• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Adopt a Newb Thread!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    While that would be ideal, it would require a lot of extra time from both parties. The quicker we can match up a newbie and a veteran, the quicker the two can bond, and the quicker the newbie will make friends and find his/her niche within the community.

Really, there are going to be at least minor issues whether the system is based on the new member adopting a veteran or vice versa. In my opinion, it would be best to instate one or the other, and just try and address the problems therein. I can see where Nick is coming from... adopting a veteran would give the new members a better chance of finding someone whom could truly help them out. Personally, however, I like idea of veterans adopting new members, since the veterans are more likely to have the confidence to send a PM and get the ball rolling.

Would mandatory notifications be out of the question? I'll guess so, since they're too tall an order for some people.

Last edited:

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    This sounds like a good idea but I have no idea what I would teach them. XD;

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024

I'm not so sure that would work either.. Newbie's wouldn't know who's who, and for all they know they could pick the most hated person on PC to 'adopt' them. >A> The whole system seems a bit testy if you ask me. It's a good idea in some ways, but it will cause issues for some people. :/

I don't know. Then I guess we go back to the old fashioned "let the vet choose the newb"? I mean, you do have a pretty valid point, the new people aren't going to know who's who, so I guess we have to let the vet's choose on that, unless there's some loophole to having the new people choose but...now that you do mention it, I'm sorta on the edge about it, too.
    View my second paragraph.

I think mentors should be at the digression of designated staff - likely you and Larry, since this is a NU/W kind of thing. And if you two feel as though someone wouldn't be a good choice for new members to be looking up to and be mentored by, you would have the right to deny them.

How about either of them choose their mentor/subordinate and if both parties like it they can agree to it?
    I was going to post about this in the post I linked above. I don't like the idea of having both parties agree. I think the adopter - if it's the newbies choosing mentors - should abide to their agreement of becoming a mentor for newcomers. If newbies contact veterans asking them if they would like to mentor them, they should agree. It'd be very difficult for a newcomer to be denied by their first choice for a mentor. And I really don't see why the mentor should have much say in it, considering it's not for them. They'd likely sign up because they want to help newcomers out anyway. Denying them their assistance is really disrespectful and could make the newcomer feel like nobody wants 'em.

While that would be ideal, it would require a lot of extra time from both parties. The quicker we can match up a newbie and a veteran, the quicker the two can bond, and the quicker the newbie will make friends and find his/her niche within the community.

Really, there are going to be at least minor issues whether the system is based on the new member adopting a veteran or vice versa. In my opinion, it would be best to instate one or the other, and just try and address the problems therein. I can see where Nick is coming from... adopting a veteran would give the new members a better chance of finding someone whom could truly help them out. Personally, however, I like idea of veterans adopting new members, since the veterans are more likely to have the confidence to send a PM and get the ball rolling.
    Good point.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    View my second paragraph.

I think mentors should be at the digression of designated staff - likely you and Larry, since this is a NU/W kind of thing. And if you two feel as though someone wouldn't be a good choice for new members to be looking up to and be mentored by, you would have the right to deny them.

I was going to post about this in the post I linked above. I don't like the idea of having both parties agree. I think the adopter - if it's the newbies choosing mentors - should abide to their agreement of becoming a mentor for newcomers. If newbies contact veterans asking them if they would like to mentor them, they should agree. It'd be very difficult for a newcomer to be denied by their first choice for a mentor. And I really don't see why the mentor should have much say in it, considering it's not for them. They'd likely sign up because they want to help newcomers out anyway. Denying them their assistance is really disrespectful and could make the newcomer feel like nobody wants 'em.

Why would they deny them in the first place if they signed up to be a mentor? I think there'd be more complaints about their mentor/subordinate being a complete dick than being denied assistance.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Why would they deny them in the first place if they signed up to be a mentor? I think there'd be more complaints about their mentor/subordinate being a complete dick than being denied assistance.
    If someone came up to you and asked you to mentor them, you checked them out, and found out that they have a lot of qualities that you just simply cannot stand in another person, would you accept to spend a majority of your time here dealing with them getting a better time here? Or would you much rather deal with someone who seems like a cool person? My point is the same as yours. Why would they deny them in the first place if they signed up to be a mentor? They shouldn't have a yes or no in the matter, but abide to their agreement to help newcomers transition, regardless if they like the person or not. They wouldn't agree to mentor someone they like, they'd agree to mentor someone new.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    If someone came up to you and asked you to mentor them, you checked them out, and found out that they have a lot of qualities that you just simply cannot stand in another person, would you accept to spend a majority of your time here dealing with them getting a better time here? Or would you much rather deal with someone who seems like a cool person? My point is the same as yours. Why would they deny them in the first place if they signed up to be a mentor? They shouldn't have a yes or no in the matter, but abide to their agreement to help newcomers transition, regardless if they like the person or not. They wouldn't agree to mentor someone they like, they'd agree to mentor someone new.

I'm not the right person to ask since I already established my opinion.

I don't know why anyone would do it, I'm just saying in the unlikely event that it happens. Hell, if people are chosen instead of it being community service, then I don't think there would be mentors who just ignore someone just based off of first impressions or whatever you want to call it. The option is also open to the newbies though, in case they get a mentor that they don't like.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm not the right person to ask since I already established my opinion.

I don't know why anyone would do it, I'm just saying in the unlikely event that it happens. Hell, if people are chosen instead of it being community service, then I don't think there would be mentors who just ignore someone just based off of first impressions or whatever you want to call it. The option is also open to the newbies though, in case they get a mentor that they don't like.
    Well, maybe there would be a possibility of it just being a mentor system. Anyone can choose anyone willing to participate. A newbie can contact a veteran who posted their agreement and willingness to participate in the transitioning of a new member to an established asset to the community and a veteran can contact a new member who's interested in having someone help them on their first few months or so here and who can help them when they want help in the future. It does keep kind of silly to restrict someone asking someone else to just newbies asking people to help them out opposed to both parties offering their hand in helping or asking for help.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Well, maybe there would be a possibility of it just being a mentor system. Anyone can choose anyone willing to participate. A newbie can contact a veteran who posted their agreement and willingness to participate in the transitioning of a new member to an established asset to the community and a veteran can contact a new member who's interested in having someone help them on their first few months or so here and who can help them when they want help in the future. It does keep kind of silly to restrict someone asking someone else to just newbies asking people to help them out opposed to both parties offering their hand in helping or asking for help.

I agree with this. The adopters can be freely listed with their mini-bios, and the new members can simply post in the official thread saying they want to be adopted if it so pleases them. Or they can specify a certain person they want to adopt them. Different new members will take different routes.

Also, an adopter should generally have a tolerant personality. Anyone that has to deal with "newbies" should. I guess that's just something an adopter should consider before they sign up.

Speaking of adopters and refusing new members... What would the limit be to how many new members a single adopter could have? Perhaps there could be a universal limit, with the option for the adopter having a lower limit. Say, adopters can never have more than three at a time, but an individual adopter can specify in their mini bio they are only willing to have two at a time.

Codyjd

PC League Wi-fi Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2011
    Maybe make it two weeks or something before an adopter can adopt again? That way when someone first joins their adopter will always have time for them, as opposed to someone adopting three newbies at once.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Haha, this sounds awesome! I am so for it! It'll (hopefully) help PC with less people breaking the rules through lack of knowledge,

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Also, an adopter should generally have a tolerant personality. Anyone that has to deal with "newbies" should. I guess that's just something an adopter should consider before they sign up.

Speaking of adopters and refusing new members... What would the limit be to how many new members a single adopter could have? Perhaps there could be a universal limit, with the option for the adopter having a lower limit. Say, adopters can never have more than three at a time, but an individual adopter can specify in their mini bio they are only willing to have two at a time.
    I think in this situation that an approval process is the main route to go. Anyone who's interested in being an adopter should post about their interest, and leave it to a designated few to decide. Like I said, I believe these few should be Drew and Larry, simply because this will all take start in NU/W. I'm sure they'll do some background check, a little bit of profile stalking, etc. to decide if someone should become an adopter. But I do agree, tolerance is something that's important.

I thought it would be more special for 1 on 1 experiences, and then when the newbie makes their way on to what the adopter believes isn't a newbie anymore, then they can go on with someone else, but that would require a lot of adopters depending on how good this goes along so that's probably not the best route. I like the idea of letting an adopter themselves limit their adoptions to a specific number as well as having a set limit of adoptions allowed. 3 seems like a nice, solid number. At least in the beginning of it all. It can always be increased as time goes on.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • Back when I lurked in the New User area, I pretty much did this anyway, minus listings, applications, and stuff. No need to have a thread for it.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Back when I lurked in the New User area, I pretty much did this anyway, minus listings, applications, and stuff. No need to have a thread for it.
    Afraid I have to disagree with you, champ. There's definitely a need for a system like this, as many of our new members go about the boards each day practically groping in the dark.

Sure, we can help by posting in their introductions. We can tell them to read the rules and the FAQ and offer our assistance if they have any questions, but let's face it, it takes a while to learn the ins and outs of any community, and approaching someone with a question out of the blue can be intimidating - to some, it's even terrifying. Starting out with a buddy right off the bat who's there to answer your questions and make your first few days here a bit less awkward will be immensely helpful to many new members.

Plus, it'll help get more people to take an active role in welcoming new members. But hey, if you wanna help the way it is now, far be it from me to stop you! ^^

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Starting out with a buddy right off the bat who's there to answer your questions and make your first few days here a bit less awkward will be immensely helpful to many new members.

Yeahhh, true facts.

To me it seems like a good way to make the New Users area as a whole more amusing to new members, which is fairly awesome. As well as making the first few days / weeks here for newbies easier, and less overwhelming. I know it also might make it harder for some, but that there's also no obligation to it. D; Newbies that don't wanna participate, don't have to, IMO.

This will have cons, but also pros, and that's just the way it goes. So many people are putting so much thought into this, that by the time / if it starts up, we'll probably know pretty much exactly how it needs to go. xD I had no idea that the topic would have this much input.. it's nice, though. (b ' ')b

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

• I think in this situation that an approval process is the main route to go. Anyone who's interested in being an adopter should post about their interest, and leave it to a designated few to decide. Like I said, I believe these few should be Drew and Larry, simply because this will all take start in NU/W. I'm sure they'll do some background check, a little bit of profile stalking, etc. to decide if someone should become an adopter. But I do agree, tolerance is something that's important.

I agree that an approval process is a great idea. I just... feel hesitant on throwing any ideas out that would require extra work on the mods part. x3 But of course if the mods are willing it's a great idea to have an approval process.

Starting out with a buddy right off the bat who's there to answer your questions and make your first few days here a bit less awkward will be immensely helpful to many new members.

Goooosh I know this feeling so much. I think I probably mentioned this early in the thread, but the entire reason I thought to post this here was because of the satisfaction I felt using it elsewhere and thought "PC needs something like this."

Last edited:
    Back