• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

adults and older people playing pokemon

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    There is not issue with playing pokemon when your a adult if it is something you enjoy infact there is a member on here who is age 85.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    @OP: I personally think it's interesting and awesome to find two adults at those ages playing video games on a DSi and games like Pokémon. Good for them, they know what's up.

I'm 18 years old, and been a fan of Pokémon and video games in general for as long as I can remembered. Hopefully, I can turn out to be one of those dudes in the future who are in their 60's,70's, etc and are still playing their favorites games. There is no age or gender to play video games.

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
    I'm 23 and I play lots of games, Pokemon just happens to be one of them (one I really enjoy) and I have been playing it since 1999 when it came out in the UK. I've been struggling to find a quote that I heard a while back (it's really bugging me) but I'll paraphrase it at least: "A child seeks to grow up and demonizes what it preserves as childish in hopes of being seen as grown up. An adult however is grown up and has no need to shun what is perceived to be childish. While there exist childish activities it is not childish to participate or enjoy them, it is only childish to shun them on the grounds of being childish"

So in other words, it is good to see adults acting like adults by not caring about what might be perceived as being childish.

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
    I don't think it matters how old you are, i mean its just a harmless game.
    Heck, i'm already 21 and i'm still playing pokemon. And i've been with it from the start.

Years
    i'm twenty three and i've played every game since red and blue and i still love the series. The games look like they're designed for kids and kids can easily play them but if you rub away at the surface you can find some pretty sophisticated rpg elements. i don't think i'll ever stop playing pokemon but my days of going to the park with some mates and whipping out the handhelds and playing pokemon right there for all to see are most definately over. it's not socially acceptable for an adult to play any video games let alone pokemon although i do think in the next ten to twenty years it may become a bit more mainstream among the adult population. so in short......i like pokemon!

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Not socially acceptable? Maybe.

Is it still fun to walk around university with my Pokéwalker visible on my belt? Hell yeah.

Can't wait when I'm a teacher and I can trade Pokémon with my students, lol

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I don't see any differences whether your young or old, happiness is much more important. XD;

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Well it is a game and a hobby so it is normal indeed for adults to play. 35 or over might be a bit strange as they would have started playing the game, which was meant for children (and today is meant for teenagers and children) when Pokemon was first made, when they were still adults. It is common to find people who started playing in their teenage hood and child hood still playing when they are adults, only understandable to keep up a childhood hobby. I might stop playing when I start traveling when I finish school or find commitments elsewhere that leaves no time for games.

However there is no way I would publicly go to a Pokemon event in my 20's. I don't want to be looked upon how Trekkie's are XD

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
    35 or over might be a bit strange as they would have started playing the game, which was meant for children (and today is meant for teenagers and children) when Pokemon was first made, when they were still adults.

Actually the way that Nintendo is really pushing its consoles as appliances, not just game devices, like with Wii Fit, and all the DS "Coach" games, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some adult, even middle aged and above, start to drift over to the real games and see what they're all about. I'm sure puzzle games could be excellent gateways into the rest, hahah.

Plus I know some gamers are getting their boyfriends or girlfriends to try things out, and in addition, I bet some parents would get a game for their kid, and maybe try it themselves.

But you have a point, and mainly because like some people have been saying, part of it's a generation thing. People who started playing when they were kids are the mostly likely ones to still be playing it as adults. I started the Christmas after Red and Blue came out in North America, and never really stopped, and now I'm 28, and really looking forward to Black and White!

I don't think an adult playing, say, Dragon Warrior Monsters would get a weird look. It's just that Pokemon has lots of kiddie baggage because of the TV show and the massive fad back around 1999-2000 and stuff.

Years
    If anyone thinks people 18 and over are too old for kid's games, you have never been to university. In my university, we had a schoolwide zombie infestation and a lightsaber battle royale. And a lot of us are looking forward to Black and White.

Back