• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • That's too risky of a sale for me to take, personally. :/ I would honestly look the other way. It all sounds sketchy.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Hey guys, interested in picking up Sapphire, Leaf Green and Emerald cartridges. I found some for sale on a local advertisement site, but I'm not sure about them.

The link, for anyone who's interested in helping me decide: https://www.adverts.ie/games/pokemo...set-of-5-or-individual-dsl-dsi-dslite/4702735

Basically, the issues I have are:
    1. they're pretty cheap. Here in Ireland, these generally sell for 12-15 a pop. The price worries me.
    2. No real pictures of carts.
    3. The use of the term "brand new"
    4. Fails to respond to myself, as well as other users, about whether or not the carts are "cheap knockoffs from China".
    5. He sells them for this price on eBay. Srsly how many games does he have? :/

If anyone can contribute to this I'd be delighted to hear what you have to say!
    Thanks!

I wouldn't go for it either. It sounds too good to be true, he/she must have have pirated them or something, since he/she doesn't reply to you guys, and shows no pictures of them. It's better to just find them somewhere else, but its up to you. I wouldn't do it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Hey guys, interested in picking up Sapphire, Leaf Green and Emerald cartridges. I found some for sale on a local advertisement site, but I'm not sure about them.

The link, for anyone who's interested in helping me decide: https://www.adverts.ie/games/pokemo...set-of-5-or-individual-dsl-dsi-dslite/4702735

1. they're pretty cheap. Here in Ireland, these generally sell for 12-15 a pop. The price worries me.
    4. Fails to respond to myself, as well as other users, about whether or not the carts are "cheap knockoffs from China".

Thanks!

If I was you, I wouldn't really go for it. I only buy cartridges that I know are 100% legit. Most brand new carts cost around £30-£50, while the used go for £20-ish. If they can't respond to you, most likely it's fake. I'd say you find a more reliable seller, because trust me. There are a bunch of fake sellers out there, and you do NOT want a fake cartridge!

If he's selling them on eBay too, plus the low price, it's most likely they're going to be a fake cartridge. You can still go for it, but I'd recommend not to. Good luck getting a legit cartridge :)

Years
  • Hey guys, interested in picking up Sapphire, Leaf Green and Emerald cartridges. I found some for sale on a local advertisement site, but I'm not sure about them.

Thanks!

Dont buy them, even if they would play and save, they are probably not 100% real and their save files would have gotten erased as soon as you'd put them in DS.
    Not to mention that someone who is trying to sell genuine cartridges, would put a real picture, and not the first thing that pops up on google.
    I wouldn't buy :D

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Hi guys, I am trying to get a Surskit swarm to activate in Emerald by mixing records. However, the News flash is not appearing. Do I need to keep mixing records and check a TV every time till it activates, or will it eventually appear?

are there any tips as to how the get the Surskit swarm to activate?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Hi guys, I am trying to get a Surskit swarm to activate in Emerald by mixing records. However, the News flash is not appearing. Do I need to keep mixing records and check a TV every time till it activates, or will it eventually appear?

I'm pretty sure it will eventually appear.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This might sound like a dumb question JD, but the battery is working right? I don't think swarms can happen if time based events aren't happening.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Hi guys, I am trying to get a Surskit swarm to activate in Emerald by mixing records. However, the News flash is not appearing. Do I need to keep mixing records and check a TV every time till it activates, or will it eventually appear?

There's no tips I could give you, as it's all random. You have to get lucky with it, just make sure to check the TV everyday. I think they might be rare, though. Just try for a little more and you might get it :D

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure it will eventually appear.
    That's not very helpful... :( How do you know?
    This might sound like a dumb question JD, but the battery is working right? I don't think swarms can happen if time based events aren't happening.
    Time events seem to be working. I get other TV events to appear the first time I mix records, but repeating it with the same Ruby/Sapphire game doesn't seem to cause any new TV events to appear.
    There's no tips I could give you, as it's all random. You have to get lucky with it, just make sure to check the TV everyday. I think they might be rare, though. Just try for a little more and you might get it :D
    Does that mean that mixing records with a particular R/S save file every day will change what events appear?
    --
    There doesn't seem to be any concrete info on how the Mixing Records actually activates TV events - is there anyone out there who might know about that?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    That's not very helpful... :( How do you know?

Time events seem to be working. I get other TV events to appear the first time I mix records, but repeating it with the same Ruby/Sapphire game doesn't seem to cause any new TV events to appear.

Does that mean that mixing records with a particular R/S save file every day will change what events appear?
    --
    There doesn't seem to be any concrete info on how the Mixing Records actually activates TV events - is there anyone out there who might know about that?

Well because you already mixed records, I don't think Gamefreak would have made it that you have to do the same thing again.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • That's too risky of a sale for me to take, personally. :/ I would honestly look the other way. It all sounds sketchy.

I wouldn't go for it either. It sounds too good to be true, he/she must have have pirated them or something, since he/she doesn't reply to you guys, and shows no pictures of them. It's better to just find them somewhere else, but its up to you. I wouldn't do it.

If I was you, I wouldn't really go for it. I only buy cartridges that I know are 100% legit. Most brand new carts cost around £30-£50, while the used go for £20-ish. If they can't respond to you, most likely it's fake. I'd say you find a more reliable seller, because trust me. There are a bunch of fake sellers out there, and you do NOT want a fake cartridge!

If he's selling them on eBay too, plus the low price, it's most likely they're going to be a fake cartridge. You can still go for it, but I'd recommend not to. Good luck getting a legit cartridge :)

Dont buy them, even if they would play and save, they are probably not 100% real and their save files would have gotten erased as soon as you'd put them in DS.
    Not to mention that someone who is trying to sell genuine cartridges, would put a real picture, and not the first thing that pops up on google.
    I wouldn't buy :D

Thanks for all your advise guys! I think I'll take you up on that, even though it's depressing and makes finding Sapphire, Emerald and Leaf Green all that much harder......

Another question just before I go: If I do pick up a sapphire/emerald and the save file...
    1:is this down to a battery,

and 2: Can I change batteries in games without having to solder? I have very limited experience with soldering and no equipment to do it, so I'd prefer not to....

Years
  • Thanks for all your advise guys! I think I'll take you up on that, even though it's depressing and makes finding Sapphire, Emerald and Leaf Green all that much harder......

Another question just before I go: If I do pick up a sapphire/emerald and the save file...
    1:is this down to a battery,

and 2: Can I change batteries in games without having to solder? I have very limited experience with soldering and no equipment to do it, so I'd prefer not to....

No problem, I know how hard it is to get Pokemon games. If it means anything to you(probably not but just to show you you're not the only one having this problem), it took me half a year to get Yellow and Crystal, and after a year of careful search on internet, I finally found a legit Fire red last month.
    Emerald is up next.

I dont understand the first question, and the save file...what? xD

2. I dont know what it looks in GBA cartridges but I assume it's the same as in the GB games, I changed my Crystal battery, it's really not that hard, and this is coming from a guy who is really not a hand worker lol. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing you what to do. And try to avoid soldering cos if you are not super careful with it, you can easily mess up the game. Just use the electrical tape. Even if you break off one of the metal battery handler you can just tape in, but very tightly, and it should be all good, I believe. A guy on youtube broke it off and he showed that you just have to tape everything together.
    Just be careful not to make the whole thing too swollen so you can put back the top part back onto the cartridge.

I hope this helps.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • No problem, I know how hard it is to get Pokemon games. If it means anything to you(probably not but just to show you you're not the only one having this problem), it took me half a year to get Yellow and Crystal, and after a year of careful search on internet, I finally found a legit Fire red last month.
    Emerald is up next.
    It is pretty frustrating, and cause of the age of Sapphire and Emerald the internal batteries are all dying so not many of them work :( We have a Ruby version that's like that, but thankfully it's only for time based events really :)

I dont understand the first question, and the save file...what? xD
    Derp, I'm such an idiot. I posted that at 5 this morning, obviously! :P If the save file is corrupt I think I meant :P

So if the save file is corrupt, can that be resolved by simply replacing the battery? :)

2. I dont know what it looks in GBA cartridges but I assume it's the same as in the GB games, I changed my Crystal battery, it's really not that hard, and this is coming from a guy who is really not a hand worker lol. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing you what to do. And try to avoid soldering cos if you are not super careful with it, you can easily mess up the game. Just use the electrical tape. Even if you break off one of the metal battery handler you can just tape in, but very tightly, and it should be all good, I believe. A guy on youtube broke it off and he showed that you just have to tape everything together.
    Just be careful not to make the whole thing too swollen so you can put back the top part back onto the cartridge.

I hope this helps.
    I changed my Gold version one A good while back too :) I was just concerned about the fact that it's recommended to solder for Gen3 games, but if I can do it with tape then with tape it shall be! :)

Years
  • It is pretty frustrating, and cause of the age of Sapphire and Emerald the internal batteries are all dying so not many of them work :( We have a Ruby version that's like that, but thankfully it's only for time based events really :)

Derp, I'm such an idiot. I posted that at 5 this morning, obviously! :P If the save file is corrupt I think I meant :P

So if the save file is corrupt, can that be resolved by simply replacing the battery? :)

I changed my Gold version one A good while back too :) I was just concerned about the fact that it's recommended to solder for Gen3 games, but if I can do it with tape then with tape it shall be! :)

Yea, the battery on my Sapphire died as well.
    I hope the next Emeral game I find will have it running, I want to grow berries, and I want the Lilycove sales out to happen as well.

If the save file on FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire is corrupted, the game is either:
    1. Fake
    2. Damaged

Either way, you want to avoid that.
    I'm not an expert but from what I understood, battery in 3rd gen games affect only, and ONLY daily events, and save file shouldn't be affected by it.

Wait I didnt say I am sure it should be tape, I know only for the gen I/II games, you should really ask someone who did this before, and check youtube videos. I'm only guessing so dont hold to my word xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Either way, you want to avoid that.
    I'm not an expert but from what I understood, battery in 3rd gen games affect only, and ONLY daily events, and save file shouldn't be affected by it.

Just affirming this to be correct. If your save file disappears, you've got another problem on your case. However, I did have a file on my Sapphire delete itself (I'm not even joking), but then an hour later I turned the game back on to restart after I got over the shock and...it was back. My copy is completely legit. Bought it on release day in 2003 in KB Toys and everything. So I'm going to take that as some crazy fluke, so don't let my story scare you too much. But a dead battery (which is wasn't at the time) shouldn't case that to happen.

As for replacing batteries in GBA games, I'm pretty sure it's possible. You could look up videos of it, I'm sure.

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
    Years
  • Got a question for you guys. I'm making a somewhat competitive team; me and my friend have trading cables and do battles. I'm not breeding perfect IVs or anything, since there's no reliable way to do it (ILU DESTINY KNOT). Just natures and EV training.

I'm gonna train a Salamence. Most likely it'll look like this:

@ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
    - Earthquake
    - Aerial Ace/Dragon Claw
    - Dragon Dance
    - Fire Blast

Now, I think with Dragon Dance + EVs I won't really need a +Atk or +Speed nature. I was thinking a defensive one, like Impish (+Def/-SpA) or Careful (+SpDef/-SpA). Do you think it's a good idea?

I'll probably come back with some more questions, glad to see this thread is still active. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Sounds like a plan to me. :) This would enable it to withstand a few hits, while still being able to sweep. This wouldn't be that helpful competitively, in ny opinion, but since it's in-game, that's a total different story.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Got a question for you guys. I'm making a somewhat competitive team; me and my friend have trading cables and do battles. I'm not breeding perfect IVs or anything, since there's no reliable way to do it (ILU DESTINY KNOT). Just natures and EV training.

I'm gonna train a Salamence. Most likely it'll look like this:

@ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
    - Earthquake
    - Aerial Ace/Dragon Claw
    - Dragon Dance
    - Fire Blast

Now, I think with Dragon Dance + EVs I won't really need a +Atk or +Speed nature. I was thinking a defensive one, like Impish (+Def/-SpA) or Careful (+SpDef/-SpA). Do you think it's a good idea?

I'll probably come back with some more questions, glad to see this thread is still active. :)

I would advise no. You still want to hit with as much damage as possible.

@ Choice Band
    Moves:
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Steel Wing
    Double Edge/Crunch

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

But like Peitharchia said, if it's for in-game then go with your plan :)

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
    Years
  • Sounds like a plan to me. :) This would enable it to withstand a few hits, while still being able to sweep. This wouldn't be that helpful competitively, in ny opinion, but since it's in-game, that's a total different story.

I would advise no. You still want to hit with as much damage as possible.

@ Choice Band
    Moves:
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Steel Wing
    Double Edge/Crunch

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

But like Peitharchia said, if it's for in-game then go with your plan :)

Thanks for the replies! Yeah its kind of competitive. Not like XY competitive, just old school cable battling with some friends. I still wanna win tho!

So i got a Ditto with Adamant nature...i should breed adamant bagons then, yes?

Also, Dragon attacks are special in 3rd gen right? Its the only one i cant remember. Too used to the current attack categorizing.

...and breeding carries over 3 of either parents IVs, right? Sorry for so many questions, old school breedings just a pain...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back