• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advantages of Pokemon Refresh.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    Soo can you guys explain to me what the advantages are of petting and feeding and keeping your pokemons affection, fullness, and enjoyment up? There has to be somthing to it right? Maybe i missed it in the game? But is there a reason too keep up on this or is it just somthing added too the game for fun?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    Well, for one thing, you can heal your Pokemon from status conditions in Pokemon Refresh. It's not a huge deal or anything, but if you're busy and too far from a Pokemon Center to make the trip worth it, it'll save you having to use a Paralyze Heal, Awakening, etc. So that's pretty cool! Aside from that, it's basically this generation's version of Pokemon Amie. There are Pokemon that level up based on Affection in Amie/Refresh (i.e. Sylveon)

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    Well, for one thing, you can heal your Pokemon from status conditions in Pokemon Refresh. It's not a huge deal or anything, but if you're busy and too far from a Pokemon Center to make the trip worth it, it'll save you having to use a Paralyze Heal, Awakening, etc. So that's pretty cool! Aside from that, it's basically this generation's version of Pokemon Amie. There are Pokemon that level up based on Affection in Amie/Refresh (i.e. Sylveon)

Gotcha so as far as you know it doesnt make your pokemon stronger or fight better in anyway? Soo if you went online and battled a trainer who never pet or feed there pokemon and yours are all full in those catagories would it make any difference?

Years
    Like what was said just above, having maxed affection allows your Pokemon to have a chance to survive a lethal hit with 1 HP, similar to Sturdy and the Focus Sash. Having high affection also raises a chance of avoiding opponent's attacks or landing critical hits.

Also, Pokemon Refresh can be accessed at the end of a battle by pressing Y. Grooming Pokemon and using the medicine to cure status conditions also raise affection so it's definitely worth doing it after every battle. I also feel it's an improvement over Pokemon Amie, because you don't have to play annoying minigames constantly.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
    There are SO many advantages to Pokemon Refresh. You gain a boosted amount of XP, the "focus sash" effect, your Pokemon will randomly "break through" status conditions (sometimes on the same turn they were inflicted with it), your Pokemon will avoid more attacks, your Pokemon will land more critical hits, and the list goes on. Definitely worth taking the time to flick your stylus around a little.

One more point, as far as I know, all of the effects of having high affection DO NOT COUNT in online battles. So no, there's no point if you're battling competitively. However for story content, it's the way to go.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    If your pokemon's affection towards you is really high they will have to chance to do a couple of things in battle. I have noticed my pokemon dodge attacks , Thaw out from being frozen, get a critical hit, and survive with 1 HP.

Years
    On the topic of affection benefits, if you can get a Pokemon's Affection to Level 2 (as in have two hearts filled) you get a slight boost to EXP gained from a battle, and given this game has 5th Gen EXP mechanics and no free Lucky Egg handed to you, it's actually worth boosting affection in this game.

blue

gucci
    Years
    The two benefits that really stand out for me are the Exp gain boost and the fact that your Pokémon can endure hits with 1HP. I'd say it is worth maxing out the hearts for sure!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I've noticed a lot:
    - Pretty sure that if you have a high enough affection you gain more EXP
    - Your Pokemon can survive with 1 HP
    - Your Pokemon can heal itself of status conditions without you having to use an item
    - Your Pokemon hits critical hits more often
    - Also, if you feed your Pokemon a lot of Poke Beans, the dude in the PMC cafe gives you a Rare Candy every once in a while

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    There are five heart levels in refresh. I don't know how its different from friendship, but here are the benefits of each heart value.
    2 hearts: Gains 20% more exp each battle.
    3 hearts: Chance to survive a fatal blow.
    4 hearts: Chance to evade attacks, regardless of accuracy or evasion. Chance to cure itself from a status condition. Fatal blow survival chances increase.
    5 hearts: +1 critical hit ratio. Fatal blow survival chances increase.

So, if you need to level up a Pokemon, pet it and fill it with beans to try and get it to two hearts. The other three are useful against the Elite Four and in the Battle Tree.

Years
    The Refresh also seems to not be a grind like how it felt in Gen 6th and taking forever. It feels Poke Refresh isnt that time consuming. I like that.

This.

Refresh is basically Amie simplified. You no longer have to do those annoying minigames constantly, which to me were Amie's biggest flaw. The facial recognition also got removed likely due to how bad it was in 6th Gen. Even getting Poke Beans takes very little to no effort once you have Poke Pelago since you can just tap the beanstalk with your stylus and have beans fall out.

MaSterBarth

Pokemon MaSter
    Years
    Affection has always been a seperate thing in gen 6th. It's just easier to manage and also at times more enjoyable. The focus is on playing and enjoying the games.

Back