• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Aesthetic changes during battles (Moves, Abilities, etc.)

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
  • As we have seen, Game Freak has made a modest effort towards beautifying the battle scenes. However, there are many small aesthetic additions that would make the game that much more realistic and appealing.

For example, Kecleon's "Color Change" ability could actually change Kecleon's color in battle to reflect it's new type.

What other small additions would you like to see in terms of visual representations of game mechanics?

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • In battle mode I'd rather see a Pokemon actually fly with its wings when it uses fly, rather than turn into a stupid bubble. Also I want a Pokemon use its legs for moves such as Jump Kick and Low Sweep. But on both cases we're probably gonna need some new sprites for this to take effect.

I like your idea of Color Change reflecting the user's new type, but as Kecleon is Green and a Normal type, how could we distribute this color from the Grass type?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Burned and frozen Pokemon should definitely be shown as such. Paralyzed they could stop moving too I guess.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When your Pokémon are using Draco Meteor, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, and some other special attacks, it would be nice if they actually showed us how they were executing it. Also, when Pokémon get hit by Spore (or any other moves that make them fall asleep), it would be quite awesome if they made us able to see them close their eyes and lay down to the ground. d:

Last edited:

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • One thing I'd love to see is for moves like flamethrower that come out of the pokemon's mouth, to line up with the mouth. In earlier games since the move animation is separate, and imposed over the pokemon, whether it lines up to the targets mouth is dependent on the hight of the pokemon. Sometimes it even appears 'over' the pokemon depending on how far forward it is

Typhon

'sup
    Years
  • It's great that they've made it more realistic, as before they were just moving in their spot. Even though they still kinda do it now, I think that they've made a drastic improvement to the attacks. Especially Brave Bird. My jaw opened when I saw that. From Gen V to something like that... It is truly amazing.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • Also, when Pokémon get hit by Spore (or any other moves that make them fall asleep), it would be quite awesome if they made us able to see them close their eyes and lay down to the ground. d:

Actually they already do this in Gen 5 the eyes are closed and their animations move slower as if they were just sleeping standing up. I think Slaking is the only one to actually "lay down and sleep"

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    Considering the power of the 3DS and the storage available I do want to see a lot of graphical upgrades in-battle (considering I don't like the over world graphics at all). Making pokémon close their eyes while sleeping in Gen 5 was a good start and I'd like to see special animations for all status effects.

Seeing pokémon actually fly upwards and swooping down to attack with a move like fly for example would be great to see as well as other attacks like Shadow Force.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I wonder about how they'll handle the items more this time around, koff~

I think the new battle system will look wonderful, but I agree that certain moves should show a few things better. Some people have already mentioned flamethrower. I wonder how curse, throwing pokeballs, and lick will look. Will the pokemon's tongue be able to actually lick the pokemon, or is it just going to be a special animation instead?

I liked how the bag functioned in Pokemon Soul Silver Version, but not so much in Pokemon White Version. It was nice that the fifth generation added a button that could sort the entire bag, but they combined held items with other usable items that made finding things such as repel or escape ropes a pain. I hope they separate the new bag into more compartments. Pokeballs, Items (holdable and none holdable), etc. I believe when it's separated into more compartments (not too many though) it's handled better.

I'd also like to see what they're going to be doing with the berries. Certain berries, like the anti-super-effective berries might receive an anti-fairy berry (none of this makes any sense. Ignore this sentence inside the parenthesis) I'd also like to see what other berries they can come up with, and be able to use all of them and not just the battle use ones like they did in Generation V. Will you see Pokemon actually eat the berry it's holding? Or will it just be "x ate the berry!"

Also the contest/side quests. What will that stuff look like? Will we have ribbons again? I enjoyed gathering ribbons for certain Pokemon and gathered all the gold leaves for my Kingdra in Soul Silver.

Also, held items. Will we be able to see certain items being held? Like the King's Rock, it sits on the head if I'm not mistaken, so shouldn't Pikachu be waltzing around with a crown? Or the Black Glasses? I can't tell you how much I'll make my non-dark pokemon wear that if it shows. And scarves and hats, weights and orbs. That sort of thing, koffi~

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    There is already footage shown of fennekin flamethrowerin' out of its neck... I am pretty disappointed with that, I hoped they would've fixed that by now.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Burned and frozen Pokemon should definitely be shown as such. Paralyzed they could stop moving too I guess.
    You're in luck, Pokemon are shown frozen in a block of ice.

Aesthetic changes during battles (Moves, Abilities, etc.)

The image was posted on the official site when Aurorus was revealed. I'm pretty sure this is a picture of the status condition, not the move Freeze Dry, because the image before this is what I believe the move looks like and this one supported the claim that Freeze Dry has a high freeze rate.

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
  • I wanna see them actually confused and no ducks or anything, like swirlies for eyes and actually showing them hitting themselves with the attack they were going to use

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Aesthetic changes during battles (Moves, Abilities, etc.)

Seems as if we have new sprites in X and Y. Really digging them, they look so much more detailed and accurate than the old ones. The new ones are the green and yellow ones, and the ones with the X on them are unchanged.

Years
  • Aesthetic changes during battles (Moves, Abilities, etc.)

Seems as if we have new sprites in X and Y. Really digging them, they look so much more detailed and accurate than the old ones. The new ones are the green and yellow ones, and the ones with the X on them are unchanged.

Yeah I wasn't expecting slightly modified mini sprites on most of the old Pokemon, but while some appear to have unchanged appearance, they did get some color edits. I noticed out of the ones that have an unchanged sprite as shown in the pic (Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus, Mienfoo, Serperior, Munna, Zoroark, Charmeleon, Charizard, Gliscor, Hydreigon, Staraptor, Krookodile, Druddigon and Absol) they did get slightly modified colors while some others appear to have not only changed appearance but also colors. When a mini sprite for Mewtwo shown in the screenshot of Super Training first came up, there was a feeling that most other old Pokemon were getting a similar treatment.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • One thing I've wanted for a long time is something which competitive players would probably dislike... for Hidden Power to be color-coordinated based on its type. It's always gotten on my nerves how it's displayed as orange energy-gathering and green energy-release, along with how (outside of simulators), it's displayed as a boring normal type move. I'd like it to be a pretty light blue when its ice, or a blazing red when fire.

Trying to predict what type of Hidden Power your opponent is running is part of competitive strategy, hence why I think competitive people might dislike it. Then again, they usually run the same types of HP, give or take, so perhaps it would matter the least for them.

I'd also like to see what they're going to be doing with the berries. Certain berries, like the anti-super-effective berries might receive an anti-fairy berry (none of this makes any sense. Ignore this sentence inside the parenthesis) I'd also like to see what other berries they can come up with, and be able to use all of them and not just the battle use ones like they did in Generation V. Will you see Pokemon actually eat the berry it's holding? Or will it just be "x ate the berry!"
    I think the most recent Pokemon Smash showed a berry being eaten to cure freeze-status... personally, I didn't like it. (It featured Mega Blaziken, Ampharos, Shedinja, and Slowbro battling. I'm too lazy to dig it up.)

Back