• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen All DW Pokemon art revealed

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    The DW Art has made so many ugly pokemon look great XD Some of the art is a little crappy but most of it is great! Crimigan does look good in that pose still don't like it XD and so does a lot of others like:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

There are so many more I like, but some I dislike too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They're fairly neat--vector/cel shaded style and Ken Sugimori's style are two different things and it isn't fair to compare the two. The Dream World style is meant to be flat-shaded to work with Flash rather than something meant to stand on its own (like in an art book). The vector art is also supposed to 'pop' out of the page where the backgrounds are made to look like a story book illustration, which it does. There was probably a limited color palette that the designers had to stick to (owing to the nature of the program) which might explain why the colors are so off on a number of the Pokemon.

There are a few neat poses in the Dream World art and I think it works for the medium. Personally I like Sugimori's art style better, but it's always interesting to see how other artists interpret the same designs with their own medium.

Flash does not have a limited colour palette - and neither does the SWF file format in general.

Years
    I love the Wobbuffet. :D
    It's caption should be: WOBBUFFET! :)

Also, CASTFORM. Yay :D
    And for some reason, Tirtouga looks surprisingly blue... I thought it had a grey shell?
    Vanilluxe looks just like it's in game graphic :)

-totodile42

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I mentioned this in someone's blog IIRC, but I love Jirachu's DW art. It's so adorable. :3 Lugia's is pretty epic too. :D

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    All DW Pokemon art revealed

Where's the peace sign D:

Adam.

Knowledge isn't everything.
    Years
    I love how most of the Pokemon have different poses as to what we see in their sprites, such as Vuljina soaring instead of just sitting their; just gives them a bit more class. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    I love how most of the Pokemon have different poses as to what we see in their sprites, such as Vuljina soaring instead of just sitting their; just gives them a bit more class. :)
    Yes, that is one thing makes the artwork more interesting. Also beacuse it's not the usual Sugimori style, it's something meant to be different. I don't see why people should call the style lazy due to lack of shading/thick lineart; it's more-so a simple yet still effective style.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'd like to see a bit more discussion here, so I'm bumping it.

Anyway, I'm taking a liking to Hydreigon's DW art:
    Spoiler:

It looks a lot more intimidating than its original art.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I'd like to see a bit more discussion here, so I'm bumping it.

Anyway, I'm taking a liking to Hydreigon's DW art:
    Spoiler:

It looks a lot more intimidating than its original art.

I actually totally dislike everything about that art work for Hydreigon :/ I don;t like how the tip of the tail and the legs are drawn and I don't like how the eyes of the two smaller heads are closed nor how the main head has no pupils. the belly is far too round also, but that is just me.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    It looks like there was very minimal planning in the design and the artists just went with the "Ehh. I'll improve as I go" motto. Some are great, but others.... Well... I did better than that when I was 10, messing around with Flash :P

Back