• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Altered Emerald (386+ patch with new maps and 7th gen battle engine/evos)

What's your rating, guys?

• ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 352 70.8%
  • ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 115 23.1%
  • ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • ✰ ✰

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters

luuma

searching for Meaning, offering HA numel
Years
May I know why you decided to make Ice immune to Water?

Since surf, dive, and waterfall are all tm/hm moves, Water types have a really solid set of offensive options and get resisted only by other water types, rare dragon types, and grass types. Two out of those are countered by ice beam, which most water types have access to too. That's compounded by me adding reuseable tms.

Basically, all water types get perfect coverage move sets as standard, with no need to run anything else since the only thing resisting both those types is... water. I wanted water type movesets to require thought, and rather than screwing over their coverage I thought I'd force them to run more of it. That meant I needed to make a type that was resistant to ice resist water too.

Ice has 4 weaknesses and resists only Ice. The fact that it has a stunning offensive typing doesn't matter when most of those that wield it are defensively orientated in the first place. I wanted to do something to nerf offensive water types and buff defensive ice types, and a change that does almost nothing to water/ice types seemed pretty good. Now piloswine is solid, sneasel is a stunning little switch in, jynx, glalie, delibird, and regice get some benefits too.

Two birds with one stone, and thematically fitting!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 27, 2023
Seems like you've put a lot of thought into it.

Thanks for explaining!

I'm currently playing your hack and if it's okay I'll post the issues I've encountered.

There's no color coding for stats based on nature.

Scott event in front of Wally's house. Scott walks through the guy to talk to you.
Spoiler:

Hoppip is off-center.
Spoiler:

Formula for money lost is not updated to later gens. It's still half of your money each time.

And this.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

luuma

Years
issues I've encounteredI'm happy to add a "show ivs and natures" script but in general think they just make you resent your bros midway through the game in a gen where I have added absolutely no breeding mechanics at all. I'll keep it in mind if and when I fix the destiny knot! edit: this is in the next patch now

This is exactly how the sprite looks in pokémon emerald

Lost money not being the later gen formula is a great catch but that's battle engine stuff and although I'm getting to grips with how to fix these sorts of things. I've told the people who made the battle engine I'm using. Might put it in myself but would take a lot of time an it's a subjective thing whether either formula is better

the two glitches are fixed in the next patch! That won't come out until I fix briney. I haven't ever been able to replicate the issue, so someone needs to send a save file my way if that's poss, sorry for the wait.

edit 2: lunos' glitch and confusing bits are cleaned up in the next patch too

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 27, 2023
I did not know there's no breeding mechanics here at all. I find that kind of sad since I've always like breeding perfect mons. But I haven't even reached half the game yet so we'll see how that affects things.

This is very subjective but I've always hated how the old formula for money lost worked. To the extent where I never really "lost" any battle because I soft reset the second that happens.

I'm liking your game so far. I think the routes look prettier with your changes. And the Pokedex entries especially haha.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
How can I reach this item?
Spoiler:

If you use the Mach Bike, you can't pass through the tall grass and that seems to be the only way to pick it up.

EDIT: Also, how can I enter in Fortree City? An invisible Kecleon's blocking my path but I naturally didn't got the Devon Scope yet.
Spoiler:

EDIT2: Since the doubts were answered through Discord, I'm gonna drop 'em over here, just in case.
The item's reachable with both bikes (you get the opposite bike in Route 126) and using the HM01 in the Tall Grass like this.
As for Fortree City, Scott comes and talks to you after you beat your rival, in that dialogue he tells you to go to the Route 123.

EDIT3: Found a game breaking bug and lost a chunk of progress yet again.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

luuma

Years
EDIT2: Since the doubts were answered through Discord, I'm gonna drop 'em over here, just in case...
EDIT3: Found a game breaking bug and lost a chunk of progress yet again.
I've updated early to get both game crashes you've encountered out of the way asap. Check my signature and the thread header for more details, it's a good patch!

Sadly since I'm now using kda's new overworld engine all old save files will crash if they load you on any overworld route. Here's how to avoid that:
-Save the game in your old version using the SAVE option in the menu (ofc), then save the game using vba's save state function
-Load the save state (.sav file) of the old version in the updated game. if you're looking at the overworld, it'll prevent you from moving
-use your emulator's reset function and load your "in-game" savefrom the title screen

alternately if you save while viewing the bag I think the glitch is avoided

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I've updated early to get both game crashes you've encountered out of the way asap. Check my signature and the thread header for more details, it's a good patch!

Sadly since I'm now using kda's new overworld engine all old save files will crash if they load you on any overworld route. Here's how to avoid that:
-Save the game in your old version using the SAVE option in the menu (ofc), then save the game using vba's save state function
-Load the save state (.sav file) of the old version in the updated game. if you're looking at the overworld, it'll prevent you from moving
-use your emulator's reset function and load your "in-game" savefrom the title screen

alternately if you save while viewing the bag I think the glitch is avoided

Thanks to mGBA I'm kind of starting to stop using save states, so that won't be a problem.
Basically, what you're saying is that I should save In-Game, patch a Clean Emerald ROM with Altered Emerald's .IPS and then just rename the .sa1 file to whatever name the ROM has, right?
Welp, I've done so and the boxes in Mauville reappeared, even though I still have 5 badges.
Spoiler:

I think I'll just start a new save, giving me the exact same Pok?mon I have right now and rush through the whole game until I reach the point where I was at.

EDIT: Started a new savefile and now May looks at the opposite side in the scripted events in the beginning of the game.
ZIP6lCc.png

Last edited:

luuma

Years
Thanks to mGBA I'm kind of starting to stop using save states, so that won't be a problem.

ive fixed the glitch with facing odd ways and put out a patch for it, I'm never rushing out a patch again lmao

mauville boxes reappeared because I'm using a different flag for them now. they are the only things i have changed the flag for, so they'll be there forever in your save file, but nothing else will be affected. since you can fly to routes now this has very little impact. I can change the flag back but I changed it because he and i have trust issues

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
ive fixed the glitch with facing odd ways and put out a patch for it, I'm never rushing out a patch again lmao
Wait, so there was another release since yesterday? Could you maybe add version numbers or at least a date of release so it's easier to follow?

Last edited:
Years
bUANjbq.png

There seems to be a misplaced movement permission here ...
Can't enter the cave now ...
(new save on the latest patch)

luuma

Years
There seems to be a misplaced movement permission here ...
Can't enter the cave now ...
(new save on the latest patch)

sweet jesus that's bad. I've fixed it, along with a little change to route 123, will be updated in 5 mins

edit: done, regretting uploading that last patch early quite a bit. Combing through it now, joy of joys

Last edited:

Hanbae333

Elusive Wildebeest
Years
Hmm. Decided to do a new run, and was excited to use a sustain Breloom with Poison Heal and Strength Sap/Bulk Up. However, not too long after starting my run, I got poisoned. Poison Heal works fine, my issue is the ow poison. I get wanting to keep it in due to immersion- though I do believe it is overkill in general- but it just makes me not want to use poison heal, because the ow poison undermines the battle benefit. Maybe give Poison Heal users immuniy to ow poison.

Anyway, I enjoy the hack, and I have been for a while. Keep up the good work. I'll be glad to see any changes, whether they involve ow poison or not

Hanbae333

Elusive Wildebeest
Years
I would even remove overworld poison completely. And have it updated to later gens.

I'm not opposed to this, but I understand arguments in favor of ow poison.

On an unrelated note. Got to Rusturf (that's what it's called, right?) cave. Now just time to wait for the patch. Currently using Shroomish, Murkrow, and Tentacool. All are level 17. Has been fun.

If you haven't, may I suggest you change the secondary effect of misty terrain? Mostly when you consider Misty Surge is on Altaria, the damage reduction for dragons is only harm.

If you're interested, which I doubt, I made a doc a while ago with move changes and new moves. It's not anything too special, especially when most of the move changes are small. Most interesting thing about it is a physical Quiver Dance called Xibal Dance, short for xibalba. If you are interested somehow, and want to use something, feel free to. Not like the doc is doing anything besides sitting there awkwardly. I also don't care for credit.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 27, 2023
I'm taking it slowly to catch all the bugs. Here's another batch of 'em.

- Quick attack description typo: "incredible hihg speed." You can just omit "high" imo. "Very fast attack with incredible speed" should be enough.

- One-time TMs are sellable. Please make it so that you can't sell non-renewable TMs.

- Pokemon's Speed boost! or Pokemon's unnerve! doesn't sound right. It feels like it's cut off. Same with Pokemon's Intimidate! IIRC it should be Pokemon's Intimidate cuts Pokemon's attack!

- Quick claw works inconsistently. It will activate but not let my Pokemon move first. Seems like you already fixed this on latest patch?

- Screen blinks to a brighter hue when entering buildings.

- I can't use repels. It says I'm still under the effect of one but I still get wild encounters. My lead pokemon is at least 7 levels higher than the encounters. Haven't tested on latest patch yet.

- Bug with sending out Pokemon. It said "Bug Maniac sent out Ekans!" Ekans is my Pokemon and I'm not Bug Maniac. Not sure if related but Ekans has unnerve as its ability.

- A tile beside name rater's house is inaccessible.
Spoiler:

- May's Grovyle keeps using False swipe even on my 1hp pokemon and will only use Razor Leaf if it's super effective against it.
On this location:
Spoiler:

- Flash is still listed as a status move.

- Too much fun on Pichu's pokedex entry:
Spoiler:

- This guy talks about a non-existent floor.
Spoiler:

- I don't know what happened here.
Spoiler:

- This girl is too quiet.
Spoiler:

- And lastly, have you implemented a day/night cycle? Because this is what my screen looks like:
Spoiler:

- Does Tail Whip still lower Def? It does damage but it doesn't say whether or not it lowered Def.

//END

- Would it be possible for the Pokedex to show more info on Pokemon you haven't yet caught?
At least have it show typings.

- Can you reduce the time of field move animations?

- Can you make Ditto catchable earlier?

Last edited:

luuma

Years
I'm taking it slowly to catch all the bugs
all very helpful, some of these typos are intended jokes and references to memes etc but the fieve you're running this game through will be an incredible help!

For future reference, any notes on the emerald battle engine (excuding my move balance changes) are generally beyond my means, since I'm using kds/dizzy egg's battle engine and am no expert in assembly. A few of these are text suggestions that would be better directed toward their thread at https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=374338
However, I have had some bugs in the past that are unique to my implementation, so any glaringly busted things should come here first before jumping to conclusions. KDS already knows about some bugs with parting shot and Slow Start

If you haven't, may I suggest you change the secondary effect of misty terrain? Mostly when you consider Misty Surge is on Altaria, the damage reduction for dragons is only harm.

If you're interested I made a doc a while ago with move changes and new moves...

The patch is already out! rusturf tunnel is fully accessible in the current version

I'm gonna level with you I assumed a flying type dragon would be unaffected by the dragon damage reduction. I was quite wrong! The thing is, Misty Surge seems perfect on Altaria from a thematic perspective. I'm going to change something, but I'm not sure what just yet.

Send me those move ideas man, It'll be an interesting read regardless!

Last edited:

Hanbae333

Elusive Wildebeest
Years
The patch is already out! rusturf tunnel is fully accessible in the current version

Oh. Is it? I must be using an old build then. Thanks!

I'm gonna level with you I assumed a flying type dragon would be unaffected by the dragon damage reduction. I was quite wrong! The thing is, Misty Surge seems perfect on Altaria from a thematic perspective. I'm going to change something, but I'm not sure what just yet.

That's pretty difficult if I do say so myself. But yeah, the damage reduction to dragons doesn't depend on whether the user is standing on the floor or not, sadly, as it would've acted as removing a weakness. An obvious answer would be to change it to a Fairy buff to be akin to the other terrains, but that only multiplies Altaria's weakness to Fairy. Talking of Fairy, I do think it's odd that Clefable is the only fairy. Usually it's all or nothing with Fairy type, and it feels like an impasse.

Send me those move ideas man, It'll be an interesting read regardless!

Sent you a pm c:. And. Thanks again for helping me out

Last edited:

rom_downloader

Send me beta invites.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
Dude this is probably the best Emerald Hack that I have ever played. There are some bugs but you do reply to most of them quickly. I just wish to have full decap. I mean 'DAD' should be 'Dad' only, but I think your implementation is good for inducing a little nostalagia.

Keep going man!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 3, 2020
Hey this hack is awesome i completed it a while ago and decided to download the latest version to start again but when i reached the rusturf tunnel i could not enter, i looked into the posts to see if anyone has had this problem too and saw that you already fixed that problem so i decided to download the files again and patch them in my current file but when i entered and went to rusturf tunnel i still could not enter, could someone help me, please? i really want to continue that game.

Hanbae333

Elusive Wildebeest
Years
Hey this hack is awesome i completed it a while ago and decided to download the latest version to start again but when i reached the rusturf tunnel i could not enter, i looked into the posts to see if anyone has had this problem too and saw that you already fixed that problem so i decided to download the files again and patch them in my current file but when i entered and went to rusturf tunnel i still could not enter, could someone help me, please? i really want to continue that game.

Had the same issue, you need to leave the map and let it refresh after applying the most recent patch. Luuma helped me with this.

Back