• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

America's new President?

Who would you vote for?

• Obama

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Romney

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • Well i made this topic because i was discussing last night with a friend about how i'm glad i dont vote because I wouldn't vote for either candidate. She agreed. I dont like either of their polices anyways I want to know what others think and who would u vote for. vote in the poll lol :)

I'd like to know if you vote in the poll why you picked your choice.....

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Yeah. They are both equally sucky choices IMHO. I think the government is starting to turn into a form a fascism.

If the political system of the US, with all its faults and weak points, is anything slightly ever close to fascism, then the rest of the world is living in a downright Nazi dictatorship. I'm going to say exactly the same about people who say that the US are becoming communist or anything of the like.

The US political system, however slow, complex to control and dependant on leaders as it may be, has a ridiculously huge and powerful amount of checks and balances. Including a Senate that does not depend on the same political cycles as the other Houses, bi-yearly Representative elections, the ability to recall elected officials including the President, a powerful Congress that does not necessarily have to be controlled by the Head of the Government (unlike in most democratic countries where both usually come hand in hand), a strong sense of division of powers between the Federal and the State Governments, and a powerful judiciary which does not always follow partisan rulings. In other words, if a system designed so it's virtually impossible for a person or a group to control the majority of it for longer than 2 years is "turning into a form of fascism", then the rest of the world, including a 99% of countries with much weaker and/or easy to control systems, must be controlled by the Nazis. Which isn't the case.

Oh, and two things: a) Voting may change things, not voting will never change anything. Unless you get enough people to follow you into a revolution, wiping out the system entirely, the only way to change anything at all is voting for the people who you think are the best or the lesser evil.
    b) The Republicans and the Democrats aren't the only parties in the ballot list, nor have been chosen by a divine force as the only possible poarties to ever rule the US. If the 40%+ of citizens that did not vote in the last elections voted for a third candidate, they'd have very good chances of being elected.

The goal of having democratic systems is allowing the citizens to decide who should rule them. If you don't like the two main parties advertised 24/7, or just the one in power in some sort of level (your town, state, congress, etc), you have the right to kick them out. If you pass and simply complain without doing anything to prevent them from getting elected again, well, guess what, they'll be elected again.

Years
  • If I may ask, what about their policies don't you like and what would you prefer?

I mean, yes, there are some things where both candidates/parties are in agreement, but there are still many differences. Are you saying that none of the things they disagree on matter to you and you'd be equally okay with either?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I plan to vote for Obama. Just before the health insurance bill was ruled on, my mother got a new job and noted that it's a ridiculous, unaffordable amount of her income for both of us to have insurance. The bill made it possible for me to have insurance, and Romney's stubborn "REPEAL EVERYTHING" attitude towards it makes it obvious that he doesn't care about people like me. Obama's not perfect but at least he makes an effort to better the lives of people that don't have the power to better their own lives.

KingCharizard

Years
  • from some of the replies it's clear that you dont see a problem with this country and if you actually think voting helps your naive, voting for bush what exactly did that help? if you voted for the loser your vote didn't matter anyways.. ugh..

I don't like obamacare
    I dont like Romney period I think he is a moron....

I'll elaborate on what exactly i dont like about obamacare. Its a scam to tax the american population. Now if you dont have health insurance you will have to pay a penalty, i'm not paying crap... Some on the obama campaign compared the idea to car insurance and if you dont have it you pay a penality but this is a bad comparison because if you dont own a car you dont need car insurance so no penalty. But with this new bill that passed I now need to pay to live life.. its idiocy

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I am largely apathetic about politics in general, so much so, that I'm not even a registered voter.

Unless there's something that's going to change my life considerably in one of those government people, the only way that I'm going to ever vote for someone is if they have online ballots.

Since I think that it's unlikely to happen, this will be left that way until the end of my days.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • If Obama get's elected a 2nd time then the US is DONE! He's gonna ruin it like he has since he's been in. I don't like either of them tho. I hate politics in general just because of what it does to this world. They are the greediest little bastards you will ever find. I live in Illinois and I'll tell you what. This state changed my perspective on politics and showed me how corrupt the govt really is. Illinois is the 3rd most corrupt state in the US just behind New York and California.

mew42003

Lulz
    Years
  • Neither.. I'll probably vote for Obama anyways though. Its doubtful that anyone president could pull us out of what we've gotten ourselves into.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think Obama's doing fine, and he's doing tons better than Bush, I was much more afraid for the country when he was in office, rather than now with Obama. I've got a feeling Obama's going nowhere, figuring he'll keep office. He's not doing perfect, but no one can, and no has in years. No matter what any president does, some are gonna say they dislike it. In general, Obama's helping out the poor in a lot of ways, and I think that's cool of him. He's not gonna please everyone, but I'd rather he keep office than let anyone else take over. :/ USA is going downhill regardless of who's in office, I don't think anyone can make it entirely better, but Obama is trying, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm undecided right now tbh. I'm leaning Romney but that may change in four months, it really depends on things develop and I learn more about each of their policies.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Obama's helping out the poor in a lot of ways
    Oh you have no idea how wrong you are.. I am concidered poor these days since i lost my job and cant get another one. I had two kids when i was working now i cant really support them.. my woman does... how do you think that makes me feel as a man. Obama has done nothing for people like me who are down on luck. He has legalized gay marriage or something to do with gays when ppl need jobs, he closed Guantanamo bay putting people outta work. He passed Obama care which will make me pay a penalty because i no longer have health insurance and i cannot afford it.. i cant even get welfare(Not that i wanted it but i had to do something for my kids...) because they reduced the funding for that... so again explain to me how you actually think obama has helped the poor...

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • hi i didnt vote for neither of them as im Australian but i would like to make a comment on these guys

for those who picked romney do u really have trust in him like remember what obama said when he had his campaign " time for change" or something like that but what did he do. and dont say he helped kill Bin Laden cos he died like Ages ago from old age. ( this may sound stupid but im muslim i know and so do most muslims)

Pls dont take offence but that is what i always say when ever i see people talk bout politicians. Ps i fell the same way in Australia we are not better, that is why when it comes to the next election im not votin. cos in my eyes all politicians are the same all care bout money and power and not citizens. thanx and sry again if i offended anyone but that was not my purpose

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Oh you have no idea how wrong you are.. I am concidered poor these days since i lost my job and cant get another one. I had two kids when i was working now i cant really support them.. my woman does... how do you think that makes me feel as a man. Obama has done nothing for people like me who are down on luck. He has legalized gay marriage or something to do with gays when ppl need jobs, he closed Guantanamo bay putting people outta work. He passed Obama care which will make me pay a penalty because i no longer have health insurance and i cannot afford it.. i cant even get welfare(Not that i wanted it but i had to do something for my kids...) because they reduced the funding for that... so again explain to me how you actually think obama has helped the poor...

He hasn't legalized gay marriage. I also can't find any federal changes to welfare during Obama's time, other than Obamacare which actually raises the threshold so you can receive free health insurance even if you're not quite below the poverty level. It's possible that your state made a change, but that's not Obama's fault. In addition, under Obamacare if you make less than 4x the poverty level, you get a federal subsidy so you have to pay 5-15% of your income, depending on how far under you are. In fact, the poorer you are, the smaller the percentage is, so healthcare will be affordable by the time you're required to get it. Can you back up your assertion that Obama changed welfare in a way that hurt the poor?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2016
    He has legalized gay marriage or something to do with gays when ppl need jobs, he closed Guantanamo bay putting people outta work.

a) He said he was personally okay with gays getting married, a personal statement that has no relevant effects whatsoever. It's like saying "I like tomatoes. I'd like more tomatoes to be grown in our fields". Everybody is free to ignore it if they so desire (although it's a very high-profile political statement, no gays are going to get married anywhere unless the individual States allow it- and not that gays getting married will have any particular effect on anything, either).

b) "People needing jobs" is okay (not that jobs have been created non-stop since June 2011 and the unemployment levels are back to the early 2009 figures), but that doesn't mean NOTHING ELSE can be done. Politics is much more than creating jobs, you know. I agree it's relevant and, in fact, one of the most important issues for the majority of the people, but it's not the ONLY thing to take care of. And, I'm sorry, but NO government ever will move a wand and create jobs out of thin air. it's more complicated than that, specially in a country where the Government is so relatively weak as in the US (yes, breaking news: most governments in the world have much more power over their own countries than the US' has).

c) I don't know where you get your news, but the fact that Obama didn't get to close Guantanamo (because the Congress didn't give him enough funds, mind you) is one of the main reasons why he's being criticized by progressive groups. Although if you think that having 100 high-security military jobs is a bigger priority than closing an illegal prison where tortures are used against people stripped of their rights and without any chance of having anything resembling a fair trial- then I think the priorities and values of the "Land of the Free" are incredibly twisted.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Perhaps I am wrong, it could have be state level that messed with welfare.

With this in mind, and with the explanation of Obamacare that I just gave to you, how can you make the argument that Obama doesn't care about people without money?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back