• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An age old question...

Cone or Gone?

• Cone

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Gone

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Ever since man first walked the earth one question has been on the lips of every human being: Scones, are they pronounced like cone or gone?
    Personally, I've always said scone like gone.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Scone like cone. Sounds wonderful with an over-the-top fake Scottish accent.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • I pronounce them like "Scoones", because I have this weird disorder that causes me to see one "o" as two. :shocked:

But no, I say scones like "Skohn-s". I guess it's easier just to say scones as in like "cones"...... :o

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Since "scone" is "cone" with an "S" in front, I'd say it in the same way as "cone."

Last edited:
    Years
  • I always say it as gone. I didn't even know so many people pronounced it as cone. I thought it was like how some people say cass-el, as opposed to car-sel when pronouncing castle, only people with weird accents pronounce it the former way.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've always said it so it rhymes with "gone" because that's the way my parents say it. Although everyone else around me always told me I was totally wrong and that I'm stupid for pronouncing it incorrectly proves that only snobs pronounce it so it rhymes with "cone". I think it's something that varies by region, but I do know for a fact that the original pronunciation was the one that rhymes with "gone".

'Zard

Vulpes bicaudata's alternate
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    It's pronounced "biscuit".

It's obviously /skəʊn/. Like "cone".

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I didn't know such an unremarkable pastry had such a debate over its pronunciation. I guess it must be a British thing. :/

Every time I've heard it pronounced, it rhymes with cone. XD

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    ^

I've always heard it as "/scown/" and I will pronounce it as "/scown/" as in "cone".

Back