• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Comics Animation & Comics Obscurea; Comics and Cartoons in Hiding

Years
    Anyone who looks through the videogames section knows about Gamer's Obscurea; a list of game's noone has heard about or bother's looking into because everything else outshines it... but in a very annoying and increased margin. We have a section for anime, but not one for general cartoons or comic's. Which sorry to the admin's, but I'm combining both into this one as we already have a section for Anime.

The criteria here, in the same essence, is to post about show's or comic's never touched on or seen before that have some value worth watching and reading in today's world. Such as Duck Man or an off-brand comic called Bunny-Vampire Hunter.... Which the latter was a thing; Found the comic in a comic book box at flea market once, but can no longer remember the name for the life of me. comic was about this furry-anthropod-rabbit. Wore dark clothes and a trench coat and hunted vampire's with a literal 'bat' side-kick; it was a crude comic, but it was published, had an author and interesting choice of art style; though it tears my mind apart trying to find the thing. The comic ran for about 2-3 issues and I can't find the name of the thing anymore. it's in one of the comic databases, though beyond that, it's just as vague now as it was when it was documented. If anyone with more time on their hands can find the issue,I'd be happy to have it as to give me peace of mind.

Moving on; starting this post with something not many folks ever bothered looking into...

Animation & Comics Obscurea; Comics and Cartoons in Hiding

Gargoyle's - Comic Book Series

Everyone remember Gargoyle's, if you don't, then it's a series Disney needs to research and reboot if they ever get back on their feet properly and listen to the internet. Gargoyle's was a Gothic, animated Fantasy Epic produced by Disney! Disney of all companies to go from funding the light-hearted comedy and family friendly cartoons to Grim and Gothic with Fantasy combined with Science Fiction in this strange combination. The story to it is interesting; as it center's around a small clan of Gargoyle's, spared from their doom of being smashed to bit's though cursed to remain in their Daily Stone Sleep until their castle rise's above the clouds. A sh*t ton of year's later, a billionaire, bored to death comeas across this story after bidding on a grimoire in an auction and purchases the castle, statues and move's everything brick by brick to be built into one of his sky scraper's. Thus, the rest is history, the Gargoyle's awaken from their 1,000 year cursed sleep to find they are no longer in the land of steel and stone, but the land of technology, lights, television and guns. The world of magic is far extinct and they're in a world they have to adapt too with some older thing's following in their wake. The billionaire using them for coporate sabotage, which they don't understand until they do, leaving their home to find a new place to roost in case he get's any funny ideas about killing them in the daylight. Immortals coming along to hunt mythical beings because of an ancient prophecy and curse as he and his prey are pawn's in an uglier game of chess and manipulation- It's just a beautiful series, under the control of the mouse who doesn't know what he's doing or how he'll survive with his copmpany.

The cartoon ran for a good 3 seasons; 4 if you want to get technical though by season 4, the show dropped it's serialization and went the route of variety show and comedy with it's already gothic theme and it was terrible. After season 4 bombed; they had comic produced to finish up the story in the 'Clan Building' saga. Which was a short lived run, but it's done well; after this though, the series is kinda dead with die-hard fans more left in a state of limbo. The creator WANTS to do a continuation, not a reboot, of the series itself. If you got time and don't mind a little piracy as the physical copy of the Clan building series is over $100, I recommend you check it out.

Last edited:
    Years

I know there have been month's since I added anything to the list and I apologize if this seems like Necroposting; I can do video games easier than I can do comic's and animation; and this particular comic takes the entire cake and sadly, this cake is sold out.

Well...f***...

Getting to brass tacks; Camp Weedonwantcha is a comic about a summer camp; plotted somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of kids who we're.... SORT OF abandoned there.... And the camp is inhabited by hostile cat's... Further more, when I said they are 'sort of' abandoned, someone or something keep's sending them weekly supplies now and then. Sometimes it's food. Sometimes it's outdated books and magazines and sometimes it's more feral and hostile cats for some reason.... Oh, and there are no real adults there supervising them. The kids more or less supervise themselves... Sort of. The kids who grew up there either physically left the camp or stayed behind because this world they we're dumped into and grew up in was the only world they've known.

Camp activities include, archery for hunting, fishing for dinner, exploring the camp, exploring your romantic side only to get kicked in sensitive areas before you even ask the member of the opposite or same sex, exploring the camp for places that are not hostile, swimming incase you need to swim for your life, figuring out how to grow crops around a bunch of unruly kids as supply drops become too far and in between to rely on for substance, sleeping when you have a chance, finding scrap materials to build a hut, learn about building hut in-case one of the camp cottage's the camper's stay in self destruct and you need to fix them or bunk with other kids. Selling poorly drawn pictures of naked individuals of the opposite sex for beads (they're basically stick figures and you can't tell what's what barely.), running the camp store with stuff you've stolen from the Air drop, complain to kids, play hide and seek with kids, playing extreme tag with kids, keeping wild and dangerous animals away from the camp with a shotgun to protect the other kids, knowing you'll never see the end to Game of Thrones and hating it there, learning first aid and making the first aid last until your healed fully, finding a spot to be your permanent facility as there is no outhouse, hunt bugs, torture bugs, mapping the camp, figuring out where you are, figuring out why your there... Figuring out how to get home.... Figuring out if you want to go home....... Figuring out if you are wanted to come home at all..........

That last one is kinda the saddest as the kids are dropped at the camp, one way or another, for being.... Well, kids with odd intentions. One of them burnt down his own house by trying to be like his father, whom he don't know who is as he came into life without a father figure to support him. Another kid was sent to the camp because her family we're 'moonshine' runner's. Not knowing any better, she accidentally screwed up the whole deal and blew-up one of the still's so they dropped her off at the camp; the kid doesn't even have a name, just a number... Other kids are... Well, the rest is for the reader to figure out, some are plain sad while other's don't make a whole lot of sense other than the parent being the villain of the reason.

Beyond the comic; it's an interesting read to see the kids go through daily life and make-up the odds and ends that round out their day's; trying to forget the past and work on what future they do have. Whether it's to escape the place or stay behind and look after the next generation.

It's also worth noting, after you've read it and decide if you love it or hate it; that there was an attempt to put the comic out as a cartoon and the creator's approached Nickelodeon with a pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBLwkxs0KWk

Nickeldeon turned them down harshly and since then, they've never bothered drawing another comic as it ends or rather, it's last page ends on a somber note and cliff hanger... Well, not much of one. The whole camp is basically a cliff hanger on it's mysteries. But there are a sh*t ton of people who want to see this comic get a new page and after nearly 3 years of inactivity, folks have given up on it.

... Or so it kinda seems? The rough bit and I mean really rough bit of it all is the creator's, both writer and artist state they intend to return to it and I think they're tired of people asking them to death.

The artist is currently one of the main directors to Animainiac's being published on Hulu and the other, the writer I think is...writing somewhere, either their own work or finsihing up the comic's story line to be done with it or finish up a script as it feels more like the creator's are moving to create the comic into an animated TV series one way or another.... Though I would not bother with Nickelodeon again as if it's not Spongebob or Spongebob related, it's not worth their time.

Edit; I re-read the beginning chapters, made amending edit's and forgot to link to the comic.

https://campcomic.com

Have fun!

Last edited:
    Years
    I know there have been month's since I added anything to the list and I apologize if this seems like Necroposting; I can do video games easier than I can do comic's and animation; and this particular comic takes the entire cake and sadly, this cake is sold out.

There are absolutely no problems with bumping a thread when the need arises, especially with special interest threads that should be kept in one place like this one, or mega-threads etc, so no worries :)

Years

MEGAS XLR
    (Mecha. Earth. Guard. Attack. System. (Xtra. Large. Robot))
    Art by themico, 2005: Check him out on Deviantart

Anyone who didn't care about cartoons growing up; I want to introduce you to one that did what Panty and Stocking did; make fun of an entire genre of animation! I am talking about the man child with impressive mechanical engineering skills and a lust for pay-per-view wrestling on TV. A robot with more ridiculous weapons of improbability and impossibility that it would make every Gundam series become not only worthless, but lose it's collective lunch with each pilot. It would make the Eva's in Ad Evangelion say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE and walk away from this one before the idea of it's A.T. field becomes a complete joke and a world where the most tasty foods are not only bad for you; they're encouraged while you can still live for a short while.

I am talking about a show that take's a GIANT ROBOT AND PUT'S A CAR ON IN PLACE OF IT'S HEAD! I AM TALKING ABOUT MEGAS XLR!!! THE SHOW OF GIANT THINGS SMASHING OTHER GIANT THINGS AND HILARIOUS BUTTONS WORTH MEME'S!

AND IT.... Is a personal favorite show of mine as it combine's 2 of my favorite things, giant robot's and violence involved with those giant robot's or at least what I call SUBSTANCE!!!....

To give a brief run down of the show's story. In the future where giant robot tech is possible, human's are fighting a war with the Glorft which look like the offspring of Cthullu but in space. We're losing this war and the humans managed to steala a prototype mech from the Glorft and using some human ingenuity, improved it to include a cavalcade of weapons and feature's, including the ability to bend and travel through time... Which leads me to one of the world's most argued plot points that time travel is a road block that can cause multiple problems due to how logical paradox problems can happen and paradox problems keep coming back to bite the writer's in the 'shiny metal ass.' When you include time travel, you have 3 methods to my knowledge to make the story successful even afterwards. 1, plan everything out to excruciating detail but only leave very small nods to them like in Futurama and the 'Why of Fry.' 2, Take the page out of back to the future where stuff done is in the entirely Schrodinger's cat, possibility until you choose and make a possibility happen. 3, use it once to kick off how the problem started and never refer to it again until your story ends like in the epic of Samurai Jack..... Megas XLR take option 3; as the Glorft catch up with the human's escaping with the mech and attack them. The human scientist/pilot Kiva attempts to escape with the mech and go back in time to before the war with the Glorft starts and end them right then and there. Why they didn't do it when it was developed and installed immediately was due to both running away and inability to test it out safety while checking for precautions... During the transfer to the mech and spinning up the 'time-drive' something happens and Kiva not only fails to escape with the prototype; the prototype leave's the point in time to earth years ago without a stop button; creating a time tunnel which Kiva, 2 robotic combatants and the Glorft with their mother ship chase after.

The mech ends up in New Jersey.

In a scrapyard owned by a perverted yet good natured junk man named Goat​

Which leads up to our obese-video-game-gear-headed hero Harold "Coop" Cooplowski.... Or Coop for short and his completely useless and sleazeball side-kick Jamie. He find's Megas in the $2 junk pile, missing it's head and wrecked from age. He buy's Megas and start's working on it, from the blue paint job to the flaming eye balls and deciding on what car to use for it's head as a new control deck... While routing the rest of Mega's system's to video game controller's, various buttons and 'splicing' everything together until became fully operational... To an extent. When Megas activates, it alert's Kiva to it who attempts to reclaim it but fails as the mech she attempts to use to retrieve it get's beaten into the ground and second; since Coop had to fix the mech, it doesn't use the same interface or control's she originally designed it for making her incapable of piloting it.... And removing the critical piece of tech to get her back to the desired timeline she needed, the Time Drive, which Coop smashed... Why? I have no bloody idea; for all I know, he tried plugging it up to a clock on the dashboard, thinking it kept up with the time; which it didn't and he probably smashed it up then... They show the seen of him smashing it, just not as too why as he even replaces one of the torpedoes with a personal refrigerator.

When the Glorft arrive, they get their squid ends handed to them harshly and thus start's the series of continuous mech pilot training, ripping off and poking fun at Giant Mech Anime's and trashing MTV as often as possible... and I mean as OFTEN as possible. The creator's use to work for MTV who in turn screwed them over. When they had a chance to make their own show while not under MTV's roof, they took advantage of it to torch it as often as possible... and I don't blame them.

Each episode poke's at a theme from Sailor Moon with Mechs to the Power Ranger's to Voltron and even Captain Harlock. Each with Megas vs. Mech's, robots and everything else from space and destroying all of New Jersey repeatedly... And while Coop's modifications aren't up to Kiva's standards, they are incredibly impressive from the pheonix weapons to dimension hopping to whatever this button does!

And I do apologize for the lack of practical screenshots of the show, as they need to be watched and witnessed than caught on frame... Case and point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjab76TJ3c

The show is in it's own Obscurity and there are diehard fans wanting to revive this thing. Though when Cartoon Network canned the show, they wrote it off in their taxes, tying the thing in some bureaucracy, keeping the creator from reviving the series on his own and buying it back to do with what he will.... Which kinda sucks as when he made Motor City for Disney; Disney shut it down and screwed over the creator's... And Motor City was another cartoon with impressive animation and a good story to it. I'll write a post to it if I ever get around to finding and watching the first season to it...

Until then, this is the only series I recommend illegally obtaining to watch from your favorite piracy site or torrent spot ya trust.
    Before I have any mod's or someone else frowning on this comment; There is no LEGAL way or method to re-watch the show. No DVD's, No toy's, no VIDEO GAMES except for the games built into the Cartoon Network website which have been stripped off and replaced with a Teen Titan Go plat-former... And every other game running Flash and Shockwave Player. Any DVD sold now are from fan's who recorded the show and burned them to DVD's to resell to old fans like how most folks resell old TV show's they no longer reproduce other mediums for due to the production company going out of business or the folks who own the licenses now don't care about it either. If it can be legally watched or purchased elsewhere, I would like to be pointed in that direction so long as I don't have to rely on a streaming service such as Netflix or Disney +; then I would like to be directed there. Otherwise, you're better off looking where you can.

Edit: Ash Ketchup state's the show is on Itunes; though I am unwilling to give Apple anything.

Last edited:
    Years

MEGAS XLR
    (Mecha. Earth. Guard. Attack. System. (Xtra. Large. Robot))
    Art by themico, 2005: Check him out on Deviantart

Anyone who didn't care about cartoons growing up; I want to introduce you to one that did what Panty and Stocking did; make fun of an entire genre of animation! I am talking about the man child with impressive mechanical engineering skills and a lust for pay-per-view wrestling on TV. A robot with more ridiculous weapons of improbability and impossibility that it would make every Gundam series become not only worthless, but lose it's collective lunch with each pilot. It would make the Eva's in Ad Evangelion say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE and walk away from this one before the idea of it's A.T. field becomes a complete joke and a world where the most tasty foods are not only bad for you; they're encouraged while you can still live for a short while.

I am talking about a show that take's a GIANT ROBOT AND PUT'S A CAR ON IN PLACE OF IT'S HEAD! I AM TALKING ABOUT MEGAS XLR!!! THE SHOW OF GIANT THINGS SMASHING OTHER GIANT THINGS AND HILARIOUS BUTTONS WORTH MEME'S!

AND IT.... Is a personal favorite show of mine as it combine's 2 of my favorite things, giant robot's and violence involved with those giant robot's or at least what I call SUBSTANCE!!!....

To give a brief run down of the show's story. In the future where giant robot tech is possible, human's are fighting a war with the Glorft which look like the offspring of Cthullu but in space. We're losing this war and the humans managed to steala a prototype mech from the Glorft and using some human ingenuity, improved it to include a cavalcade of weapons and feature's, including the ability to bend and travel through time... Which leads me to one of the world's most argued plot points that time travel is a road block that can cause multiple problems due to how logical paradox problems can happen and paradox problems keep coming back to bite the writer's in the 'shiny metal ass.' When you include time travel, you have 3 methods to my knowledge to make the story successful even afterwards. 1, plan everything out to excruciating detail but only leave very small nods to them like in Futurama and the 'Why of Fry.' 2, Take the page out of back to the future where stuff done is in the entirely Schrodinger's cat, possibility until you choose and make a possibility happen. 3, use it once to kick off how the problem started and never refer to it again until your story ends like in the epic of Samurai Jack..... Megas XLR take option 3; as the Glorft catch up with the human's escaping with the mech and attack them. The human scientist/pilot Kiva attempts to escape with the mech and go back in time to before the war with the Glorft starts and end them right then and there. Why they didn't do it when it was developed and installed immediately was due to both running away and inability to test it out safety while checking for precautions... During the transfer to the mech and spinning up the 'time-drive' something happens and Kiva not only fails to escape with the prototype; the prototype leave's the point in time to earth years ago without a stop button; creating a time tunnel which Kiva, 2 robotic combatants and the Glorft with their mother ship chase after.

The mech ends up in New Jersey.

In a scrapyard owned by a perverted yet good natured junk man named Goat​

Which leads up to our obese-video-game-gear-headed hero Harold "Coop" Cooplowski.... Or Coop for short and his completely useless and sleazeball side-kick Jamie. He find's Megas in the $2 junk pile, missing it's head and wrecked from age. He buy's Megas and start's working on it, from the blue paint job to the flaming eye balls and deciding on what car to use for it's head as a new control deck... While routing the rest of Mega's system's to video game controller's, various buttons and 'splicing' everything together until became fully operational... To an extent. When Megas activates, it alert's Kiva to it who attempts to reclaim it but fails as the mech she attempts to use to retrieve it get's beaten into the ground and second; since Coop had to fix the mech, it doesn't use the same interface or control's she originally designed it for making her incapable of piloting it.... And removing the critical piece of tech to get her back to the desired timeline she needed, the Time Drive, which Coop smashed... Why? I have no bloody idea; for all I know, he tried plugging it up to a clock on the dashboard, thinking it kept up with the time; which it didn't and he probably smashed it up then... They show the seen of him smashing it, just not as too why as he even replaces one of the torpedoes with a personal refrigerator.

When the Glorft arrive, they get their squid ends handed to them harshly and thus start's the series of continuous mech pilot training, ripping off and poking fun at Giant Mech Anime's and trashing MTV as often as possible... and I mean as OFTEN as possible. The creator's use to work for MTV who in turn screwed them over. When they had a chance to make their own show while not under MTV's roof, they took advantage of it to torch it as often as possible... and I don't blame them.

Each episode poke's at a theme from Sailor Moon with Mechs to the Power Ranger's to Voltron and even Captain Harlock. Each with Megas vs. Mech's, robots and everything else from space and destroying all of New Jersey repeatedly... And while Coop's modifications aren't up to Kiva's standards, they are incredibly impressive from the pheonix weapons to dimension hopping to whatever this button does!

And I do apologize for the lack of practical screenshots of the show, as they need to be watched and witnessed than caught on frame... Case and point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjab76TJ3c

The show is in it's own Obscurity and there are diehard fans wanting to revive this thing. Though when Cartoon Network canned the show, they wrote it off in their taxes, tying the thing in some bureaucracy, keeping the creator from reviving the series on his own and buying it back to do with what he will.... Which kinda sucks as when he made Motor City for Disney; Disney shut it down and screwed over the creator's... And Motor City was another cartoon with impressive animation and a good story to it. I'll write a post to it if I ever get around to finding and watching the first season to it...

Until then, this is the only series I recommend illegally obtaining to watch from your favorite piracy site or torrent spot ya trust.
    Before I have any mod's or someone else frowning on this comment; There is no LEGAL way or method to re-watch the show. No DVD's, No toy's, no VIDEO GAMES except for the games built into the Cartoon Network website which have been stripped off and replaced with a Teen Titan Go plat-former... And every other game running Flash and Shockwave Player. Any DVD sold now are from fan's who recorded the show and burned them to DVD's to resell to old fans like how most folks resell old TV show's they no longer reproduce other mediums for due to the production company going out of business or the folks who own the licenses now don't care about it either. If it can be legally watched or purchased elsewhere, I would like to be pointed in that direction so long as I don't have to rely on a streaming service such as Netflix or Disney +; then I would like to be directed there. Otherwise, you're better off looking where you can.

I absolutely love Megas XLR!!!

Btw, both seasons can, or certainly could anyway, be found on iTunes :)

Years
    I absolutely love Megas XLR!!!

Btw, both seasons can, or certainly could anyway, be found on iTunes :)

I REALLY
    don't want to give itunes 1 red cent of my cash.

Beside's, it's not really 'accessible' unless you sacrifice an arm or limb for an apple product with access to itunes.

Last edited:
    Years

Well at least now you know the option is there 😊

They actually have quite a few obscure cartoons for some reason!

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    I actually just finished my first watch of Gargoyles with it being on Disney Plus, I will definitely keep an eye out for a collected graphic novel of the comic series when I'm next in my local comic stores, is there a specific run I should look for or any to avoid?

One comic book series and character I follow and absolutely love which no one's ever heard of is Death's Head
    Spoiler:

Also I used to watch this cartoon when I was kid and not a single person I've spoken to about it also watched it, I have no idea if it's good or not haven't seen it in years but remember liking it as a kid; Watch my Chops!
    Spoiler:

These were two I just thought of off the top my head anyway, I could probably think of some more if that's the point of this thread, or have I misunderstood it somehow? lol

Years
    I actually just finished my first watch of Gargoyles with it being on Disney Plus, I will definitely keep an eye out for a collected graphic novel of the comic series when I'm next in my local comic stores, is there a specific run I should look for or any to avoid?

One comic book series and character I follow and absolutely love which no one's ever heard of is Death's Head
    Spoiler:

Also I used to watch this cartoon when I was kid and not a single person I've spoken to about it also watched it, I have no idea if it's good or not haven't seen it in years but remember liking it as a kid; Watch my Chops!
    Spoiler:

These were two I just thought of off the top my head anyway, I could probably think of some more if that's the point of this thread, or have I misunderstood it somehow? lol

• Good luck. When it came to the Gargoyle's comic books, they had 3 runs under the same publisher and are harder to find traditionally in a local comic shop than Mickey Mouse's signature on a contract stating that he's as narcissistic as he is in South Park. Slave Labor Graphic's (SLG) published and have probably drawn all the Gargoyle comic's with permission from the creator's and the mouse. Though if you want a specific run to focus on; that depends.

1995 Gargoyles: Seems to take place between Seasons 1-3, extra stories about our favorite mythical creature's in New York with the villains getting their various upgrades.

2006 Gargoyles: You want a run that pick's up right after Season 3 properly.... As Season 4 was more variety hour and I have never bothered getting it; then you want the 2006 run, 'Clan-Building' as it pulls together another adventure involving Brooklyn traveling through time and becoming something more. (There are so many time travel bits in Gargoyles that it's almost hazardous... If we got a continuation of the series today; I wonder how the writers and creators would navigate this mess.)... Oh and the KKK refernce, I thought was hilarious in a comic with a property by Disney.

2007-2009 Gargoyles - Bad Guys: (Note: WHO WRITE THIS SHI-) This run cover's the villians from the show, focusing mostly on the pack hunting does someone running another plot. It's an interesting read when you have the time and can find it.

• I'll add Death's Head to my list of comic's to watch out for and read.

•I've seen a LOT of cartoons as animation to me is a better form of entertainment than most live-action TV shows. I mean, I loved Monk, Psych, Leverage, Grimm, The 10th Kingdom, Breaking Bad; so on and so forth; but I liked animation more, even growing up into my more adult years from classic anime like Cowboy Beebop to other things from the Simpsons to Rick and Morty.... and I have to say, I haven't seen 'Watch My Chops' growing up as this show was mostly published in the European area while I live out in U.S.A.; Only shows from out there I got to watch here mostly came on Cartoon Network's Miguzi; or however it's spelled and the big show from that I remember too fondly was Code Lyoko... Which I find a bit more fascinating if not odd that the creators to Code Lyoko have every episode of the show on their youtube channel free for watching without needing to purchase anything.

I have also located full episodes of Watch my Chops on Youtube; the episode I say was actually pretty funny. Not my taste much for it, but I will say it is a cartoon I haven't seen before.

and yes, that is roughly the point of this thread. We're writing in about comics and cartoon's noone's heard of before. I would think to do one on Movie's and Book's; however with Movie's, there is enough of a crowd that could be the next Siskel and Ebert to argue with the everyone at Cinemassacre, The Nostalgia Critic and the other folks who hold different opinions how they liked and hated different things... And far as Books go: books are roughly in the same worries with Movie's, except with sharper teeth and a database going as far back as the birth of the internet... Unless they find another 'lost library of Alexandria' with every piece of the written works since man first learned to drawn on animal skins with berries and mud to back things up even worse or stranger; let's just say to me, it's a nightmare nerd war to end all nerd wars, Nerd World War.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    Thanks for the info on the Gargoyles comics!
    Honestly I don't even remember if it's good or not. It's just that I used to watch it as a kid and I don't think I've ever met/spoken to someone else who also did lol, more just the novelty of that, made me think it would fit into this thread.

Did you ever watch Super Duper Sumos or Evolution the Animated Series? Again I don't remember how good they are just shows I remember watching that are mostly forgotten haha.

Years
    Thanks for the info on the Gargoyles comics!
    Honestly I don't even remember if it's good or not. It's just that I used to watch it as a kid and I don't think I've ever met/spoken to someone else who also did lol, more just the novelty of that, made me think it would fit into this thread.

Did you ever watch Super Duper Sumos or Evolution the Animated Series? Again I don't remember how good they are just shows I remember watching that are mostly forgotten haha.

I remember Super Duper Sumo's Vaguely, though I remember not bothering to watch it. They're 3 barely clothed men doing Sumo moves, mostly involving asses, I saw the show advertised as a kid, but never bothered to watch it or even bother looking into it as it just looked like someone from a marketing team somewhere was slapping things together or someone just given a project just to pad out a paycheck; It only lasted 1 season.

I loved watching Mucha Lucha more than it actually. A bit more insane; but it felt like it had some passion.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    Yeah it definitely looks like the kind of show that made it through some questionably drug-fuelled board room meetings.

I don't remember watching Mucha Lucha but it does at least look a little familiar.

Years
    Yeah it definitely looks like the kind of show that made it through some questionably drug-fuelled board room meetings.

I don't remember watching Mucha Lucha but it does at least look a little familiar.

Mucha Lucha was, somewhat' created after another Drug Fueled board room meeting, though done in Mexico... And sadly, it too is a personal favorite.

!MUCHA LUCHA!
    (A Lot Struggle/Wrestle)​

This is a show I remember somewhat fondly and looking back I'm kinda glad I caught what I could. Mucha Lucha was about wrestling and this entire culture surrounding it as if it was a fever dream south of the border where it wanted to become it's own world... So it got what it asked for. The show revolved around 3 kid's, Rikochet, Buena Girl and The Flea tackling their day to day lives in a school that the WWE probably already appropriated and use to train newer star's... And in the school, they learn how to wrestle in their 'special' style. Where a signature move not only changes their bodies to shapeshift into things, it can really distort the view of the world depending on the wrestler who uses it.... Which kinda leads me into what their world is like. You have humans or the unmasked and the masked wrestlers who cherish their mask's and honor they carry over their own lives... So much so that I thought the Japanese go overboard on honor, this is something else! When there is a problem, they attempt to solve it by wrestling their problems down.... And it gets weird.

First episode, Rikochet has to take on a wrestler and the second episode where he has to gain weight in order to compete in a 3-on-1 match up against wrestler's tier above his weight class.... He succeeds, though he gains so much weight and grows in term's of height, that he is in another weight class above his opponent's.... And it sounds like a disturbing episode, though they don't really take it as far and disturbing as one thinks though it is funny, especially when it comes to the sandwich and Buena girl mentions all the ingredients in it; She says butter 3 times; How much butter is that?! Another episode, Rikochet learns to come up with his own Signature move which is a pinball... He folds his body into a ball and bashes around at his opponent...

They carry on like this and as the seasons drag on, the signature moves are swapped out for different fights between different wrestlers and after season 2, it seemed like they we're going to be canceled, so they called season 3 'Gigante' where the whole world being warped thing comes in and the kids start fighting things 3 times their size.

Though I remember it fondly and if they did a reboot of the series; they may find a better audience, especially with how folks act today. Why it got lasted 3 seasons and not longer: I think was due to a lack of toy's, some general interest and fell out of favor as it had to compete ion the schedule with Static Shock, Xiaolin Showdown, What's New Scooby Doo?, etc.

There was a propose revival to Mucha Lucha where it would take the 3 protagonists from this old show and put them up as Teenagers in the same school; though with the type of comedy the original ran, it seems like a teen-based show on those 3 is begging for an adult cartoon version.

Years

Swat Katz: The Radical Squadron

Hello World, I want to talk and post about another cartoon with the style of a 90's comic book and a theme of adrenaline and a snow ball's chance in... Let's say a volcano.

Theme Music to listen to while you read, relating to the show.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0IQBWWabuU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcTC1MvEvo0

Before I go over the history, I want to talk about the show, it's story and their world. In Swat Katz, the city of Megakat is under constant threat and attack by a bit of everything, monster's, military coup's etc. and everyone and everything here is a Cat or Anthropod... Or in the broad term, a Furry, though they are just basically Cat's. Thus Megakat's Paramilitary, The Enforcers, was formed to fight these things off, with guns, jets, tanks, you name it, they have it somewhere in their bases surrounding the city. During an apprehension of DarK Kat, a pilot and his co-pilot/gunner/support, T-Bone and Razor, in their Jet we're about to apprehend the villain, had him in their cross hairs, Missile's Locked all set to go to end him. They are then ordered to stand down by Commaner Feral as he get's in a Jet, trying to keep up and bring down the guy himself. The few get in an argument over comm's on whose tag it was, followed by a crash into the newly built Enforcer base. The pair quit the Enforcer's as their Commander and Chief either wanted all the glory, put personal feelings before the objective, had a vendetta against Dark Kat, take your pick; and caused their criminal to get away.

Thus, Feral blames both of them for losing Dark Kat and put's the hefty bill of repaying all the damage they've done to the Enforcer's building on the pair by 'enforcing' them to work out the rest of their years in the Junk Yard. I don't know about you folks, but that's Grade 'A' cat **** as Feral was looking to blame someone or something else when things didn't go his way and things went wrong... The Pilot's then discover that the Enforcers lose a metric sh*t ton of Jet's on a daily basis almost due to the constant attacks. The pair put their military training to work and begin tinkering, taking part's of the Jet's scrapped to them and salvage them together into a working, badass, black and Red accented Jet they refer to as... The Turbokat..... Yeah, I am sick of the cat puns, they could call it the Sky Claws, or Night Hunter or the Dark Hawk, instead, they call it the Turbokat.... *sigh*

... Is that a gun?​

Aside from a goofy name, their new bird is decked out with a LOT of experimental stuff from laser's, to modifiable missiles, fill 360 Jet's infused on the wings to allow them to take off from anywhere, including tight spaces with little ability to turn or gain speed, multiple weapon's systems, the onboard HERO computer, the sleek paint job, give them the imagination and enough time, they may be able to get it to do everything on Auto-Pilot and control the thing from their busted couch in their hanger they dug out. Ontop of which, the character's between T-Bone and Razor have their own character depth, they have fear's, personal relationship's that aren't explored fully unless certain plots and episodes demand it from the entire Villain like's the Hero down trend down too the pair fighting over the pretty woman acting as their early alarm system since they can't go into town often. However, they never explore these bits that deep in some sense of the word as the whole show run's on variety. One week, they fight a Bacteria as tall as the Statue of Liberty and next week, they fight a Dinosaur a Zombie revived using his spell book he pinched from the local museum. Though a lot of this is made up on the opposite end with the art used in the show.

Where's the Xbox? MicroKat Software wanted a Jet with an Xbox built in.​

Which kinda leads me onto the art style, the whole show feels like a comic book from the washed out color pallet's, heavy use of ink and dark scene's, the amount of lighting; the entire thing may as well been a traditional comic from the 90's as all of it was stylized and I personally love it, from the atmosphere to the lighting, Almost any scene you capture feel's like you could turn it into a comic like I did with the image's above; albeit, my joke's are written a bit more poorly, it goes to show that this thing had potential to double up as a comic if the creator's wanted too... Which lead's me now to how the show not only fell to obscurity, but it's long, long , long climb back to the limelight.

Between 1993 and 1994, Cartoon's we're not only still seen as kid stuff(which was fine as this was still an age where cartoon's we're attempting to express more freedom), the bane of cartoon's we're ones that centered on VIOLENCE and ACTION... At the time Swat Katz was published. Bevis and Butthead along with the birth of ADULT Animation didn't help this either as the folks in control of animation at the time, such as Disney, Hana Barbara and so on still only saw Cartoons as something they could cater to only kids and we're afraid that the new market would screw over a lot of children to do things such as pulling weapons on each other and ending lives, an argument still used against video games today even; though with continually backed evidence from psychologist's to everything else that it does not.

Since Swat Katz was mostly an ACTION cartoon in it's Era, it was cancelled after 2 seasons in fear that if it was allowed to continue that it would continue to rot the current generation... Which is mostly bull as other factor's that contribute to this would be rotten parenting, 85% public schools no matter where you go to school at, poor environments, lack of education and parent's trying to get by when they can't provide a perfect/comfortable/affordable childhood yet they try, keyword being try as noone's kid hood is 100% perfect and noone is well adjusted. There's room for error, though that's just me in how I put it... A problem that still continues to happen today, so noone can really blame cartoons, comics or video games for any of this.

Since then, the brother's who created the show started their own studio and pitched shows while publishing some other stuff to stay afloat, 2 of them I remember being published in the state's being Loonatic's and Mega Babies.... DO NOT GOOGLE the last one as I think they we're desperate and just needed money when they worked and published THAT one. Since then, they then started a kick-starter to see if any fans with a soft spot for Swat Katz we're still around and like most cult followings, they were. They made their goal in a few days and used the money to start funding the revival for Swat Katz since Hana Barbara dropped it like a neglected newborn. From here though, thing's get rough for Swat Katz and it's revival.

This is gonna hurt.​

They had the funds to start the first episode or two in order to launch the season, and use the ad revenue + whoever agreed to help publish the show, to fund the rest of the seasons to come. Pretty basic, there are a sh*t ton of fans who not only do 3D printable models of the Turbo Kat, there is fan art, podcast's that focus on the show itself and 30-minute to hour long music loops of their theme song along with other fans doing remixes and dance tracks based on the guitar riff's; should have been easy enough to get a publisher to help them launch this thing... And that was the problem.

Around the time they got their money together and pitch ready; a movie came out titled Cats(2019 Film). The movie was, to my knowledge, based on the broadway show of the same name and when the movie bombed, so did their chances to revive Swat Katz. Every marketing executive either didn't want to touch this show due to how poorly received Cats was or gave the creator's a 'pitiful' deal for the show and they didn't want it. They went around to as many big names they could get in but kept coming up in dead ends... So is the show's revival long gone?

..... Not Really? As of this post, Today, Tremblay Brothers Studios announced they found a publisher with Toonz, an international network and the show is reported to be targeting 5-11 Year Old Kids.... Though knowing how folks run themselves today, there's bound to be something for the rest of us.

Years
    Sonic SatAM
    Season 3 // Comic​

Forgive the lack of image's as I'm going to be straight with this lacking my jokes and crude attempts at comedy as of this writing, I am not feeling as jolly of odd as I'd hope I would be.

To get started, for folks wondering what the title is; I am referring to Sonic the Hedgehog. The blue ball animal of speed and energy that could power an entire city by running around if he chose too along with his partner Tails and knuckle headed friend Knuckle's the Echinda. I don't need to explain them any further as he is another character that has survived for years upon years and will die out the day Scooby Doo does when it's out of homes to go too.

So with the blue, speedy hedgehog, out of the 90's and what not, he's had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of merchandise based on him. Video Games, shoes, lunchboxes, a cereal at one point, Chef Boyardee Soup, comic books upon comic books and cartoons. Which is what is sparking this post today. We're talking about a cartoon that somewhat published alongside the Sonic the Hedgehog comics from Archie Comic's; Well, the Freedom Fighter's version.

At the time, there we're 2 cartoons for Sonic the Hedgehog; the silly one and the fantasy/sci-fi/Saturday Morning epic one. The former needs no explanation as it was targeted at younger kids to get them to laugh and be entertained like Teen Titans Go... Though comparing the 2, I think the Sonic the Hedgehog one would had a better impact compared to the titans. The other one was targeted at kids after the 'younger' age group with subtle references to save planet Earth while also doubling down as a sci-fi and fantasy epic.... in a weird sense. to Separate the 2 shows on the schedule, the first was just Sonic the Hedgehog for the silly one and Sonic SatAM for the other; as a date code mostly referred to as Sonic Saturday Morning or Sonic Satalite... Though I don't really know who calls it that on the latter.

If you read the comic's written by Ken Pender's and some of the older works, you'll know most of the characters already; You got Princess Sally, an independent girl/woman/teen I can't place the age so don't ask and I won't refer to the wikia for that answer either. Rotor, their tech expert as Tails is still a young lad, about 5 or 10. Antoine the cowardly warrior, Bunny, the cyborg bunny and so on and so forth. In the comic's Robotnik/Eggman was always trying to conquer Mobius. In the Cartoon, he already has dominated Mobius; turning everything into machines under his control from the adults to the children and there are moments of loss and what not that don't make it much of a kid's show... But I digress; the rest of the Cartoon is mostly Sonic and Friends trying to reclaim everything from Robotnik/Eggman and free Mobius from his chubby, grease producing claws...

Which they do; though the show ran a good 2 seasons, they chase Eggman/Robotnik off of Mobius, permenantly, for good, Sayonara!!!... in a sense, he leaves Mobius via escape pod/Rocket to the Stars. Though the Freedom Fighters celebrate, Robotnik leave Snively behind who take's his place in an attempt to regain what the Freedom Fighters destroyed and he doesn't come into this alone. He brings help; which would have kick started EVERYTHING into a new series all over again. Sonic exploring his relationship with Sally while balancing newer duties to reclaim the Kingdom of Acorn, Crowning of Princess Sally to Queen if they STILL can't find her father or accept his death at long last. Tail's growing from child to our lovable mechanic and ace pilot, etc. while dealing with the new threat's on the horizon....

And they cancelled this; before the writer for the show died, he did share how he was intending to end the series and publishes his writing note's on the show itself if it got renewed for another season.

And some diehard fans wanted to bring that to life... Though animation is.... VERY painful to pull off, so the fans settled for a comic instead.

https://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/?p=14

This link leads to page one of it all and it's a good read if you got the time to sit down and grab a bite while your TV show is running you've seen a dozen times and need to back ground noise while reading.... Though you'll have to forgive early pages of the comic as the fan's have been slowly working on their skills and they've improved as the later chapters and page's are more polished, refined and look like something you'd pick up from the comic books store.

Back