• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Animation Discussion

Honus

exploding with sloppy murders
    Years
    The animations in general are probably one of the reasons why Black/White has won its place as my favorite generation. The battles are more interesting to participate in instead of being some tedious "keep hitting the 'A' button" sort of thing. The dynamic camera view is really nice, too.

One of my favorite animations is probably Jynx's. It's just plain fabulous.
    Animation Discussion

Years
    I believe the animation is great but I think it is because I do not have a DSi that it isn't as great as I have seen it.

Years
    The animations in general are probably one of the reasons why Black/White has won its place as my favorite generation. The battles are more interesting to participate in instead of being some tedious "keep hitting the 'A' button" sort of thing. The dynamic camera view is really nice, too.

One of my favorite animations is probably Jynx's. It's just plain fabulous.
    Animation Discussion

I agree. That's what I like the most about B&W so far.

Animation Discussion
    Animation Discussion

I really love these. Doredia is gorgeous. :3

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Aw, it is quite adorable. :3 I just love how it goes from left to right and does a little hop; the purple fire on its head sways with Hitomoshi's movement so that's a good addition as well. As for Doreida, its pose and movement has a graceful touch in its design which makes it an attracting yet beautiful animation. Seeing the animation makes it seem so sweet and innocent too, and I definitely plan on having one on my team as I've said before previously.

None of the Generation V Pokémon animations have disappointed me so far. I'm glad they are able to keep their movement throughout the battle as well, something I've wanted for a while now.

Years
    I can see why you think it's funny. =p

I HATE the pokémon though, Especially how it evolves, like .. what?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The only problem I have is that there are no hurt and attacking frames. Just those two alone would make it much more interesting.

It also ends up greatly increasing the workload of the graphics and animation team, which is why most of the animation is done through segmenting areas of the sprites (limbs, tails, etc) and transforming them (movement, rotation, scale etc) with some use of drawing new parts of the sprite.

At this point adding a generic attack/hurt animation (and maybe something like a dodge animation I don't know) is about as much as we'll see out of a Pokémon game that uses 2D graphics, as anything more becomes a tremendous task on the part of the graphics team to draw and animate for over 1000 sprites (front & back)

Years
    I've seen so many adorable sprite animations, but Chillanccino's, I think is the best:

Animation Discussion

I just love how it lifts its foot up, and its ears wiggle like that. x3
    Its animation actually made me like it a bit more. :3

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    It also ends up greatly increasing the workload of the graphics and animation team, which is why most of the animation is done through segmenting areas of the sprites (limbs, tails, etc) and transforming them (movement, rotation, scale etc) with some use of drawing new parts of the sprite.

At this point adding a generic attack/hurt animation (and maybe something like a dodge animation I don't know) is about as much as we'll see out of a Pokémon game that uses 2D graphics, as anything more becomes a tremendous task on the part of the graphics team to draw and animate for over 1000 sprites (front & back)
    I understand this, and I'd be completely okay with them using this technique to make the hurt/etc. animations
    If they feel like spriting an all new frame, that's fine too.

I definitely don't expect any more than this in the next few generations, at least until they start delving into 3D models.

Back