• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animation Studios

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Another very important part of anime, studio that does animation.

What are you favorite ones or ones that make you watch the specific anime?

My favorite studio is KyoAni (Kyoto Animation) because it created the peak of moeism but I strongly respect MADHOUSE and in my opinion that's the best studio there is.

And then there are SHAFT, Sunrise and Trigger that just make me watch anime made by them just for the pure craziness they make =D
    What about you?

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Sunrise. They made ♥♥♥♥ing Gintama. They're GODS. :D

My favorite studios have to be BONES (Soul Eater, FMAB), Madhouse (HxH 2012, Red-♥♥♥♥ing-line), ufotable (Fate Zero, Kara no Kyoukai) and KyoAni. I haven't really seen much of KyoAni's stuff apart from Clannad but their animation is gorgeous to look at (saw trailers for KnK ad Free!). Definitely top notch. All the others mentioned are also amazing when it comes to animation.

The one that I hate the most is TOEI. Whoever said their anime's more like a slide-show of different frames instead of actual animation wasn't lying. I hate them for what they're doing to One Piece. Totally butchering it. Butchering the anime adaptation of the highest selling manga of all time. You got money, toei. Someone told me that you're one of the richest animation studios around. I'm not asking for Kara no Kyoukai or FMAB level ♥♥♥♥. I just want decent animation. Even Sunrise's Gintama has scenes that are a million times better than the ♥♥♥♥ that's in OP. Good God.

Also, Trigger's pretty rad. They got a lot of talent. I love their creative cuts. :D

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    My favourites are KyoAni (good at its character designs, moe and its animation). Brain Base (Natsume Yuujinchou!), and Sunrise (Gintama and Gundam).

SHAFT on the other hand does so much wacky stuffs with bright and colourful colour tones, like the Monogatari series. Production I.G does great animations with briliant soundtrack as well, this includes Shingeki no Kyojin. J.C. Staff for Hachimitsu no Clover and Bakuman

derozio

Years
    They're basically done now, though. Gainax is merely a shadow of its former self now, I hear. Most of the big name gainax people came together to form studio trigger. Which is why I mentioned them instead of gainax. I love me some TTGL, NGE and FLCL too :p

derozio

Years
    I only hate TOEI for butchering One Piece, lappy. That's all. :p I'm aware they've made good stuff. But butchering the anime adaptation of my favorite manga of all time? Yeah, ain't making you go in my 'fave animation studios' book. As much as they suck, filler arcs help with pacing. The 1 chapter per episode pacing is unbearably bad. And the animation can be horrendous at times and artwork very, very off-model. I know things don't need to be on-model always, especially if it is a stylistic choice as in the infamous naruto vs pain fight, but the OP anime can get ridiculous in this regard.

Also I liked LWA and like KlK. And it is made up of those that worked on TTGL, FLCL etc. I like those too. So obviously I'm gonna like Trigger.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Sunrise for Code Geass and Gintama.

Bones for Fullmetal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Darker than Black, Blast of Tempest, and Noragami.

Shaft for Monogatari series and perhaps Madoka too.

I haven't completed many of Madhouse's works, mostly nitty-gritty art styles. I'm thinking of Claymore, Casshern Sins, Devil May Cry, and Death Note.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    One Piece anime was fantastic for ages and satisfactory for a large chunk after that. I haven't seen most of the New World but you shouldn't have a such a short memory with it.

derozio

Years
    It was great for a large part of the preskip OP. And I'm not saying the series as a whole turned to crap. It is still a goddamn 10 in my list ffs. But just go and watch FI, PH and even some sections of DR. They drag stuff (fujitora walk recently), many fights seem lackluster, attacks lack impact (grizzly magnum. ♥♥♥♥) and again, the pacing is craaaaaappy. I'd much rather they take a 2-3 year break (not possible considering how popular OP is in japan) or just give it some long filler arcs.

I just don't like what they're doing to OP, honestly. Though if they decide to make an OP kai or something with fixed pacing and hell even no animation improvements, it'll be the best anime ever for me. And I'll love TOEI again. But now? Nope. Then again, I wonder, TOEI has a crapload of money? Is it too much to ask of at least Gintama level fight scenes? If Sunrise can, TOEI definitely can. I'm obviously not asking for film z level stuff, just something that looks 'good'. As of the last few arcs, the only fights/scenes I remember looking good were Luffy kicking Hody, Luffy vs Caesar pt 2, Luffy doing Haoshoku to get out of Monet's grasp, parts of Sanji vs Vergo and the best, imo, was Smoker vs Vergo. And even that doesn't come anywhere near the sort of fights we got preskip.

If I disregard OP's problems, though, then TOEI stands in a much better light. It made Slam Dunk, ffs. My fave sports anime yet. But yeah, that's my current stand on TOEI.

Also, I think I like Shaft too. They're creative with their visual presentation. Which I like.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    >If Sunrise can, TOEI definitely can

Not really sure what you mean by that to be honest.

The recent fights in OP weren't great in the manga either. Pacing is yeah, shounen jump adaptation pacing,

derozio

Years
    What I meant is that the fight choreography is pretty damn awesome in Gintama. The dust effects, atmosphere, camera panning - ♥♥♥♥ looks great. Fights are directed amazingly. Gintoki vs Jiraia, Gintoki vs Oboro, Gintoki vs Jirocho, Kagura vs Abuto, Gintoki/Zura vs Amanto, Sougo vs Nobume - pick any one and tell me if they don't look great. And I doubt Sunrise has a much higher budgets for fights when compared to OP or anything. Even if they do, TOEI are MUCH better off than them. They can afford a lot more.

In case of OP, they look pretty uninspired these days. Just look at Blueno vs Luffy, Whitbeard vs Akainu or hell even Luffy vs Arlong preskip and recent...fights. Apart from Luffy vs Caesar pt 2 and to a degree Smoker vs Vergo, nothing comes close.

As for 'fights weren't great in the manga' - If you're making an anime, the way you direct the fights can make a ton of a difference. Even not-so-great brawls can look great if directed properly.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    One Piece fights tend to follow the Dragon Ball an hour of talking per 5 mins action. If they just fought the anime staff would have much more freedom with this. Gintama arcs tend to be concluded with the final battle over a just a chapter or two. A lot of the fight animation in the Gintama anime could actually be considered filler.

One Piece fights were always going to get less memorable once the DBZ powerlevel haki kicked in. Oda can take the blame for that, not Toei.

derozio

Years
    Again, it isn't the fights themselves but the way they're being directed - that's what I have a problem with.

Take the scene where Aokiji appears behind Doflamingo. It was a powerful scene in the manga too, no doubt, but the scene was amazingly directed and the key animation there was a million times more good looking than anything that preceded the scene in that specific episode. And hence, even though it was merely Aokiji standing behind dofla, aokiji speaking a few words and dofla stopping himself from attacking smoker, it was an amazing scene which gave me chills. Had it been directed by the guy who did the rest of the episode, I doubt I'd get the same feeling of 'awe' from it. This one was done by Naotoshi Shida, btw. Whenever he does any scene, they stand out - detailing skyrocket and things look much, much better.

See, I'm not even using fights as an example. A scene that involves merely a character making an appearance and talking a bit can be made to look great if done correctly. Toei has tons of money and there are thousands of talented guys available - if they wanted, they could do a much better job with the series' direction and animation in general. But they get a ton of money anyway. So half-assing is okay in their eyes.

Years
    Presentations... in many means =D
    I mean, who doesn't like episode made from one Power Point slide? xD

Also, dat Shaft head-tilt. *puts sunglasses on and bites lip*

Shaft is loads of fun to watch even if their frequent deviation from the main plot of an ongoing series can cause lots of fan rage.

KyoAni is oodles of fun and generally high quality. Their child studios do great work as well, such as Animation Do being the team behind the Clannad adaptations.

Aniplex is up there, but being that they're basically the animation wing of Sony, that's to be expected, and they do more bankrolling than actual animation based on their series list. The studios they bankroll are quite talented, though.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    So many Kyoto Animation fans! <3

Kyoto Animation is my all time favourite. They put a lot of effort and care into their animation and it sure pays off! Kanon and Clannad are both the prettiest and well animated animes I've seen ever and I doubt anything can top them.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Also, dat Shaft head-tilt. *puts sunglasses on and bites lip*
    Oh yea! :D
    Animation Studios

Once you see it, you cannot help but to keep doing it =D

Years
    Another KyoAni fan here! :D To be honest though, I've never paid attention to the studios until recently, but the one I can recognize without a doubt is GoHands because of their constant use of that blue-green gradient, which I think looks nice :3 Other than those, I can't put a studio name to the majority of the series that I've watched :c

Back