• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Lucky Dip [Sign-Up for round 2 now!]

Years
Just finished the first episode of Kokoro Connect and wow, they sure didn't waste any time with throwing the plot right at you. Really amusing. Definitely curious about how this will play out and eventually end.

The ending song is super cute. :heart:

Years
Spoiler:

Just a reminder that we're about half way through the second round now.
Hope you're all enjoying your shows.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Ecchi isn't exactly my cup of tea, but the characters in Saekano are enjoyable so far. Except for the MC, I find him very obnoxious.

Years
I'm not quite done with Black Lagoon yet, I've got like two episodes to go still. So far though, I've really been enjoying it. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a masterpiece like the last show I got, but the action is fun and the characters are interesting explorations of morality/amorality and circumstance and it's cool seeing the interplay between Rock and Revy. There's a particular few episodes that I really want to draw attention to though. Firstly, the saga with the nazis. During that, I really enjoyed the way that the original German soldiers were largely portrayed as just ordinary dudes in the military of a shitty government (obvious exceptions excluded) while the modern day neo nazi's were portrayed as cartoonishly evil because they choose to take on such a fucked up ideology. You don't see that much. The interplay between Rock and Levy and Dutch and Benny was also excellent. The following episode that saw Rock and Revy basically running errands was my favourite of the show thus far though, because it was extremely good character building that piggy-backed very well off the previous episodes.

Also the opening and ending themes are great.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
I finally finished Yona last week after returning from my trip and I absolutely loved it! I liked the vast majority of the charaters, they were written quite well.
Spoiler:

I also watched the OVAs and maaaan, the onion-cutting ninjas were at it again. Shame that another season most likely isn't happening :/
Overall, whoever put this in the pool, THANK YOU SO MUCH, I never would've picked it up otherwise.

Saekano, on the other hand, I'm having trouble getting through.
As much as I like Katou (and Utaha to an extent), the MC is very annoying and keeps pissing me off more and more the further I go. When he said the line "But I just want to be myself" with absolutely 0 self-awareness, I had to pause the episode, get up and walk around the room for a bit to calm down. I'll finish the anime since I have only 4 more episodes to go and unless he receives some good character development, he's going to my top 10 least favorite anime characters list, maybe within top 5 even.
Other than that, the show isn't terrible and has some quite enjoyable moments.

Years
Still struggling through that first episode for the same reasons I mentioned in the last post. It's hard for me to sit through comedy gags that are telegraphed from a mile away, even if they're cutesy and funny.

Saekano, on the other hand, I'm having trouble getting through.
As much as I like Katou (and Utaha to an extent), the MC is very annoying and keeps pissing me off more and more the further I go. When he said the line "But I just want to be myself" with absolutely 0 self-awareness, I had to pause the episode, get up and walk around the room for a bit to calm down. I'll finish the anime since I have only 4 more episodes to go and unless he receives some good character development, he's going to my top 10 least favorite anime characters list, maybe within top 5 even.
Other than that, the show isn't terrible and has some quite enjoyable moments.

Dude is deliberately written with 0 self-awareness in the early going. He's basically got the same social awareness as the most extreme otaku reading the novels.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Dude is deliberately written with 0 self-awareness in the early going. He's basically got the same social awareness as the most extreme otaku reading the novels.
I'm well aware of that, that's his main character trait after all. I just personally dislike him; from an objective standpoint, he's a well-written character.

I guess that's the charm of these lucky dips, sometimes you get something that suits your taste and sometimes you don't. This has been a fun experience overall, looking forward to the next round! :)

Back