• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Anime] Shipping Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    I wish what i tell will came true

Dawn will confess her love to ash even for drew and may.

...wow, I can totally see that happen with all of them off the series. Good luck with that, hun.

Not that I hate Pearlshipping and Contestshipping or anything - I really love the latter x3 I just feel that some shippers are so irrational sometimes

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2012
    Right, so you save the person, have both of you stand on top of a tower of Meguroko in glory, and fall down then look at each other in gratitude instead of a "ZOMFG Thank you!" Isn't a shipping hint?

When hasn't a rescue scene been used as a shippy hint?
    It's simply a mindset. "Oh, one character rescued another! It was so cute! It's a sign of love!"

How many people has Ash saved? He's rescued Misty, May, and Dawn, and (unless they plan to make it a thing and have Iris doing the rescuing for the region), he'll eventually rescue Iris, too. Is it a hint for every 'ship? Is he potentially in love with all of them because he saved them? Are they potentially in love because they were saved?

Chances are, the answer is no. They'd be in love with him for other reasons.

It's sweet...but rescuing someone is not a shipping hint in and of itself. It's just a cute moment. Not the same thing.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    Running Gag?

Yes, the bantering, not the bikes. ><

And damn, was the episode shippy. Iris saving Ash and then standing on top of a Pile of Meguroko.

Why was Iris on top of those Meguroko anyway? She had no reason to be there, just add a spoonful of Negaishipping into fangirls' (and boys) mouths. Though I do agree with Frostik, you'd look like an idiot if you don't help someone in danger (depending on close proximity to that person, of course *adjusts glasses*).

Iris getting offended that Ash said she's following him and than turned it around and saying he's following herXD Than this cute photo moment, of Iris holding Ash while being on top of a bunch of Pokemon, loved that part. Also, Iris sure seems to blush a lot around Ash hehe.

Blushing? Already? Wow, I don't know if this is good or bad. Just wait till Dento shows up, he'll be blushing over Ash too. And if that happens I would gladly ship CafeMocha. I kid you not.

Spoiler:

Frostik said:
    How many people has Ash saved? He's rescued Misty, May, and Dawn, and (unless they plan to make it a thing and have Iris doing the rescuing for the region), he'll eventually rescue Iris, too. Is it a hint for every 'ship? Is he potentially in love with all of them because he saved them? Are they potentially in love because they were saved?

I'd like to add, hasn't Ash also saved guys too? So do those count as shipping hints as well? Man ships aside, it's nothing to do with affection.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2012
    I'd like to add, hasn't Ash also saved guys too? So do those count as shipping hints as well? Man ships aside, it's nothing to do with affection.
    No, it includes the main ships, too. If it doesn't count for one, it can't count for the other. You see?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Done by case by case basis, all the times Ash has saved a guy, or a guy has saved Ash (hey, Shinji), it counts as hardcore proof of the ship. Proof.

Well, OK. But it is case by case basis. If it were any anime but Pokemon, there could be different/multiple intentions behind the act.

Just wait till Dento shows up, he'll be blushing over Ash too. And if that happens I would gladly ship CafeMocha. I kid you not.

Yay! Me, too.

Spoiler:

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Blushing? Already? Wow, I don't know if this is good or bad. Just wait till Dento shows up, he'll be blushing over Ash too. And if that happens I would gladly ship CafeMocha. I kid you not.

Spoiler:

Great, I'll quote you for that whenever Dento does blush around AshXD

Spoiler:

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    Frostik said:
    No, it includes the main ships, too.

lol, I didn't mean to say main, I meant to say man. XD

Spoiler:

PearlShipper4Life said:
    Great, I'll quote you for that whenever Dento does blush around AshXD

I---don't mind. :)

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
    Fffffff, you should've given the direct link!! I've just lost myself on TV tropes for the past 10 minutes without noticing...

Yes TV Tropes is a blackhole death trap. "Procrastination" doesn't even begin to cover it. I've spent hours on a small subsection. Yes, subsection. On the other hand, I think I've learned quite a lot about the human condition...

As far as this whole saving-debate goes, yes it's visually appealing and might even be fanservice in it's most innocent form, because it really doesn't imply anything. Unless, of course, it's followed by blushing and/or a suggestive pose (think Training Daze...). Then it shows that the writers of that particular episode were leaning a direction but it still doesn't say much about the couple in general. (And as a Rocketshipper, that's kind of hard to admit.)

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
    Years
    It's simply a mindset. "Oh, one character rescued another! It was so cute! It's a sign of love!"

Chances are, the answer is no. They'd be in love with him for other reasons.

It's sweet...but rescuing someone is not a shipping hint in and of itself. It's just a cute moment. Not the same thing.

Well, I tend to think that in the world of shipping, anything is fair game. (Blushes, interaction, eye contact, meetings, stalking, arguing...anything cute can and WILL be used as a hint)

With that being said, I believe that people use "rescuing scenes" as plausible reasons for a blooming love is because the very act requires one to show concern for the one being saved. When someone saves you, you're not going to forget about it. If not love, a certain respect will form from it.

Perhaps it's a high ranking "pseudo-hint" if nothing else. More than blushes, but less than a full out kiss :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2012
    lol, I didn't mean to say main, I meant to say man. XD
    *facepalm* How did I misread that?

Well, I tend to think that in the world of shipping, anything is fair game. (Blushes, interaction, eye contact, meetings, stalking, arguing...anything cute can and WILL be used as a hint)

With that being said, I believe that people use "rescuing scenes" as plausible reasons for a blooming love is because the very act requires one to show concern for the one being saved. When someone saves you, you're not going to forget about it. If not love, a certain respect will form from it.

Perhaps it's a high ranking "pseudo-hint" if nothing else. More than blushes, but less than a full out kiss :P
    If this were any other show, you might be right. But rescues aren't hints unless they're meant to be. Which means one in every hundred is meant to mean something, because characters can rescue someone, or fall over a cliff with someone, and not be destined for romance.

Meaning it probably only means something (as a catalyst) in Contestshipping (and even then, not often) and no others.

As actions, they aren't hints of love. They're just moments to coo over and don't count unless it's being seriously pushed. Which no Ash ship is.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Oh right. This reminds me of this iCarly special iSaved your life when the iCarly technician Freddy saves Carly from some accident and Carly starts to fall for Freddy, and Freddy has always had a crush on Carly

Spoiler:

The point it, Nickelodeon shows are weird. And that live saving situations do tend to cause attraction between people.

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
    Years
    If this were any other show, you might be right. But rescues aren't hints unless they're meant to be. Which means one in every hundred is meant to mean something, because characters can rescue someone, or fall over a cliff with someone, and not be destined for romance.

Meaning it probably only means something (as a catalyst) in Contestshipping (and even then, not often) and no others.

As actions, they aren't hints of love. They're just moments to coo over and don't count unless it's being seriously pushed. Which no Ash ship is.

Catalyst means that it still adds something to the ship. For instance, Paul saving Ash's Infernape from being crushed by the mecha counted as a "hint" (for which character is up to you XD) for me because usually Paul shows cold indifference to Ash. He's not the "I have to save everyone I meet because I'm a righteous hero" type, so him breaking character like that was kinda surprising.

Anyways, I guess agree that it doesn't have to stem in to full out LOVU LOVU; but it could definitely be used as a starting point or "enhancer" to any ship.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    You got your math wrong there buddy. Negatives cancel out only in Multiplication and Division >_>

apparently major math skills past elementary school dont apply to the pokemon world.

TBH though I like ash's new look. and iris... lets just say its not some mother letting this 10 year old girl with a shortskirt and tanktop go on a journy through the wilderness around the world. I fear what would happen without ash and brock.

brock is the only thing I'm going to really miss in the transition though. W'eve all just known him so long we dont want him to go, but on the other side hes been degraded to the point where he just cooks and does the stuff ash is too lazy to do. (although that recent episode with the ditto girl he was prety active), so in conclusion on brock I just hope its a temporary change like tracey was because Hes been there since like episode 3 or something =(

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Oh right. This reminds me of this iCarly special iSaved your life when the iCarly technician Freddy saves Carly from some accident and Carly starts to fall for Freddy, and Freddy has always had a crush on Carly

Spoiler:

The point it, Nickelodeon shows are weird. And that live saving situations do tend to cause attraction between people.

:O But I ship Freddy/the blonde girl!! Tsundere ships are the most interesting. Wow, that was stupid, so does Freddy not bother with Carly afterwards? I like to think that if you liked someone after a "rescue scene" you just see them in a different light, or finally "notice" them, not that you would only like them for saving you.

My sister went through a phase of watching this show through the summer holidays...I was around at the time in the living room and...yeah...
    >_>
    <_<

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Her names Sammy. And yes, I prefer shipping Freddy and Sammy too. But unless iCarly magically does a Pokemon spin-off, I prefer not to talk about them >__> You're 19 and you watch iCarly. My excuse is I'm not in college yet and my kid brother is 10.

apparently major math skills past elementary school dont apply to the pokemon world.

Negatives in Multiplication are 5th grade material. At least in the Texas curriculum, anyways.

-5*-5
    -1*5*-1*5 (Negative Identity)
    -1*-1*5*5 (Commutative Property)
    1*5*5 (Negative Identity)
    1*25 (5*5)
    25 (Multiplicative Identity)

I just proved why negatives cancel out. Fear meh mathz0rds.

Except now I don't remember why I proved this. I'm sure it had something to do with this thread >__>

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Her names Sammy. And yes, I prefer shipping Freddy and Sammy too. But unless iCarly magically does a Pokemon spin-off, I prefer not to talk about them >__> You're 19 and you watch iCarly. My excuse is I'm not in college yet and my kid brother is 10.

lol no, my explanation was the truth. My brother's 11 and my sister is the same age as you, they both watched it in the mornings through the summer holidays, so I watched it, too. At first I thought it seemed way too over-enthusiastic American style, but meh, it grew on me. I don't watch it now since I don't watch much TV.

Anyway...there are oldies who are over 20 in this thread who still watch the Pokemon anime :P A Pokemon anime forum is hardly the forum to try and take the upper ground on whether people are watching shows aimed at their age-group XP

Last edited:

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Be quiet Jorah >__> My fingers hurt from practicing my pull offs on the guitar and I swear I'll fly to Britain and steal your dinner.

Now that we've gotten off topic, we're gonna have to roll the dice on what's next, we've already established if a guy saves a girl, that's going to catalyze their ship. Any questions? No? Good.

Now, time for a ZOMFG moment, but I need some input. I feel like the Shipping Debates thread should be split. I don't participate in Crackshippings, but theres plenty of people like that, some people prefer to discuss the main shippings involving Ash, and other characters. Maybe a third shipping thread as a third shipping thread for Video Games, unless the main VG section decides to up it, which is reasonably doubtful. Anyone like, hate, has another way?

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Look ADK7, I really don't see Ash + Iris. It's a personality clash thing. At least for Misty, I guessed she may have actually "liked" Ash. But Iris has me other things on her mind.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    But Iris has me other things on her mind.

Like gym leading. *cough cough*

Had the shippings given their own forum, then yes I would agree with you, AK47.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back