• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Annoying dual booting Vista problem(s)

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
  • Well. I'm really into Vista's appearance lately, and downloading Vista Torrents ^o^
    I'm trying to install Vista Home Basic, but it's still Downloading, and since I have these disc(s), why not try it?

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Windows Vista x64 Bit Edition - All in one (don't work, my computer is x32 bit)

I have 2 hard drives. My primary(C:) is 40 GB and my new one(D:) is 150 GB.
    I checked with Microsoft(using the Vista Upgrade Advisor), and I do have the recommended things that Vista requires.

My computer:
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 G Hz, 2.79 G Hz
    512 MB of RAM
    Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

My Problem(s)
    1. Whenever I restart the computer and boot from CD, The installation, it pops up, but it is in 256 color mode, and 600x480 resolution. Then when it is installed(on my other hard drive[D:]) I'm given the option to boot into Vista or XP. The real problem: When I boot into Vista, none of the programs are there from the XP, and Everything is huge(like 640x860) I try to change the resolution, but the slider bar thing(in the display properties kind of window) can't move. It only stays on "lower resolution"

When I boot into XP, everything is normal. So I removed XP and am deciding to use a different ISO. This time, the full ISO, not the CD-ROM version.

I just wanted to know, what makes the problem? Thanks
    -cooley

Last edited:

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • sounds alot like you have a driver mising for your graphics card and in order for you programs to transfer to Vista you need to do an upgrade install, not a clean install.

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
    Years
  • Well if you are into vista's looks you can give Vista Transformation pack a shot. But if it must be vista then look through the discs that came with your computer and one of them is most likely to have the driver. Good luck.
    Mods an admins most commonly use a ~ for official stuff and I am an Admin elsewhere so...

~Have fun

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • If all else fails, you can always download the driver form your video card's manufacture. I would upgrade the ram if I were you. 512 Mb of ram and Vista suck together.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • If all else fails, you can always download the driver form your video card's manufacture. I would upgrade the ram if I were you. 512 Mb of ram and Vista suck together.
    Well I know that, I just wanted to give it a shot.

Vista Home Basic is about 76.7% Downloaded.

Also, Vista works fine with that amount of RAM. As soon as it loads, everything is fast! Surprisingly...

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try to update my drivers ;)

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
  • Errr
    Vista Basic is XP with compatibility issues and annoying features.
    If you want the eye candy, you need home premium.
    Also, your problem is probably running 64bit on a 32 bit PC. You need 32 bit, really. A 64bit processor can do 32bit OS, but not vice versa.

Years
  • Well. I'm really into Vista's appearance lately, and downloading Vista Torrents ^o^
    I'm trying to install Vista Home Basic, but it's still Downloading, and since I have these disc(s), why not try it?

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Windows Vista x64 Bit Edition - All in one (don't work, my computer is x32 bit)

I have 2 hard drives. My primary(C:) is 40 GB and my new one(D:) is 150 GB.
    I checked with Microsoft(using the Vista Upgrade Advisor), and I do have the recommended things that Vista requires.

My computer:
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 G Hz, 2.79 G Hz
    512 MB of RAM I stopped reading here, because I wouldn't even bother trying to run Vista with that much RAM, recommended is 2GB, minimum is 1GB, I don't know why Microsoft would've said that it has the minimum specs...
    Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

My Problem(s)
    1. Whenever I restart the computer and boot from CD, The installation, it pops up, but it is in 256 color mode, and 640x860 resolution. Then when it is installed(on my other hard drive[D:]) I'm given the option to boot into Vista or XP. The real problem: When I boot into Vista, none of the programs are there from the XP, and Everything is huge(like 640x860) I try to change the resolution, but the slider bar thing(in the display properties kind of window) can't move. It only stays on "lower resolution"

When I boot into XP, everything is normal. So I removed XP and am deciding to use a different ISO. This time, the full ISO, not the CD-ROM version.

I just wanted to know, what makes the problem? Thanks
    -cooley

read on laer in the thread and I seriously don't understand how it can be running at normal speed, possibly because it is only running in lowest res and colour, and that could be the reason why it won't go any further, I had trouble with Win2K on an older computer where it wouldn't change res or colour, but it had 2K on it before...

Very interesting, but I'd definetly say RAM...

Buoysel

Years
  • read on laer in the thread and I seriously don't understand how it can be running at normal speed, possibly because it is only running in lowest res and colour, and that could be the reason why it won't go any further, I had trouble with Win2K on an older computer where it wouldn't change res or colour, but it had 2K on it before...

Very interesting, but I'd definetly say RAM...

Actually the minimum ram for home basic is 512mb (https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/system-requirements.aspx).

I use to have a Dell Insprion B130, 1.6 GHz and 512mb ram. I put Windows VIsta RC1 on it before VIsta Came out. It ran Just fine, butI could not play DVDs, If I tried the image was all choppy. Just not enough of something to do it.

Bottom line Vista should be okay, but it wont be great running on the system requirements.

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
  • Vista Basic worked fine on my old comp, with 512MB RAM.
    AND DO ANY OF YOU REALIZE THAT HE'S TRYING TO RUN 64-BIT WINDOWS ON A 32-BIT PROCESSOR?!
    Or am I the only one here nerdy enough to get that kind of thing? It's amazing he could install it, much less boot in to it!

j_

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2008
    Vista Basic worked fine on my old comp, with 512MB RAM.
    AND DO ANY OF YOU REALIZE THAT HE'S TRYING TO RUN 64-BIT WINDOWS ON A 32-BIT PROCESSOR?!
    Or am I the only one here nerdy enough to get that kind of thing? It's amazing he could install it, much less boot in to it!

He said himself it didn't work in the first post....

"Windows Vista x64 Bit Edition - All in one (don't work, my computer is x32 bit)"

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
  • I think he's using the Home Premium version...
    I would say that your graphics card is probably incompatible, Cooley. You could also find a program called Junction, which creates NTFS SymLinks, to redirect the profile directory to your XP one.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • Well Thanks score_under!
    And thanks everyone. I think RAM doesn't determine the speed, it's the Ghz, right?

So that's maybe why Vista is fast on my computer? Anyways, I'll try the program you recommended, score_under.

Buoysel

Years
  • Well Thanks score_under!
    And thanks everyone. I think RAM doesn't determine the speed, it's the Ghz, right?

So that's maybe why Vista is fast on my computer? Anyways, I'll try the program you recommended, score_under.

Its a compilation of a lot of things... Ram, Processor, even the hard drive can determine the speed.

If your Ram is overloaded it will slow your computer down, and visa versa.

Years
  • Vista Basic worked fine on my old comp, with 512MB RAM.

Well Thanks score_under!

I am really confused now, what excactly are you trying to install, Home Basic or Premium?

And yes, the fact that your GHz isn't the best, neither is your RAM, I'd say give up or invest in some upgrades..

Also, have you considered that it might be a dodgy download????

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • I am really confused now, what excactly are you trying to install, Home Basic or Premium?

And yes, the fact that your GHz isn't the best, neither is your RAM, I'd say give up or invest in some upgrades..

Also, have you considered that it might be a dodgy download????
    I've tried both now, to be honest. And now I just gave up everything.

It wasn't a dodgy download because it was the OEM version of the disc.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    If you OS is pre-installed with XP, Vista won't work so good, and that's the reason of "Windows Vista Sucks".
    I had Vista, and I can boot Linux properly
    ISOs from torrents are bad, and buggy

Years
  • If you OS is pre-installed with XP, Vista won't work so good, and that's the reason of "Windows Vista Sucks".
    I had Vista, and I can boot Linux properly
    ISOs from torrents are bad, and buggy

excactly what I was trying to find out of him, because unless you have tried multiple torrents, you're not going to know if it is your computer or the torrent. Like I had Vista on my desktop, and changed it to XP Pro, but I had to download about 5 torrents to find one that worked..

Back