• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Ar-kay-us or Ar-see-us?

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I pronounce it as Ar-see-us. I never really heard anyone pronounce it as Ar-kay-us.

Years
  • Well... Some latin lessons...
    Arceus got it's name from the latin word "Deus" which can be translated as "God". Well back to topic...
    Wah! **** XD Well. For me it's pronounced differently than for you since we german pronounce names differently. But I think it's kinda like the Ar-see-us part.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've always referred to it as Ar-see-us, but it doesn't really matter to me if it's the wrong way to say it 'cause I'm never going to be talking to someone about it. So long as I can spell its name properly, I'm okay.

Years
  • I've always referred to it as Ar-see-us, but it doesn't really matter to me if it's the wrong way to say it 'cause I'm never going to be talking to someone about it. So long as I can spell its name properly, I'm okay.
    Seconding this. If you're regularly using it's name in real life, the pronunciation is the least of your worries. Besides, you think they'd put a little more though into what they brand "the god of pokemon".

pkmn mstr ketz

i love you too
    Years
  • ya, like ppl say, the ar-see-us one is probs how it was meant to be. but that 'zeus' 'deus' stuff is pretty clever too. but i say ar-kay-us anyway, cuz i think it sounds better, wouldn it be nice to know what the designers actually meant it to sound like? i wonder if it will appear in the cartoon...

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
  • Up until today I pronounced it Ar-key-us, but I guess I'll have to fix that based on the majority here. Dang, I'm always wrong.

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Ar-See-us. I've known that since...my friend got Pearl and used an AR, then it was Ar-see-us this and Ar-see-us that and Ar-see-us pwns u n00b, etc.

xxCelebi

Celebi Freackk.!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2009
    I've always said it Ar-see-us.
    Of course, I could be way off, since I'm not the best at pronouncing Pokemon names. [:

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
    Years
  • The pronunciation (?) is ar-see-us, because if you have ever seen one off pokemon battle revolution, that is how the announcer says the name. I have also never heard anyone pronounce it ar-kay-us

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Out of habit I pronounce it as Ar-see-us.
    It's the only one IMO that sounds right.

Back