• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2009
    Night and Day 2

The day and night system is a script that tints the screen according to the time of the day. So with this in mind you can go about solving your problems. Check under the first line in PokemonUtilities for the colour of the screen during your desired time (for example: 5 o'clock in the morning would be the 5th line in the module PBDayNight, so the colour there is -119,-96.3,-45.3,45.3). Now on your map that you want it to stay this colour forever you could set up a simple event that calls up the "Change Screen Color Tone" and set the values according to the line in the code (so it would be RED=-119, GREEN=-96.3, BLUE=-45.3 and GRAY=45.3). Now set the event to Autorun, and after the "Change Screen Color Tone" command click "Control Self Switch" and select A to be on. Now make a new event page and check the box that says "Control Self Switch" and select A. This makes the map you want to change color. Now you have to go to the map that is joined with your map that changes colour tone, and copy the event you made. But this time for the colours set all to 0, so when you leave the map with the changed color, the map color changes to its normal one again.

For the clock part, Pokemon Essentials checks the time on your computer and operates with that value. It uses the code "Time.now.hour" and i guess you could just put a "=" sign afterwards to manipulate the time that the game engine thinks it is.

Thank you, DragoChamp. I completely understand the logic of all of that, but my game does not want to cooperate. There is a backyard that the interior of the character's home leads to, and I wanted to change the color of the backyard. So I first set an event, without character graphic, on some random place on the ground. I wanted it to be about 7:00 PM, so I set the color tone to -36,-75,-13,0. Then I used the "Control Self Switch" command and set A to on. Next, I created a new event page on that same event and checked the box beneath the "Conditions," that was "Self-Switch A is On." I set both event pages to Autorun, also. Did I do something wrong? Whenever I walk from the house to the backyard, my game freezes up. It does not even show the character; the entire screen goes black and stays that way. I'm pretty sure 7:00 PM isn't that dark. Haha. But I've noticed this: whenever I set up an invisible event in my game, and my player enters the map, the game freezes. What am I doing wrong? For this situation, should I simply pin all of the tone-changing attributes to something visible, like a bush? Thank you.

You know, I actually found out my problem, and everything seems to be running smoothly. Thank you very much for everything, DragoChamp. I do have another question, however. Having set the color tone of the backyard, it will stay that way no matter what, right? Even when Pokemon Essentials is checking my computer's time? Also, let's say that the character gets the items for his father at town slightly north of his own, returns to town, and delivers the goods to his father. How would I go about setting a switch for the backyard to stop being dark, and begin to run in accordance with the time on my computer? I know I could set a switch after the father says something like, "Thank you for the goods, \pn!" and then make a new event page on the tone-changing event in the backyard that checks the switch and causes time to run normally. But can anyone walk me through the process? My mind is very muddled about this.

Here's a small script I wrote for somebody else. It will allow you to set the time to something else while a certain switch is on.
    Code:
    class Time
      def self.now
        ret=self.new
        if $game_switches[1]
          return self.local(ret.year,ret.month,ret.day,0,0) # Year, month, day, hour, minute
        end
        return ret
      end
    end
    In this case, if switch 1 is on, the time will be set to midnight on the current day. Change the switch ID and values in the brackets to suit what you need. You can also expand it using elsif statements if needed.

Thank you, Wichu. My only problem is that I wouldn't know where or how to enter that script. I'm very script-inept at the present, but I am learning. Is there a way to do this without the script, or is there a way to make a hybrid of built-in commands and script? Even if there isn't the latter and former, I would greatly appreciate if you could walk me through the process of entering the script you have given me. Even though I am inept, thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    As it's just redefining a method in a built-in script, it can be placed anywhere (outside of another script). I'd advise making a new script section to keep all your miscellaneous custom scripts in, such as this. It might help to put it near the bottom of the list of scripts, as you might need to redefine a method in another script (which will only work if the new method is after the old one).
    Here's a screenshot of my script editor to show you what I mean - here, I've put small scripts into a section called AmethystMisc. I've blurred out some of the script names as they give away some of the features I haven't announced yet.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
    uhmmm...

So, no one of you did find out what can be done about the battle screen?
    I think the creators should had added comment on, at least, more script sections, due to not everybody is a master on scripting.

Whataver, i still i'm out of ideas of which lines i should modify.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2009
    Wichu's Script

Thanks again, Wichu. But in your earlier post, within that small script, what defines the time as midnight when the switch is on? The 0,0? I apologize; it would help if I had already learned all this stuff. I don't know what def self.now, ret=self.new, return self.local, and everything in the parentheses means. I know these forums aren't used to teach Ruby or anything, but maybe you can just explain your small script bit by bit. One of these days, I will get it. Haha. I'm sorry if my questions are bothersome.

Years
    I'm still have problems, the music still refuses to play. Here is the script again.
    @>Control Variables: [0026]: Regi Defeat] +=1
    @>Play SE: '378Cry',80,100
    @>Change Battle BGM: 'SEQ_BA_DPOKE1',100,100
    @>Conditional Branch: Script: pbRoamingPokemonBattle(378,50)
    @>
    : Else
    @>
    : Branch End
    @>Control Switches: [0030: Regice Battle] = ON

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    So, no one of you did find out what can be done about the battle screen?
    I think the creators should had added comment on, at least, more script sections, due to not everybody is a master on scripting.

Whataver, i still i'm out of ideas of which lines i should modify.

Check your Inbox, I'll update you sometime tomorrow ;)

Yeah, I won't be seen in this thread for another 50 pages...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Helps!
    Whenever I try to save a file, it gives me a save failed output. It still creates a file, but when I attempt to load that file, the game crashes. Any idea what could possibly be causing this?

Edit: Never mind, I solved the problem :p.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011

Everyone has been saying for me to check the notes and everything but have you even read what i said before ?!

I done the 5 sprites exactly as it says on the Notes, and it works when the char is looking down, but Notes.. plus if i try to fish looking at right, it uses the up sprite, down, left, left, right, and then up again ? Basically strange stuff happen..

Please help me guys !

OH and could someone explain me how do i make a battle HAS to be won or the event won't happen ?

https://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5823/semttuloeef.jpg

And on this event, how can i make it appear that the player can choose to buy or not to buy the medicine ? As basically as of now, if the event is ON, he only checks to see if the player has the money, if it has, it like.. makes the player buy it even without asking if he wants, and what not..

https://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8516/semttulo2p.jpg

Thank you !

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    And on this event, how can i make it appear that the player can choose to buy or not to buy the medicine ? As basically as of now, if the event is ON, he only checks to see if the player has the money, if it has, it like.. makes the player buy it even without asking if he wants, and what not..

Thank you !

You need to add a "Show Choices" option in the script (It's on the first page when creating events). It will look like this:

Show Choices:YES, NO
    When [YES]

When [NO]

Branch End

Put your conditional branch in the [YES] part of the code.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Can you help me with the other problems matey ?

Btw, how can i make someone appear only during a certain hour ? From hour X to hour Y ?

Thank you !

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Can you help me with the other problems matey ?

Btw, how can i make someone appear only during a certain hour ? From hour X to hour Y ?

Thank you !

Sorry, not too sure about your other problems. The extra question you asked is easy. I only found out about it not too long ago on this thread. You can put scripts in switch names.

If you name a switch "s:Time.now.hour<6||Time.now.hour>=20", your event will only occur between 8pm and 6am. Just fiddle about with the numbers to set the hours. The "s:" tells the program that the switch is a script.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024

Everyone has been saying for me to check the notes and everything but have you even read what i said before ?!

I done the 5 sprites exactly as it says on the Notes, and it works when the char is looking down, but Notes.. plus if i try to fish looking at right, it uses the up sprite, down, left, left, right, and then up again ? Basically strange stuff happen..

Please help me guys !
    Basically, fishing hasn't been implemented properly. It'll only display one animation, regardless of the direction you're looking in. Get down to PokemonField, lines 1256 to 1285 and get busy fixing.

Hints: Since fishing uses five sprites, you'll need more than one character sheet. Said character sheets are named "fishing000" and so on (the number corresponds to the player's number - 000=boy, 001=girl), and are in Graphics/Characters.

For the record, your character sheet is still wrong. I would mock up a correct version, but I'm feeling lazy at the moment. The notes tell you how to do it anyway. Hint: you only need the top row and the leftmost sprite on the second row - the rest (currently) are unnecessary.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Seems hard : O

Will have to learn a bit more, hope i can do it :(

Has anyone done it anyway for their games ?

Can someone help me find or get the Sprites for the Ruby Main Char Boy (Brendan) with size for PokeStarter ? Cause all the ones i find are too small and when i try to make them bigger they get really bad :(

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Seems hard : O

Will have to learn a bit more, hope i can do it :(

Has anyone done it anyway for their games ?

Can someone help me find or get the Sprites for the Ruby Main Char Boy (Brendan) with size for PokeStarter ? Cause all the ones i find are too small and when i try to make them bigger they get really bad :(

Download Paint.NET, resize the sprites by 200% and they should be big enough to display in Pokestarter. Well, that's what I do.

On a different subject, I am getting a error when trying to add a trainer. It is using the default camper and was added via the editor. Here is the error:
    Exception: RuntimeError

Section001:112:in `effect?'undefined method `>' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

pbTrainerIntro(:CAMPER)
    Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

RPG__Sprite:397:in `effect?'

RPG__Sprite:396:in `each'

RPG__Sprite:396:in `effect?'

AnimationSprite:27:in `update'

AnimationSprite:94:in `update'

AnimationSprite:93:in `each'

AnimationSprite:93:in `update'

Scene_Map:51:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:45:in `each'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'

Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'

Any help here would be good.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm still have problems, the music still refuses to play. Here is the script again.
    @>Control Variables: [0026]: Regi Defeat] +=1
    @>Play SE: '378Cry',80,100
    @>Change Battle BGM: 'SEQ_BA_DPOKE1',100,100
    @>Conditional Branch: Script: pbRoamingPokemonBattle(378,50)
    @>
    : Else
    @>
    : Branch End
    @>Control Switches: [0030: Regice Battle] = ON

Hmm, my question seems to have gotten pushed back to the previous page. (thats what I get for posting it so late).

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    On a different subject, I am getting a error when trying to add a trainer. It is using the default camper and was added via the editor. Here is the error:

Any help here would be good.

Never mind, got it working.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back