• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
  • How can I change the default screen size/resolution from 480x320 (or so) to 240x160?

And where can I get HGSS textbox/windowskin?

You can't. When you start up your game, go to options and change it, then save.

Easy, make your own ;)

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • You can't. When you start up your game, go to options and change it, then save.

Not so, you can go into PokemonOption in your script, set it to which option of res you want, and delete the option that allows the player change it. That's what I did, and it helped a lot.

Valora17

Something Memorable?
    Years
  • Is there a way to put an image inside of the text box SOMETIMES? Like if a specific character (Ie: an important NPC) were to speak, would it be possible to have their Mugshot/VS Sprite appear within the textbox?

EDIT: Also, I am currently having trouble running an event in which two other events move. Is this because the other events are activated on a switch, or am I just failing at eventing? NOTE: They move a little bit, like one step in the way I want them to, but they then stop there.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    Im new and i need some help with this starter kit, its great and everything but when i try to create a forced wild pokemon encounter, for example, a legendary pokemon i recieve this errors saying:
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Exception: SyntaxError
    (eval):2: syntax error
    (PBSpecies::SPEAROW,20,3)
    ^
    ***Line '(PBSpecies::SPEAROW,20,3)' shouldnt begin with '(', try putting '(' at
    the end of the last line

***Full script:
    pbWildBattle

Interpreter:247:in 'pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1583:in 'command_355'
    Interpreter:492:in 'execute_command'
    Interpreter:191:in 'update'
    Interpreter:104:in 'loop'
    Interpreter:196:in 'update'
    Scene_map:96:in 'update'
    Scene_map:94:in 'loop'
    Scene_map:107:in 'update'
    Scene_map:63:in 'main'

Please help with this.

thepsynergist

Years
  • Im new and i need some help with this starter kit, its great and everything but when i try to create a forced wild pokemon encounter, for example, a legendary pokemon i recieve this errors saying:
    ^
    the end of the last line

***Full script:
    pbWildBattle

Please help with this.
    Try a different syntax. Such as this.

pbWildBattle(251,15,4,true)

This summons a Level 15 Celebi to battle, and shows a conditional branch if its captured. Just change the 251 to the ID number of Spearow, and the 15 to what level you want it at. The number 4 is the variable that the value of the battle is stored. Just make another conditional branch defining the value of the encounter. Also, be sure to put this inside a conditional branch, or it won't work. Also, check the notes that came with Pokemon Essentials for more help.

The error in question lies within event #9 on your Pokemon Lab map.

Pokeman298

Life knows not right nor wrong
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2011
    Hey, i've tried to make a trainer battle, and i keep getting this,

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:785:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:191:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:196:in `update'
    Scene_Map:96:in `update'
    Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:107:in `update'
    Scene_Map:63:in `main'
    Exception: NoMethodError
    Message: Section069:523:in `pbSetSeen'undefined method `true' for false:FalseClass
    ***Full script:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::YOUNGSTER,"JIMMY",_I("Hey, you're strong!"),false,0)
    Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
    PokeBattle_Battle:718:in `pbStartBattleCore'
    PokeBattle_Battle:549:in `pbStartBattle'
    PokemonTrainers:411:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    PokemonTrainers:410:in `pbSceneStandby'
    PokemonTrainers:412:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbBattleAnimation'
    PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:785:in `eval'

could someone help me with this?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is there a way to put an image inside of the text box SOMETIMES? Like if a specific character (Ie: an important NPC) were to speak, would it be possible to have their Mugshot/VS Sprite appear within the textbox?

EDIT: Also, I am currently having trouble running an event in which two other events move. Is this because the other events are activated on a switch, or am I just failing at eventing? NOTE: They move a little bit, like one step in the way I want them to, but they then stop there.
    1) I don't know.

2) We really can't answer that unless we can see what the events look like.

Im new and i need some help with this starter kit, its great and everything but when i try to create a forced wild pokemon encounter, for example, a legendary pokemon i recieve this errors saying:
    ^
    the end of the last line

***Full script:
    pbWildBattle

Please help with this.
    Learn to read.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Is there a way to put an image inside of the text box SOMETIMES? Like if a specific character (Ie: an important NPC) were to speak, would it be possible to have their Mugshot/VS Sprite appear within the textbox?

There's one way I know of to do it, but it will require significant extra work on your part. Use the Show Picture command just before every Show Text command to display the image in the bottom left corner (or wherever) of the character's face, then erase/replace it with another after that block of text is over. I'm not sure how you have your text boxes configured, since by default it looks like an image would overlap the text unless the image was above the text box. It's an idea though.

Valora17

Something Memorable?
    Years
  • @KitsuneKouta: That makes sense. Though right now my text boxes are the default style... so maybe if I altered where the text started?

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    hey i tried to add three new pokemon to my game and i copied charmander as a base for them but when i tried to play test the game to see if they came up i got this

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1536:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1519:in `each_line'

Compiler:1519:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1557:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2052:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2050:in `open'

Compiler:2050:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3778:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:3897

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.

i know the error has came up before in this thread but i didnt find the answer to it

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • I've started adding trainer events into my game, and I've came across an odd error. This error only happens for trainer classes that I made as "alternate versions." For example the PSYCHIC trainer event has no issues, but the female counterpart PSYCHICf comes up with a syntax problem. As does RANGERf, aka female ranger. I've tried renaming the trainer types to something similar (this means I edited it in Trainers.txt, trainernames.txt, and the event itself. But I still get this error:
    Code:
    Message: Script error within event 9, map 40 (Sepia Forest):
    Message: Section067:1603:in `pbStartBattle'undefined method `x' for nil:NilClass
    ***Full script:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RANGERf,"Starlisa",_I("You appear to be a responsible and young trainer."),false,0)
    PokeBattle_ActualScene+++:1591:in `loop'
    PokeBattle_ActualScene+++:1614:in `pbStartBattle'
    PokeBattle_Battle+:734:in `pbStartBattleCore'
    PokeBattle_Battle+:567:in `pbStartBattle'
    PokemonTrainers+++:405:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    PokemonTrainers+++:404:in `pbSceneStandby'
    PokemonTrainers+++:406:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    PokemonTrainers+++:403:in `pbBattleAnimation'
    PokemonTrainers+++:403:in `pbTrainerBattle'

And as I said before, this only happens to these types of trainers. I have a LASS, TWINS, and several BUGCATCHER and YOUNGSTER trainer events, that are made exactly the same way that come up with no error what-so-ever. I took a look at the mentioned scripts, but nothing seems wrong. And I also don't know what this "`x' " is.

EDIT: Nevermind. For some reason, any newly added trainers aren't working irregardless of trainer class. I added in a new Bug Catcher and he worked, but all trainers after that did not. I honestly don't have an idea what's going on.

Valora17

Something Memorable?
    Years
  • hey i tried to add three new pokemon to my game and i copied charmander as a base for them but when i tried to play test the game to see if they came up i got this

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1536:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
    Compiler:1519:in `each_line'
    Compiler:1519:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
    Compiler:1557:in `pbEachFileSection'
    Compiler:2052:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2050:in `open'
    Compiler:2050:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:3778:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:3897

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.

i know the error has came up before in this thread but i didnt find the answer to it

I had this error a while back. I can't remember the EXACT way I fixed it, but if the new pokemon you are trying to add has a unique ability you need to add that to PBS/abilities or it wont work. If you did that already or if it doesn't HAVE a custom ability, then check PBS/moves to see if the attacks you have on the pokemon's movelist are there, PokeStarter (as far as I know) doesn't come with all the moves and that may be the problem too.

... yeah >> Has no relevance to the error it SAYS you have as far as I can see, but that's what fixed it for me. :] Hope it works for ya.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    @KitsuneKouta: That makes sense. Though right now my text boxes are the default style... so maybe if I altered where the text started?
    Yeah, although I don't know how to do it. It may have something to do with the txt files that correspond to the text skins, but I've never messed with them much. Although, it may require it to be permanently spaced over, meaning that you'd always need an image to fill the space. If you want to be cheap about it, you could just use spaces so that you could still have text without images selectively.

thepsynergist

Years
  • Yeah, although I don't know how to do it. It may have something to do with the txt files that correspond to the text skins, but I've never messed with them much. Although, it may require it to be permanently spaced over, meaning that you'd always need an image to fill the space. If you want to be cheap about it, you could just use spaces so that you could still have text without images selectively.

Too bad you can't just use the RPG Maker 2003 Face option...

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    1) I don't know.

2) We really can't answer that unless we can see what the events look like.

Learn to read.

You think i didnt try that, jesus :S

Also thank you thepsynergist, your advice worked :)

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Yeah, although I don't know how to do it. It may have something to do with the txt files that correspond to the text skins, but I've never messed with them much. Although, it may require it to be permanently spaced over, meaning that you'd always need an image to fill the space. If you want to be cheap about it, you could just use spaces so that you could still have text without images selectively.
    There's a message command \f[xxx] that displays a picture along with the message. It's a start.

From here, I would remove the message border that appears around the picture, edit pbPositionNearMsgWindow in PokemonMessages such that the picture is displayed in the message box rather than just above it, and edit the positioning of the text such that the picture won't overlap it (only when there's a picture).

That's all very complicated, though. I don't think even I'd be able to do it.

I've started adding trainer events into my game, and I've came across an odd error. This error only happens for trainer classes that I made as "alternate versions." For example the PSYCHIC trainer event has no issues, but the female counterpart PSYCHICf comes up with a syntax problem. As does RANGERf, aka female ranger. I've tried renaming the trainer types to something similar (this means I edited it in Trainers.txt, trainernames.txt, and the event itself. But I still get this error:
    Code:
    Message: Script error within event 9, map 40 (Sepia Forest):
    Message: Section067:1603:in `pbStartBattle'undefined method `x' for nil:NilClass
    ***Full script:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RANGERf,"Starlisa",_I("You appear to be a responsible and young trainer."),false,0)
    [COLOR=Red]PokeBattle_ActualScene+++:1591[/COLOR]:in `loop'
    [COLOR=Red]PokeBattle_ActualScene+++:1614[/COLOR]:in `pbStartBattle'
    [COLOR=Red]PokeBattle_Battle+:734[/COLOR]:in `pbStartBattleCore'
    [COLOR=Red]PokeBattle_Battle+:567[/COLOR]:in `pbStartBattle'
    [COLOR=Red]PokemonTrainers+++:405[/COLOR]:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    [COLOR=Red]PokemonTrainers+++:404[/COLOR]:in `pbSceneStandby'
    [COLOR=Red]PokemonTrainers+++:406[/COLOR]:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    [COLOR=Red]PokemonTrainers+++:403[/COLOR]:in `pbBattleAnimation'
    [COLOR=Red]PokemonTrainers+++:403[/COLOR]:in `pbTrainerBattle'

And as I said before, this only happens to these types of trainers. I have a LASS, TWINS, and several BUGCATCHER and YOUNGSTER trainer events, that are made exactly the same way that come up with no error what-so-ever. I took a look at the mentioned scripts, but nothing seems wrong. And I also don't know what this "`x' " is.

EDIT: Nevermind. For some reason, any newly added trainers aren't working irregardless of trainer class. I added in a new Bug Catcher and he worked, but all trainers after that did not. I honestly don't have an idea what's going on.
    What do the lines mentioned in the error message (the ones in red) look like? You've been modifying your scripts, so I can't tell what's supposed to be happening.

Cadeath

Dread Knight
    Years
  • Lastest Pack error -May 7, 2010

Code:
    PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'
    PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'
    PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'
    PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'
    PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'
    PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'