• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2010
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
Years
Oh, thanks Maruno but I figured out what was wrong. Turns out a small bit of script I had been playing with in PokeBattle_ActualScene caused random trainer events to work while others didn't. The thing about it though was that it had to do with editing the bg's based on the environment. Which leads to the following question. o.o

in pbBackdrop, the battle id's are determined based on the environment. PBEnvironment Cave is automatically set if an area has cave encounters, right? So I've been trying to change it to where if the player is surfing in water while in a cave the id will be different. (Essentially, same BG, different player/enemy bases) So that way when you, for example, battle a Lapras, the poor guys not situated on a rocky platform. I tried setting it up to where if the player's in the cave and is on a terrain tag for normal water but that didn't do anything. Then I thought if I reversed the order it would work. I got a syntax stating terrain is undefined. SO, well... explaining this in text takes too long. ._. Here's my multiple attempts, all of which failed.
Attempt One: (Please note I'm not that great/skilled at scripting, but I do comment things out so I can always reverse a bad attempt. o.o)
Code:
case @battle.environment 
when PBEnvironment::Cave 
   id=8
when PBEnvironment::Cave || terrain==PBTerrain::Water
   id=1 #ID for testing purposes
Attempt Two:
Code:
when terrain==PBTerrain::Water || PBEnvironment::Cave
   id=1
   id=8
Attempt Three:
Code:
   id=8
terrain=$game_player.terrain_tag
  if terrain==PBTerrain::Water || PBEnvironment::Cave
   return id=1
 end
Err... it had been something like that. ._.
and finally, attempt 4, which gave me no errors, but caused my random trainer problem.
Code:
 case @battle.environment 
=begin
  when PBEnvironment::Grass || (Time.now.hour<6||Time.now.hour>=20)
   id=1+"n"
  when PBEnvironment::Grass || (Time.now.hour>17||Time.now.hour<=20)
   id=1+"e"
  when PBEnvironment::Grass || (Time.now.hour>6||Time.now.hour<=17)
   id=1
=end
  when PBEnvironment::Grass
   id=1
  when PBEnvironment::TallGrass
   id=2
  when PBEnvironment::MovingWater
   id=3
  when PBEnvironment::StillWater
   id=4
  when PBEnvironment::Underwater
   id=5
  when PBEnvironment::Rock
   id=7
   id=8
  when PBEnvironment::Sand
   id=9
  when PBEnvironment::Snow
   id=10
  when PBEnvironment::MtnSide
   id=11
  when PBEnvironment::Marsh
   id=12
  else
   id=(outdoor) ? 0 : 6
   return id=2
 end
 end
 if $PokemonGlobal && $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
  id=$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
elsif $game_map
  back=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataBattleBack)
  if back && back!=""
   id=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataBattleBack)
  end
 end
Note: It never fixed the problem either. I'm thinking that maybe I'll have to make some edits in PokemonField rather than actual scene, but I'm not sure... And my competence in scripting is rather questionable. o.o;

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
How do I change the shiny encounter rate?
It's set by default, to 8126 or something, how would I change it to 300?
Thanks

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I searched the thread and couldn't find anything on this subject, and please don't laugh at my stupid questions but:

1. How do I add new tile sets? I put them in the tile set folder, and tried importing them while in RMXP but it didn't work correctly.

2. How do I add new Over World sprite sheets? And is there any certain format the sheet needs to be in?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I searched the thread and couldn't find anything on this subject, and please don't laugh at my stupid questions but:

1. How do I add new tile sets? I put them in the tile set folder, and tried importing them while in RMXP but it didn't work correctly.

2. How do I add new Over World sprite sheets? And is there any certain format the sheet needs to be in?
1. Open the database after you import the tileset, go to the tilesets tab, and make a new entry with the desired tileset set as the Tileset Graphic. You'll have to do all of the passability and priority after setting it up there.

2. The sheets don't have a specific size, but must be 4 rows by 4 columns. like this:

X X X X
X X X X
X X X X
X X X X

You import them like any other graphics (to the characters folder), and they're ready to use.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
I'm sorry to say this, but I am in particular need of donations. My site was suspended for payment reasons. If anyone can donate any amount I would appreciate it. The link is in my signature.

Years
Pokemon Essentials notes say that titles support .gif files. But when I try to import a gif file via materialbase, I don't see it. I tried changing extensions to .png but it didn't help. When I just pasted my animation file (named Pic_1.png) to a Titles folder, its not animated :/
Can anyone help me please?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 7, 2010

I had this error a while back. I can't remember the EXACT way I fixed it, but if the new pokemon you are trying to add has a unique ability you need to add that to PBS/abilities or it wont work. If you did that already or if it doesn't HAVE a custom ability, then check PBS/moves to see if the attacks you have on the pokemon's movelist are there, PokeStarter (as far as I know) doesn't come with all the moves and that may be the problem too.

... yeah >> Has no relevance to the error it SAYS you have as far as I can see, but that's what fixed it for me. :] Hope it works for ya.

all the moves happen to be in the pbs file same with its ability it still isn't working

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Pokemon Essentials notes say that titles support .gif files. But when I try to import a gif file via materialbase, I don't see it. I tried changing extensions to .png but it didn't help. When I just pasted my animation file (named Pic_1.png) to a Titles folder, its not animated :/
Can anyone help me please?

Dont paste it, somehow it can make a difference if you save it there directly. Not sure why.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Still didn't work :/
Maybe I'm using wrong program to make gif images. Have anyone tested someting and proved it works with essentials?

There's always the choice of U-lead gif animator. It's quite good at saving them as a png format.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
Does anyone know what's up with the day and night system in Pokemon Essentials?

I've an older one, but maybe that's the issue. For some reason, its getting dark way too early, like 5pm its night time, but the lights don't come on yet. They do that at the normal time. Anyone have a working day and night system?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
in pbBackdrop, the battle id's are determined based on the environment. PBEnvironment Cave is automatically set if an area has cave encounters, right? So I've been trying to change it to where if the player is surfing in water while in a cave the id will be different. (Essentially, same BG, different player/enemy bases) So that way when you, for example, battle a Lapras, the poor guys not situated on a rocky platform. I tried setting it up to where if the player's in the cave and is on a terrain tag for normal water but that didn't do anything. Then I thought if I reversed the order it would work. I got a syntax stating terrain is undefined. SO, well... explaining this in text takes too long. ._. Here's my multiple attempts, all of which failed.
Attempt One: (Please note I'm not that great/skilled at scripting, but I do comment things out so I can always reverse a bad attempt. o.o)
Code:
case @battle.environment 
   id=8
when PBEnvironment::Cave || terrain==PBTerrain::Water
   id=1 #ID for testing purposes
Attempt Two:
Code:
when terrain==PBTerrain::Water || PBEnvironment::Cave
   id=1
   id=8
Attempt Three:
Code:
   id=8
   return id=1
 end
Err... it had been something like that. ._.
and finally, attempt 4, which gave me no errors, but caused my random trainer problem.
Code:
 case @battle.environment 
=begin
  when PBEnvironment::Grass || (Time.now.hour<6||Time.now.hour>=20)
   id=1+"n"
  when PBEnvironment::Grass || (Time.now.hour>17||Time.now.hour<=20)
   id=1+"e"
  when PBEnvironment::Grass || (Time.now.hour>6||Time.now.hour<=17)
   id=1
=end
  when PBEnvironment::Grass
   id=1
  when PBEnvironment::TallGrass
   id=2
  when PBEnvironment::MovingWater
   id=3
  when PBEnvironment::StillWater
   id=4
  when PBEnvironment::Underwater
   id=5
   id=7
   id=8
   id=9
  when PBEnvironment::Snow
   id=10
  when PBEnvironment::MtnSide
   id=11
  when PBEnvironment::Marsh
   id=12
  else
   id=(outdoor) ? 0 : 6
   return id=2
 end
 end
 if $PokemonGlobal && $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
  id=$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
elsif $game_map
  back=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataBattleBack)
  if back && back!=""
   id=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataBattleBack)
  end
 end
Note: It never fixed the problem either. I'm thinking that maybe I'll have to make some edits in PokemonField rather than actual scene, but I'm not sure... And my competence in scripting is rather questionable. o.o;
That's all quite nasty (and wrong, as you know). The first two attempts failed because "case" statements don't work like "if" clauses. The third attempt might have worked (if you'd removed the "|| PBEnvironment::Cave" because it's already assumed that you're in a cave), except you shouldn't be returning anything - nowhere else in pbBackdrop is anything returned. The fourth attempt would never have been looked at (you're in a cave, therefore the "else" part of the "case" statement never would be looked at), and once again you're trying to return something.

Another problem you have, aside from the lack of scripting knowledge, is that "||" means "OR", and you wanted to use "&&" which means "AND". If your attempts somehow worked, you would be using your new backdrop both when you were in a cave OR when you were surfing (regardless of whether you were surfing inside or outside). You want the backdrop to be used only when you were in a cave AND surfing.

Think for a moment what you want. You want to change what backdrop is used while the player is in a cave depending on whether or not the player is surfing. You cant to figure out when the player is surfing or not. Conveniently, $PokemonGlobal.surfing contains just such a piece of information.

Code:
   id=7
   id=8
[COLOR=Red]   id=12 if $PokemonGlobal.surfing[/COLOR]
   id=9
Have a go with that. Nice and simple, and it works.

Note, however, that this will be overwritten if there has been a "nextbattleback" defined (usually used for event encounters), or if the map you're on has a battleback specifically defined to be used on that map (usually used for, say, cemeteries or old warehouse or Distorted World backgrounds - special ones that are only used on certain maps, and which don't depend on the terrain).

Normally, this shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't want to use the surf-cave background in a place where you also want to use a crystal-cave background (or whatever - something special).

How do I change the shiny encounter rate?
It's set by default, to 8126 or something, how would I change it to 300?
Thanks
PokeBattle_Pokemon, def isShiny?. There's a "d<8" in there - that 8 divided by 65536 is the odds of having a shiny Pokémon (=1/8192). Make "8" bigger to make them more common. For a (nearly) 1 in 300 chance, change "8" to 218.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2011
Castform alternate forms

Can someone help me with castform's alternate forms? I have a good start. I put this code at the top of pbforecast:

Code:
MultipleForms.register(:CASTFORM,{
"getForm"=>proc{|pokemon|
[email protected]
 if weather==PBWeather::SUNNYDAY
  next 1
 elsif weather==PBWeather::RAINDANCE
  next 2
 elsif weather==PBWeather::HAIL
  next 3
 elsif (weather==0 || weather==PBWeather::SANDSTORM)
  next 0
end
}
})
The problem is that the battlers do not change during the battle. But if I go to the pokemon's summary page the graphic changed correctly. And also after the battle is over, castform does not change back to the original form. What am I doing wrong? Or am I going in the wrong direction, lol. Thanks :)

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
okay so in my game, there's this whole side plot revolving around the character hatching eggs - you get a random egg, hatch it, get another random egg, hatch it, etc etc, and the eggs are of like, specific pokemon. I'm using an array to store the types of pokemon you can get from the eggs, and delete the eggs you get, so there's no chance of getting the same pokemon twice, because that would sort of ruin this whole side plot haha

unfortunately, the array seems to reset (as in it's possible to get the eggs that you've already hatched once before) after you save the game, exit, and get back into your saved game, and I have no idea why/how to fix it :(

I won't paste the whole egg generatey code I'm using because it's kind of long, but I made a way shorter test version that works (and resets) in exactly the same way:

Code:
$testpokemon = [
      PBSpecies::ELEKID,
      PBSpecies::SMOOCHUM,
]

def pbTestPokemon
  tpnumber = rand($testpokemon.length)
  pbAddPokemon($testpokemon[tpnumber],25)
  $testpokemon.delete($testpokemon[tpnumber])
end

Years
Oh, I've also got question about Day/Night system. Do i have to call any script or something to make it active, or it works already in freshly downloaded starter kit?

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
Oh, I've also got question about Day/Night system. Do i have to call any script or something to make it active, or it works already in freshly downloaded starter kit?

It works automattically but for some reason, mother nature can't seem to decide what time it is in my game...

Cadeath

Dread Knight
Years
XP won't work. Vista OK ^^

Help me on my error...
I guess this is related to the time
ty

Code:
Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'
PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'
PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'
PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'
Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:179:in `update'

where do the game get their time?
window slider?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017

Code:
$testpokemon = [
      PBSpecies::ELEKID,
      PBSpecies::SMOOCHUM,
]

def pbTestPokemon
  tpnumber = rand($testpokemon.length)
  pbAddPokemon($testpokemon[tpnumber],25)
end
Try replacing this line:
with this one:
$testpokemon[tpnumber]=nil
This makes the array element blank. I guess delete isn't a valid array command, but I'm not entirely sure.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
Try replacing this line:
with this one:
$testpokemon[tpnumber]=nil
This makes the array element blank. I guess delete isn't a valid array command, but I'm not entirely sure.

it's just...it works perfectly - that is, you can't get the same egg/pokemon/whatever twice - but if you save and exit, and then come back into the game, it's like those array elements were never deleted - you can get the egg/pokemon/whatever again.

$testpokemon[tpnumber]=nil seems to have the same problem :/

argh, this is so frustrating! I totally thought this part of my game worked perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back