• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Its in script, i will look to pokemon save and load.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Just to let people know, I've been looking at bridges. I have now gotten them to work almost properly.

I made the attached map to come up with all the ways bridges can be used, and I'm now at the stage where you can walk/surf where you should and only where you should.

There are just a few small problems remaining, all of which I have some idea of how to fix (but they'll take time):

• When crossing a bridge over still water, reflections only show if you're on the southmost part of the bridge, and don't show between the gaps in the bridge (if there are any). You can avoid this by only having bridges one tile wide.
    • The priorities of the bridge tiles aren't all set to below the player, just the one you step on first. You can avoid this by using the same tile for all parts of the bridge. Advice on the styles of bridges you make (i.e. where different bridge tiles go) would be appreciated, otherwise I'll just guess.
    • Other priority problems, where the bridge appears above the player for a split second before going below them (if you're about to step on it).
    • If you save the game on a bridge and then load it, you end up underneath the bridge (and probably stuck). Simple solution: don't save on bridges.
    As I said, I have some idea of how to fix all these problems. I thought you guys might like to know what I'm up to.

Look forward to bridges!

MilesG170

Team Enigma Founder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Ok, so I went into my editor, and got this error message.

Spoiler:

Afterwards, I went to check my data, and then noticed a ton of things were gone. What the heck did I do wrong?

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Does anybody know where the update method of scripts are?

They tend to be called what they are XD. def update. They usually contain methods such as Input.update and/or Graphics.update.

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2013
    They tend to be called what they are XD. def update. They usually contain methods such as Input.update and/or Graphics.update.

Yeah but where are they? i.e. is there an update method in every script or is there only one?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Yeah but where are they? i.e. is there an update method in every script or is there only one?
    Not every script has an update method, but several do. It's usually present whenever dealing with non-static graphics or places that the user can perform any kind of input, such as clicking with the mouse or pressing keys. The easiest way to find them is to use Ctrl+Shift+F. It's your best friend when trying to find anything, since it searches through all script sections instead of just the current one like Ctrl+F does.

MilesG170

Team Enigma Founder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    I just wanted all you guys answering questions to know how helpful you have been. Even with questions I haven't had yet, it's just great to see that I could get help. I feel like you guys really do promote helping people learn how to solve their own problems as well. Keep up the good work, guys.

Opalescent

Ninja Mapper
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    BattleBackground Help

Hey, first off, thanks for this. Its great, and my knowledge of RPG Maker is making this a breeze to use.

Secondly, I'm having a real problem. I tried google, but I'm getting very frustrated and I really hope somebody here can help.

When I try and change the battle backgrounds, its just a black screen during battle. The images are .png format, they're the right size etc. I wanted to change the battle back to something like this: https://ligtherzein.deviantart.com/art/Battlebackground-193424462 (I'll provide the actual image if necessary) since the Notes.html says that the battle background can be any size :/

The images I have all end in GRASS ( example: battlebgGrass.png), and in the Metadata editor I've made it so that that is what it uses. But no matter what I do, its a black screen during battle. Can someone help me please?

MilesG170

Team Enigma Founder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Hey, first off, thanks for this. Its great, and my knowledge of RPG Maker is making this a breeze to use.

Secondly, I'm having a real problem. I tried google, but I'm getting very frustrated and I really hope somebody here can help.

When I try and change the battle backgrounds, its just a black screen during battle. The images are .png format, they're the right size etc. I wanted to change the battle back to something like this: https://ligtherzein.deviantart.com/art/Battlebackground-193424462 (I'll provide the actual image if necessary) since the Notes.html says that the battle background can be any size :/

The images I have all end in GRASS ( example: battlebgGrass.png), and in the Metadata editor I've made it so that that is what it uses. But no matter what I do, its a black screen during battle. Can someone help me please?
    Not sure if it will help, but on the essentials tilesets, they all have battle bg 1 shown.

Like in the attachment.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012

Not sure if it will help, but on the essentials tilesets, they all have battle bg 1 shown.

Like in the attachment.

@MilesG No that doesn't help XD it has no effect on the battles.
    Basically within the editor you should see something about backgrounds and being able to set them but really not sure about it since the last time I used essentials.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    I just recently posted my update sprites code to the resource center for any still trying to figure out how to change a Pokemons sprite in battle this might help, but some scripting knowledge is still be required to make it work for your project.

Hopefully, I'll have time soon to copy this over to the wiki and expand it.

@Maruno: I'm excited to see a tutorial for bridges. I tried to get them working for myself, but reached the edge of my scripting knowledge.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    Does anybody know how to give the player characters a default name if the player leaves the name entry blank?

Opalescent

Ninja Mapper
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    The editor is where I set it all up :/ I double checked spelling etc but that didnt help :/

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

Editor inputs it to PBS file wrong. GO to PBS, go to metadata.txt, go to map in question, find the line it has the battle background number, delete the little rectangle thing, and save

Years
  • Does anyone know the way in which the the player's Pokemon is handled when scripting Pokeballs, I believe "battler" is for the opponent, but I can't figure how to use the player's Pokemon.
    Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: (some more info)
    I want to compare the level of the player's current Pokemon and compare it to the enemy's level.
    I know how to do the comparing, but I don't understand where I can get the info to compare it with.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    Does anyone know the way in which the the player's Pokemon is handled when scripting Pokeballs, I believe "battler" is for the opponent, but I can't figure how to use the player's Pokemon.
    Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: (some more info)
    I want to compare the level of the player's current Pokemon and compare it to the enemy's level.
    I know how to do the comparing, but I don't understand where I can get the info to compare it with.
    On which script/method/line do you need this comparison?

Opalescent

Ninja Mapper
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Editor inputs it to PBS file wrong. GO to PBS, go to metadata.txt, go to map in question, find the line it has the battle background number, delete the little rectangle thing, and save

I love you, thankyou so much!

Also, one last question. Is it possible to take a pokemon out of the party and then return the EXACT same pokemon to the player?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I love you, thankyou so much!

Also, one last question. Is it possible to take a pokemon out of the party and then return the EXACT same pokemon to the player?
    It looks like you can call
    Code:
    $game_variables[800]=$Trainer.party[0]
    $Trainer.party.delete_at(0)
    $Trainer.party.compact!
    to save the Pokemon to variable 800, and then call $Trainer.party[5]=$game_variables[800] later to add them back into your party at the 6th spot. You can obviously make the 5 whatever you want, and will probably need to put it in a conditional branch as with any other script to add new pokemon just in case the party is full. It looks like it works ok.

Years
  • On which script/method/line do you need this comparison?

For making a Pokeball, I want to compare the level of the enemy to the level of the player's current pokemon, I am trying to script a LEVELBALL.
    I believe the script would be something like this, but I still need to know the way to get the level of the Player's Pokemon. Correct me if I am wrong (most likely):

Code:
    })
    BallHandlers::ModifyCatchRate.add(:LEVELBALL,proc{|ball,catchRate,battle,battler|
          if PLAYER.level>battler.level
            catchrate
            if PLAYER.level<(battler.level*2)
             catchRate*=2
           else
             if PLAYER.level<(battler.level*4)
              catchrate*=4
            else
              if PLAYER.level>(battler.level*4)
                catchrate*=8
              end
     next catchRate