• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
  • Does anyone know which lines you change for the position of the enemy's Pokémon in trainer and wild battles? I found the one for your own mon, but can't find this.

And I also haven't been able to figure out my previous problem yet. Sorry, if it was already answered, but I got confused...

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • It looks like you can call
    Code:
    $game_variables[800]=$Trainer.party[0]
    $Trainer.party.delete_at(0)
    $Trainer.party.compact!
    to save the Pokemon to variable 800, and then call $Trainer.party[5]=$game_variables[800] later to add them back into your party at the 6th spot. You can obviously make the 5 whatever you want, and will probably need to put it in a conditional branch as with any other script to add new pokemon just in case the party is full. It looks like it works ok.

You have just helped me out as well. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    For making a Pokeball, I want to compare the level of the enemy to the level of the player's current pokemon, I am trying to script a LEVELBALL.
    I believe the script would be something like this, but I still need to know the way to get the level of the Player's Pokemon. Correct me if I am wrong

Ah, well. I don't use the newest version, so i didn't had those methods.
    Well, since you have the battle object as parameter it should be really to use it like this:

Code:
    BallHandlers::ModifyCatchRate.add(:LEVELBALL,proc{|ball,catchRate,battle,battler|
     if PLAYER.level>battler.level
            catchrate
            if battle.battlers[0].level<(battler.level*2)
             catchRate*=2
           else
             if battle.battlers[0].level<(battler.level*4)
              catchrate*=4
            else
              if battle.battlers[0].level>(battler.level*4)
                catchrate*=8
              end
     next catchRate
    })

battle.battlers is an array of all battlers... the first position should be always the first pokemon of your party. It should work (:

Years
  • Ah, well. I don't use the newest version, so i didn't had those methods.
    Well, since you have the battle object as parameter it should be really to use it like this:

Code:
    BallHandlers::ModifyCatchRate.add(:LEVELBALL,proc{|ball,catchRate,battle,battler|
     if PLAYER.level>battler.level
            catchrate
            if battle.battlers[0].level<(battler.level*2)
             catchRate*=2
           else
             if battle.battlers[0].level<(battler.level*4)
              catchrate*=4
            else
              if battle.battlers[0].level>(battler.level*4)
                catchrate*=8
              end
     next catchRate
    })

battle.battlers is an array of all battlers... the first position should be always the first pokemon of your party. It should work (:

Thank you so much, your method worked, I had to redo the script because I made a mistake when writing it here, but I used your method and now works perfectly.
    Thank you, again.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I just recently posted my update sprites code to the resource center for any still trying to figure out how to change a Pokemons sprite in battle this might help, but some scripting knowledge is still be required to make it work for your project.

Hopefully, I'll have time soon to copy this over to the wiki and expand it.

@Maruno: I'm excited to see a tutorial for bridges. I tried to get them working for myself, but reached the edge of my scripting knowledge.
    That sprite update code looks like a good contribution. I know Transform works already, but nothing else does, and it's kinda important.

Glad to see someone's interested in bridges. For your information, I've got it to work just fine now, with the sole exception that the player won't have a reflection in still water (I could solve this if people want it, but it's not a big priority). I'll get to putting it in the wiki tomorrow, hopefully. It'll be one of my tutorials. Turns out the "small problems" I mentioned earlier kept twisting around and mutating, and eventually I pretty much wrote the whole thing from scratch using a completely different method.

Does anybody know how to give the player characters a default name if the player leaves the name entry blank?
    pbPlayerName sets the player's name. If it's blank, then it will look through the player's computer to find their username, and set that as the name instead. Change that check to whatever name you want.

moudinho

Moudinho Of All Trades
    Years
  • I have one question to ask.This may be silly but...here goes.
    What will be the file format of the end product of the game produced?Will it be a GBA rom?

Atomic Reactor

@Moudinho: No, it will be an .exe because it's made in rpg maker xp. Therefore, it can only be played on the computer :)

Ok, so I was editng my scripts again... which is a poor mistake since i can't read rgss -.-
    Anyway, i was deleting the map view, frame, and speech frame option in PokemonOptions. Well, deleting map view option went fine. Then i did the 2 frame options, and it messed everything up. I tried adding them back in, but im not sure if i added them in correctly, or in the right spot.
    Because now i keep getting syntax errors.
    I get and error on line 314. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? :(
    (btw, I'm still using and old version of essentials.)

Here's my current code :/
    Spoiler:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • @Moudinho: No, it will be an .exe because it's made in rpg maker xp. Therefore, it can only be played on the computer :)

Ok, so I was editng my scripts again... which is a poor mistake since i can't read rgss -.-
    Anyway, i was deleting the map view, frame, and speech frame option in PokemonOptions. Well, deleting map view option went fine. Then i did the 2 frame options, and it messed everything up. I tried adding them back in, but im not sure if i added them in correctly, or in the right spot.
    Because now i keep getting syntax errors.
    I get and error on line 314. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? :(
    (btw, I'm still using and old version of essentials.)

Here's my current code :/
    Spoiler:

Well, that sucks, dude.

I'd try to help, since I know a little RGSS, but I can't compare this to my script, since like you said: This is an old version of PE.

Do you have a backup which you can copy the old script from and replace the new one?

That's all I can really think of... :/

Atomic Reactor

No, i already looked around for one, but ill look again. But i don't think i have another copy :(

Atomic Reactor

I checked, and the oldest edition on there is still newer than mine, with updated scripts :/

StevieJee

Pokémon Agate
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    Hey!
    I hope someone can help me. Due to my laptop or whatever it is, the database in RPG Maker XP doesn't work perfectly. The screen size of the database is too small and when it comes to tilesets, it cuts the edge off the right hand side of the tileset by 1 and a half tiles. Now, I've downloaded the recent Essentials kit and I've noticed that the passability and priority haven't been set on all the tiles. I can edit the first 6 and a half tiles and make them whatever I want but I can't edit those remaining 1.5 tiles?

Does anyone have a copy of the Essentials kit with the Passage and the Priority for each tile in the map already done? I've tried everything including changing my resolution to downloading a program to fake the resolution of the screen and nothing works. I don't understand why it has done this.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hey!
    I hope someone can help me. Due to my laptop or whatever it is, the database in RPG Maker XP doesn't work perfectly. The screen size of the database is too small and when it comes to tilesets, it cuts the edge off the right hand side of the tileset by 1 and a half tiles. Now, I've downloaded the recent Essentials kit and I've noticed that the passability and priority haven't been set on all the tiles. I can edit the first 6 and a half tiles and make them whatever I want but I can't edit those remaining 1.5 tiles?

Does anyone have a copy of the Essentials kit with the Passage and the Priority for each tile in the map already done? I've tried everything including changing my resolution to downloading a program to fake the resolution of the screen and nothing works. I don't understand why it has done this.

Last edited:

tImE

Years
  • I checked, and the oldest edition on there is still newer than mine, with updated scripts :/

Well, then I guess you'll have to update to a newer engine version, dude.
    Do you have a lot of custom scripts?

Otherwise, just copy the graphics, tileset-data and map-data over to the new one.

PM me if you need help modifying the new engine, if you decide to do so.
    I've got a good base engine, and moderate RGSS knowledge.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I checked, and the oldest edition on there is still newer than mine, with updated scripts :/
    I have a number of older versions of Essentials lying around on my computer. PM me with which version you want, and I'll see if I have it.

Hey!

Give us a screenshot of whatever it is you're talking about.

Essentials by default doesn't have all the priorities/terrain tags/etc. set for all tiles. It's incomplete in a lot of respects, which is intentional - it makes you think and do your own work.

Atomic Reactor

No worries guys! i got my old copy of my game off my laptop that im letting my mother borrow. So i took that old script and put it back into my current project. All is working again! Thank god for mothers day ^_^

StevieJee

Pokémon Agate
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    Here's an image of what I mean. If I could get it to work I'd gladly go through and do it all myself but everything I've tried just prevents me from fixing it. I think I'd need to hard code the .exe file and I have NO idea how to do that.

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2013
    Hey, does anybody know how to play a movie? I know how to call the script and I see the script but where do i put in the name of the movie i need to play?

tImE

Years
  • Here's an image of what I mean. If I could get it to work I'd gladly go through and do it all myself but everything I've tried just prevents me from fixing it. I think I'd need to hard code the .exe file and I have NO idea how to do that.

Wow. That certainly is a problem.
    I think you're right, one might have to crack open the program itself, and even then, it might not be able to be fixed.

I'd suggest you buy a cheap monitor on at least 1024x768 or 1280x720.
    And then hook it up to your laptop.

That's the only solution I can see really. :/

StevieJee

Pokémon Agate
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    I'd suggest you buy a cheap monitor on at least 1024x768 or 1280x720.
    And then hook it up to your laptop.

That's the only solution I can see really. :/

Yeah... I tried that, still didn't work. I'm using the same copy of RPG Maker XP I've always used and it worked fine on my old PC but now won't work on my laptop and since the old PC is broken, I can't go back to it. :(

Years
  • Yeah... I tried that, still didn't work. I'm using the same copy of RPG Maker XP I've always used and it worked fine on my old PC but now won't work on my laptop and since the old PC is broken, I can't go back to it. :(

Have you tried changing the resolution of the screen?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back