• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
  • Oi, I got this error when trying to boot up the latest version of Essentials. I didn't edit it at all, but when I tried loading up the saved game, it just crashed on me.
    Spoiler:

Anybody know how to fix it?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    EDIT: Ugh, sorry for being a total scripting noob. V.V I can't figure out where to copy and paste it to. Do I just copy and paste the 3 instances+obtainmode and obtainlevel to the bottom of the script, or do I need to copy + paste to a special area?

My Essentials

Latest Essentials
    Just make your scripts look the same as the newest scripts.

So i want to ask you something. How do you make when you choose a starter to be like in Diamond and Pearl, that little cut-scene. You open it up, 3 Pokeballs apear, you choose a Pokemon and you fight?
    This can be done by eventing, just like the Intro scene. You'll have to know what you're doing, though.

Oi, I got this error when trying to boot up the latest version of Essentials. I didn't edit it at all, but when I tried loading up the saved game, it just crashed on me.
    Spoiler:

Anybody know how to fix it?
    Start a new game. It's trying to load a savegame that doesn't contain a vital variable, and it's crashing because of that. What it's actually doing is trying to load a savegame associated with a game called "Pokémon Essentials", and because you already have one of those (an older version), it's trying to load the older savegame.

I'm thinking I should just make the savegame go in the game's folder, rather than in C:/Users/Dave/Saved Games/<name of game>. That's what it used to do, and I don't think there'd be any harm in it.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • Alright, but now I've run into quite the... peculiar thing. I try to edit Global Metadata, and it keeps being weird. Not crashing or anything like that, but it's showing values where they shouldn't be. such as "Bill" for "Player A", and a Mid file for "Player C". Any clue how to fix? I tried manual fixing, didn't work :/

herojelly

PMD Puzzle!
    Years
  • Just make your scripts look the same as newest ones.
    Does that mean deleting all the script in my copy of essentials and replacing it with all the script from the new essentials?

Ugh, I'm sorry if this is annoying you D: But I am completely confused right now. I don't actually know where to copy+paste the script because my essentials has the script ordered in a completely different way from the new essentials.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2011
    Since no one replyd me, im gonna ask again, since i have to continue with my game and can't without this.How do you make when you choose a starter to be like in Diamond and Pearl, that little cut-scene. You open the briefcase up, 3 Pokeballs apear, you choose a Pokemon and you fight?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Does that mean deleting all the script in my copy of essentials and replacing it with all the script from the new essentials?

Ugh, I'm sorry if this is annoying you D: But I am completely confused right now. I don't actually know where to copy+paste the script because my essentials has the script ordered in a completely different way from the new essentials.
    Have you made any edits to the scripts at all? If not, just use the latest version of Essentials and replace any PBS files/graphics with the one's you've modified.

If you have edited the scripts, have you edited anything in the script section PokeBattle_Pokemon? If no, copy the whole text within that section from the latest version, and paste it over the same section in your game.

If yes, just add into your game any lines which feature the word "obtainMap" as they appear in the latest version. Make sure those lines go in pretty much the same places as they are now in.

Since no one replyd me, im gonna ask again, since i have to continue with my game and can't without this.How do you make when you choose a starter to be like in Diamond and Pearl, that little cut-scene. You open the briefcase up, 3 Pokeballs apear, you choose a Pokemon and you fight?
    This can be done by eventing, just like the Intro scene. You'll have to know what you're doing, though.
    I answered you. It may not have been the answer you wanted, but it's the answer anyway. Look at how the Intro scene shows pictures and changes them based on the player's input, and do something similar with a briefcase and Poké Balls.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2011
    Have you made any edits to the scripts at all? If not, just use the latest version of Essentials and replace any PBS files/graphics with the one's you've modified.

If you have edited the scripts, have you edited anything in the script section PokeBattle_Pokemon? If no, copy the whole text within that section from the latest version, and paste it over the same section in your game.

If yes, just add into your game any lines which feature the word "obtainMap" as they appear in the latest version. Make sure those lines go in pretty much the same places as they are now in.

I answered you. It may not have been the answer you wanted, but it's the answer anyway. Look at how the Intro scene shows pictures and changes them based on the player's input, and do something similar with a briefcase and Poké Balls.
    I am very sorry, i didn't see that..:S. Thanks for the answer.

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
    Years
  • Help me.

What happened to the textbox? I used GIMP.

Asking again, Nobody helped.
    CAN ANYBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!

archeops14

The First Bird
    Years
  • Hey guys. What's the script so that you can't do something before you do something else? Also, how do I fix the thing where when I choose a starting Pokemon, the Professor changes sprites? And how do you make things impassable?

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Hey guys. What's the script so that you can't do something before you do something else? Also, how do I fix the thing where when I choose a starting Pokemon, the Professor changes sprites? And how do you make things impassable?

uuh, script to stop you doing things...

Fix what thing to the starter Pokémon?

To make things "impassable" as you ask, are you on about events or your tilesets?

anyone still have any answers for my problem?
    Spoiler:

herojelly

PMD Puzzle!
    Years
  • Have you made any edits to the scripts at all? If not, just use the latest version of Essentials and replace any PBS files/graphics with the one's you've modified.

Thank you so much. I tried to replace PBS files and graphics but ended up screwing up all the maps and stuff, so I decided to follow the instructions in the usage notes of copying the files Scripts.rxdata and EditorScripts.rxdata in the Data folder to my project's Data folder. It works now, yay!

There is a couple of problems though.

The battle backgrounds are all missing o:

Once again, backgrounds are missing. Plus everything is in a weird pocket, like the Lab Key is in the Berries.

I have a feeling I just screwed myself. D:

archeops14

The First Bird
    Years
  • Oh and how do I add Pokemon cries? And where is the graphic for the text box when you talk to someone? I want to edit it.

Last edited:

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Oh and how do I add Pokemon cries? And where is the graphic for the text box when you talk to someone? I want to edit it.

Are you making an effort to even read the essentials notes? Pokemon cries go by number of the pokedex from the Audio/SE folder.
    Text box graphic is found in the Graphics/Pictures folder. It's a big give away in there being more than one image for the text boxes.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • Are you making an effort to even read the essentials notes? Pokemon cries go by number of the pokedex from the Audio/SE folder.
    Text box graphic is found in the Graphics/Pictures folder. It's a big give away in there being more than one image for the text boxes.

Isn't the text box graphic in the windowskins folder? I'm pretty sure that's where I put my new window last time, but then again we could just have different versions of Essentials.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Isn't the text box graphic in the windowskins folder? I'm pretty sure that's where I put my new window last time, but then again we could just have different versions of Essentials.

Yeah, I've got an old version :P, but yes, you're right, was a my bad moment XD on that one part.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024

Asking again, Nobody helped.
    CAN ANYBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!
    What's it supposed to look like, then? Exactly the same but without that wandering chunk of red line in the lower left?

Each text box has an associated txt file in the folder Graphics/Windowskins. They define where the corners and sides of the text box graphic is, so that they can be resized nicely. I don't know how it works, though. Try experimenting.

Hey guys. What's the script so that you can't do something before you do something else? Also, how do I fix the thing where when I choose a starting Pokemon, the Professor changes sprites? And how do you make things impassable?
    I'm guessing you want "Wait for move completion", an event command that lets NPCs walk up to you fully before starting to talk at you. Stick it at the end of the move route.

The Professor changing sprites is a very simple eventing thing that you must know if you want to use RMXP at all. Go to the appropriate page of the Professor event and change the graphic.

Once again, backgrounds are missing. Plus everything is in a weird pocket, like the Lab Key is in the Berries.

I have a feeling I just screwed myself. D:
    Backgrounds have been moved around and changed in the recent versions of Essentials. Your best bet is to look at the latest version and find out where they are and what they're now called. Battle backgrounds are now in the Graphics/Battlebacks folder where it makes sense, and the Bag background is now called "bagbg.png" which also makes sense. A few more graphics have also changed names, so just look at all the graphics in the newest Essentials and see if they match up to what you have.

The Bag now uses 8 pockets by default, so using an old "items" PBS file with the new scripts will result in misplaced items. It's simply a case of fixing it, either by reducing the number of pockets back to 5 or moving the items into their new pockets.

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
    Years
  • Just in case you didn't figured out my last post, I'll put it again...

Originally Posted by FL . [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP
    2-Use the script:
    Code:
    pbChoosePokemon(ZZZ,3)
    $game_variables[ZZZ]=pbGetPokemon(ZZZ).happiness
    To show in textbox use \v[ZZZ]
    Change ZZZ for some variable.
    Be sure to check if this choice is cancelled or if this pokémon is an egg.
    Thanks for the script, but that shows the happiness by a exact numbered quantity, and I actually want my event to rate the hapinness by phrases like in the games, for example:

"It is super friendly to you! I'm a bit jealous!"
    "It is quite friendly to you! You must be a kind person!"
    "It's friendly toward you. It looks sort of happy."
    "It's quite cute."
    "You should treat it better. It's not used to you."
    "It doesn't seem to like you at all. It looks mean."

Source: Bulbapedia

herojelly

PMD Puzzle!
    Years
  • The Bag now uses 8 pockets by default, so using an old "items" PBS file with the new scripts will result in misplaced items. It's simply a case of fixing it, either by reducing the number of pockets back to 5 or moving the items into their new pockets.
    Thanks for the answer on graphic backgrounds, I'll do just that.

Can I just replace my "items" PBS file with the new PBS file? Or will that screw it up? And do I have to replace all the PBS files? My version seems to be lacking some, and I wonder if it needs more for certain things to work.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thanks for the script, but that shows the happiness by a exact numbered quantity, and I actually want my event to rate the hapinness by phrases like in the games, for example:

"It is super friendly to you! I'm a bit jealous!"
    "It is quite friendly to you! You must be a kind person!"
    "It's friendly toward you. It looks sort of happy."
    "It's quite cute."
    "You should treat it better. It's not used to you."
    "It doesn't seem to like you at all. It looks mean."

Source: Bulbapedia
    After you've used the scripts to put the happiness number in a Global Variable, do some comparisons. If that number is between 0 and 50, it hates you. if it's between 220 and 255, it loves you. Show different messages depending on what you have. It's not difficult.

Thanks for the answer on graphic backgrounds, I'll do just that.

Can I just replace my "items" PBS file with the new PBS file? Or will that screw it up? And do I have to replace all the PBS files? My version seems to be lacking some, and I wonder if it needs more for certain things to work.
    I'm beginning to wonder if you're trying any of this first before asking questions.

The wiki has a page about PBS files. It's called PBS file. Read it. In short, you don't need any of the battle challenge ones or "shadowmoves", and since you've got an old version of Essentials you won't need "types" either. Everything else is required. You can use your own versions if you want, but you may need to tweak them slightly to make them work properly. I don't imagine there's much of that required, though, and the wiki explains things anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back