• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

20% Brock

Freikorps Representative
Years
  • http://www.mediafire.com/?drmznb2fiz5 Try this program, use NSE to open the rom and then go to sprite, then file, export, Nameless Sprite Library. Then Open NSL and import the Sprite Library you just exported, then import your new sprites into the existing one, save it then import the modified file to the sprite you want to replace and it should work perfectly.
    If you cant get it to work upload the files and send me a PM with a link and I will fix it for you if you want.
    That works. Thanks a bunch.

Cardboard Roof

PokéROM Hacker
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jun 15, 2013
    How do I write words in the Pokemon style? By this I mean how do I make "Insert name version" in the weird arch text Pokemon uses in FireRed and Leafgreen?

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years

• You would need ASM knowledge. You have to find the animation routine and change it to the Ruby one. I would just stick with the animations :P They're cool.

we are two rare people that like the animations, but i lan on iserting new sprites-.- i.e fakemon. that sounds comlicated.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2011
    I have a question concerning the colour and metal generations:
    What's the best way to edit name/rival's name choices that appear at the beginning of the game

For example, say I want to change the name choices of RED, ASH, and JACK to JIMMY, BILL, and PETE (just for examples).

Looking at the datacrystal ROM map, I find several possibilities:

6198- Your Name Selection Header
    61B3- Rival Name Selection Header

693F-695C Your and Rival's Name
    6AA3-6B1F Available Default Names

Which of these would need to be edited in order for me to make the needed changes? Also, how are these names stored?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    question, how do i use bl(branch with link) on an existing subroutine? for example, i want to branch with link to subroutine 0x700000. how do i do that?

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    I have a question concerning the colour and metal generations:
    What's the best way to edit name/rival's name choices that appear at the beginning of the game

For example, say I want to change the name choices of RED, ASH, and JACK to JIMMY, BILL, and PETE (just for examples).

Looking at the datacrystal ROM map, I find several possibilities:

6198- Your Name Selection Header
    61B3- Rival Name Selection Header

693F-695C Your and Rival's Name
    6AA3-6B1F Available Default Names

Which of these would need to be edited in order for me to make the needed changes? Also, how are these names stored?

If you open the rom with an hex editor (hexecute or hexWorkshop, for example) you can easily find texts. load the rbgy/gsc .tbl file (you can find it on google) to decode the texts, then do a research (don't look for hex values, but for text value, for example "red","blue","gary", etc) and you should find them in sequence.
    Let me know if you need more help, i'm happy to see that i'm not the only one who works with 1st gen roms!

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2011
    If you open the rom with an hex editor (hexecute or hexWorkshop, for example) you can easily find texts. load the rbgy/gsc .tbl file (you can find it on google) to decode the texts, then do a research (don't look for hex values, but for text value, for example "red","blue","gary", etc) and you should find them in sequence.
    Let me know if you need more help, i'm happy to see that i'm not the only one who works with 1st gen roms!

Awesome, thanks a ton! This works perfectly, it's just too bad that the names have to be so short. If I had two extra bytes then it would be perfect. Is there any free space in the Pokemon Red ROM?

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    Awesome, thanks a ton! This works perfectly, it's just too bad that the names have to be so short. If I had two extra bytes then it would be perfect. Is there any free space in the Pokemon Red ROM?

There's a lot of free space. If you go at the end of each bank you find a long long string of "00" (zeros). There you have free space! (remember to edit the pointers if you decide to put the data in a different offset than the original one)

P.S.:anyway, i think that the max length of the hero/rival 's name needs ASM to be changed, so, unless you know how to do it, you have not to exceed that length

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2011
    There's a lot of free space. If you go at the end of each bank you find a long long string of "00" (zeros). There you have free space! (remember to edit the pointers if you decide to put the data in a different offset than the original one)

P.S.:anyway, i think that the max length of the hero/rival 's name needs ASM to be changed, so, unless you know how to do it, you have not to exceed that length

Well, I didn't mean the max length of the hero's name, that's good enough. I meant the total of all the possible choices. For example, the original rival name choices are:

BLUE
    GARY
    JOHN

These use up twelve letters total. The name choices I want will use up thirteen letters. Is it safe to simply move all values below down one byte to make room?

Also, thanks for the tip about free space, I hadn't noticed that.

Cinaed666

Geek.
    Years
  • Hey, I'm looking for the offset of the intro script in fire red.. The one you see with prof Oak, type both names, until you can start playing.

Can someone PM it to me please? Thanks.

For some strange reason, when I edit a map in A-Map and open my ROM, there are no changes at all :(
    Make sure the ROM isn't "read only"
    check it in the properties of the file :)

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • I've been looking for a good tut on sprite insertion to ruby , but acn't find one.

Anyone have a link to one? or would be willing to go through the steps and tell me what programs i need etc

thanks a lot in advance!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back