• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

As_Stars_Go_Out

StraightXEdge
Years
    • Age 35
    • U.K.
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    Can someone please tell me how to find free space in a hex editor for fire red sorry if im being stupid hehe x

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2022
    Okay I think I figured out the problem as to why I keep getting an RTE 13:

Code:
    #org 0x71F330
    lock
    message 0x71F530
    boxset 0x4
    checkflag 0x1FF
    if 1 0x71F480
    message 0x71F630
    boxset BOXSET_YESNO
    compare LASTRESULT 0
    if 1 0x71F480
    message 0x71F730
    boxset 0x2
    wildbattle 0xFB 0x1E
    setflag 0x1FF
    release
    end

#org 0x71F480
    release
    end

#org 0x71F530
    = It's the shrine dedicated to\nthe protector of the forest.

#org 0x71F630
    = A small hole sits in the center\nof the shrine.\pInsert the GS Ball?

#org 0x71F730
    = \v\h01 placed the GS Ball in the\nILEX shrine

When I try to compile the whole thing, I get an RTE 13. AFter checking the rom in a Hex editor, it appears only part of the code was compiled, everything up until wildbattle 0xFB 0x1E. So I tried to compile teh text at least.

Code:
    #org 0x71F480
    release
    end

#org 0x71F530
    = It's the shrine dedicated to\nthe protector of the forest.

#org 0x71F630
    = A small hole sits in the center\nof the shrine.\pInsert the GS Ball?

#org 0x71F730
    = \v\h01 placed the GS Ball in the\nILEX shrine

Compiling this went fine, no errors at all. So obviously, there seems to be a problem with the Wildpoke command. Can anyone help?

EDIT: Never mind, don't answer this. I figured out the problem. After looking at commands.html I just figured out I was doing the syntax for wildbattle all wrong.

Last edited:

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2016
    Scripts aren't working in my Ruby Hack... Help?

I just finished remapping Littleroot town, and some of the scripts aren't working. The script that prevents a player from leaving before seeing May isn't working, the script that makes Prof. Birch get chased in Route 101 isn't working, and the script that causes the little boy to say "I hear someone shouting from down the road..." isn't working. Any idea why?

Pokemon Master XD

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2006
    BIG help needed!

I'm making a Ruby hack that takes place in Johto, and when I try to go to Route 29, it's not there! Can someone please help me?

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2010
    Please Help!!

Im new to hacking and iv tried following the tutorials but i still cant get it to work, could some one please help replace treecko with this in sapphire. thanks

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2022
    okay not really a problem but more of a question.

For the rubicode "applymovement" command:

1.) is the sprite interger the interger of the sprite used on the map? What if there are two of the same sprite, how would you distinguish?
    2.) can anyone give a list of the movements you can use using #raw?

Neko-Kun

Master of Ghosts.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2007
    ummm i still need help please (page 11)

also could you tell me what is wrong with this script he gives you the pokemon everytime (he never says hows that celebi doing)

#org 0x6BEF10
    checkflag 0x82F
    if 0 0x6BEF20
    if 1 0x6BEF40
    end

#org 0x6BEF20
    message 0x6BEF30
    boxset 0x2
    givepokemon 0xFB 0x09 0x01
    setflag 0x82F
    end

#org 0x6BEF40
    message 0x6BEF50
    boxset 0x2
    end

#org 0x6BEF30
    = here is a CELEBI

#org 0x6BEF50
    = hows that CELEBI doing?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2022
    okay i got a little problem of my own now

Code:
    #org 0x71F330
    lock
    message 0x71F530
    boxset 0x4
    checkflag 0x1FF
    if 1 0x71F480
    message 0x71F630
    boxset BOXSET_YESNO
    compare LASTRESULT 0
    if 1 0x71F480
    message 0x71F730
    boxset 0x2
    goto 0x71f380
    end

#org 0x71f380
    applymovemt 0x01 0x71f3d0
    wait 0x0
    wildbattle 0xfb 30 2
    setflag 0x1ff
    cry 0xa1 0xfb
    release
    end

#org 0x71f3d0
    #raw 15
    #raw 8
    #raw 8

two problems actually:

1.) the sprite that i wanted to move doesn't
    2.) the cry & battle don't occur at all

I am hacking FireRed and it's my first hack. I have a couple of problems:

1. When I put scripts in (with advance text) the punctuation marks get messed up (ex. ! turns to ./).

2. I edited PALLET TOWN and ROUTE 1, How do I change their names to NEW BARK TOWN and ROUTE 29?

3. I switched the connections to the direction needed but I can't get to the other map, even though the paths are the same number of tiles down. Heck, sometimes I can't see the other map at all (blocked by trees)

4. When I replace the female hero w/ Marina in unlz-GBA it works, and it's there when I go to the right offset but it doesn't show up in the ROM when I play it, it's the same old girl.

5. I edit w/ both e-map and a-map, could this cause problems?

6. When i get to ROUTE 29 the wild Pokemon data I put in A-map doesn't take effect, there's nothing in the grass, how do i fix this?

7. When I use a starter Pokemon editor it says "Type Mismatch" and closes, how do I fix this?

As i said, I'm a begginer and I don't know if this is common knowledge. I've checked the tutorials and they didn't help.

Thanx

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2016
    Is there any way to rearrange the order of the Pokedex entries?

Like the title says, I want to know if there is any way to rearrange the Pokedex entries, so I can put my starters first and what not.

w_rink_ly

Novice Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    Will someone please answer my question on page 11? The one about changing the position of the front (opponent) pokemon sprite in battle.

Kataphraktoi

Prince
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    Gold\Silver\Crystal pokemon hack

Hope this is the right place for Q's...

I just found out about ROM's\emulators etc etc for gameboy, and so i have the game+emulator, works great,etc etc. But one thing i cant figure out, even after looking through the site, reading FAQs, is just a very very simple edit moves\edit stats\catch pokemon hack, for G\S\C. If anyone could link me to one, or link to a tutorial that would be great. Still trying to figure out the hex editing of the game(hexing at all,actually) and am not making much progress...

Thanks! :)

superd188

Good friends
    Years
  • one question how do I even put the game into my computer I know nothin about hacking but am about to start one can I have help here plz

Jonny Buuz

La di da di do di da di dum...
    Years
  • #org 0x7B2B00
    checkflag 0x10A
    if 0 0x7B0A54
    message 0x7B2C00
    boxset 0x2
    end

#org 0x7B0A54
    setflag 0x10A
    setflag 0x800
    checkgender
    compare LASTRESULT 1
    if 0 0x7B1D54
    if 1 0x7B0D54
    end

#org 0x7B1D54
    message 0x7B1A54
    boxset 0x02
    givepokemon 0x9B 0x05 0x00
    end

#org 0x7B0D54
    message 0x7B1B54
    boxset 0x02
    givepokemon 0x98 0x05 0x00
    end

#org 0x7B1A54
    = Hello sir, here's a Cyndaquil!

#org 0x7B1B54
    = Hello miss, here's a Chikorita!

#org 0x7B2C00
    = How's that Pokémon doing?

When I compile this script in A-Map (found in the database; I'll give credit), the sprite that I assigned the script to does not respond to the player at all. Do I need a faceplayer command in the script or something? Thank you in advance, and if you need more info, just ask. I'm still completely new to scripting.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • Seems like I'm almost the only one answering questions here...
    Guys, questions in this thread are free to be answered by everybody!

makiri said:
    Advance battle 3 doesn't work on FR, and i don't know how to edit it with hex. is there any other way?
    No, there's no way around hex if the programs won't work for you.

RicePigeonKKM said:
    Even with the new script, I still get the RTE 13. Any reason why?
    May be ebecause of a missing variable.
    Make sure you have used the exact structure for your script commands. (Press F1 on a command to see it's structure, or have a look at the "commands.html" in your EliteMap folder.)

Nusegi said:
    I've got a problem with poketronic, it says that that the rom isnt in INI...can someone help me, bacause now the rom doesnt open on VBA anymore...
    Probably your ROM got corrupted.
    You should start from your working backup copy again.

For the INI problem, that error indicates, that the ROM you tried to load is not supported (entry not added to the INI file yet).
    You can either search for the offsets yourself, or wait until it is added.

w_rink_ly said:
    Does anyone know how to change the position of the front pokemon sprite when on the battle screen. If in hex, that's fine but tell me where to look please... (if you know - if you don't, please suggest what I do about it :D)
    You can set the Sprite X and Y position in battle by using Dexter (or PokeDEX).

pikadon92 said:
    1)Who knows the offests for the order of pokemons from kanto-dex in Fire Red?
    2)Also how to edit the ho-oh in navel rock so that it'll become mew? (where's the offsets for the ho-oh btw)
    3)And how to change a new item so that it can raise pokemon's exp, just like a lucky egg? (Tell me the offsets too pls)
    1) Just search for the Pokémon bytes in the order they appear in the Dex. Then you have the offset and can re-arrange them.

2) You can find the Script offset of the Event when you take a look at it's "Script" box in your Map edit. Then just go to that offset and change HO-OH's byte to Mew's.

3) Impossible at the moment, as the structure of that data is unknown.

Neko-Kun said:
    i searched the forums but nothing came up so i mad this thread anyway

i made this wonderful lucario sprite (thieve it and i will kill and report you, you have been warned)

but i try to place it in unL7 and it says error: Image Is Not Indexed

so any help would be appreciated :D
    edit: ive removed my lucario sprites cuz watson has helped me
    You have to Index the colors of your Image with an Imaging program.
    Photoshop can do that. Reduce the colors to 16 and index the images pallete with the colors you want to have in your image.

ramon99 said:
    when i want to compile a script i always get this

what do i need to do!
    EDIT: Is it so that the rom needs to be in the map of elitemap (where scripted and rubikon is) because when i placed it there it worked :)
    Yes, you have to have the ROM in the same folder as where ScriptED's file are located.

pkmnfreak said:
    is there a way to add shadow pkmn sprites to the pokemon rom without ruinin the color?

is there a method to add shadow pokemon to the rom without changing any of part of the sprite?
    Have a correctly indexed sprite for your Shadow Pokémon, and the colors will be as you want them.

Well, you could change it's pallete to Black & White, that way you would have a "shadowed" Pokémon, and don't have to change the sprite.

Skipp said:
    is there a tool where people can add there own pokemon to the advance games?
    i see threads with "new pokemon" and wonderd if there was a tool i mentions above... thanks

Also is there a tool where i can edit the start up screen of LG ROM?
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52775

You can edit the Titlescreen's images with unLZ-GBA. (Comes with EliteMap.)
    Or you try using the new Cyclone tool (New Poketronic thread in the Tools Showcase), for which you can find a tutorial here:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60373
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60257

Twilight Seraph said:
    I'm new to hacking so I'm not sure if I'm asking this question right but I remember that you could change the starter pokemon in Emerald using a hex editor.

Now my questions are:
    Can you do the same for the main characters in the game? Namely, MAY and BRENDAN.

and if so

What is/are the offset(s) I need to change their names?

PS. Don't recommend Advance-Text for naming the characters to me. I'm can't change the names of the rival. That's why I want the offsets (if I asked that right). But if it is possible, then please tell me how ^^ thx in advance.
    Yes, you can do that.
    But to make it easier, you should load a table file into your Hex-Editor.
    This will turn the bytes to readable letters, so you can easily change texts.
    Table files can be found in the stickied thread in the Main Hacking forum.

Some tutorial can be found here:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53195
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38580

Nusegi said:
    Can someone tell me how i can create a new intro for pkmn sapphire???? And how can i take pictures of my hack? ^^'
    For the first question, see what I replied to Skipps question.

For the 2nd, in VBA, go to "File->Screen capture" and save a screenshot file.

Mr. Missing said:
    I don't know whether this'd be classed as a simple question, but I have a question. When editing gold/slver gym leaders, what order is the data in?
    The format is:
    [NAME][5001][1st Pokémon level][1st Pokémon][1st Pokémon attacks][2nd Pokémon level]...

Jonny Buuz said:
    If you put a script into a game, do you still have to edit the hex where the text goes?

As in, would

"#org 0xEFE77C
    = Yo, here's an EEVEE

#org 0xEFE62C
    = So, Hows EEVEE doing?"

put those sentences at their respective offsets?

I don't understand how scripts work.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes. That script for example will put those texts at the offsets specified above them.

Ssjsaiyan said:
    *btw i still need help

I have this script for emerald and what i want is
    1. Add a pokedex menu enable flag thing
    2. Add a pokemon menu enable flag thing
    3. Add a player received pokemon thing
    4. Add a naming thing
    ---------------------------
    #org 0xEFE5D8
    checkflag 0x93F
    if 0 0xEFE5F4
    if 1 0xEFE610
    end

#org 0xEFE5F4
    message 0xEFE77C
    boxset 0x2
    setflag 0x93F
    givepokemon 0x85 0x05 0x01
    end

#org 0xEFE610
    message 0xEFE62C
    boxset 0x2
    end

#org 0xEFE77C
    = Yo, here's an EEVEE

#org 0xEFE62C
    = So, Hows EEVEE doing?
    -----------------------------------
    The flags are different in Emerald. You should be able to find them by taking a look at the Prof.'s script when he gives you the Pokémon/DEX.

For the rest, when you take alook at existing "givepokemon" commands, you'll see that the "PLAYER obtained a POKéMON!" sentence is added just like every other text.
    So just add one more text to your script after you received the Pokémon.
    Before that text command, add a fanfare command, and after the text command, a waitfanfare command.

For the Nickname script, again take a look at existing scripts. Just copy the script of off an existing one, and change the parts you need. That is the easiest way.

As_Stars_Go_Out said:
    Can someone please tell me how to find free space in a hex editor for fire red sorry if im being stupid hehe x
    Just search for a place where you can see a lot of FF/00 bytes. That indicates free space.

Masquerade™ Inc. said:
    I just finished remapping Littleroot town, and some of the scripts aren't working. The script that prevents a player from leaving before seeing May isn't working, the script that makes Prof. Birch get chased in Route 101 isn't working, and the script that causes the little boy to say "I hear someone shouting from down the road..." isn't working. Any idea why?
    Try re-pointing the Event data again. But make sure you point it to an offset that ends with 0/2/4/C.

Pokemon Master XD said:
    I'm making a Ruby hack that takes place in Johto, and when I try to go to Route 29, it's not there! Can someone please help me?
    Make sure you have set the connections on both maps correctly.

RicePigeonKKM said:
    okay not really a problem but more of a question.

For the rubicode "applymovement" command:

1.) is the sprite interger the interger of the sprite used on the map? What if there are two of the same sprite, how would you distinguish?
    2.) can anyone give a list of the movements you can use using #raw?
    1) No, the sprite integer is the Index number of the sprite on the map.

2. A list was posted here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1787518&postcount=6 .

Neko-Kun said:
    ummm i still need help please (page 11)

also could you tell me what is wrong with this script he gives you the pokemon everytime (he never says hows that celebi doing)
    The parameters of the givepokemon command are not enough. It has more than ScriptED actually tells your it has.
    The correct form has been posted in this thread.

RicePigeonKKM said:
    okay i got a little problem of my own now

two problems actually:

1.) the sprite that i wanted to move doesn't
    2.) the cry & battle don't occur at all
    You made a typo at "applymovement". The compiling of the script was most likely stopped there because of that.

Deokishisu said:
    I am hacking FireRed and it's my first hack. I have a couple of problems:

1. When I put scripts in (with advance text) the punctuation marks get messed up (ex. ! turns to ./).

2. I edited PALLET TOWN and ROUTE 1, How do I change their names to NEW BARK TOWN and ROUTE 29?

3. I switched the connections to the direction needed but I can't get to the other map, even though the paths are the same number of tiles down. Heck, sometimes I can't see the other map at all (blocked by trees)

4. When I replace the female hero w/ Marina in unlz-GBA it works, and it's there when I go to the right offset but it doesn't show up in the ROM when I play it, it's the same old girl.

5. I edit w/ both e-map and a-map, could this cause problems?

6. When i get to ROUTE 29 the wild Pokemon data I put in A-map doesn't take effect, there's nothing in the grass, how do i fix this?

7. When I use a starter Pokemon editor it says "Type Mismatch" and closes, how do I fix this?

As i said, I'm a begginer and I don't know if this is common knowledge. I've checked the tutorials and they didn't help.

Thanx
    1. You can't put scripts in the game with Advance-Text. It is only a text editor.

2. Hex-Editor + Table file, or you could use the name change option of AdvanceMap.

3. Sometimes, you have to adjust the "Adjustment" of the map, to make it appear at the correct places. That can be changes in the connection manager of Advance-Map.

4. Have you saved your changes in unLZ-GBA to the ROM?

5. Maybe. It was causing problems in the past.

6. Again, have you saved your changes correctly? When you add Pokémon data, make sure you put it at an offset that ends with 0/2/4/C.

7. If the editor has no INI file, then you can't fix it yourself, as it is a problem with the program. If is has an INI file, you have to adjust the offsets to match the game you want to edit.

Masquerade™ Inc. said:
    Like the title says, I want to know if there is any way to rearrange the Pokedex entries, so I can put my starters first and what not.
    See my answer to that question above. (Or some pages back of this thread.)

Christos said:
    How can i put sprites in my rom?
    Same here, see my answer to that above.

Kataphraktoi said:
    Hope this is the right place for Q's...

I just found out about ROM's\emulators etc etc for gameboy, and so i have the game+emulator, works great,etc etc. But one thing i cant figure out, even after looking through the site, reading FAQs, is just a very very simple edit moves\edit stats\catch pokemon hack, for G\S\C. If anyone could link me to one, or link to a tutorial that would be great. Still trying to figure out the hex editing of the game(hexing at all,actually) and am not making much progress...

Thanks! :)
    You should take a look at the Hacking Tools Reference in the Tools Showcase.
    It will give you links to G/S/C hacking tools, which allow you to edit those things.

superd188 said:
    one question how do I even put the game into my computer I know nothin about hacking but am about to start one can I have help here plz
    You need a linker + dumping program to get your game onto your computer. (Dumping ; Copying a catridge game as a file (ROM) to your PC)

Also you should have a look at the FAQ of this forum.

Jonny Buuz said:
    When I compile this script in A-Map (found in the database; I'll give credit), the sprite that I assigned the script to does not respond to the player at all. Do I need a faceplayer command in the script or something? Thank you in advance, and if you need more info, just ask. I'm still completely new to scripting.

No, that command is not needed.
    However, again the givepokemon command is causing errors.
    As I said above, see some pages back of this thread to find the correct amount of values for it.

Phew...a lot of questions...

w_rink_ly

Novice Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    Do you mean where it says offset in dexter. I tried putting in different numbers but nothing changes... What effect do which numbers have on the position of the front sprite?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • My bad, sorry. I was thinking of the sprite positions in the Pokédex for some reason. (Oddly enough I wrote battle in my answer... XD)

Well the position data for the sprites in battle has to be set somewhere in the battle routine.

Now the only question is, where...

There are still a lot of things we haven't discovered yet, and that is one of them.
    (Basicly almost the whole battle routine is unknown...)

w_rink_ly

Novice Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    ok, well PM me if you happen to think of anything... And thanks anyway:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back