• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] The Pokémon Essentials Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Just two and a half weeks after the first new version, this happened...

A new version of Pokémon Essentials has been released!

Link: (broken link removed)

The biggest change you're likely to notice is the new script section: Settings. It contains many of the various options that used to be scattered around the scripts where they were hard to find. You can now easily change the max level Pokémon can reach, the level eggs hatch at, the badges needed for various hidden moves (or make it check the number of badges instead), whether Pokémon faint from poisoning (or lose HP to poison outside battle at all), the original screen size/zoom, the rarity of shiny Pokémon, and so on. And there are plans for even more settings in the future.

Credits have now (finally) been included somewhere they might actually be seen - in the in-game credits to be shown at the end of a game. They are incomplete, though, because I know some people here have made lots of contributions and should be mentioned by name - I'm just bad with names. If you can think of anyone who deserves to be named, nominate them!

A few of the changes are paving the way towards the big overhaul: updating to pseudo-Gen 4 style. These include making the battle screen spread itself out automatically, making the visibility circle in dark maps centre on the player properly, and adding in more potential move flags.

Enjoy!

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • Just two and a half weeks after the first new version, this happened...

A new version of Pokémon Essentials has been released!

Link: (broken link removed)

The biggest change you're likely to notice is the new script section: Settings. It contains many of the various options that used to be scattered around the scripts where they were hard to find. You can now easily change the max level Pokémon can reach, the level eggs hatch at, the badges needed for various hidden moves (or make it check the number of badges instead), whether Pokémon faint from poisoning (or lose HP to poison outside battle at all), the original screen size/zoom, the rarity of shiny Pokémon, and so on. And there are plans for even more settings in the future.

Credits have now (finally) been included somewhere they might actually be seen - in the in-game credits to be shown at the end of a game. They are incomplete, though, because I know some people here have made lots of contributions and should be mentioned by name - I'm just bad with names. If you can think of anyone who deserves to be named, nominate them!

A few of the changes are paving the way towards the big overhaul: updating to pseudo-Gen 4 style. These include making the battle screen spread itself out automatically, making the visibility circle in dark maps centre on the player properly, and adding in more potential move flags.

Enjoy!

It's really great to see people are still making Essentials better, and this is really great!

I can't help but feel a little disappointed though.
    Doing those things which you just said is possible with "Settings" used to be
    hard for people unexperienced with RGSS, and by being able to do that, you could set your game apart from the massive amount of Essentials games, made in 2 weeks and the posted in the Begginners-area.

Even though this "settings" thing is a great addition to making a customized game easier, it kind of ruins it for people like me, who worked hard on making those customizations the hard way. (Seeing as I'm not very good with RGSS.)

I'm really glad for the still-on-going support of Essentials, but I just wanted to say this.

You're still doing good work! Don't misunderstand!
    Keep making Essentials better!

I just wanted to try and point out the difference between a good starter kit and an easy edit-some-settings-and-you-have-a-finished-game kit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    In "Download" section, the newest version is: 26th July, 2011... When can I find link for this version?

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • I should check this out! Essentials hasnt been worth updating for three years, but maybe its the time now! Also, Time, dont be selfish man, you just need to be even better to set apart from others now.

tImE

Years
  • I should check this out! Essentials hasnt been worth updating for three years, but maybe its the time now! Also, Time, dont be selfish man, you just need to be even better to set apart from others now.

Yeah, yeah I know.
    Trying not to, but it feels like all my work up to now has been for nothing, since I can do in 5 minutes now, what I did then in 2 weeks, since I kinda suck at RGSS. XD

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The new download is definitely available on the wiki. Are you sure you're just not loading an old version of the page?

The download itself is here: https://www.megaupload.com/?d=FAZZCBWM

It's really great to see people are still making Essentials better, and this is really great!

I can't help but feel a little disappointed though.
    Doing those things which you just said is possible with "Settings" used to be
    hard for people unexperienced with RGSS, and by being able to do that, you could set your game apart from the massive amount of Essentials games, made in 2 weeks and the posted in the Begginners-area.

Even though this "settings" thing is a great addition to making a customized game easier, it kind of ruins it for people like me, who worked hard on making those customizations the hard way. (Seeing as I'm not very good with RGSS.)

I'm really glad for the still-on-going support of Essentials, but I just wanted to say this.

You're still doing good work! Don't misunderstand!
    Keep making Essentials better!

I just wanted to try and point out the difference between a good starter kit and an easy edit-some-settings-and-you-have-a-finished-game kit.
    I figure good starter kits are easy to use. Besides, the settings won't contain every little thing you'll ever need, just some common things that you might find useful. Of course, something like changing the screen size also requires a whole heap of work to make the game look good at the new resolution, so it's not "change a number and you're done".

I figure if you want to make a generic game with nothing special about it, then all you should need to do is mapping and eventing. Mapping and eventing is hard enough anyway, so at least if you have scripts that work it'll be more accessible. It's possible to have a great story to tell without also being a whiz at scripting, you know, and I don't think it's fair to those people to lumber them with a barely functioning, ill-documented pile of data.

tImE

Years
  • The new download is definitely available on the wiki. Are you sure you're just not loading an old version of the page?

The download itself is here: https://www.megaupload.com/?d=FAZZCBWM

I figure good starter kits are easy to use. Besides, the settings won't contain every little thing you'll ever need, just some common things that you might find useful. Of course, something like changing the screen size also requires a whole heap of work to make the game look good at the new resolution, so it's not "change a number and you're done".

I figure if you want to make a generic game with nothing special about it, then all you should need to do is mapping and eventing. Mapping and eventing is hard enough anyway, so at least if you have scripts that work it'll be more accessible. It's possible to have a great story to tell without also being a whiz at scripting, you know, and I don't think it's fair to those people to lumber them with a barely functioning, ill-documented pile of data.

Of course people should have the availabilty you explain.
    I was just a little hot-tempered yesterday, since it felt like all my work was for nothing in that specific area, now that the new version was released.

And I downloaded the newest version, and it's still a heapload of work if you want it to look good, I realized.
    I may want to change to the newer version, but my "battle system" was already finished in the last one, and I don't know how the new sprite and battle-platform XY-system works.

So I guess I'll stay on the July version.

And you need to edit the wiki, actually.
    When on the "Essentials downloads"-page you can access the new version by going into "History", but it's not there as standard.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The only edits to PokeBattle_ActualScene were to change a few coordinates to depend on the screen size. Nothing special. I'm pretty sure you can just replace that script section with your own just fine.

The wiki looks just fine to me. I edited it before I announced the update here. I don't know why you're having problems with it, but I've checked in Firefox and IE and the wiki is updated properly for me. All I can think is that you're just reloading a cached version of that page, not a fresh version. Try do a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5).

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Happens with me as well, it's got the list of changes for the new version but doesn't display the download link for it. (Yes I have made sure it's not a cached version of the page)

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Looks like I am going to have to do a bit of edits myself, because I am going dual screen, but Nice Job.

Himalama

Ghost and Psychic type addict
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013
    The only edits to PokeBattle_ActualScene were to change a few coordinates to depend on the screen size. Nothing special. I'm pretty sure you can just replace that script section with your own just fine.

The wiki looks just fine to me. I edited it before I announced the update here. I don't know why you're having problems with it, but I've checked in Firefox and IE and the wiki is updated properly for me. All I can think is that you're just reloading a cached version of that page, not a fresh version. Try do a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5).

Thank you very much. The site still doesn't work, though. Could you please tell me how to safely transfer everything? I haven't really done much scripting, only adjusting the screen size (I did a lot of events and maps, though). I added new graphics, Fakemon, Sixth gen Pokémon et cetera. I tried to just copy everything, including the game.exe file (don't laugh at me, I didn't know what else to do XD) but it was really confusing and I think I did something wrong since the battle sceen doesn't look any better yet.

tImE

Years
  • The wiki looks just fine to me. I edited it before I announced the update here. I don't know why you're having problems with it, but I've checked in Firefox and IE and the wiki is updated properly for me. All I can think is that you're just reloading a cached version of that page, not a fresh version. Try do a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5).

Well, I am using Google Chrome, and hard refreshing doesn't change anything.
    I still can't see the updated page unless I check the History of the page.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • I love the edit you made made changing pokebattle a lot more easier, but one thing what I noticed was battlers taking the extra step, but so far so good.

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Another great update maruno, i still haven't had the time to test your updates. but maybe i will soon.. keep up the good work man... you have a supporter in me :)

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is it the whole wiki that isn't updating for you guys, or just the download page? The main page should have a new announcement, and the "Map transfers" page now has a section about recording where the player has been (for example). Can you see those edits?

I have no idea what's wrong with the downloads page. Apparently there were some problems with it before too. I might make a replacement page, see if that helps, but "Essentials downloads" really is the best name for it.

I love the edit you made made changing pokebattle a lot more easier, but one thing what I noticed was battlers taking the extra step, but so far so good.
    What extra step?

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Is it the whole wiki that isn't updating for you guys, or just the download page? The main page should have a new announcement, and the "Map transfers" page now has a section about recording where the player has been (for example). Can you see those edits?

I have no idea what's wrong with the downloads page. Apparently there were some problems with it before too. I might make a replacement page, see if that helps, but "Essentials downloads" really is the best name for it.

What extra step?

When a trainer notices you they take an extra step try it with the camper with the delcaty, in the outside map he turned to the left, and while he approaches you he takes an extra step towards you.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Is it the whole wiki that isn't updating for you guys, or just the download page? The main page should have a new announcement, and the "Map transfers" page now has a section about recording where the player has been (for example). Can you see those edits?

What extra step?

the downloads page worked fine for me...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have replaced the downloads page with an (almost) identical one. That might help a bit.

When a trainer notices you they take an extra step try it with the camper with the delcaty, in the outside map he turned to the left, and while he approaches you he takes an extra step towards you.
    Ah yes, NPCs always do the full walking animation when approaching you, even if they're not actually moving for part of it.

The walking animation for all NPCs (and the player) should be twice as fast as it currently is. Unfortunately I have no idea how to change the rate of the animation. I also don't know how to interrupt the animation and stop it immediately (which will solve the problem you mentioned). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back