• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] The Pokémon Essentials Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    @Maruno:
    In Game_Character_2_
    line 10: if @anime_count > 18 - @move_speed * 2
    Change that 2 to a 3 or any other number. That will change the rate of animation.

So I recently bought a shiny new laptop, 3.0 GHz Dual Core CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4 Gigs of ram... almost the same performance :-/

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    @Maruno:
    In Game_Character_2_
    line 10: if @anime_count > 18 - @move_speed * 2
    Change that 2 to a 3 or any other number. That will change the rate of animation.

So I recently bought a shiny new laptop, 3.0 GHz Dual Core CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4 Gigs of ram... almost the same performance :-/
    Oh, fantastic! 3 works perfectly. Thank you.

What kind of performance were you getting, then?

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    I think i'm getting that 0.3ms pause thing. The game runs decently excluding those little hiccups, probably at 20+fps. At this point, I'm think I'm just gonna have to accept it. It's not a deal breaker.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • It's odd that I'm not getting the lag at all... I never have in the base essentials. Just lucky I guess.

Anyway, Maruno, do you plan to repair the glitch of the bump sound playing over itself repeatedly when the player runs into a wall? I'm sure there's a more polished fix than what I have done. (In Game_Player)

If your curious though, here's an example of the fix I've used:
    Code:
          if !check_event_trigger_touch(@x, @y+1)
            pbSEPlay("bump")
            pbWait(10)
          end
    The pbWait is obviously the new part.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Code:
    Exception: TypeError
    Message: Section058:341:in `initialize'no implicit conversion from nil to integer
    ***Full script:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Roxanne,"Roxanne",_I("I enjoyed it."),false,0)
    Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Transitions:341:in `new'
    Transitions:341:in `initialize'
    Transitions:68:in `new'
    Transitions:68:in `judge_special_transition'
    Transitions:16:in `transition'
    PokemonField:813:in `pbBattleAnimation'
    PokemonTrainers:390:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:787:in `eval'

Interpreter:275:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:787:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:319:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:193:in `update'
    Interpreter:106:in `loop'
    Interpreter:198:in `update'
    Scene_Map:103:in `update'
    Scene_Map:101:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:114:in `update'
    Scene_Map:68:in `main'

weirdest error that pops up sometimes when I am facing a battler.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • When walking around a map, the other events like NPC's on the map have a very jagged transition. If an NPC's is standing and I am moving across the screen, the event seems to be jumpy.

Any info on this?

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • maruno i have one question, what was wrong with the pbGenerateEgg(0,0) function? why did you change it, to the messier looking EGGINITIALLEVEL

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • ughh i tried your latest kit maruno, and the lag is gone, still small lag but not important, however you messed the scripts up and now i cant default the screen size to 240x180 with out changing a heap of extra crap, also your new screen size option is flawed because it changes the screen size but not the images, the sprite resizer still remains the same while i like your intentions i do not like your changes.. im sorry dude thought you made some good improvements however its still needs alot of work, keep at it man..

also i'd like to point out this does not work

def initialize
    @frame = 0 # Default window frame (see also $TextFrames)
    @battlestyle = 0 # Battle style (0=shift, 1=set)
    @battlescene = 0 # Battle scene (animations) (0=on, 1=off)
    @textspeed = 2 # Text speed (0=slow, 1=mid, 2=fast)
    @screensize = 0 # Screen size (0=240x160, 1=480x320, 2=320x240, 3=640x480)
    @font = 0 # Font (see also $VersionStyles)
    @tilemap = 1
    @textskin = 0 # Speech frame
    @language = 0 # Language (see also LANGUAGES in script PokemonSystem)
    end

so you dont think im just trying to bash you here is a screen of your new screen resize options,

and before to resize the screen size i could change the default to, 240x160 and comment out the screen option and they cant change it. now i have to edit the option script and the sprite resizer script and a few other things your changes just bring extra work that isn't needed

and again i didn't see the need for this change

maruno i have one question, what was wrong with the pbGenerateEgg(0,0) function? why did you change it, to the messier looking EGGINITIALLEVEL

especially since the rest of the kit still uses other pb functions

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It's odd that I'm not getting the lag at all... I never have in the base essentials. Just lucky I guess.

Anyway, Maruno, do you plan to repair the glitch of the bump sound playing over itself repeatedly when the player runs into a wall? I'm sure there's a more polished fix than what I have done. (In Game_Player)

If your curious though, here's an example of the fix I've used:
    Code:
          if !check_event_trigger_touch(@x, @y+1)
            pbSEPlay("bump")
            pbWait(10)
          end
    The pbWait is obviously the new part.
    I usually play with the sound off, and I don't do silly things like walking into walls, so I didn't notice this. I'll look into it.

When walking around a map, the other events like NPC's on the map have a very jagged transition. If an NPC's is standing and I am moving across the screen, the event seems to be jumpy.

Any info on this?
    The NPCs are just moving that fast. Change their speed to 3: Slow, which is just slightly slower than the player's walking speed (4: Fast is the player's running speed, so you can imagine that 6: Fastest is practically teleporting).

maruno i have one question, what was wrong with the pbGenerateEgg(0,0) function? why did you change it, to the messier looking EGGINITIALLEVEL
    You say "messier looking", I say "consistent". This way, all eggs hatch at the same level, which is defined in the Settings (default: 1). Eggs that come from breeding already used this, and it just makes sense for all other eggs to use it too.

What instances can you think of where you'd want to make a particular egg hatch at anything other than the default hatching level? Because I just don't think it's necessary, which is why the ability to set a generated egg's level was removed. Now you just use pbGenerateEgg(PBSpecies::TOGEPI).

Regarding your more recent comment, I should point out that EGGINITIALLEVEL is a variable, not a def. It's the variable in the Settings script section, in fact. I'll still use "pbWhatever" to denote defs.

ughh i tried your latest kit maruno, and the lag is gone, still small lag but not important, however you messed the scripts up and now i cant default the screen size to 240x180 with out changing a heap of extra crap, also your new screen size option is flawed because it changes the screen size but not the images, the sprite resizer still remains the same while i like your intentions i do not like your changes.. im sorry dude thought you made some good improvements however its still needs alot of work, keep at it man..
    Nice to hear the lag has been mostly wiped out. As I suspected, it was the overly complicated day/night system.

I've not messed anything up when it comes to resizing the screen. It's always been the case that if you wanted to start the game in eye-strain-o-resolution (i.e. 0.5x zoom), you needed to change more things than just the zoom number (I didn't know this at the time, though, which is why I didn't fix it). I'll look into making the zoom factor apply immediately, now that you've raised the issue. To be honest, I don't think "a heap of extra crap" would be necessary to solve this.

Essentials is still a work in progress. I'm as human as the next person, and I'm not going to have everything perfect immediately. That's why I rely on you guys reporting the faults and understanding my fallibility.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • The NPCs are just moving that fast. Change their speed to 3: Slow, which is just slightly slower than the player's walking speed (4: Fast is the player's running speed, so you can imagine that 6: Fastest is practically teleporting).

It is not them moving that is the issue.

I have an NPC standing in one place. When I am walking horizontally on the map, the sprite of the NPC looks jumpy as it moves in relation to where I am on the screen.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I found a bug that shouldn't be hard to fix... theoretically. I've taken a few whacks at it myself before, but not to any avail.

Give fog on a map a scroll factor, and this eventually happens. I had the fog set to scroll on X at a speed of 20, and it only took a few seconds for it to happen.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I should check this out! Essentials hasnt been worth updating for three years, but maybe its the time now! Also, Time, dont be selfish man, you just need to be even better to set apart from others now.
    The last Poccil's Essentials release it's from 2010 September!

Not that I know of. It's still not my problem, though - I'm not going to limit Essentials updates just to make sure it stays compatible with the various mods out there (particularly one that's going to be mostly redundant soon).

You're right. The plugins developers need to follow the main developers, not the reverse!

Maruno, can you implement to itens that are stoled by Thief and Covet (and maybe Trick and Knock Off) can be restored at the end of battle? It's not too hard, you only need to, when one item is stoled put it in one vector that have size 6 (for every pokémon slot) and restore them at the end of battle.

You're very good updating Essentials! I can't believe that you never release a game!

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It is not them moving that is the issue.

I have an NPC standing in one place. When I am walking horizontally on the map, the sprite of the NPC looks jumpy as it moves in relation to where I am on the screen.
    I don't get that, and I'm not sure why you do. Maybe you have too many events on your map?

I found a bug that shouldn't be hard to fix... theoretically. I've taken a few whacks at it myself before, but not to any avail.

Give fog on a map a scroll factor, and this eventually happens. I had the fog set to scroll on X at a speed of 20, and it only took a few seconds for it to happen.
    I get that too. I'll look into it.

You're right. The plugins developers need to follow the main developers, not the reverse!

Maruno, can you implement to itens that are stoled by Thief and Covet (and maybe Trick and Knock Off) can be restored at the end of battle? It's not too hard, you only need to, when one item is stoled put it in one vector that have size 6 (for every pokémon slot) and restore them at the end of battle.

You're very good updating Essentials! I can't believe that you never release a game!
    Move effects will come as and when. I think it might be easier to have a variable attached to each battler, rather than a single array with 6 slots. I'll look into it when I get round to move effects, but no promises that it'll happen any time soon.

I've spent ages designing a Pokémon game before, and I've gotten pretty far with a major GUI overhaul. I've not made any actual maps, though, but I've got a story, dex lists and plenty of ideas floating around (several of which I'm now putting into Essentials). My own game is now on an indefinite hiatus. I didn't want to release anything until I'd gotten at least close to a demo, and I haven't gotten that far so I've never mentioned anything.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I don't get that, and I'm not sure why you do. Maybe you have too many events on your map?

I get the same issue with even 1 event on the map. Tried it on both laptops and both desktops and it does it on all of them. I would understand it happening on my netbook maybe, but not the other 3 computers... it is with the update before the current release.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2012
    Falcao Minimap Set and Pokemon Essentials

Hello i have a question.

I make a pokemon game and i will use the minimap from Falcao in my game. The Problem, i copy the scrip Falcao Minimap from Falcao Minimap to my Game, i started the game and theire are a error :( Can anybody help me to combinate the minimap in my pokemon game ?? Sorry for my bad english

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    Is this anything about hacks???
    No this isn't. I'm not gonna mini mod so that's all I'll say.

Maruno, should we expect up through the gen 4 abilities for the future or will there also be some gen 5 abilities too?

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I get the same issue with even 1 event on the map. Tried it on both laptops and both desktops and it does it on all of them. I would understand it happening on my netbook maybe, but not the other 3 computers... it is with the update before the current release.
    It probably still happens with the latest release, then, since I've not touched anything like that. I don't experience your problem, though, so I can't really do anything about it.

Hello i have a question.

I make a pokemon game and i will use the minimap from Falcao in my game. The Problem, i copy the scrip Falcao Minimap from Falcao Minimap to my Game, i started the game and theire are a error :( Can anybody help me to combinate the minimap in my pokemon game ?? Sorry for my bad english
    I don't know what Falcao is, so no. This isn't the correct thread for this question anyway.

No this isn't. I'm not gonna mini mod so that's all I'll say.

Maruno, should we expect up through the gen 4 abilities for the future or will there also be some gen 5 abilities too?
    You can expect all you want. There's no particular priority on including all this stuff, but I do want to include it all eventually. That is, all items/abilities/moves that exist in Gen 5 and earlier. It's just not as important as fixing the things that are actually wrong with Essentials, so there's no timeline for their inclusion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    @Maruno: Thanks for the reply. I figured that there wouldn't be a definite timeline for abilities to be completed. I didn't even know if 5th gen would be included concerning abilities, and I heard 5th gen moves are a maybe(good to hear that the plan is to eventually include them). 5th gen pokemon I heard are iffy to be icluded. You are right though stablizing the features in the kit should be first priority.

Last edited:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • I have a question:
    I'm using FL .'s "Choose an item from the bag" code, but I don't know what to do after that. Like, how do I get the game to record the result so I can use it in-game?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I want to take this opportunity to raise awareness of how Poccil is doing. As his website says, he is in need of donations to help with his financial situation, and I think it would be great if we could all help him out.

Poccil developed the Essentials kit and turned it into the most popular and most complete set of materials for creating a Pokémon-style game outside of ROM hacking there has ever been. This is a phenomenal thing to have done, and is all the more impressive when you consider that he did it for free.

Poccil's website is a fascinating read, and is still very useful to me, as it contains a lot of technical information about the Pokémon games which I use to improve Essentials even now. If Poccil gets into difficulties, one of the first casualties would be his website, and that would be a great loss to myself and to Essentials.

Please help Poccil out by donating a little bit of money. You can donate via PayPal following the link on his website. I know it would mean a lot to him to know that you guys remember what he has done for us all. He hasn't asked me to say this; he doesn't even know I'm saying this. I just think that he deserves a hand in his time of need.

Thank you.

@Maruno: Thanks for the reply. I figured that there wouldn't be a definite timeline for abilities to be completed. I didn't even know if 5th gen would be included concerning abilities, and I heard 5th gen moves are a maybe(good to hear that the plan is to eventually include them). 5th gen pokemon I heard are iffy to be icluded. You are right though stablizing the features in the kit should be first priority.
    Gen 5 moves should be included in the next update, actually. Not necessarily their effects, though, because most of them are complicated, and I would appreciate any help. I don't know when that update will be, though.

I have a question:
    I'm using FL .'s "Choose an item from the bag" code, but I don't know what to do after that. Like, how do I get the game to record the result so I can use it in-game?
    Why don't you ask FL? It's not a part of Essentials, so you won't get support for it here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back