• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are albums still popular?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Albums with a real album statement seem to be going back into trend with arching themes that make a album feel cohesive. On the other hand many albums still feel like a collection of songs rather than having a album statement (something which isn't help due to EDM going mainstream). I'd say that albums overall are still decreasing in popularity, mainly due to the advent of digital downloads and being able to 'cherry-pick' songs.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • In my country, lately most people are looking up at some popular songs as shown in the show which talks about the latest hits. Despite of that, albums are still popular too at some point.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I love getting albums! Maybe they're not as popular as they used to be, but I personally love to buy CDs or vinyls over singles or digital copies or streaming sites. I listen to an album online and if I really like it, I will eventually buy the physical copy. I think they're fun to collect and currently have 45 CDs and one vinyl (and plan to get more vinyls). I love the sensation of saying "I have this artist's album", it's gratifying. And getting to see and know the artist's personal story and art makes it better. I also go to the library at least bi-weekly and borrow albums I don't have yet or want to listen to. And I have a good amount of friends who still collect albums too so in my case, it's still a popular thing to do.

Last edited:

Jell

Hands off my numnums
    Years
  • I like albums for the fact that most of them tell a story of some sort while you listen to them. But overall I feel as though less and less people are appreciative of that and leave most of an album untouched outside of one or two songs.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • I much prefer albums to cherry-picked songs, mainly because a lot of the artists I listen to tend to focus on the overall feel of an album rather than individual songs (Radiohead, Deftones, Pink Floyd, Kanye West, etc.).

I don't get people who just listen to individual songs off an album.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I usually only listen to singles, but if I like an artist I'll download entire albums because most of the artists I listen to the albums flow together and tell a story better than could be told by listening to each song individually.

Back