• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are albums still popular?

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    I have been listening to entire albums for years, but all of my friends and acquaintances only listen to the occasional single or play pandora. I might be hanging around the wrong people (I went to a small school, there wasn't a huge variety of kids). It was kind of hard having to start conversations about music with others when they only know two songs from a particular artist. Does anyone else experience the same? Reading alot of forums online, there are so many people who listen to and discuss albums. Is it really an unpopular thing for most people to listen to albums?

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Uh, yup. I feel the same.
    Usually I talk about new albums (depending on the genre) with different friends or my boyfriend, but nowadays it isn't really normal. People prefer to listen two catchy songs in an endless cycle until a new comes out.

I don't think it makes me any harm, I just feel a little bit sad that people prefer to judge a book by its cover.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    I think it's just easier for people to find singles on the internet nowadays. If someone really likes that artist/band and wanna listen to more of them, they would check out their album. That's just my theory.

Years
    Some people may actually like the tracks that get less attention than the hits that are played commonly on the radio, which is why they may prefer a full album instead of a few singles. I wouldn't say it's unpopular, no.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't think it makes me any harm, I just feel a little bit sad that people prefer to judge a book by its cover.

How is it judging a book by its cover when you like one song by a band but choose not to listen to/don't like the rest of them?

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Statistically speaking, albums are losing popularity. In fact, no album has gone Platinum yet this year, so it seems that people are mostly buying single tracks. I think that the change in the way people access music accounts for this. It's a lot cheaper to buy a single song than an entire album, and we no longer have to buy the entire album for one song. Hence the loss in popularity of albums in general.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    How is it judging a book by its cover when you like one song by a band but choose not to listen to/don't like the rest of them?

It's like a reading only the chapter of the book you like and ignoring the rest. It doesn't make any harm, and no one will tell you if it's wrong. However you're missing part of the stuff.

Don't take it too literal anyway, books and music are clearly different stuff.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    One of my friend told me that I must try to listen to an album, bacause I was (like the majority) only shuffling in my ipod. But now I do listen to albums again :) and some of my friends too.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's like a reading only the chapter of the book you like and ignoring the rest. It doesn't make any harm, and no one will tell you if it's wrong. However you're missing part of the stuff.

Don't take it too literal anyway, books and music are clearly different stuff.

I'm just curious because...that's not what that idiom means at all. It's not about just liking part of something and ignoring the rest; it's about not liking something based on something superficial that doesn't dive into what it actually is. For example, saying "I don't like this album because the song titles are all too long." The idiom doesn't apply to liking part of something but not finishing it. o_O

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    This happens very often in pop music, I'd like to add.

I'm just curious because...that's not what that idiom means at all. It's not about just liking part of something and ignoring the rest; it's about not liking something based on something superficial that doesn't dive into what it actually is. For example, saying "I don't like this album because the song titles are all too long." The idiom doesn't apply to liking part of something but not finishing it. o_O

Whatever dude, I'm not here to discuss idioms. I think it was clear, if it wasn't I'm sorry.

/Thread.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've ALWAYS been an albums person. I hate having single songs in my library. I love listening to albums from start to finish.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've ALWAYS been an albums person. I hate having single songs in my library. I love listening to albums from start to finish.

I'm curious - what do you do when you like some songs in an album but not all of them? Listen to them until they grow on you or just not listen to the songs you like?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm curious - what do you do when you like some songs in an album but not all of them? Listen to them until they grow on you or just not listen to the songs you like?

I do that sometimes. Other times, I just can't get into them and I just listen to them less regularly compared to other songs on the album. Occasionally, I'll skip the song if I'm listening to the album in full. But they'll never be my go-to songs when I'm listening to an album.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    I almost exclusively listen to full albums unless I'm listening to the radio or don't have time or can't think of what to listen to. there are so, so, so many albums that I really want to hear as well. I can't imagine only listening to a couple songs from every artist I come across. if I hear a song that I like from an artist I haven't heard an album from, I'll check the album out.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    You'll find a lot of music fans listening to full albums. You'll also find that a good portion of them don't buy them, and that a good portion of them listen to music from previous years. Current pop music sales figures aren't representative of what people actually listen to.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
    Some albums are a collection of songs, others are albums ;o

I listen to albums that I legitimately like as a whole, like Hybrid Theory, where I like every single song

I appreciate concept albums, but sadly, those are a dying art in pop music

Poki

Banned
    Years
    I have a collection of my favourite bands' discographies saved in my laptop, so I tend to listen to entire albums at home. I only send the songs I like the most to my phone, tho.

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
    They aren't as popular but vinyl has been growing in recent years. Most people who listen to albums par a rare few are really into non mainstream music.

Years
    I believe that most people listen to singles nowadays, especially with sites like Spotify and Pandora getting so much use. It's a shame because an album all together is such a beautiful thing, and they usually tell a story giving a greater impact when you listen to them together.

Back