• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are any of you worried about dying?

Outlier

Hopefully death is far away from all of us but it is going to happen. Now I think our beliefs play a huge factor in how we generally view death. Whether you believe in an afterlife of some kind or that we simply cease to exist (at least in any type of conscious sense) once we die, we all have our beliefs. So I ask the atheists, the religious, the agnostic and anyone else I'm leaving out; Are you afraid to die, even if just a little, or are you completely at peace with death once it comes?

Now as morbid as this topic may be I don't think you have to be on your deathbed to answer this question. We all think about death from time to time. No matter what we think is going to happen none of us actually know for sure, and that's what terrifies me to be honest. For example I'm not religious in the slightest but sometimes I truly fear that one of the religions have had it right all along and that I will be made to suffer for eternity in hell.

Now I also imagine there are religious people who have contemplated and worried that there may be no God or that that their religion might not be "right" for lack of a better word.

Even if it's only a slight doubt that creeps into our minds every now and then, it's bound to happen to people more than they care to admit. Regardless of what side of the spectrum you're on.

Whatever you believe or don't believe in, are you afraid of dying? And for what reasons? Are you always 100% confident that what you believe will happen once you die, will actually end up happening? Again you can't know for sure is all I'm saying.

Outlier

Thanks for sharing Quinn. You don't seem afraid to die at all but do your beliefs play any part in this? Or are you willing to accept whatever happens.

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
    Years
    I have beliefs that i am 100% sure on, however that is not the reason i am calm towards death. When you see some one die in front of you, you get confused, feels like they took something from you when they go, eventually there is nothing left to take and then you feel nothing for death is something you live with. Not only are you prepared to die, you are also prepared for others to die around you.

Outlier

Thanatophobia is irrational in my opinion.
    Worrying about something that will inevitably come is a waste of neurons.
    And what death is...? Complete failure of anatomic physiology.

If you think there's a possibility that the way you live your life could effect your afterlife (if there even is one) is more than enough reason to question your beliefs in my opinion. Besides I'm not not contemplating this sort of thing 24/7. But it definitely crosses my mind sometimes.

*edit* And vice versa if you're religious I think it's reasonable to question the possibility that you could be worshiping a God that doesn't exist ect.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Having faced death down head on before, I can easily say that I don't fear Death.

However I do not welcome Death with open arms either, I've got things I'd like to do before I die again thank you very much.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm not afraid to die, but I am afraid of the actual act of dying. I try holding my breath from time to time, and I can barely last a minute. I can't imagine drawing my last breath. Does it feel like suffocation, even if you didn't die from suffocation? Is it painful? Does your self conscious just slip away?

Years
    I'm kinda more worried about someone wanting to kill me rather than dying naturally.. but I really do hope to live life for a long time, so I guess I could say I'm not quite worried about it at this time, especially considering that I don't have any conditions or diseases that could be fatal to me for the time being.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    Am I the only one scared of dying here? I mean, I don't like the idea of immortality nor eternal life either, but death is still pretty scary since we have no idea what's on the other side, if there is such side.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Death is inevitable. We're all going to die one day.

I know it sounded kinda creepy. Sorry, but not sorry.

Why be scared of something that we're all going to face?

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Mentally, I'm not afraid. I try to live my life the best I can according to my values, and know it's coming eventually so I don't think about it much.

On an instinctive level? We're all going to be afraid when faced with it. It's part of nature. Even if you guys have yourselves convinced you've "faced" death, the fact of the matter is you actually haven't, because you either die or you don't. There is no "almost died" or state of "dying" IMO, you just go from alive --> dead in one transitional moment and you will never know when that is.

We can try to suppress our instinct to be scared but it's innate. It's not cool to deny it or shameful to admit it.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Worrying about something that will inevitably come is a waste of neurons.
    Why be scared of something that we're all going to face?

To be honest, STOP using this argument. It isn't valid of a reason at all :/ Haven't you ever been scared of doing a report in front of the class that you know yourself that you are going to do? This is the same thing except it cannot be comprehensively prepared for. You can convince yourself that you are not afraid to die, but you don't really want to--you'd actually rather be alive than be a rotting corpse.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    To be honest, STOP using this argument. It isn't valid of a reason at all :/ Haven't you ever been scared of doing a report in front of the class that you know yourself that you are going to do? This is the same thing except it cannot be comprehensively prepared for. You can convince yourself that you are not afraid to die, but you don't really want to--you'd actually rather be alive than be a rotting corpse.
    It is valid in my case. What if I told you that not everyone's afraid of something you are?

Nope, I haven't, honestly.

And nah, let's not ruin Introvert's thread and turn it into some crappy debate.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Not really. I'll die when I die. Admittedly, though, religion plays a big role in my lack of fear. Life is enjoyable and all, but not forever, so I'm actually glad that I'll die eventually.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
    I'd love to say that I'm brave in the face of the inevitable, but I'm not, Of course I have thought about it a lot, just when little things happen, like the death of a relative (close or long-lost) or when a pet dies; I agree you become more accustomed it the more you experience it directly, but I don't think myself or anybody will actually willingly welcome death, it takes a very strong person to do that as well I think, which unfortunately is not me.

As for my beliefs atm I'm agnostic, I'm skeptical in believing that there's an afterlife, although I'd like to have faith that everybody goes to a happier place and life is just the start, it is difficult to imagine what that afterlife could possibly be. One of the reasons I don't understand it, is because of the separation between heaven and hell. Heaven is supposed to be a place of eternal happiness, but one how can it be happy for everybody, and what it one person goes to heaven but there son or sister or father goes to hell? how are they supposed to live in eternal happiness then? Idk it just confuses me.

I'd say overall though I find the idea of a God more believable, whether they are still around now or not, the idea of an afterlife less believable, and I wouldn't say that I'm scared of death, just worried.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    It is valid in my case. What if I told you that not everyone's afraid of something you are?
    Curious. You must have little emotion, do you? You'd rather be dead than be alive? Really curious. Anyway, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

And nah, let's not ruin Introvert's thread and turn it into some crappy debate.
    It isn't crappy, nor is it a debate. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm just saying my opinion.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Curious. You must have little emotion, do you? You'd rather be dead than be alive? Really curious. Anyway, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

It isn't crappy, nor is it a debate. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm just saying my opinion.
    That's not what I meant. I enjoy my life very much, but I'm not gonna be scared of death.

Just saying mine, as well.

Back