• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there any Pokemon whose type doesn't fit them?

Years
    Empoleon's steel type doesn't really make sense in my opinion..

Let's take a look...
    Spoiler:

Let's see... It looks like there's some blue steel at the end of his wings on on his stomach. Is that a metal fin/tail/spike sticking out behind him? Maybe that crest on his head is metal too...

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    Sudowoodo is just rock that looks like a tree with probobly moss on the balls with makes it look like a tree!

Years
    I agree with Palkia, Lugia and Sudowoodo - they're all badly typed imo.
    Gyrados can't be Dragon or it'd be farrrrr too good!
    :)

Sudowoodo- It's typing matches its name. Sudo comes from "Pseudo", meaning fake. Woodo is wood, obviously. So the name means "Looks like wood, but it's not." Thus it makes sense. Is Sudowoodo strange in itself? Maybe. EDIT: Arrgh, ninja'd! Oh well.

Palkia - I like the dragon typing, but not water. Should've been somthing like Dragon/Psychic IMO. But, STAB water is very useful, so I wouldn't want to change it, anyway.

Lugia- Think of it this way: Lugia doesn't really govern only water(I assume that's what you think it should be). It has a more universal power over everything (controls the 3 birds in the movie, whirlwinds, massive destructive power). Also, several times, most notably the cutscene in HGSS, its eyes glow blue, just like when Mewtwo uses its psychic powers (kinda the recognizable trait of psychic pokemon. Alakazam does it, too). Granted, it does live underwater, but the gold dex says it's because "its powers are too strong." It is "the guardian of the seas", not really the embodiment of it. Personally, it's typing makes it unique (except for the Xatu line, lawl), so I really like it.

The only pokemon I have a problem with are Azuril. Normal? I mean, maybe it's because its young and doesn't exhibit its typing until it evolves, but then what about Magby? Elekid? Pichu? Very strange.....

Years
    Does everyone think Gyarados is a dragon?
    I always saw it as a sea serpent.. maybe even a sea 'monster'.. but never a dragon.
    Flying.. I dunno, maybe it was suposed to be a sea spirit.. so it's more air than flying.. like.. spiritualish.

Dragon is never the word I'd use for it though.

And Sceptile? That's nothing like a dragon.. just a big reptile. Mutated leaf tailed gecko. Not a dragon.

I agree with Azurill, it should be water.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'd hate to neglect mention of the legends about how carp can become dragons once climbing a waterfall in oriental legends. That's where the appearance came from. Asian dragons. Which could fly. But, water type seems more reasonable to me, and they need to stock their fishin' holes somehow.

Years
    I'm going to go with Gyarados here. I know everybody else has already mentioned it, but it shouldn't be a flying type, it should be water and dragon. Also changing Drapion would be a good idea because bug would be far more suitable than dark-type for it.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Yeah, 'cos at the moment it's compltely useless.
    Silly you, just because is useful, doesn't mean that it can't be more useful. It will take care of that pesky 4x weakness to the fastest type in the game(on average) and give it some more toys to play with. And it doesn't even learn fly despite it being a flying type, which makes about as much sense as a psychic type not being able to learn psychic.
    Palkia makes sense to me. It's the mascot of Pokemon Pearl. It's got pearls in the shoulders. Pearls, oysters, ocean, water. Makes sense.
    And? Diamonds aren't made out of steel, and they are barely related. The only thing that I can recall them being related is that they are made through high amounts of heat and pressure. And even then Dialga would be much better as a rock type, considering a diamond is essentially a rock, albeit a stronger and shinier one.
    The Gastly family are made of gas, that's where the poison type comes from.

They also have attributes of dangerous gases, especially since they have the ability to kill an Indian elephant with little effort, according to the Pokedex.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Silly you, just because is useful, doesn't mean that it can't be more useful. It will take care of that pesky 4x weakness to the fastest type in the game(on average) and give it some more toys to play with. And it doesn't even learn fly despite it being a flying type, which makes about as much sense as a psychic type not being able to learn psychic.

If it was any more useful it would be an Uber. Gyarados can already outpace many electric types, even ignoring inevitable Dragon Dance boosts, and OHKO them with Earthquake. And no, it cannot learn fly, and neither can 21 other flying-type Pokemon. Do you think they should all have their types changed as well?

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    Palkia makes sense to me. It's the mascot of Pokemon Pearl. It's got pearls in the shoulders. Pearls, oysters, ocean, water. Makes sense.

^I agree.

I think Lucario's typing doesn't fit. I mean, it would make sense that he's fighting, but I think Psychic type would've made more sense than Steel type. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Back