• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are they getting more or less creative with Pokemon names?

Do nintendo need to work on creativity?

• Yes

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters

Oshawott01

Awesome Oshawotter
Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2012
    I have looked at the list of Pokemon and some of them seem to be a lot less creative then the older ones.

In B&W the whole Zubat, Woobat thing was just annoying cos that was not creative at all.

One of the names that annoys me most is Hoothoot, I mean it's like a baby name! Gosh I can see it on a kids show and it reminds me of Giggle and Hoot!
    I hate it so much!

Anyway whats your opinion!

Years
  • I don't see anything wrong with the names. If anything, first generation names were ridiculous. I mean Hitmonchan? Kanghaskhan? But overall I don't have a problem with any of the names. There are some pretty interesting ones.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Woobat wasn't named after Zubat, though. Their English names just coincidentally sound similar.
    Bulbapedia said:
    "Zubat may be a pun based on both bat and ずばっと (zubatto), an onomatopoeia for when an edged tool forcefully pierces something (possibly referring to its fangs or the sound a bat makes)."
    Bulbapedia said:
    "Woobat may be a combination of woo and bat. It may also involve wool from its woolly appearance."

Some of the BW names strike me as especially uninventive, like Klink's evolution line or Sawk/Throh. But, then, there's also names like Whimsicott and Scolipede sitting around, which are as good as names from earlier generations. So I'm not really all that bothered.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I think that the names are fine. Sometimes they can be weird (There's a Foongus Amoongus), but they haven't really gotten any worse.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Bah, it's fine. Sure, they have stupid names like Trubbish or Garbodor, but hey, in their defense, they were going to name Koffing and Weezing Ny and La. Sure, Koffing and Weezing are tons better, but you have to admit, it still sounds ridiculous.

So nostalgia yeah

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I think they're fine but yeah Hitmonchan? Really? Hit. Monster. It's based off Jackie Chan.

And Hit. Monster. Lee. From Bulbapedia, perhaps meaning "the monster that hits like Bruce Lee". Really? Anyway how would it be to have a pokemon named after you lol.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2016
    The names are so inventive but actually not inventive at the same time, its just how you look at them. How much thought you put into the names, usually its just two words combined together.
    Vanilite = Vanilla and Ice.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
    Years

• And Hit. Monster. Lee. From Bulbapedia, perhaps meaning "the monster that hits like Bruce Lee". Really? Anyway how would it be to have a pokemon named after you lol.
    I know right but anyways. @ Hayley You prove a good point

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • I agree that Nintendo needs to work on creativity, but the names aren't the problem. I'd personally like more of a deeper story and more character interaction.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Well grant them credit for creating and naming 649 Pokémon, it's a hard task and creating names is going to be more tedious and limited as the number increases.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Actually, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee have multiple ways to translate for funny phrases.

My favorite Hit my Chin (Boxing Pokemon they aim for the face, a good blow to the chin staggers and can even throw people off balance as there is a core nerve that gets majority of the attack when you uppercut someone on the chin.) and Hit my Knee (kicking, can't pin point the origin of the style, kick boxing or Muy Tai, either way common tactic when using a Kicking style Martial art is to aim for the knee to cripple movement and lower opponent's defense)

Only Hitmontop doesn't really play well with word play like that XD

Gen 1 had pretty unoriginal names too. Mr. Mime...a Mime based Pokemon. Golem...Living stone creature. Geodude...mutation of Geode. Ninetales...Nine tails on the fox. Gastly...Gas ball ghost that's just ghastly. Abra Kadabra Alakazam... "MAGIC"

Lickitung? Not even going there >.<

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    There have always been some rather poorly name Pokemon. Mr. Mime? Mime Pokemon. Ninetails? Fox with nine tails. Mew? Cat like Pokemon. Porygon? Electronic Pokemon.

There are also some rather stupid names from later gen Pokemon. Roggenrola? Sounds more like a breakfast cereal.

Actually, I think that the names for Pokemon have progressively gotten better other time.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Well grant them credit for creating and naming 649 Pokémon, it's a hard task and creating names is going to be more tedious and limited as the number increases.
    Most of the English language names are a damn sight better than ones that I'd ever be able to come up with, so I'd side with Nintendo on this one. To be honest, I find most of them fairly creative in their name composition. Indeed, the ones whose origins I don't know instantly often have interesting backstories behind their names, which makes discovering them all the more satisfying.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    As soon as I started seeing names like Roggenrola and Deino I've gotta say they've gotten worse over time imo.

Meru

Pickle Barrel
    Years
  • Eh, I think it's fine. It doesn't really bother me much.
    I'm more focused on the gameplay then on the creativity of a Pokemon's name to be honest. But, yeah some do sound odd or not so great.

Years
  • I don't get how people can dislike the name Roggenrola, I think it's pretty original and creative. Names are getting more creative and complex for sure.

Back