• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are they getting more or less creative with Pokemon names?

Do nintendo need to work on creativity?

• Yes

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • As said above, until we see the next Gen of Pokemon we will see how they are doing, I mean Unova had some bad names and designs here and there, but so does every region and Generation :P
    The Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan thing made me laugh xD never realized that, Pokemon and their facts and insights keep surprising me everyday :P

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Meh, the naming of Pokémon has its up and downs. I feel like its the same as with the designs, each generation has good names as well as bad names, but as already mentioned, it's getting harder to come up with names with each new Pokémon, so honestly, they're doing a pretty good job when they're still able to come with decent names.

Oshawott01

Awesome Oshawotter
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2012
    I never had anything against them! Seriously they are creative and I actually love the name Roggenrolla (its awesome!) But they have funny names and that's what we are talking about in this discussion so don't go psycho on me and say THEIR CREATIVE AAAH! Just remember I never said their not creative.

razorraron

Master Trainer
    Years
  • Im pretty sure they will never have creative names again, like they did back in the older versions (red, gold, sapphire, ETC) but would I love them if they started up good names again, of course. No more naming pokemon :P

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Honestly I think each generation has it's ups and down, and that includes the names of Pokemon.

Like others have said, 1st gen has some pretty bad names, but so does gens 2 to 5. It's not easy naming 649 imaginary creatures. And as more are thought up it's gonna get harder.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    They don't have many nonsensical names in my opinion. And a major part of Pokémon names are just a combination of two or more names, corresponding their physical or mental features and appearance(s). The thing is, they should have made them more separate so that we don't detect the combination of words easily. So, you have a point there.

Pika-D

<(*ΦωΦ*)>
    Years
  • The names are fine to me. Besides, once you have a Pokemon, you can always rename it to whatever you want.

You have to think for a second. There are over 600 Pokemon that have been created. As the number gets higher, it gets harder to come up with names, appearances, and new abilities.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I will admit that some new names are silly and plain, but I feel that gen 1 had far more "uncreative" names than any of the newer gens. Seel, Dewgong, Voltorb, Kangaskhan (I mean really why), Mew, Mewtwo, Persian, and others come to mind.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I wouldn't be able to name that many pokemon so I would have to say almost all the names are fine. I wonder if game freak employees ever come on these sites and check out their fan's feedback and ideas. Sorry if that's too off topic.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    Ekans.

HAHA. SNAKE BACKWARDS. HAHA. THE ORIGINALITY IS IS ESSENTIALLY OOZING OUT.

Influential_Mew

EeVee Trainer
    Years
  • There have always been some rather poorly name Pokemon. Mr. Mime? Mime Pokemon. Ninetails? Fox with nine tails. Mew? Cat like Pokemon. Porygon? Electronic Pokemon.

There are also some rather stupid names from later gen Pokemon. Roggenrola? Sounds more like a breakfast cereal.

Actually, I think that the names for Pokemon have progressively gotten better other time.

Wait! Hold on a second! There's nothing wrong with any of the names you mentioned above. Ninetails is a very catchy name, and Mew is fine the way it is. What other names could you possibly think of for them? I doubt you can do any better. I also find it ironic that your avatar is of Porygon's evolution, yet you hate its name.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • But catchy is not the point here. It's a very uninspired name in nature, but even so with all its suckiness, it seems to do well. Same goes for Gen V.

SD.

B E N N I N G T O N
    Years
  • to answer the title question of this topic

yes.
    as well with the looks of pokemon

obviously thats because they made so many... they ran out of ideas
    which you actually can't really blame them

its a good thing they keep going on and on
    i LOVE pokemon you know

but just compared the episodes from the first few seasons with the ones you got on now.... ehm yeah guys
    you better hire some real pokemon fans in to make better episodes
    because the black and white ones are just lame... D:​

R a c h e l

Formerly Sapphiress
    Years
  • Each generation has its cool names and its uncreative names! Gotta love Ekans and Arbok though, I always thought they were good idea :P
    I do like the starters from the latest generation thought - Snivy, Servine and Serperior are great, as are Tepig, Pignite and Emboar imo, although Oshawott seems a bit odd. I understand the Otter bit but err, that's about it!
    I liked the pan/simi monkeys as well! Especially since Pan is a the chimpanzee genus, and Simi like Simian, monkey/ape-like. Subtle and creative!

Litwick just makes me think of this guy...

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
    Years
  • Some names are like "What?" like someone mentioned the Klink and Klang. Also, one of the most adorable/creative ones I've seen are Foongus and Amoongus. I didn't get the pun until my best friend pointed it out. There's a Foongus Amoongus [I see someone on here pointed that out! ^_^ ] Another name I love is Bouffalant. That one cracks me up so much. Bouffant and buffalo. Hehe.

I don't think the problem is the names so much, but rather the design of Pokemon. Yes, there are some that are inventive and original and different from the first generation. However, there are so many evolutions and pre-evolutions to the first and 2nd generation Pokemon. That is what is annoying to me.

Back