• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you an atheist?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Protestant Christian here. I affiliate most with Assemblies of God and Baptist, but I consider my philosophies specifically mine. I don't accept things without being sure they make sense to me personally, and I'm comfortable disagreeing with certain beliefs those groups have. I think that's a healthy attitude.

Luck said:
    I won't repeat myself yet another time when no good will come of it.

Also a healthy attitude. And dang you for stealing first-of-page.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Honestly, I don't know what to believe in. I can't find the flaws every where. I would like to believe that there might be some magical man in the sky, it just ins't supported by evidence. Neither is any the science theories really.

So, I guess you could say that I am an Athiest.

It is not that I don't believe in him, it is just that I need proof. I can't touch him, smell him, hear him, taste him, see him, or anything else. So, yeah.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I am an atheist. I personally find religion absurd, irrational and obsolete. Its something about a being about an all-powerful being that sees all, created all and has power over all that doesn't make sense to me. I also find religion to hypocritical, vile and very logically flawed. Im sorry to offend anyone, its just my opinion.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I am a semi-igtheistic, agnostic, panprotoexperientialistic, henotheistic, henophysitistic, pantheistic, skeptically holistic protestant Lutheran, if it means anything to you. ;3

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
    Umm... then ur not really atheist.........Ur Agnostic....
    Meaning you dont believe in any particular religion...
    No, he's an atheist because he doesn't believe in a deity, but still of a religion. Buddhists have a religion but are atheist. It's a religion without a god. It's not impossible. <=/

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    [FONT=&quot]
    Umm... then ur not really atheist.........Ur Agnostic....
    Meaning you dont believe in any particular religion...
    Wait what? She's religious, yet she doesn't believe in any religion? 8S
    Agnosticism (not necessarily religious, by the way) is actually the belief that certain questions cannot be answered with certainty. I'm a religiously agnostic theist. Id est, I am agnostic and religious at the same time. Not impossible. D:

She is a nontheist.
    [/FONT]

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    [FONT=&quot]
    Wait what? She's religious, yet she doesn't believe in any religion? 8S
    Agnosticism (not necessarily religious, by the way) is actually the belief that certain questions cannot be answered with certainty. I'm a religiously agnostic theist. Id est, I am agnostic and religious at the same time. Not impossible. D:

She is a nontheist.
    [/FONT]

Just pointing out, its not nontheist, its atheist

Sneg

Lady Gaga
    Years
    I don't know.

It's better to believe than to not believe, this is because the believer gets all in the end if God exists, but if you don't really care and God ends up not existing, you loose nothing.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    -__-"" Yes, we've already figured that out. And I've been thinking about that. And it still holds a relevant point. But I won't get into that now.

Goat, when I looked up "semi-igtheistic" on Google, this topic was the top result. =P

Why do people think that others generally adopt religion on the basis of our parents? Many faithful people I know come from atheistic families, or turned from it early on because they "realized it was stupid", and then returned.

It's just too far against the odds for everything to be orderless. I've seen far too many... uncanny things happen to too many people too many times to think existence is entirely unstructured and without an overseer.

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
    Why do people think that others generally adopt religion on the basis of our parents?
    Because it's an easy way for non-believers to rationalize the majority of people being believers. If everyone but the minority of enlightened atheists is a brainwashed zombie then they're almost of a higher intellectual standing. You see yourself from a few of the posts here the words used to describe faith- absurd, irrational, obsolete, hypocritical, vile, very logically flawed, fairy tales, et al.

I know the child indoctrination point certainly doesn't apply to me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Why do people think that others generally adopt religion on the basis of our parents?
    Because no religion wouldn't last long at all if a younger audience wasn't targeted. Infants are not only more gullible, but they also believe that their parents are near infallible. Why do children get baptised much more than adults? I honestly doubt 6 and 10 year olds are capable of such philosophical thinking on that big of a scale.

It's just too far against the odds for everything to be orderless. I've seen far too many... uncanny things happen to too many people too many times to think existence is entirely unstructured and without an overseer.

Other people see things differently. Complexity≠Creation, or at least to me.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Goat, when I looked up "semi-igtheistic" on Google, this topic was the top result. =P
    Spoiler:
    Where did you see that? :S I got my own post when I searched.
    :3

No, I meant the term for the opposite of a theist (believes in God) is called an atheists, not nontheist.
    I can't tell if you don't know the word "nontheist" and are implying I'm not familiar with the term "atheist", or if you are saying something separate completely, so I'll just say that, within my knowledge, nontheism is an ideology that includes atheism.
    :3 So the term is not incorrect.

Other people see things differently. Complexity≠Creation, or at least to me.
    Ever heard of pantheism? :P

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I'm a firm Muslim, and nothing can shake my faith. I was a Muslim since birth, and I will always be one, no matter what. There is no faith alternative to Islam that I believe is 100% true.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    I believe what I want; science bores me.
    To that end I am a magickal Shinto apatheist.

You said it yourself best in this post:

a god? if there is one it's nothing to do with me
    a faith? only in myself
    a religion? i don't need, want or have one
    a destiny? life is the present, memories are the past, mysteries are the future
    a reason? a star explodes, the pieces form planets and new stars, which by chance could grow life, and our star (the sun) will die someday...
    and me? i'm just an entity of carbon based life, a mere fruit of nature

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74338&page=2

I made another thread based on that post more than 3 years ago...

https://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=1605590

(I got banned on that forum for talking about Paul Ehrlich and the Mexico City Policy a year ago)

Back