• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you an atheist?

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    I'm not an atheist.
    I used to be, and understand it fully.
    I'm a pagan, primarily.
    No, I'm not a Wiccan.

I follow an idiosyncratic path.

And I like it that way.

Someone on the first page asked why we didn't have a controversial debate forum for stuff like this, and I assume wished for an answer. Well, here it is: we did. We had one of those a few years ago, called the T-Dome. I'm one of the few people on this site old enough to remember this. In short, it was a good premise that immature people devolved into nothing but stupid pre-adolescent sexuality and bickering.

Until people learn how to be mature, you can forget about that coming back, I'd say.
    So you can forget about it coming back ever.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2009
    Just for the record, in relation to the opening post: not believing in Jesus doesn't make you an atheist, it just means that you're any religion other than Christian. Or Messianic Judaism.

I'm Christian. I was raised Roman Catholic but I think my current practices/beliefs are more Methodist than Roman Catholic. I don't go to church either, but I feel that religion is a private matter that we don't have to critique each other on it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Not only the sheer ridiculousness of faith (which is, by definition, belief without evidence), but all the atrocious acts committed by religious groups are what made not only an atheist, but an anti-theist as well.
    This.
    I was not brought up in a religious family and I was not brought up in an anti-religious family, I was not taught about any form of religion until I was around 10 years old, by that age I could think for myself and decided that it was something that I held no interest or belief in. It seems silly to me really, an obscure attempt to justify one's existence or explain things that happen throughout the world. I'm not sure why people are captivated by it.
    It's been prominent throughout history so has managed to survive up until now, but more people are declaring themselves atheist in the modern world (in this country anyway) so I can only (hope to) see it beggining to subside throughout the UK and perhaps Europe in the future.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I think the main problem with this is that if you want to join a religion so you don't go to hell if there turns out to be one, then which religion do you choose, I mean there are thousands, probably millions of them out there that say if you don't follow theirs you will be condemned to eternal damnation. The possibility is so low that you pick the right one that you may as well not even bother. In my opinion anyways.

Even though there are so many different religions to choose from there are things you can do to exclude what is obviously wrong from what there is. Internal consistency, external consistency, and moral logic all bring down choices dramatically.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Don't really believe in God and Jesus at all, funny enough Catholic school kinda did that to me by saying that the christian holidays were all based around Paegan holidays XD

But I wouldn't call myself an athiest I don't think.

Jijaba

I may seem dark,but I`m nice!
    Years
    Yes,I beleive I`m an atheist.
    I see no evidence of being a god or jesus,or some senior citizen gathering up two of EVERY animal in the entire world and putting them on a boat.If he could,it would take too long.It`s common logic.
    If there is a god I just didn`t see any evidence.No signs,nothing from the sky.And explain space.If there was a god he would have to deal with space.Heaven (if there was one)probably has oxygen,but space has none.
    And yes this is weird but,I am an atheist that believes in the after-life.I also believe in ghosts,sasquatch,loch ness monster,and all that.
    So yes I`m pretty sure I`m atheist.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Even though there are so many different religions to choose from there are things you can do to exclude what is obviously wrong from what there is. Internal consistency, external consistency, and moral logic all bring down choices dramatically.

You also have to keep in mind the idea of a individual perspective. Even for the major religions, being taught it while growing will cause it to seem to make more sense and be more plausible than the usually more reasonable, outside logical analysis of it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    I've been one for a long time, I didn't believe anything. but right now I'm mroe religious since my girlfriend goes to church and all that.
    I really belive in God now =D

Shedinja8

Niger, atrum vel malum. Sumo.
    Years
    I think at heart I am Christian, but I don't follow everything the bible. Not to mention I disagree with a lot of it too. It teachs good lessons it does, but people just sometimes get to obsessed with religion...

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    I am a true atheist. many people who call themselves aethoiest are in fact agnostics who would believe if the evidence prooved that god exsisted. I however, would still refuse to worship such a malicious and cruel entity.

Years
    I would count myself as an atheist. Yet unlike a lot of atheists I really don't care of religion. Yet a lot of atheists hate it which I can understand. But an "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". Sometimes I am heckled for my beliefs (even by teachers >.>). But whatever...

More like apatheism, really. Unless you categorically believe that God does not exist.

well to say the least i dont fully utterly believe in the bible no not at all in the least but i do believe that there is something, couldnt anywhere near tell you what, but there is something out there that is "immortal" so to speak if you will.

If you're interested in putting a name to your belief, I believe ietsism covers you nicely. :3

even the other RE teachers are atheist.

You don't have to be religious to teach religious education/studies.

i am not an athesist because i beleive that theres a heaven and hell

Atheism is the rejection of God's existence, not a belief in heaven and hell.

Personally i have no faith in any religion

Imo its just a waste of time.

So i guess technically i am an atheist

That's more like irreligion, really, bordering into apatheism. Atheism is the categorical denial of God's existence, and neither apathy towards religion nor a lack of faith will necessarily infer atheism.

I am a true atheist. many people who call themselves aethoiest are in fact agnostics who would believe if the evidence prooved that god exsisted. I however, would still refuse to worship such a malicious and cruel entity.

If evidence proved that God existed (and I mean proved here, not provided evidence - actual, living, breathing proof) then it would be impossible to not believe in His existence. Therefore, atheism would be impossible; it'd be like refusing to believe in the existence of an everyday item. Like cheese, or something. In that case, your position would be one that refuses to acknowledge God - that would be misotheism, if my knowledge of religious viewpoints is correct. The concepts of theism and atheism would be invalid in such a time, as it would be mad to believe God does not exist and redundant to believe that He does exist. Also, while I do agree with your observation about many self-professed atheists being nearer to agnosticism, it works both ways. A lot of people think "ooh, 'agnosticism' is a fancy word, I'll be that" despite the fact that they believe God cannot exist.

I explained my agnosticism here, so most of that applies in this topic also. :3

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I dont believe in God or the entire concept of gods. It seems way too priimitive and exactly the same as acient civilization practicing rituals and sacrifices for th Sun God and such. Its easier to believe in aliens than God. I just dont trust basing my lifes choices on what people tell you and what you dont know is true. Its brain washing and ignorance in my opinion but I respect those who do believe in religions. And also, I hate it when people call themselves or consider themeselves a devil worshipper and dont beleive in God when if you believe in Satan then you believe in God. :/ Its all just as real as fairy tales to me...

The Cynic

Years
    If evidence proved that God existed (and I mean proved here, not provided evidence - actual, living, breathing proof) then it would be impossible to not believe in His existence. Therefore, atheism would be impossible; it'd be like refusing to believe in the existence of an everyday item. Like cheese, or something. In that case, your position would be one that refuses to acknowledge God - that would be misotheism, if my knowledge of religious viewpoints is correct. The concepts of theism and atheism would be invalid in such a time, as it would be mad to believe God does not exist and redundant to believe that He does exist. Also, while I do agree with your observation about many self-professed atheists being nearer to agnosticism, it works both ways. A lot of people think "ooh, 'agnosticism' is a fancy word, I'll be that" despite the fact that they believe God cannot exist.

Yes, but what im say is that even if god exsisted I'd not worship him due to a general dislike of him. I mean surely you shouldnt burden people with disabilities and how can the devil/sin exsist if god is omnipotent/omniscient, surely he could just vanquish sin completely? I guess you could call me a dysteleologist.

Last edited:
    Years
    Yes, but what im say is that even if god exsisted I'd not worship him due to a general dislike of him. I mean surely you shouldnt burden people with disabilities and how can the devil/sin exsist if god is omnipotent/omniscient, surely he could just vanquish sin completely? I guess you could call me a dysteleologist.

I'm not questioning your atheism - I'm just saying that if it was conclusively proved to everyone in the world that God existed, the notions of theism and atheism (and everything in between) would be completely destroyed. Atheism is purely the belief that God does not exist; if he did exist, it would be delusional to even suggest that you believe otherwise. My point wasn't to start a debate about God's existence. Believe me, it's been done a hundred times on these forums alone, and all that happens is the hardcore atheists childishly insult those who believe in religion ("fairy tales" is a common word I see used - clearly such people are incapable of showing even an ounce of respect to their peers), while the fundamentalists tell them they're going to Hell/Gehenna/Jahannam/whatever. It's stupid, it's pointless, and it can only end badly. My remark was nearly throwaway, really - your post just seemed to infer that you would remain atheistic even if you had conclusive proof of God. Everyone would be theist, technically, but it'd be a moot point. New terms would presumably arise; I guess 'antiestablishmentarianism' would be the closest equivalent we have now (antitheism carries different connotations).

But really, we shouldn't be talking so much on what was simply a small point. xD;

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I could get into quite the lengthy explanation of aforementioned points, but I won't now. What I will say is this.

If evidence proved that God existed, then it would be impossible to not believe in His existence. Therefore, atheism would be impossible; it'd be like refusing to believe in the existence of an everyday item. Like cheese, or something.

You say "impossible"... Objectivity, espcially when combined with irrationality is a powerful influence. How many people do you think would, realistically, even with so much proof in a specific god, would desert what they have been taught and held to as truth for so much time? Not to make this a big fat hairy deal, but think about it. All of you.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Can't say I am. Atheism doesn't necesarily cut it for me but I personally feel that if they had proven that a divine being cannot exist with definitive scientific evidence, then I wouldn't mind switching over.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    You don't have to be religious to teach religious education/studies.

I know... what's your point? I was just replying to someone else's post about his teachers teasing him about his atheism.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Seems like someone was epically confused.

I think personally it's wrong to criticize others either way when it comes to personal beliefs, since it is something so personal, but then again, many people are taught that "what they believe in is right" (which, to be honest, I don't believe anything we currently have is 100% "right" due to bias and self intrest), which is one of the reasons I really hate religious debates. Atheists are just as much to blame for arrogance as any zealous Christian, Muslim, Jew, or anything else for that matter. Religion (or lack of it) is a part of your personal definition, and telling someone is "wholesomely wrong" is attempting to change that definition, change their identity. :p

The Cynic

Years
    I'm not questioning your atheism - I'm just saying that if it was conclusively proved to everyone in the world that God existed, the notions of theism and atheism (and everything in between) would be completely destroyed. Atheism is purely the belief that God does not exist; if he did exist, it would be delusional to even suggest that you believe otherwise. My point wasn't to start a debate about God's existence. Believe me, it's been done a hundred times on these forums alone, and all that happens is the hardcore atheists childishly insult those who believe in religion ("fairy tales" is a common word I see used - clearly such people are incapable of showing even an ounce of respect to their peers), while the fundamentalists tell them they're going to Hell/Gehenna/Jahannam/whatever. It's stupid, it's pointless, and it can only end badly. My remark was nearly throwaway, really - your post just seemed to infer that you would remain atheistic even if you had conclusive proof of God. Everyone would be theist, technically, but it'd be a moot point. New terms would presumably arise; I guess 'antiestablishmentarianism' would be the closest equivalent we have now (antitheism carries different connotations).

But really, we shouldn't be talking so much on what was simply a small point. xD;

I no your not questioning my beliefs but what Im trying to say is that REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT I KNEW GOD EXSISTED, I WOULD NOT WORSHIP HIM. I DONT BELIEVE IN GOD. IF HE WAS PROVEN TO EXSIST I WOULD OBVIOUSLY BELIEVE AS BEING A PHYSICS STUDENT I AM A SLAVE TO FACT. BUT I WOULD NOT WORSHIP HIM AS A DEITY.

Sorry for being so blunt, i just dont like being misunderstood.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    If I were to give a considered opinion, I'd say it was more likely that God does not exist, mainly because scientific evidence and philosophical evidence from people like Hume, Russell and Singer.

I did not bump that thread.

Apophenia? What Singer are you talking about? Peter Singer? I idolize him... but I do not think he has said anything insightful (as a philosopher about the existence of God.) He is an insightful ethicist though.

Back