• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you For or Against Gay Marriage?

Are you for or against gay marriage?

• For gay marriage

Votes: 97 51.6%
  • Against gay marriage

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 34 18.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    I'm against it.

It frustrates me to see people keep talking about "love" and if they are in "love" than they should get married.

Don't you know the entire reason why they hold rallies and parades about this crap? It's all about money, and it has nothing to do with love, although they like to sugar coat it. In case you didn't know, a homosexual couple with a civil union cannot claim life insurance or any type of marital benefit from their spouse. For example, when their spouse dies, all "spouse right" items will be first given either to parents (if living) or children (if had), and when neither exist, they are given to the closest family member (sibling, cousin, etc.).

I'm sure that's why I'm against it, not because of the natural reasons why not, but because for some reason these "fights" for "gay love" are nothing about love at all.

Actually, a really good example of things that would probably happen if gay marriage was allowed is that new movie coming out with Adam Sandler and the guy from King of Queens. They marry each other to get benefits. Frankly, I'm sure straight people do it too, but why worsen the situation.

Everything that xXscytherXx has said I agree with. I'm not going to restate what he's already said.

Adding this: A lot of people fake gay. Not saying they all do, but right now society thinks it's "cool" and suddenly there's all the more gay people out.

I do not mean to offend:

It's NOT about money it's about how people deserve equal rights. Your using the basis if your arguement on a comdey. Whats more its a movie that saterizes what people will do for money. There is not underlying message that say "OMFG GAYS WANT MONEY!!!!111" Also, in this country gays are tax paying citizens that contribute to society like ANYONE else. They deserve the same civil liberties as anyone else. I mean this shouldn't be an issue. Whats more how do you know "alot of gay people are fake?"

I've said my piece thank you.

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    Oh my god. Who are you to say that AN ENTIRE POPULATION of people would do something like that for MONEY? How dare you make such an accusation. How dare you. Homosexuality is NOT A FAD. IT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT PEOPLE ARE JUST 'DOING TO BE COOL'. IT HAS EXISTED SINCE BEFORE THE DAWN OF CIVILIZATION. It's been observed in ANIMALS for god's sake. And you're telling me that you would be so callous as to deny people the freedom they deserve BECAUSE SOMEONE SOMEWHERE MIGHT ABUSE THAT FREEDOM? WELL, GOLLY GEE, WE BETTER BAN INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE. THAT COULD LEAD TO SPOUSAL ABUSE, YOU KNOW. THEM NEGROES SURE CAN BE AGGRESSIVE, AMIRITE? AAAARGH YOU ARE NOT BEING RIGHTEOUS. YOU ARE NOT CONCERNED WITH THE GOOD OF THE COUNTRY. YOU ARE JUST. AFRAID. OF GAY PEOPLE.
    Yeah, guys, just cool down a little with your replies, please...

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I'm against it.

It frustrates me to see people keep talking about "love" and if they are in "love" than they should get married.

Don't you know the entire reason why they hold rallies and parades about this crap? It's all about money, and it has nothing to do with love, although they like to sugar coat it. In case you didn't know, a homosexual couple with a civil union cannot claim life insurance or any type of marital benefit from their spouse. For example, when their spouse dies, all "spouse right" items will be first given either to parents (if living) or children (if had), and when neither exist, they are given to the closest family member (sibling, cousin, etc.).

I'm sure that's why I'm against it, not because of the natural reasons why not, but because for some reason these "fights" for "gay love" are nothing about love at all.

Actually, a really good example of things that would probably happen if gay marriage was allowed is that new movie coming out with Adam Sandler and the guy from King of Queens. They marry each other to get benefits. Frankly, I'm sure straight people do it too, but why worsen the situation.

Everything that xXscytherXx has said I agree with. I'm not going to restate what he's already said.

Adding this: A lot of people fake gay. Not saying they all do, but right now society thinks it's "cool" and suddenly there's all the more gay people out.

Sure more gays are coming out, but not because it's a "fad"; pre-torn jeans are a fad. Leg warmers are a fad. Spikes hair is a fad. The reason there are more gays now than before is that people are realizing what they are isn't a bad thing, and that it's okay for them to be gay, instead of pretending to be straight just so they aren't ostracized. In fact, I think it's the complete opposite of what you said; we live in a country where gays are opposed, considered "evil" and "sinful", and relieved of their personal freedom to do what other people do. Sound like something people would enjoy as a recreational activity?

And don't give me the crap about wanting money. Most of the people who oppose gays and gay marriage support a government and political party that was built on greed and the idea of a economical hierarchy that puts them at the top, and you and I at the bottom. It's a complete contradiction, especially in a moral religious sense.

So if you're really against the "benefits" a couple gets from marriage, why not support the banning of this security issue altogether? Maybe then Anna Nicole Smith wouldn't have gotten all of her money, or any other Gold Digger for that matter. If you're against a little part of something, you might as well be against the whole picture.

Oh, and: that movie... is a movie. I don't expect anyone in real life to jump from a building into a helicopter, so why should I expect this to hold water? When it comes to a debate about politics and social norms, Hollywood (much like religious churches) should never EVER be brought into the formula. Period.

What you wrote offends me, not as a liberal, but as a human being. I couldn't imagine how offended a homosexual would be if they read what you wrote.

Congratulations; on a scale of 1 to 10 on the offensive meter, I think you just hit a 73.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    I completely agree with you. I mean people act as if gays are some evil race trying to destroy the world when they want equal rights.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    So apparently, there is no non-bigoted responses as of why gays should not be married. Nicely said Richard, but now I have to find out what liberal means :laugh:

What she wrote is a backwards step for mankind.

Precisely!

There is no scientific or, more importantly, logical reason as to why gays should not be allowed to get married and have the same benefits as soccer parents that carry their babies around in a sling and pay for tic-tacs with a platinum credit card.

Any reason that gays should have their freedom taken away is either political, or religious. And politics has always been corrupt. But in this case, it works perfectly in sync with religion. Religious people who view homosexuality as a sin are afraid (of what, I'm not too sure... most likely that if they live in an immoral society, they'll be banished to Hell), and politics plays off of this. It's the same deal with terrorism: people will ALWAYS be willing to give up a bit of their personal freedom for the illusion of security and safety. It's how dictatorships and tyrannies are born. And, to me, that is the scariest thing about this whole debate. Because once gay marriage is made illegal, then what next?

haha, and "liberal", in politics, means "moving forward", and is generally a term saved for Democrats. Trying new things, as opposed to Conservatives (mostly Republican) who believe in values and tradition, both milked by religion, and both usually opposed to change, which generally leads to betterment of the system.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    This happened when other races came around in America. They were all such a big fear. But look where we are now. I'm sure we will soon come around.

EDIT: I guess I'm a liberal too, but still a bit afraid of change. I still think gays should allow to marry, though.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    One major question:

WHY are people afraid of gays?

Its's probably have to do something with religion. Why does being attracted to your own gender automaticly send you to hell?

---

When we get through the religion factor, people will still be aganist it. They'll say something like:

"Oh, no! we can't have HIV/AIDS running around!"
    "It's setting bad examples to children! it will turn them gay!"
    "They're just getting married to get money!"
    "It's aganist god's wishes!"
    "The whole world is going to become gay if this is allowed!"
    "They can't produce children! The population is going to die out and the human race will be nonexistant!"
    "Being gay is not normal! we can't have things in Humanity that isn't normal!"

And so on...

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    People are simpaly afraid of the changing times. It seems to me the people whoa re against gays really just crave for the time of yesteryear where apparently it was more "moral."

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    People are simpaly afraid of the changing times. It seems to me the people whoa re against gays really just crave for the time of yesteryear where apparently it was more "moral."

Maybe,
    People are aganist it because a gay couple cannot raise children unless they adopt a child. They can't make any children of thier own.
    They're worried that it will harm the future in a way.

That's probably they threw rocks at them a long while ago. They want them to make children, even if it's aganist thier will.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Yeah, people are afraid of the times ahead (and why shouldn't they be; the nuclear bomb was a "change", but at the same time, freeing the slaves was a 'change"), but it will always boil down to a reason covered with religion.

Why are people afraid of gays, you ask?

Because the Bible says they're sinful.
    Or it's "God's will".

This is a truly frightening reason... in a world where religion can control all aspects of a person's life, what else can it control? It's practically controlling politics as it is. How long before the non-believing like myself are subjected to forced belief? And even more frightening, it's a boulder that can not be stopped from rolling down the hill; it's a case where the inventors of the story have come to believe in the story themselves, no matter what actual reason some of these things were made up for.

That's why religious dominance is such a scary thing... and when it comes to banning gay marriage, we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. This is merely the calm before the storm, my friends.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Yeah, people are afraid of the times ahead (and why shouldn't they be; the nuclear bomb was a "change", but at the same time, freeing the slaves was a 'change"), but it will always boil down to a reason covered with religion.

Why are people afraid of gays, you ask?

Because the Bible says they're sinful.
    Or it's "God's will".

This is a truly frightening reason... in a world where religion can control all aspects of a person's life, what else can it control? It's practically controlling politics as it is. How long before the non-believing like myself are subjected to forced belief? And even more frightening, it's a boulder that can not be stopped from rolling down the hill; it's a case where the inventors of the story have come to believe in the story themselves, no matter what actual reason some of these things were made up for.

That's why religious dominance is such a scary thing... and when it comes to banning gay marriage, we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. This is merely the calm before the storm, my friends.

See I dunno about the whole "God's will" thing. I think people mask their homophobia with religion so they can have something to say to defend their beliefs. Now don't get me wrong. I mean even God has said "Love thy neighbor." So the whole religion things seems far from it.

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
    I love how you guys call me a bigot for standing my ground about my opinions.

Marriage is reserved for a man and a woman, and that is what I'll always believe. Any straight person will never understand how a person of a gender can love someone from the same gender.

Gay people aren't bad people, not at all. Some of the nicest people I have met have been gay.

But in my opinion, gay is a distorted view on love. A "compromise" of marriage.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I love how you guys call me a bigot for standing my ground about my opinions.

Umm, no one is calling you a bigot for that, strawman. We're calling you a bigot for comments like these:

Any straight person will never understand how a person of a gender can love someone from the same gender.

THAT is what bigotry is. It's a point of view you do not understand, so you label it as wrong or unnatural. It's like if the majority of the world population was born blind and a blind person said 'I was born blind so I don't know what it's like to be able to see. Therefore, sight = BAD.'

And for the record, I'm pretty sure I can understand how someone could like someone of the same gender. Honestly, I'd like to think everyone is a little gay.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back