• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you Pure?

Hypocrates

shampain
    Years
    I never have and I don't think I ever will. I feel like they take away from the enjoyment of playing and completing the game as a result of your own hard work and dexterity.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I used to cheat on my older games.

And I mean way back when I played Red/Blue/Yellow, because I had an ActionReplay thing for my GameBoy. xD My friends and me used to think it was neat to try out all the different cheat codes and see what they did to the game. Though, I never used it on my original playthroughs, and I've never used cheat codes since then.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I actually cheat quite a lot. I never modify or create illegal Pokemon, however. The only time I ever did that was because my brother would NOT stop begging me for an Arceus. There's always one game per generation that has everything maxed out - Pokeballs, Medicine, Items, TMs, everything material, because that game has my shinies and EV'd and such and it is usually the game I do all my competitive training and the like.

Almost every one of my pre-Gen 5 games I have hacked to have all the TMs. It is so useful, especially since I'm even pretty picky about my in-game teams. Once I started doing it I couldn't go back, haha. It's just so useful to have everything already ;~;

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Well. I did use a GameShark in Pokemon Gold for fun. But I was never able to battle anyone with the Pokemon.

I can't say I wouldn't use cheating methods for my own amusement. I haven't, thus far, but I totally would. Heck, I'd even make illegal Pokemon. But it's not like I'd use them competitively. If I used them on other people I would be sure they know that I AM using a hacked Pokemon and that the battle is just to create a fun experience.
    I would totally make a team that replicates several of the Glitch Pokemon from gen I. ('M would totally be a ditto.)

But unfortunately, for me, I don't believe it's easy to make illegals without the games going HJFDSGDSVHJS!

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    .. I am sadly not pure. OTL;

I discovered the AR when I was younger and used it in DPPt to mess around with a lot of mechanics - such as creating your own custom Pokemon out of thin air, walking through walls, and making 900x out of every item. I had a lot of fun experimenting with the AR in those games - and thankfully those games alone. I think I may have used it once in my SS version to see secret IDs, but other than that.

I've never used my cheating to deceive though, so that's a plus!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    I'm not pure, but I stay reasonable.

I play for Pokédex completion, and it doesn't feel right at all having NPC congratulate you when your Pokédex is objectively not complete. So, yeah, I got myself GBA and DS Action Replays, used them to get the event-exclusives, and put them away. All my other Pokémon were caught in a 100% legit manner... yup, even that (insert insult here) Feebas in Gen 3. I have no regrets, if GF really didn't want us to get those Pokémon, they shouldn't have made slots for them in the National Dex in the first place.

I used cloning in Emerald for two things: replicate my Gen 3 Living Pokédex so I could have one Living Dex per generation, that saved me a lot of time spent breeding, at least as long as Gen 1, 2 and 3 Pokémon were concerned; and clone a few Lucky Eggs to prepare a "curb stomp, anything goes" kind of run through some of Gen 3 and 4 games. I find joy in being overpowered :) ... but in practice, even getting Lucky Eggs for the entire team simply means that if I fight every single trainer in the game, I simply don't have to grind before the Elite Four. So, yeah, I get no actual advantage from this, it just saves time.

Speaking of runs with Experience-enhancing items, I don't do such things before completing the game normally at least once or twice, I just figure once I complete a game normally and meet all the challenges the designers put up, I can have some fun with it.

That's pretty much all I do. I don't care about EVs/IVs because I don't battle online, and the closest my cheating came to affecting people around me was that one time when I bred and put on Wonder Trade a few perfectly legal Phiones (you could even say "half-legit" since the Phiones were all OK, it was the parent Manaphy, who, while legal and not at all outstanding in terms of nature or IV, did have dubious origins :) ).

Years
    As a teenager, I used to hack legal Pokemon using Pokegen/PokeSAV because I was too lazy to EV train and learn about the game. But after having a fresh start on Emerald last year, I went legit and built ALL my Pokemon from the ground up to prepare for Gen 6 (I didn't own a 3DS at the time..). Every Pokemon I have in my Y game have been caught/hatched legitimately, including the ones I've transferred all the way from Emerald.

Years
    I never RNG abused or used PowerSaves, not because people consider them cheating, but mostly because they sound way too complex for me to understand. I prefer to breed my Pokémon legitimately.

Years
    Seems like Im slowly crossing that thin line between pure and impure.

Cloned legendaries in Emerald today. I finally got myself the game, I has Sapphire before where you cant do the glitch. I feel like Im going to clone a lot, if nothing, so I can trade later when I get Y/AS.
    I usually dont do stuff like that cos it bothers me when its cheated, but I consider these legit so Im alright with that :D

Back