• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are your pokemon over-leveled in the beginning?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Are you one of those over-achievers? Or just have a bad habit of over-leveling your pokemon for the first few gyms in every game?

xD I go crazy when Im leveling up my pokemon for the 1st gym. They'll be in the upper 20's before I go to the first gym. -sigh- yes it is time consuming battling wild pokemon but its all good. There has also been a time that my starter did not obey me in my FR version, and then I realized that I didnt have any badges :x

Harumi Fujyoshi

Ichiban fujyoshi desu!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2015
    I don't really overlevel my Pokemon. Only when I feel like it, I'm usually too lazy.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    i just did the second Gym on Pearl
    and i wiped all of his with one pokemon my fully evolved Infernape :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    My pokemon are always under-leveled.
    I beat gym-leaders with super-effective attacks and, of course, luck.
    But when I reach the pokemon league I level up them at least until level 55.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'm always overleveled, even if I have no reason to be. I like to stay 5 levels ahead of the local boss (whether it be Gym Leader or evil team). Force of habit, I guess.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    Mine actually are under-leveled always =/
    It's really strange that I didn't fail the last gym, I was miles away,
    But I did rush through the game quickly =/

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Usually, I over-level at the beginning. My Pokémon could 6-8 levels higher than the first Gym Leader's. By the fifth and sixth gyms, my Pokémon's level could be 3-4 levels lower. I usually have my full team by the second gym though and I make sure they're all at the same level.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Im under leveled the whole way, I train usually 3 in the beginning and gradually increasing to 6 but they are all at or under all the gym leaders

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I never used to, but now my Pokémon are always neurotically over-levelled...to the point where I forget where my Badge power ends and they end up not obeying me lmao. (This happened to me in LeafGreen with my Mister Mime). In Pokémon Emerald, my Torchic was a Combusken before I reached Oldale...for the first time. XD

Years
    I generally over level before settling into a side of around 5 pokemon at the level 55-65ish. Probably with on runt at about level 50. It depends on the team But early on I end up heaps far ahead of the curve with a smaller team until all the types/Pokemon open up. Then as I raise them I come back to the pack a little.

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
    My team is alway at least 8 levels higher than the gym leaders.
    I face every trainer possible in the game to train my Pokemon.
    And another training method, I HAVE TO defeat every wild Pokemon in my way.
    :)

Ayselipera

No, in the beginning my pokemon are always either one or two levels below the gym leaders' strongest pokemon or the same level.

... I run away from all the wild pokemon. :p

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
    Nope. When I started playing, I used to only train 1 pokemon. But now I'm forcing to make myself train 4-6 pokemon -_____-
    I'm not doing bad, but good either

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    When I first got Diamond, I had my Infernape as my team's strongest member. When I went to face the Elite Four, it was around Lv. 77, whereas all of my other Pokémon were Level 30-ish. Obviously, I tanked on Bertha and if I survived/spammed Revives, I died undoubtedly on Lucian. Eventually, my lack of success drove me to the point where I deleted my save file and started the game over, where I eventually built up my team that I still use today (my Swampert and Mantine are from trades, and I imported my Charizard from FireRed to aid me in Diamond).

Every now and then, I overtrain by ridiculous amounts, mainly for just-for-fun playthroughs of FireRed. A notable example would be the Tri-Species challenge that I'm doing right now; my only Pokémon right now is a Lv. 20-something Ivysaur, which will probably dominate the rest of the game until I get to Lavender Town to get a Growlithe or I catch something else.

Years
    I definitely have a tendency to over-level my Pokemon, especially in the beginning of a game. :x Before I reach the first gym leader, I always end up with my starter already evolved to its second stage and at least one other Pokemon at level 20+. I have too much time on my hands.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    No, my Pokemon are always at a lower level than the gym leaders (barring Johto's underlevelled gyms).

Back