• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ark Silvanos' PokeSprite Center

After seeing the evolutions, which starter would you choose?

• Total voters
Years
Ark Silvanos' PokeSprite Center

ssprites.png

arksprites.gif

So down to business.

These are pokemon i've been wanting to make for a reaaaallly long time. I just never thought i could. They're not perfect and there are a dozen things that are probably wrong, but i've given up trying to find my own mistakes so i'm giving you guys a turn :D. I'm really trying to improve, so any CC is welcome.

So my game is set in a region whose name i haven't really thought of as of yet,(probably gonna be Necho)

so here are the fakemon from it:

titlestarters.png

Grass Starter
Spoiler:

Fire Starter
Spoiler:

Water Starter
Spoiler:

titleevoloutions.png

So basically, these are scratch sprites of evolutions of pokemon that i will be using in my game.

Carvana-------->Sharpedo-------->Sharket(water/dark)
Onix ---------> Dragix (Rock/Dragon)
Cubone--------->Marrowak--------->Hemorrage(Ground/Fight)

Sharket:-
Spoiler:

Dragix:-
Spoiler:

Hemorrage:-
Spoiler:

fakemon.png

Kryptut Line:-
Spoiler:

Leafly line:-
Spoiler:

Molarock line:-

Spoiler:

Pluglet Line:-

Spoiler:

Flying Thing!

Spoiler:

Legendaries:-

Legends of the Seasons:-

Spoiler:

Revamps:-

Spoiler:

Non-Pokemon Sprite Related:-

Spoiler:

pageant.png

Spoiler:

Like i've said, i'm open to CC. And i'm also open to names and ideas. Well, i dunno if the ideas thing is allowed, but if you've got any good ideas for pokemon, i dont mind hearing them, and trying to sprite them if i like.....proper credit will be give for names and ideas.

oh, and i'd prefer if you'd ask me before you use any of my sprites in anything. I dont mind if u take any of them to look at, or draw inspiration from (as long as they don't end up exactly like mine) but I do not want them used for anything else without my permission.

Last edited:

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
You need at least 4 sprites to have a thread. Post more or your thread will be closed.

Years
sigh.....

all right then....

i'll finish the Grass Starter line......

Barkid --------> Woodlo ----------> Gragox

(yeah.....i need better names)

Gragox is what i started with, and i kinda worked back....so the second isn't as good as i like it to be, maybe i'll repose him later, but i'm open to suggestions.

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 12, 2011
Hey,

Your sprites are good in some parts, but lacking in some parts.

And they dont look really look like Pokemon,

Anyways, keep at it and I'm sure you'll be fine (:

Years
Yeah....i think my color choices have something to do with it....but i'm clueless on what colors to use. I've tried to use existing pokemon palettes but they don't seem to match my spriting style

Which ones dont look like pokemon btw? i can add them to the need to be redone lists.....

anyway,

minor update

my geodude revamp from the trading card game, i got it from the old gb game.

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 12, 2011
I don;t really know, they just dont look quite right, I'd ask some 'pros' for help as many people have this problem :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2010
I think your sprites are really good.
You need to work little harder on them.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
your sprites are really really good, especially the outlining. The only thing I don't like is the color palette you chose the colors are too much of an eye-sore.

Years
your sprites are really really good, especially the outlining.

Thank you. I try my hardest.

The only thing I don't like is the color palette you chose the colors are too much of an eye-sore.

ya, i think its because I use more shades than normal, and since I can't get a palette with enough shades, I end up picking out my own colors, and they just don't seem right. Hmmm....i wonder if there's a tutorial on choosing good colors...

Diaruga222 said:
I think your sprites are really good.
You need to work little harder on them.

Thanks, I'm gonna keep spriting till I get all my fakemon down.

Years
they're pretty good.
just work on your shading (=

yup, seems there's a lot i have to work on but i'll get there someday. :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

newayz just finished 15 posts!!!! woot!!!!!

i'm gonna update my first post in a bit with the rest of my sprites.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
Years
yup, seems there's a lot i have to work on but i'll get there someday. :P

Nah.. You need to work more on the lines and shape. (I'll keep saying this guys) If you get these right, then the shading- hell, everything after it wont be much of a problem.

I would recommend.. To start from zero one of those, and work it in a stage method. Then post your progress ocasionally so that you can get crit and fix stuff early on, instead of putting the complete sprite all at once and then having to fix countless crits regarding everything.

A sketch is a great way to start, which is something most of you never do. It allows you to mold the anatomy, move parts freely to fit them best, trace and connect, and do these kinds of things that would mean a real fckage to fix later on.

An example could be, well, my WIP avi now. Quality-wise, it looks like sht, but I pretty much got the anatomy going on.

It'd be worth the time to give it a try. I could even help along the way too.

Years
I would recommend.. To start from zero one of those, and work it in a stage method. Then post your progress ocasionally so that you can get crit and fix stuff early on, instead of putting the complete sprite all at once and then having to fix countless crits regarding everything.

I would do that, but it takes me about 30 minutes to finish a sprite(and i'm only gonna be doing pokemon sprites), and i dont wanna post my lineart, wait for comments, then move on. I use photoshop and each part of my sprite has a different layer ( line art, outlining, colors and shading) so its no biggie trying to fix anything

A sketch is a great way to start, which is something most of you never do. It allows you to mold the anatomy, move parts freely to fit them best, trace and connect, and do these kinds of things that would mean a real fckage to fix later on.

Most of my pokemon started from sketches, except for Flareumpent and Pharo, unfortunately...some turned out quite differently from what i sketched....lol.

I could even help along the way too.

Thank you, i could use any help

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
Years
Pffft, photoshop.. lol.

Either way, you can't expect to get something good out of 30 minutes. With crit, these things can take weeks to complete, no matter how you do it.. Step by step just ensures good quality.

Works for me, at least. And in pokeman too:

PhotobucketUpld-1274.png
-Maybe you could use this tut I made some time ago.

You don't have to post each stage, unless you're convinced that you might need help, of course.

Last edited:
Years
oh yeah.....i see what you mean. I guess my sprites really don't have much detail. And i can see where i've gone wrong with my lines(thanks for the tut)...i'll try fixing em up....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:-

Added one of the legendaries from my game.

Mizakura
The Cherry Blossom of the Sea
Legendary of Spring

it's got its palette cuz i entered it into the contest. need C&C on it cuz i wanna win that contest.

Last edited:
Years
bump :)

Been a year.....now i gotta get back into spriting....

Update:-

Added second stage of the fire tiger... might edit them to water to use as my starter.

firetiger2.png

Tell me what you think

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
bump :)

Been a year.....now i gotta get back into spriting....

Update:-

Added second stage of the fire tiger... might edit them to water to use as my starter.

firetiger2.png

Tell me what you think
I like the overall design, but there are some things which stand out to me that I think you could improve on.

I think the fire on the end of its tail, and the tail as a whole, needs to stand out more. It's good that you were aiming for some kind of depth by having one part overlap another (in contrast to a sprite where all the parts are equally visible, making the whole thing look flat), but it's hard to make out the detail. It gets lost a little on account of having the same color and shading as the rest of the sprite.

There are some red outlines here and there (the front legs, the back) that don't blend with the colors they are next to. You've made the body a golden/orange/yellow/brown kind of mix of color so the outlines on it should match that color. The shading seems a little strange, too, on the front of the body where there is a light patch that doesn't seem to have any definite source. I do like that you made the fire on the sprite a light source in and of itself.

I see a couple of proportions that look off. The head, mostly, for having a large jaw and what seems like a not large enough head for the size of it. I also wonder at the position of the legs. The front two are next to each other, but the back two are apart and that gives two slightly different perspectives.

So, a good sprite overall, but there's still room to make it better.

Years
I think the fire on the end of its tail, and the tail as a whole, needs to stand out more. It's good that you were aiming for some kind of depth by having one part overlap another (in contrast to a sprite where all the parts are equally visible, making the whole thing look flat), but it's hard to make out the detail. It gets lost a little on account of having the same color and shading as the rest of the sprite.

it actually was never meant to be that way XD....i just folded the tail over it cuz it shaved off some pixels from the rightside....so its gotta stay like this....any ideas as to how to make it work? i would try a complete black outline on the tail....but that would merge with the stripes....

There are some red outlines here and there (the front legs, the back) that don't blend with the colors they are next to. You've made the body a golden/orange/yellow/brown kind of mix of color so the outlines on it should match that color.

I just blindly took palettes from pokemon....somehow...when the actual game spriters use it....it looks ok....but i can never get the hang of how they use their outline colors. I'll try changing it to a color that matches more to the sprite tho.

The shading seems a little strange, too, on the front of the body where there is a light patch that doesn't seem to have any definite source.

I thought the light source would come from not just the upper left but maybe a lil behind the pokemon too....so like the side thats not visible will have more light and it needed to wrap around on the leg closer to that side...but i can fix that too.

I see a couple of proportions that look off. The head, mostly, for having a large jaw and what seems like a not large enough head for the size of it. I also wonder at the position of the legs. The front two are next to each other, but the back two are apart and that gives two slightly different perspectives.

The small head. it kept annoying me but i just couldn't fit it.....i think i'll have to redo the sprite....or maybe shorten the body a bit...so i can increase the size of the head and push the snout out a lil more. I didn't even notice the legs...but now that u mention it....it does throw the sprite all out of balance...i'll fix that when i get the chance too...

Thanks, that was really helpful. I'll try altering a couple of things and hopefully it'll help. :)

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
Years
Your sprites are pretty good, I think your best one is Sharket so far IMO
First two stages of the grass starter look kinda off, prolly because the base of the trunk feet? Are flattish - try curving it a little.
Dragix has nice shading but the head seems to be too small and at a wrong angle.
And Hemorrage's outline is too dark at the areas where the light hits, try softening up the lines with a lighter color.

About the outlines I generally use the darkest shade on your fakemon for the outline on the parts which are closest to the light source, dark colors (almost black but not quite) for the darker bits and black outline for the darkest bits.

Overall your sprites are pretty good, you just need to tweak them a lil'. ^_^

-PARADOX-

Overworld Spriter :)
Years
hmmmm, these sprites look a little off to me, they dont look very Pokemon like, i think you should try and redo your designs a bit, the concepts are great though!

Back