• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Art & Design Resolutions 2016

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years

• So one of my favourite local design youtubers from NZ recently posted a video on the things she wanted to accomplish for 2016 in terms of design.

Although it doesn't have to be the set "New Years Resolutions" in terms of A&D, is there anything you want to try and accomplish in 2016 within the side of creativity whether Drawing, Digital, Graphics, Pixel Art, Craft, Photography or any other?

Things will definitely be different for different people, like people such as myself who studies design for a career vs the people who do it for fun.

---
    2015 for me felt more like a growing year and more of realization what I needed to do for next year (I literally didn't know what I was doing half the time this year):

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • For me I hope I can draw more graphics beside dragons such as scenery, buildings, or even Portraits ( that would be extreme hard ).

Besides, I hope I can improve my drawing skills by learning more from Internet or even looking other designs.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Personally I'd like to take my art to the next level-- I draw a lot of people, but I'm actually extremely limited in the scope of poses and things that I can draw because of my lack of skill and understanding..... So I'd like to expand it so that I don't have to strategically think about what I can and can't draw anymore, and so that when an idea comes to me, I can just spit it out on the canvas without having to readjust it to fit my skill level.

First, I'd like to have a stronger grasp on anatomy, including a mastery of foreshortening and perspectives. I'd like to have a better understanding of the color wheel, to improve my shoddy painting skills and actually make my colors interesting. And I'd like to start doing landscapes so that my characters can finally stop standing in white space.... And I think that's where I'd like to go with my digital art in 2016. (Maybe even make more forays into my ever dreaded animal kingdom/monster world)

For other mediums, I'd also like to remake some of old UTAU videos on youtube and give them proper PVs-- or well, one video specifically which has so many views that I'm embarrassed so many people have seen that horrendous art of mine from 4 years ago.... OTL

And of course, to keep up with actually posting my stuff on PC, because I tend to fall off the face of this forum for months at a time hahaha....

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Well, right now all I can really do is tags and some basic graphic design XD

I have a biiiig resolution challenge thing for myself come this new years, and I want to drastically change the way I think, live and behave. The main thing I want to do is change my priorities, which mainly revolve around sitting at my PC doing nothing. I want to make it so that every time I'm sat at my PC I'm doing something creative or engaging, and when I'm not I'm not at my pc. The first step is definitely doing more graphics and improving and gaining skills I don't really have. I got bought Manga Studio 5 for Christmas, so my first target is to learn to draw like that. I've wanted to for ages, and now is as good a time as any.

I also really want to make A&D something different to how it is now as well. No details I can release yet (cause there aren't any solid ones!) but I'm going to putting a lot more energy into this section than I have done as of late, and hopefully make this section a very comfortable and relaxing section to hang around in!

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I definitely want to improve my understanding of pixel art. Get past just being able to do pokémon sprites is something I hope to be able to do well next year. But also just improving my pokémon sprites, and fakemon designs. With that learning to draw also plays a part, because I feel it helps in designing a lot to understand all those aspects, instead of putting them into pixel art immediately.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I also really want to make A&D something different to how it is now as well. No details I can release yet (cause there aren't any solid ones!) but I'm going to putting a lot more energy into this section than I have done as of late, and hopefully make this section a very comfortable and relaxing section to hang around in!

Aiden stop making me excited over things that hasn't happened yet xD You've gotta spill eventually :pp

By 2016, I want to create good pixel art and good (low poly) 3d models. I got myself Blender, Paint, and soon Maya, so hopefully I can put all them to good use.

omg Yaay c: I'm so happy there's gonna be another modeller - and a low poly modeller at that! Have been meaning to try Blender as well for the low poly style, since Maya doesn't seem to fond of it xD

Flygon330

Banned
    Years
  • I want to actually draw things and not completely suck at it (being forced to use a ref sheet 99% of the time, or having to just guess due to certain characters not having any).

Oh, and to learn shading and to make my lineart thinner.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I want to actually draw things and not completely suck at it (being forced to use a ref sheet 99% of the time, or having to just guess due to certain characters not having any).

Oh, and to learn shading and to make my lineart thinner.

When I finally start up the traditional art class I'll let you know! We'll cover stuff like that. :)

As for myself, I want to do more isometric pixel art. I'm so... bad at it! D: I've tried and my god I just can't grasp it. I also want to get my coloring game stronger. Color, especially digital color, is so foreign to me. I can't seem to wrap my head around the creative and technical aspects of it. I know what I want to do when I sit down to color, but nothing translates from my brain to my hand to Photoshop. Using the tools, brushes, layering, lighting, everything about it escapes me; and I want to fix it.

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
  • This year, I want to improve my drawing in traditional media, since I've been doing most of my work digitally. I also want to improve my grasp on drawing backgrounds and perspective. Majority of what I've been doing are characters usually drawn in chibi. I also want to try drawing realistically as opposed to my usual drawing style. Hopefully, I also get to use up all of my coloring materials gifted to me during Christmas.

And I guess get back to fixing my gallery here in PC (and posting more drawings).

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • I have a pretty simple resolution. From now on I want to focus on all kinds of graphic design rather than just one type (which is what I've been doing for the past two years or so). As much as I love making icons and various other hobby graphics, I feel like it's time to do other things regularly as well.

Ah, and I also want to draw more. Not living things, since I've always been bad at drawing people/animals, but I do like drawing objects, patterns, designs, and stuff like that. So I want to get back into it after a year of doing no traditional art (yikes).

Back