• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash Ketchum: Master or Moron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    You know I find a lot of people that consider Ash to be dumb are very unsympathetic.
    Did he ever release a Pokemon that didn't have a reason to go or didn't want to?

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2009
    He's ok for the most part but the only thing that gets me is that every single gen, he pulls out his
    pokedex even when he saw that kind of pokemon like a trillion time.

*A caterpie walks/rolls by*
    Ash: OMGZ Wut was dat?!? I shure dat I havnt seen him befoor!

Stop Messing Up My Files Porygon-Z!

The shadow of Mismagius
    Years
    Moron. But in the beginning of the series, him being a moron added spice, being a noob. But in the Diamond and Pearl saga, especially in the PUSA dub, what with Natochenny's bad voicing (she's definitely not alone in that, if you ask me) and the music-just-never mind. That comment belongs in another thread. But anyway, Ash has had all this training, but he's still a moron. That would be okay in a mysterious world like at the beginning, and it might even be okay if Cyrus is one of those recurring baddies that doesn't just lose in two seconds (Team Rocket is so cliched that it's not even funny anymore, and Cassidy and Butch are following that same path, however gradually) It might even be GOOD for the plot if Cyrus turns out to be HALF as evil as he is in the games, but not now. Ash the Pokemoron isn't cool, though he might be if he withdrew some of his Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn friends from the PCs that are in EVERY SINGLE TOWN!!!

s p a c e c o w b o y

Im Part Vaporeon.....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    You barely thought when you were 10. lol.

Anyway, what will be even more funny is in Pokemon Movie 12, he'll probably have the chance to catch Arceus...and he'll probably be like...."nah......."

lol. yea, i think he's ... special :)

DJ Lorik

Honey, I just forgot to duck.
    Years
    Very true, he's not the brighest trainer(not even close), but using moron is a bit strong. After all the target audience for Pokemon is kids and kids don't exactly think like you or I do.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Ash isn't really a moron. It's just that he would rather earn the title rather than breeze through the gyms.

It's not looked up upon if you use legendaries in the metagame. Imagine in the show. They would probably call him a hack or something for not earning the title of Pokémon Master.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    ...hokay, guys. The Pokemon Anime combines two different things.

1. Ash's determination to be a Pokemon Master.
    2. The lesson of friendship and love, and not to take advantage of others.

The episodes and movies are more geared towards the younger audience, but then again suitable for all ages. The episodes and shows are somewhat like a folk tale. If you haven't noticed, each episode does teach a lesson to the viewer if you really think about it. They teach you lessons through a story. I'm definitely not doubting that Ash does want to be a Pokemon Master. Its just that the creators of the anime shows want to teach a lesson through Ash's well known journey of becoming a master. Ash actually does have the brains, and makes honest decisions. For example, kabigon stated that Ash didn't catch a Zapdos laying on the ground. Why not? Ash doesn't want to take advantage of Pokemon, and would rather befriend Pokemon than being their master. If you haven't noticed, he always refer's to his Pokemon as their friends - most notably in the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Now think about the way he catches Pokemon. In the beginning, he always wants to catch Pokemon and catch more, but as the story progresses, Ash gains the knowledge of friendship. The majority of his Pokemon have been only obtained after Ash and the Pokemon befriended eachother. Now, put yourself into Ash's shoes for a minute. Pokemon are living creatures, and wouldn't you want to befriend them too? It's sort of like humans to pets. Humans always treat their pets very nicely, and they grow on eachother. It would probably be the same for Humans vs. Pokemon, now wouldn't it?

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    How many of these darn threads keep coming up?

Anyways, Ash's Johto releases (primarily Charizard) vexed me to no end, but other than that he hasn't really done things like that recently, so cut the guy some slack. And practically, Ash can't possibly catch so many Pokemon and have them all showcased. The anime has trouble balancing out individual Pokemon screentime as it is. Yes, Gary might be able to pull it off, but that's because he has a lot of time on his hands off-screen.

And of course, I think it would be even dumber to try to catch a Legendary and screw over the world or something.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I read so many things wrong, I was sure this thread said "Ash Ketchum: Master or Mormon?".

Anyway...he doesn't seem stupid. He can't tell Team Rocket's disguises? That's just in the job description for a twerp. Letting Pokemon go when *they* want to isn't stupid, he's thinking of them rather than himself.

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
    I HONESTLY think that Moron is just too much of a weak word to describe his failure in life and idiocy. I consider him as a..... murderer of pokemon society. I see him as a soulja boy, and Kenny G of the pokemon world..... he COMPLETELY TRASHED THE POKEMON WORLD! It could've been Red, but nooooo..... Red was born in the pokemon world first, but all of sudden this idiot comes by and he's put into the show! I personally hate him more than Team Rocket.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I HONESTLY think that Moron is just too much of a weak word to describe his failure in life and idiocy. I consider him as a..... murderer of pokemon society. I see him as a soulja boy, and Kenny G of the pokemon world..... he COMPLETELY TRASHED THE POKEMON WORLD! It could've been Red, but nooooo..... Red was born in the pokemon world first, but all of sudden this idiot comes by and he's put into the show! I personally hate him more than Team Rocket.

You...didn't really explain why you think that.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    ...hokay, guys. The Pokemon Anime combines two different things.

1. Ash's determination to be a Pokemon Master.
    2. The lesson of friendship and love, and not to take advantage of others.

The episodes and movies are more geared towards the younger audience, but then again suitable for all ages. The episodes and shows are somewhat like a folk tale. If you haven't noticed, each episode does teach a lesson to the viewer if you really think about it. They teach you lessons through a story. I'm definitely not doubting that Ash does want to be a Pokemon Master. Its just that the creators of the anime shows want to teach a lesson through Ash's well known journey of becoming a master. Ash actually does have the brains, and makes honest decisions. For example, kabigon stated that Ash didn't catch a Zapdos laying on the ground. Why not? Ash doesn't want to take advantage of Pokemon, and would rather befriend Pokemon than being their master. If you haven't noticed, he always refer's to his Pokemon as their friends - most notably in the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Now think about the way he catches Pokemon. In the beginning, he always wants to catch Pokemon and catch more, but as the story progresses, Ash gains the knowledge of friendship. The majority of his Pokemon have been only obtained after Ash and the Pokemon befriended eachother. Now, put yourself into Ash's shoes for a minute. Pokemon are living creatures, and wouldn't you want to befriend them too? It's sort of like humans to pets. Humans always treat their pets very nicely, and they grow on eachother. It would probably be the same for Humans vs. Pokemon, now wouldn't it?

Well said in this post! =D

I really don't think he is a moron. He is trying to work hard to become a legendary Pokemon Master. He needs to learn and grow as a person too. And he much rather be friends with his Pokemon than not. He really cares for them and let them do whatever they feel it is right. Also he rather do a battle fair and square than cheat. He isn't that type of person.

So what he said, in this post I pointed out is totally true! I just added what I think. ^^

Years
    yer but he has so many chances to catch them but let's them go. He has caught proberly 60 but has let like 10 go

The pokemon he has let go have been:
    Charizard
    Butterfree
    Beedrill
    Primeape
    and many others

Seriously if i were his Charizard i would bite his head off

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
    okay maybe he does make some really dumb mistakes, he's impatient and sometimes doesn't realize the obvious but he can be a good trainer sometimes, he probably didn't catch the legendaries cuz it might have ruined the balance of nature.

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
    You...didn't really explain why you think that.

OH... OKAY!! So I actually have to give a reason why I don't like him.... let's see, Most of Ash's pokemon don't evlove, it's always every single time that his pikachu gets the job done, he's got no charisma, which I mean that he's got no visible toughness inside of him, and also one of the people mentioned that the people who play the pokemon games end up catching more pokemon than him. Another reason is that he is still 10 years old...... That's just weird...... He should be like 18. Also, since TV is the most conventionl form of media today, the majority of the world today think that pokemon is for kids basically. They probably got that idea from ONLY WATCHING THE TV SHOWS, which Ash and Pikachu takes the spotlight.... wait did I just say that Ash takes the spotlight?! ROFLMAO! I'm sorry Ash, but the show's more focuesd on the pokemon rather than the people... that's why you have such a bad dialouge and the necessary characteristics such as toughness and general charisma. Also, the TV show has taken over the world today due to the conventional TV Media, so they do not know anything about Pokespecial.... which the characters actually have character development! And yeah, yeah, the pokemon manga is meant for older viewers and the anime is for little tiny cute kids. BUT, look at Naruto! There is no differnce between the manga and the anime as far as the age contents go....which I mean that one is not more childish than the other. Anyways, you get my point that Ash's character is like that because it is a children's show....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back