• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age/Coma Theory

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Actually, that would comply with the age statement at the beginning of BW- we all assumed Ash was slowly ageing until then.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
BW ruined it so much for me. little did I know it would be a down hill spiral at least for me but XY today made me happy. I'm all for saying BW was not canon XD. But yeah I like to think BW was towards the end of that year and Ash is now 11 for XY. Granted time may past in a different way in the poke verse so a real year could be like 78 months.

DarkCloud1267

Master Trainer
Years
The way i see it ash should be around...18
The reason being is that each region he's traveled through SHOULD have taken at least a year to get through. Im also counting the Orange Islands and the Kanto Battle Frontier.
I dont care what the anime says....im considering him that age xD

Years
I don't understand why people get so hung up over his age. It's not unusual to have a protagonist that doesn't age, especially in a children's show. Accept it and move on.

Years
I was thinking about Ash's age and all and I came to the conclusion that Ash is 12 yo.

First of all, 818 episodes have aired in Japan. If every episode is 1 day that means Ash is on his journey for 818 days (well, there are some episodes that took place in the same day but still, there aren't too many). So, let's say that Ash is on his journey for ~800 days. That means 2 years and 70 days. So, if he started his journey when he was 10 that means he is 2 years and 70 days older now.

Of course they said at the beginning of BW that Ash is 10 but I think this was said only in the dub version, right? And before the BW saga there were only 660 episodes aired in Japan so that means, if they did say that Ash is still 10, that they made him younger by ~660 days not 10+ years.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
They did confirm he was still 10 years old in the first ep of BW in both Japanese and English. But most of the fandom said that's dumb and we're not going to go along with that.

Still hoping for a retcon on re-broadcast but idk.

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
Am I like the only one who doesn't care about Ash's age lol? I mean every TV show is flawed, Ash's age is the least of my problems. I honestly don't even remember he's 10 until someone brings it up. I mean, yeah the theories about it are kinda cool/neat, but I mean..??

The Pokemon world is in an entirely different universe to the real world, for all we know, people in the Pokemon world could age one year after 140958349 Earth years.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
Theory: Why Ash never ages!

I have a theory to explain why he never ages.

"The rare few who bear witness to Ho-Oh are promised an eternal happiness"
~ Part of Ho-oh's description on Bulbapedia

If you recall, Ash saw Ho-oh fly over his head in the first episode. Ash was ten at this time. He was very happy at this point when he saw Ho-oh, possibly it was the happiest time of his life.

See where this is going yet?

Ash saw Ho-oh at this happy time in his life, and those who see Ho-oh are promised eternal happiness. So, when he saw Ho-oh, he was granted his eternal happiness, therefore he is stuck at age 10. Eternal Happiness.

Years
Hmm, while Pokemon General does deal with theories, since this one is anime exclusive, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Anime for you.

And it seems to be a few people that believe that Ho-oh may very well be the cause of Ash never seeming to age. I just chalk it up to the fact that it's an animated show- a fair amount of which don't have their characters age despite being around for a long time (25 seasons of The Simpsons is a perfect example). Still, it's a very interesting theory nonetheless.

MOVED.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Ash doesn't age because the show move to different but identical universe in every series .
Pokemon Anime is already divided itself into 2 universe -
-Original Mewtwo Universe
-New Mewtwo Universe

Question is , Which universe Does AG Ash ,DP Ash & XY Ash belong too !
His age never specify during those series So Ash could be 12 back then .
After all , This guy look same age as Ash but his actually 12 year old-
116px-Gao_body.png

I wonder what Ash from Original Mewtwo Universe doing ???

Last edited:

WAS

Years
The discoveries this thread has given me are not as exciting as I had hope they would be. :O Really? 10? After all that... "Time". I mean, in general we see night and day in almost every episode (if not more then one cycle), or every other, so it's been years!

Meh. I give up.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 23, 2015
The date of Ash's birth, according to Takeshi Shudo's anime novelizations, is 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days exactly prior to the day he began his Pokémon journey. Being that the same novelization declares that Pokémon Trainers obtain their first Pokémon in April of the year following their 10th birthday, and the anime itself began broadcast on the first of that month in 1997 in Japan, Ash's birthday, if April 1 was the first day of his journey, would be May 22.

Therefore, we can safely establish that ash is NOT an alien, and Ho-Oh can resurrect the dead so maybe that could have something to do with the Ho-Oh theory?

Empoleon6667

Gengar Fanboy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
Could Ash be in a coma?

Many people have been saying across the internet that in the anime Ash Ketchum (Sorry if I got the name wrong) could just be in a coma and all the adventures he had are just dreams after he fell off that bike in the first episode. But could it really be true? I think both. Here is why although there is some proof that this theory is true but It seems a little far fetched because, would the creators actually put that big of a plot twist. (That would be onixspected! now that was a good pun). This also explains why ash looks like he is always ten years old in the anime but most people think its because ash saw Ho-oh in the first episode too. Anyways what do you think about this? Could this really be true?

Years
Hey Empoleon6667, I know that Pokemon General deals with theories and the like, but we've actually got a board specifically discussing the Pokemon anime, so I'm going to move this thread over there for you (where it may end up getting merged into another thread discussing the topic of Ash's age).

And while the theory does seem to make some valid points, I've just never bought into it, seeing as it's just a cartoon/anime. Plenty of cartoons have been on the air for a long time (The Simpsons being a prime example), yet the characters never age, despite the fact they should be much older by now.

MOVED.

Back