• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age

pkmn mstr ketz

i love you too
Years
  • well, ithink the first episode was in something like 1997 or 98 so really he should be 20, especially as he's been travelling the globe for so long, but i think he is probably 14 or 15, cuz when they changed the voic actor, it sounded like his voice had broken.

joehat

Yay
    Years
  • I haven't watched any Diamond and Pearl yet, so can someone enlighten me as to whether Ash is taller than Dawn?

Misty was taller than Ash; and Ash was like just barely taller than May. I think when Misty returned for those three episodes in Hoenn, her and Ash were about the same height.

There's a lot of different theories here but..mine is that Ash died once. The episode with the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town, Ash died remember? He was brought back to life, and now he can't age. End of story. I think the PDD theory is kinda funny though haha.

Ash's apparent lack of aging is actually an easy explanation. If he aged, the kids who watch Pokemon wouldn't be able to relate to him. Ash's behavior throughout the series is consistent with that of a ten year old. He does one thing right, and gets extremely overconfident. He gets mad when he's not right, and runs off to be alone. He has a much, much bigger interest in Pokemon (and battling) than he does with girls. Several times throughout the series, a girl has had an attraction to Ash. He ignored them until they suggested a battle. (I can relate to stuff like that..back when I was ten, a girl would show interest in me, but I'd act indifferent. And then she'd be like, "Hey, let's see who can jump farthest off the swings!" and I'd be like "HELLS YEAH!")

Ash should be about 16 years old IMO. I just can't see travelling through 3 regions, the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier, and Ash only being 10 or 11 years old. Then again, the realization dawns on me that I'm watching a cartoon. Ooooohhhh. Right.

Two of the easiest ways to judge age in anime (especially in males) is by height or a beard. Adults are (usually) much taller than our main characters. Most mid-life adults or seniors will have beards. I remember seeing artwork for D/P once, and Brock had a small beard. I was like, whoah! Brock actually aged. But alas, that was for naught as I caught part of a D/P episode on TV a few weeks ago and Brock had no beard. Oh well.

Age is also pretty obvious among women in anime. Look at (Misty, May, Dawn), Jessie, and Ash's mom. The age difference is apparent. Speaking of Jessie, there was a Johto episode where she's talking to James about capturing Pikachu (haha that's like....every episode.....). James mentions that he's tired of chasing "the twerps". Jessie replies that they've been chasing them for "years", and that they can't give up now.

In a nutshell, Ash should be around 16, but he's really around 10-12. He remains in that age range so kids who watch the show can relate to him and the challenges he faces.

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
  • Ash's age will always be a classic debate. Funny, he's probably still considered ten, even though the show says that his Pikachu and him have been together at least a year.

I'd think he's at least 14 now.

His changed voice always brews jokes with one of my dearest friends. Ash hitting Puberty....wow

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • Techincally, he's between 10-11 as they nevr age and the purpose of the show is to have twn year olds travel the world and train beasts of power. In real life, as pokemon came out in 1995 (as said in my pokemon Red), he should be 24. However, he might be 15-17, though he doesn't look it, simply because season's pass in the show, even if a bit slowly...

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
  • This whole thing is like the Simpsons

THe shows been around for 20 years.

Bart still has yet to pass Grade 4 the same age

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Ash's age will always be a classic debate. Funny, he's probably still considered ten, even though the show says that his Pikachu and him have been together at least a year.

I'd think he's at least 14 now.

His changed voice always brews jokes with one of my dearest friends. Ash hitting Puberty....wow
    Yeah, but everyone's voice changed, it's only in the dub, Ash's voice remains the same in the original anime. Plus, it was a cast change no one, I repeat NO ONE in the anime has the same voice, except the pokemon that have the same voice in Japan, such as Pikachu.

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
  • Yeah, but everyone's voice changed, it's only in the dub, Ash's voice remains the same in the original anime. Plus, it was a cast change no one, I repeat NO ONE in the anime has the same voice, except the pokemon that have the same voice in Japan, such as Pikachu.
    The narrator has the same voice, and all of the Pokémon have their original voices, including the ones changed for English.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011
    I think Ash is either 13 or 14, you know I take the whole four regions as a year each so four regions four years

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    well, ithink the first episode was in something like 1997 or 98 so really he should be 20, especially as he's been travelling the globe for so long, but i think he is probably 14 or 15, cuz when they changed the voic actor, it sounded like his voice had broken.

Have you ever watched television before? "He should be 20" doesn't apply to Ash/Satoshi anymore than it applies to James Bond or Bart Simpson.

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    Each episode is a new day so if ash has been on his journey exactly 585 days so far and he was 10 years old when he started he is only exactly 11 years 7 months and 5 days old

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • Each episode is a new day so if ash has been on his journey exactly 585 days so far and he was 10 years old when he started he is only exactly11 years 7 months and 5 days old

first of all, i HIGHLY dought that everything happens day after day. second of all, some episodes last more then one day. third of all, there are plenty of instances where they mention a lapse of time. for example, when Ash and Misty got out of the viridian forest, they said that it had been two weeks. although they only had two episodes in the viridian forest.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • ^ Not true. So you're saying that Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh adventures only took 7 months to complete in total? Besides, some episodes show overnight stays.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2009
    Each episode is a new day so if ash has been on his journey exactly 585 days so far and he was 10 years old when he started he is only exactly11 years 7 months and 5 days old
    Hmmm...I'm sure this isn't the case...But then again, he hasn't really changed much.

Back