• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Pikachu

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023

One of Ash's first ever Pokémon was Pikachu; he started off with it. What are your thoughts on it? Do you like that it's accompaning Ash throughout his travels, or do you dislike it? If you don't like it, why not? Would you like it if it were replace with a different Pokémon for a season or two? If yes, then which would you choose and why? What if it were permanent? Also, Ash had once offered Pikachu to evolve, but unfortunately, it declined; how would you feel if it had a change of heart at some point in future, and decided to finally evolve?

NRG

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2015
    My only thought is:

How does a pikachu that's traveled many regions and battled loooads, including in pokemon leagues, lose to a level 5 snivy in the first episode of season 14.

(I've only ever watched series 1 and half of series 2 when I was young).

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Pikachu is awesome! I have been watching the black and white anime. Axew and Pikachu are my favorites. Pikachu and axew are now my favorite pokemon because of it. Pikachus sounds are cute and I like his personality. I hope they never evolve Pikachu, or the show will never be the same.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
  • Pikachu is a powerful monster destroying Rhydon with one Thunderbolt like that. :D

Lol, but in all seriousness, I like Pikachu. He has a mature personality and it's cute. Although I still wonder why Pikachu lost to a Snivy, and why did Ash switch Volt Tackle for Electro Ball.

It wouldn't really feel the same if it got replaced with another Pokemon so no I wouldn't want it to be replaced. As for evolution, I reckon since it's Ash's starter Pokemon, the evolution reflects as to how much the Pokemon's Trainer has grown. So I'd like to see Pikachu evolving in like the last Pokemon battle where Ash challenges the Champion. Kinda like the same way Charizard Mega Evolved in Origins. :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2020
    I think Pikachu is overused, but I think he is OK. I believe he is the only Pokemon who has traveled in any other regions besides Kanto.

Years
  • I think Ash needs Pikachu to be complete... But shouldn't Pikachu be like over level 100? Okay, this little guy took on Legendaries. It still loses to first gyms and level 5 Snivys. Yeah, it didn't have access to his electricity, but the fact is that Pikachu still had Iron Tail and Quick Attack, right? One hit of that should knock out Snivy right away. All Ash had to do was have Pikachu use Quick Attack to dodge, get behind Snivy, and Iron Tail its face. OR, catch Snivy's Vine Whip with Pikachu's paws [Ash's Pokemon caught attacks like 50 billion times in the past], pull Snivy close, and Iron Tail it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • You know, everyone keeps saying "oh it should be level 100" but really... no? The anime is bringing the Pokémon world to life. Pokémon are animals, and animals will get out of shape if they don't exercise/train, same as humans. So when a Pokémon is out of practice or hasn't been training or has taken a vacation, they're probably going to lose some power and speed at least.

Pika's pretty good imo. He used to show a lot more personality and I wish he did more so now, but he still has his moments. He's always the most responsible out of the main cast's Pokémon and that's cute, Papa Pikachu looking out for his charges.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I like Pikachu because he's Ash's link to all of the past seasons, more so now because Brock is absent. Pikachu is the one Pokémon that has been with Ash since the very beginning. Although Dedenne and Bonnie make a better pair :x (but that may be my bias toward Dedenne speaking).

You know, everyone keeps saying "oh it should be level 100" but really... no? The anime is bringing the Pokémon world to life. Pokémon are animals, and animals will get out of shape if they don't exercise/train, same as humans. So when a Pokémon is out of practice or hasn't been training or has taken a vacation, they're probably going to lose some power and speed at least.

Tbh I feel that was BW's purpose, using Pikachu sparingly for an entire series so it won't be OP by the time Ash arrived in Kalos and for future series. It makes sense that he isn't "level 100" by now because Ash focused more on his other Pokémon, just like DP. I mean, how many times did Pikachu even use an attack during Decolore? You could probably count it on one hand. But with Pikachu being trained in XY, I wonder how that will play out during the rest of the series and possibly the next generation?

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • Lol, but in all seriousness, I like Pikachu. He has a mature personality and it's cute. Although I still wonder why Pikachu lost to a Snivy, and why did Ash switch Volt Tackle for Electro Ball. :D

Pikachu switched it on his own remember those volt tackles hurt

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • My only thought is:

How does a pikachu that's traveled many regions and battled loooads, including in pokemon leagues, lose to a level 5 snivy in the first episode of season 14.

Exactly, this is what makes me annoyed at the series. That Pikachu should be at LEAST level 100, if not higher. (Can pokemon go higher in the anime?)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Exactly, this is what makes me annoyed at the series. That Pikachu should be at LEAST level 100, if not higher. (Can pokemon go higher in the anime?)
    Hi, yeah, did you choose to ignore my post? It's like right there.
    You know, everyone keeps saying "oh it should be level 100" but really... no? The anime is bringing the Pokémon world to life. Pokémon are animals, and animals will get out of shape if they don't exercise/train, same as humans. So when a Pokémon is out of practice or hasn't been training or has taken a vacation, they're probably going to lose some power and speed at least.
    Pokémon do not have levels in the anime. It's been talked about a few times but that was back in Kanto for your early-instalment weirdness. And occasionally someone will say like "that Pokémon must be a higher level" or some bs. But for reals, levels aren't really a thing. When they say that it's more like a rough gauge of power. If Pika was out of training for a while- as it seemed to be at the beginning of BW when Ash was heading out for a vacation- then it's perfectly reasonable that he would have lost to Snivy, especially after being further messed up by Zekrom.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Hi, yeah, did you choose to ignore my post? It's like right there.

Pokémon do not have levels in the anime. It's been talked about a few times but that was back in Kanto for your early-instalment weirdness. And occasionally someone will say like "that Pokémon must be a higher level" or some bs. But for reals, levels aren't really a thing. When they say that it's more like a rough gauge of power. If Pika was out of training for a while- as it seemed to be at the beginning of BW when Ash was heading out for a vacation- then it's perfectly reasonable that he would have lost to Snivy, especially after being further messed up by Zekrom.

Oh....wow that's embarrassing...sorry about that. That makes a lot of sense, thank for clearing that up ^.^

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Oh....wow that's embarrassing...sorry about that. That makes a lot of sense, thank for clearing that up ^.^
    Aw no sorry I was a bit snappish. ^^; I just see everyone all the time saying things about levels and like... the anime is adapting game mechanics into a living world, and levels just ain't gonna fly there.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
  • Pokémon do not have levels in the anime.

Idk about this. I think levels is just another way of saying how much experience the Pokemon has at battling. Which brings more power, stamina and tactics in battling as they are used to it. It's why Pokemon Champions mons like Alder's Bouffalant are so powerful.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Aw no sorry I was a bit snappish. ^^; I just see everyone all the time saying things about levels and like... the anime is adapting game mechanics into a living world, and levels just ain't gonna fly there.

It's all good :) So another question, can trainer's modify pokemon such as the moves they learn and the ability's they have? Ex: The dancer dude's Starmie in the first season who learned Thunder, or Thunderbolt by spinning in a circle, or the Crystal Onix who was resistant to water. How were they able to gain these ability's? Did some breeder have an Onix, pour a little water on him everyday, slowly adding more water. Then breed that Onix, with the new baby being a bit water resistant etc. until a fully water resistant Onix came to being?(I know this sounds a bit stupid/far-fetched)

If Ash would have a heavy training sessions in speed could Pikachu *potentially* learn Extremespeed? (Sorry if this was a bit off topic)

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    My only thought is:

the same reason ashs charizard lost to blaziken; because hes stupid.

i mean you have a CHARIZARD DUDE!! instead of using fighting and fire type moves like seismic toss and flamethrower maybe try using fly genius?

Years
  • ^ That would make for a terrible episode with its lack of suspense, though.

Idk about this. I think levels is just another way of saying how much experience the Pokemon has at battling. Which brings more power, stamina and tactics in battling as they are used to it. It's why Pokemon Champions mons like Alder's Bouffalant are so powerful.

It's implied that Alder consistently does rigorous training despite all the traveling around to festivals he does, since he likely lives off of the income he gets for appearance he makes as Champion and can use all the time he's not making appearances to train.

It's all good :) So another question, can trainer's modify pokemon such as the moves they learn and the ability's they have? Ex: The dancer dude's Starmie in the first season who learned Thunder, or Thunderbolt by spinning in a circle, or the Crystal Onix who was resistant to water. How were they able to gain these ability's? Did some breeder have an Onix, pour a little water on him everyday, slowly adding more water. Then breed that Onix, with the new baby being a bit water resistant etc. until a fully water resistant Onix came to being?(I know this sounds a bit stupid/far-fetched)

If Ash would have a heavy training sessions in speed could Pikachu *potentially* learn Extremespeed? (Sorry if this was a bit off topic)

I think the anime team has limits on how far they'll deviate from game mechanics, so I think fully water resistant Onixes are not likely, nor would Extremespeed be possible, especially since it's not a featured move added to Pikachu.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    for those of you who mentioned pokemon dont have levels in the anime (too many to quote) they do. the trainers however are unaware. i remember vaguely that there was one episode or a movie or something when ashs pokemon were seperated from him on an island and at one point one of them (im pretty sure it was charmander or squirtle) asked about the others levels or something along the lines. the pokemon are aware of their levels but trainers dont know jack about it nor do they care evidently.

also its been mentioned several times throughout the series by characters and meowth

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • It's all good :) So another question, can trainer's modify pokemon such as the moves they learn and the ability's they have? Ex: The dancer dude's Starmie in the first season who learned Thunder, or Thunderbolt by spinning in a circle, or the Crystal Onix who was resistant to water. How were they able to gain these ability's? Did some breeder have an Onix, pour a little water on him everyday, slowly adding more water. Then breed that Onix, with the new baby being a bit water resistant etc. until a fully water resistant Onix came to being?(I know this sounds a bit stupid/far-fetched)

Well, Starmie are fully capable of learning Thunder or Thunderbolt by TM. Since slapping a disc on a Pokémon's forehead is probably not going to work outside of a game, the trainers teach it using various techniques. Same with Iron Tail and Bullet Seed and even moves that are learned upon level-up in-game. Pokémon are restricted to their in-game movepool, but they can learn any of those moves through training and dedication.

The Crystal Onix is a little different- in theory, Onix is made out of various types of rock. Presumably rock is weak to water due to erosion and all. But in this case, its body is made of diamond or crystal- maybe it was the last of an ancient evolutionary branch of Onix or something. But the properties of those stones make it less susceptible to erosion (i guess), so it can live in and resist water at least more than a normal Onix.

for those of you who mentioned pokemon dont have levels in the anime (too many to quote) they do. the trainers however are unaware. i remember vaguely that there was one episode or a movie or something when ashs pokemon were seperated from him on an island and at one point one of them (im pretty sure it was charmander or squirtle) asked about the others levels or something along the lines. the pokemon are aware of their levels but trainers dont know jack about it nor do they care evidently.

also its been mentioned several times throughout the series by characters and meowth
    As I previously stated, most of those mentions were early-series. Island of the Giant Pokémon was wayyyyy back in Kanto. When those in the anime say "levels", it's a very vague thing that refers to unspecified power levels- you could just as well rephrase the comment with "that pokemon is more powerful than the other."

Back