• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

At what age, you interest in watching anime starting to dwindle?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    Majority of people will stop watching anime at some point. It might be because you have work, family
    life, commit to other activity such as playing video games etc..

And Dont say You will NEVER stop watching anime, especially if you are teenage to young adult.

I have been teenager before and i was thinking the same. Now I would rather playing video game
    than watch anime because my brain can not stand childish nature of anime and it doesn't hold my interest anymore. I also don't like subtitle. I used to say subtitle is ok but when you have heard enough
    language that you don't understand. you start to feel tried and numb

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • That's kinda...idk, that's not really true. I stopped watching anime for five-six years. Now I'm 19 and my love has reignited again. I don't think I'll stop watching it. And anime isn't stupid. Plenty of 'intellectual' stuff out there like in any other medium. Just because you prefer video games doesn't mean anime automatically becomes childish.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Whilst it is true that a lot of people lose interest in things they love as they grow older, it's not a rule that they definitely will, or that their interest won't reignite later. I've had months over the last few years where I haven't watched any anime at all, because nothing has appealed to me...then I've found myself wanting to watch something and suddenly I have a huge backlog of shows I want to see.

Also, a lot of anime is hardly childish...I wouldn't expose a child to Hellsing, for example, and shows like Steins;Gate have quite rich and complex storylines that aren't specifically aimed at young children. It's all a matter of finding something that appeals to you.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • my brain can not stand childish nature of anime

Stop watching childish ones then.

I used to say subtitle is ok but when you have heard enough
    language that you don't understand. you start to feel tried and numb

Subtitles are fine even if it's your first time hearing a language. Reading is not a hard thing to do. I really doubt it tires out most people. Also if that really is the case there are plenty of dubbed series available.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • At what age do you stop watching movies? At what age do you stop watching TV shows? Watching anime isn't different from those. Age has little to do with people stopping. Some people stop because they've "everything" worth watching (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, GitS, Golden Boy etc), while some people stop watching anime because anime is for nerds and they wanna be cool kids. I'm of course talking about cases I know about.

Personally, I'll never stop. I've been watching anime on TV since I can remember, and started watching subbed ones actively since 2008. If anything, after all those years, my interest is bigger, because at this point you know what's good and what's not good, and I have a ton of those good shows to watch. Now I wish I stopped watching bad anime for the lulz, because some can easily kill your motivation. I think I haven't watched anime for 2-3 weeks after watching Wake Up Girls.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • dogtree said:
    Majority of people will stop watching anime at some point. It might be because you have work, family life, commit to other activity such as playing video games etc..

And Dont say You will NEVER stop watching anime, especially if you are teenage to young adult.

As much as people stop watching anime, they just stop temporarily because they don't have the time to watch, and will be back to watching when life-related things are out of the way. I know, cause I'm a young adult, and I've been on and off in watching because life is in the way.

dogtree said:
    Now I would rather playing video game than watch anime because my brain can not stand childish nature of anime

Childish? You'll be surprised at how many anime that are actually deep in plot, that can actually make you cry over it. The way you say it, you actually think video games aren't childish. Sorry to break it to you, but there definitely ARE games that are childish, it's just that you never realize they exist.

dogtree said:
    I also don't like subtitle. I used to say subtitle is ok but when you have heard enough language that you don't understand, you start to feel tried and numb.

Things called "dubs" exist. If you feel tired listening to a foreign language, they still exist. Plus, some of the anime fans DO learn Japanese? It actually makes my Japanese speech (at school) much more fluent than my classmates, to the point they consult to me whenever there's a test.

Plus, let me tell you this: you played video games when you were young. You're still playing them now, albeit not the same games as your child-self played. Same goes with those who loves to watch anime. Their spark won't dwindle completely just like that.

There will be a time when life finally takes over and I won't be able to watch anymore, but until that time, my spark won't fade. P:

Years
  • I was 17 when I lost intereset in animes somehow but this only last two years with 19 I start watching animes again.
    I think you canot say that someone canot say "You will NEVER stop watching anime,"
    Because Animes can be like any other show in the TV all have new storys some are good some not.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Stopped watching anime for an year back when I was sixteen or so, as I was growing a bit… tired of them. D: Used to watch them very often, so I sort of needed a break to refresh myself. Then, I started watching again, but this time, I limited myself so that I could my interest in more of a balanced level.

Jessze

nerdin' around
    Years
  • Anime is a lifestyle for me. There are SO many different levels of intensity & genres, that it makes no sense to just "grow" out of them. Yeah, they do take a bit more consideration & sometimes patience to watch, especially if you're not Japanese, or aren't used to the culture.. But they're not all "childish", and some of them can actually be pretty disturbing, even if it is only cartoon violence.

Admittedly, I might lose interest over time, but I feel like it wouldn't be hard to jump back in if I really needed to, especially if I'm feeling down (Anime has a way of just washing over all my negative feelings. I watch it a lot when I'm depressed, specifically to cheer myself up).

I have gone months at a time without watching any anime at all.. But I always end up popping back into the stream over time. I've been watching anime since I was 12, and even now that I'm about to turn 19, I am still very much in love with a lot of them, and have even learned quite a bit of Japanese just from watching so many episodes in subtitles xD

Besides, many of the best games & technology that we get in the United States (and probably the UK too) originate from Japan. Pokemon itself is a Japanese game (it even has its own anime), and is meant for children no matter how much you look at it xD And there are other Japanese games spread around that are meant for older ages, like Final Fantasy, Xenoblade Chronicles, and many of the better adventure games.

So I wouldn't say gaming is much of an escape, lol.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Things called "dubs" exist. If you feel tired listening to a foreign language, they still exist. Plus, some of the anime fans DO learn Japanese? It actually makes my Japanese speech (at school) much more fluent than my classmates, to the point they consult to me whenever there's a test.
    I hear you =D I'm the same =D

So I wouldn't say gaming is much of an escape, lol.
    Well... you must avoid JRPGs if you want to escape anime =D

Jessze

nerdin' around
    Years
  • Well... you must avoid JRPGs if you want to escape anime =D

Very true! xD But who doesn't enjoy a good RPG every now & then? Our country's game makers honestly don't seem to put out enough Adventure/Story-based games anymore :\ It's all FPS and Racing, or Grand Theft Auto or whatnot, pffff. We really need to take a hint or two from Japan if you ask me, haha.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Very true! xD But who doesn't enjoy a good RPG every now & then? Our country's game makers honestly don't seem to put out enough Adventure/Story-based games anymore :\ It's all FPS and Racing, or Grand Theft Auto or whatnot, pffff. We really need to take a hint or two from Japan if you ask me, haha.
    Of course! In my case, it's like 80% of my games are JRPGs =D
    In terms of storyline, JRPGs are one of the best =D

Years
  • Hm, I went through a phase where multiple seasons of anime series never interested me so I took a hiatus from watching; that was probably during university before my friend came along, who I didn't know was an avid anime watcher came along, and brought me back into the scene XD So even at 20, I still have an interest in anime, but it's just that there are very little of them that actually intrigue me enough to watch the whole series. Majority of the time, I will eventually lose that interest within a matter of few episodes \: It's a bad habit of mine or it could be a consequence of having a minute attention span :c

Saber of Yellow

King of Knights
    Years
  • Not gonna lie...I don't think I'll ever stop watching anime.

Not enough time? I'll make time! I have tons of more anime and manga to watch so I don't think I'll be running out of a content to watch/read any time soon.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Losing interest in anime isn't related to age, just related to where you are in life, just like most things. Like a lot of people, I've been on and off with anime from 14 or so on, currently in an off cycle but hopefully will be able to switch back to on when my schedule allows for it.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I watch anime a lot. Unless I get stuck doing one thing, like right now I'm in the habit of getting on PC daily and spending my home time here. A few months ago I was playing Clash Of Clans nonstop. In the time between now and then, I was watching anime nonstop so I could get caught up. I hate getting behind in anime but I hate not being able to watch it episode after episode after episode for days. So really I've never lost interest at any given time, it's just put on the back burner.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I imagine I'll stop watching anime whenever they stop producing it. Even then, there is enough material on my plan-to-watch list to tackle sometime. If there's a good story to see and I have the free time at the current point of my life, I want to watch anime.

Back