• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Australians Rejoice? Tony Abbott removed as Prime Minister, succeeded by Malcolm Turnbull.

Years
    Finally it's over! I am so pleased to be rid of Tony Abbott. Hopefully this means that the Liberal government will be able to get itself back on track and we'll see some positive change around here. Turnbull has always had a lot of political drive and we definitely needed a fresh start.

I'm hoping this will mark if not an end, at least a pause to the problem of in-party power struggles we've been plagued with over the last few years too.

Years
    I'm with Gimme here. Abbott had always been letting down the country, from voting against same-sex marriage and breaking tons of promises so it was expected he was going to get kicked out sooner or later.

What I hope to expect from the change in leadership is that we can finally turn around from all the problems we suffered when Abbott was in government.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    The other side of it though, is that if Turnbull does better than Abbott, it is ultimately worse. Abbott's presence assured Labor a win at the next election. That win is no longer a guarantee.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I'm with Andy there, now that's scary.

Abbott looked like someone straight out of the 30s, I have no clue how he managed to win an election. All I have heard about this Parliament is stupid measures like increasing carbon emissions, wars on budgets and supply, a sttuborn opposition to same-sex marriage that led him to undo a legalisation in ACT and other similar measures that make Australia the Tea Partiers' paradise. Good riddance, good luck with Turnbull.

Though Australia has a problem with overthrowing sitting Prime Ministers. How many times in the past four years? 3?

Years
    The other side of it though, is that if Turnbull does better than Abbott, it is ultimately worse. Abbott's presence assured Labor a win at the next election. That win is no longer a guarantee.

Labor's not exactly any better, they're just as conniving and break just as many promices and have tendencies to strain our economy... not to mention there's basically always some sort of internal power struggle going on. I'm not willing to hand things over to the Labor party until I'm satisfied that they can run themselves, if not I don't think they're capable of running a country. Labor was just the lesser of two evils with Abbott around.

I'm with Andy there, now that's scary.

Abbott looked like someone straight out of the 30s, I have no clue how he managed to win an election. All I have heard about this Parliament is stupid measures like increasing carbon emissions, wars on budgets and supply, a sttuborn opposition to same-sex marriage that led him to undo a legalisation in ACT and other similar measures that make Australia the Tea Partiers' paradise. Good riddance, good luck with Turnbull.

Though Australia has a problem with overthrowing sitting Prime Ministers. How many times in the past four years? 3?

Hopefully Turnbull's drive - and from what I've read smarts - will be the proactive push our government needs. It would be nice to see the Liberal party turn into a functioning and effective group once again.

We do seem to have something of an issue with our PMs getting kicked out.

Years
    Australia's always a slut for a new Prime Minister.

This. It's like the people of this country have always been dissatisfied with Prime Ministers but let's hope Turnbull doesn't suffer because I think he'll bring the change we need. In fact what's even more unsettling is that the last time we had a Prime Minister serve a full term, the iPhone wasn't even a thing yet.

Years
    This is a rather amazing quote.

It is, and in the years since we have been remembered more as a country that is a revolving door of leaders so I hope that the so-called revolving door stops now. I even saw a post on Tumblr that someone has been comparing it to the Harry Potter series where the Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts was replaced in every instalment.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Labor's not exactly any better, they're just as conniving and break just as many promices and have tendencies to strain our economy... not to mention there's basically always some sort of internal power struggle going on. I'm not willing to hand things over to the Labor party until I'm satisfied that they can run themselves, if not I don't think they're capable of running a country. Labor was just the lesser of two evils with Abbott around.

The connivingness (word?) and back-stabbing and internal power struggles have never bothered me. I actually find them kind of exciting. I actually really respected Julia Gillard for what she did, while everybody else was talking about how deplorable it was. Even if it was self-serving, it took guts and charisma to pull off and that's something I admire.

I feel the same way about Malcolm Turnbull, but I feel that regardless of who's in charge, Labor has always been and will always be the lesser of two evils. I recognise that that comes from my bias against conservative government parties, but the most "harmful" thing I remember Labor doing was introducing the carbon tax, and it was only harmful because it turned public opinion against them. I actually agreed with it as someone who cares about the planet.

Years
    The connivingness (word?) and back-stabbing and internal power struggles have never bothered me. I actually find them kind of exciting. I actually really respected Julia Gillard for what she did, while everybody else was talking about how deplorable it was. Even if it was self-serving, it took guts and charisma to pull off and that's something I admire.

I feel the same way about Malcolm Turnbull, but I feel that regardless of who's in charge, Labor has always been and will always be the lesser of two evils. I recognise that that comes from my bias against conservative government parties, but the most "harmful" thing I remember Labor doing was introducing the carbon tax, and it was only harmful because it turned public opinion against them. I actually agreed with it as someone who cares about the planet.

Quite frankly I don't particularly like either of them. Our Liberal Party isn't even remotely Liberal and our Labor Party isn't even remotely capable of running a country unless the aim is into the ground. The one thing Abbott was ever right about is that our economy tends to not do as well under Labor leadership.

Really though neither of them do much to deal with any of the actual problems facing our country. It's high time a party outside the major parties was voted in. Personally I think the Greens wouldn't be a bad option.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    I'm not a person of politics, but I sometimes heard my mom ranting about Abbott. Finally, all the noise from her is gone. Let's just hope our new PM makes good decisions.

Back