• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism, Aspergers syndrome etc.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    MATURE DISCUSSION ONLY. NO INSULTS/FLAMING/BASHING.

I have been thinking that there may be some people on PC that have disorders such as Autism, Aspergers syndrome, ADHD, or whatever. (i should think any kind of disability fits in the criteria of this thread ^__^) So i made this for people to talk about it, and talk to other people who seem to be, shall we say, "in the same boat "

I might aswell start. I have very mild autism. This was more of a problem for me when i was younger, as i had to go to speech therapy and stuff. but now It's almost like it was never there! ^^

Now we can carry on and maturely discuss. If this thread gets out of hand (which i really don't want it to) i'll tell Chibi/Driflloon/ whoever can to close it.

EDIT: if you have a family member/friend who has a certain disorder/whatever, feel free to mention. This doesn't just have to be about you ^^

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I've got Asperger's Syndrome, and also a form of manic-depression.

Shoot, I could go on for days talking about it.

One of the most annoying things I have to deal with is that 90% of people I meet IRL have never even heard of it, let alone what it's about. So you can imagine how often I have to explain it, which is anything but fun because most people don't take it seriously or act skeptical. This is why I still haven't worked up the nerve to actively find and meet new people.

I think the absolute worst part of Asperger's is not the lack of others' awareness, but the severely hindered variety of foods I can eat without having a gag reflex. Not only is it the part people are least likely to believe/take seriously, it's detrimental to both my health and my ability to attend social events or eat with people at all unless I trust that they completely understand. In the star sign thread I said that I hate food, eat it mostly just to live, and would never ever diet, contrary to the Libra description. This is why. My diet is one I cannot afford to limit further. I eat mainly meats, breads/pasta, and dairy, and even within those there are definite limits. The textures in plant matter like fruits and vegetables are almost always the kind to set off the gag reflex. Only bananas, apples, watermelon, carrots, and sweet corn are plants I can eat, and even so, they must be perfect or I can't. I can't eat things with a very soft and creamy texture like soft ice cream, yogurt, etc., or things that consist of "chunks" suspended in a liquid, like stew, soup, etc. Flavors have just as much an impact as textures, so I don't drink fruit juice or eat things with too strong a flavor. I don't eat things with strong odors, either, unless of course it's a good odor.

My other senses are ultra-sensitive, too. I can smell something foul in a room and no one else can smell it. I am more easily put off by smells than others are. Same with noise. I don't think there is another 20-year-old alive who has as low a tolerance for noise as I have. A college student who hates noise sounds pretty far fetched. People get mad at me often because I can't just ignore unpleasant noise. My sense of touch is more acute as well, and thus my skin is a lot more irritable and irritations are much harder to ignore.

One more annoying thing is that most 'neurotypical' folks don't know what social cues are when I explain that I'm still learning to read them, because they don't have to. The ability to pick them up is natural to them, so it's taken for granted.

The last thing is my lack of decent gross motor coordination. This is what absolutely killed me in P.E. growing up, and is one of the major causes of my hatred of competitive sports. I went to a college-prep private school most of my life, and one of the things it emphasized was athletics. Since Kindegarten I had been pitted against all the other kids, every one of which was athletic. I probably would have been, too, if I could actually throw, kick, run, or do any of the other things involved at least on par with average people.

Ok, onto positive stuff. Nothing is without balance, at least in my opinion.

I don't know what my actual IQ is, but I'm fairly certain it's at least above average. I have the ability to almost naturally understand completely new information on a more complex level rather by starting out with it being put into layman's terms. For this reason, I cannot pass information on to others in layman's terms, so as much as I wish I could, I'd be no good for teaching or tutoring. I also almost never need to take notes during a lecture, because most information is automatically committed to memory, and have almost never studied for tests in my life. The downside to this "learning through osmosis," as I call it, is that quite a lot of people don't believe me at first, and because memory persists, I have to deal with hearing things repeated over and over between quarters, and in the past have had to go through entire classes worth of things I'd learned before, like for instance my high school taught quite a lot of things I still remembered from middle school. I guess regular folks really need repetition to learn.

I have the ability to pick up skills all over the map with about the same amount of ease/effort, be they left-brained things like math, science, computers, or other logic-based things, or right-brained things like arts, artisan craft, language, etc.

As many downsides as there are to Asperger's, I wouldn't trade my intelligence for anything. It's who I am.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    Hear hear! ^__^ I would never trade Autism for anything, myself. No matter what downside there has been for me, it's made things interesting for me, too. Although i have a lot less problems than i used to, just little things. I will NEVER drink from another persons cup/bottle after they have, even if they have wiped the lid. :P My parenats encouraged me to open up to people, though.

Unlike you, who says they pick up on new skills with ease, I am very good at things i am interested in. I have a very adept memory for things i focus on. but not other things :) One of my best freinds has more serious Aspergers syndrome, and i know he has books on social skills, etc.i used to have these when i was younger. did you, by any chance? ^_^ just wondering

matt561

Your French Charizard
    Years
    Wow i am surprised i thought i was a freak having quite bad aspergers when i was a kid

But like most of you guys find out we grow into it more than anything dont we

star88

colour blind artist [no joke]
    Years
    my brother has autism and adhd, he is quiet high on the spectrum and so is often in a rage for no reason and will often hit people. i know it can be quiet hard to cope with weather you have it your self or your siblings have it. i also want to point out that everyone is on the autistic spectrum some where even those seemingly normal people.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    my brother has autism and adhd, he is quiet high on the spectrum and so is often in a rage for no reason and will often hit people. i know it can be quiet hard to cope with weather you have it your self or your siblings have it. i also want to point out that everyone is on the autistic spectrum some where even those seemingly normal people.

Thats exactly what i was told ^__^ that everyone is on the autistic spectrum SOMEWHERE. It made me feel a lot better :)

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Hear hear! ^__^ I would never trade Autism for anything, myself. No matter what downside there has been for me, it's made things interesting for me, too. Although i have a lot less problems than i used to, just little things. I will NEVER drink from another persons cup/bottle after they have, even if they have wiped the lid. :P My parenats encouraged me to open up to people, though.

Unlike you, who says they pick up on new skills with ease, I am very good at things i am interested in. I have a very adept memory for things i focus on. but not other things :) One of my best freinds has more serious Aspergers syndrome, and i know he has books on social skills, etc.i used to have these when i was younger. did you, by any chance? ^_^ just wondering

I'm very fickle, so you could say I'm good at the things I'm interested in, because most everything is in some way interesting to me. I love learning. One of my friends often calls me "handy" because of my versatility.

I've had a few books on Asperger's or social skills. I love books, but not in the same way people generally do. People who are considered bookworms or avid readers generally read novels and fiction. I, on the other hand, am a bookworm of non-fiction and reference books like encyclopedias instead. I've always known things far beyond my years ever since I learned to read, because my comprehension is much higher than average, so when all the other kids were into dinosaurs or outer space for the usual reasons, I buried myself in the nitty-gritty science, because I understood it and it fascinated me. I even knew how babies developed in the womb step-by-step with all the jargon intact at age 7... I just wasn't told how the baby got there in the first place XD

Looking back, I sometimes wonder why I ended up as an artist/designer, though I've also loved drawing and painting since those days, too.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Well, my high school friend has autism. He is very silent and also quite imaginative. Although sometimes he gets weird and funny sometimes. Never thought that the disease got hold of his imaginative skills.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
    I have mild A.D.D. Most of my friends have some amount of A.D.D. too. One of my friends has A.D.H.D. He's known as the angery midgit. Anyways I often find my self staring out in to space for no reason. And some times when I come back into reality, I find I've been staring at someone. Not plesent. Anyways the only things I find that keep my attention for a while is a good book. Although some times I get distracted form that too.

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
    Kinarii, I love you. You're almost exactly like me. Time for the commentary, and then we can be best friends forever.

One of the most annoying things I have to deal with is that 90% of people I meet IRL have never even heard of it, let alone what it's about. So you can imagine how often I have to explain it, which is anything but fun because most people don't take it seriously or act skeptical. This is why I still haven't worked up the nerve to actively find and meet new people.

Exactly. If the event occurs where I have to tell someone that I'm autistic, I usually just say 'autistic'. Only two people I've ever told about Asperger's have known what it was. Usually, I just tell them to go home and Google it. Otherwise, I don't even bother.

Kinarii said:
    I think the absolute worst part of Asperger's is not the lack of others' awareness, but the severely hindered variety of foods I can eat without having a gag reflex.

This happens to me also, but only with a couple of foods. I can't have anything with a creamy texture and things suspended in the texture, unless it's something I've tasted without the stuff, like brownie mix with sugar lumps. I've tasted chocolate, and I've tasted sugar. Therefore, I can eat both together without choking because I've tasted each seperately and my brain has determined that I enjoy them both. But I can't eat chowder. I just can't. My mom fed me some once and I just sat there and tried to swallow it. It wasn't so much the taste - that would qualify it as a normal dislike of the food - as much as I just couldn't take the consistency.

My mom made me and my siblings carrot juice once on one of her 'healthy kicks'. She stuck carrots in a Magic Blender thingy and sliced them into a sort of milkshake. Only thing was...it wasn't liquid. It was quite literally, carrot mush. With some parts of carrot still in it. It tasted awful, but my other siblings drank it anyway. My mom was yelling at me to drink it, and I finally did, but I had to stop every couple seconds to get it down. It seriously felt like I was going to throw up.

Anywho, that's a bit graphic. I'll move on. However, I don't think my mom knows about the gag reflex thing. Even if I told her, she'd say it's just an excuse. (That's the kind of person my mom is. She's into mainstreaming me and getting me to act 'like everybody else', which I suppose has happened since no one really knows about my condition. But she favors my sister, the cheerleader, over me because she's perfectly fine and she's a cheerleader. Being an Aspie, I'm the writer/singer/artist of the family, and my mom is the kind of person who wishes she were a cheerleader and popular and just shuns the 'different' kids, like me. Even if I am her own daughter.)

Kinarii said:
    My other senses are ultra-sensitive, too.

I don't have a good enough sense of smell, actually. I have these annoying allergies or something that are always, always present. My constant voice is a nasal-sounding one. I'm thinking of getting surgery. (Though, truthfully, the nasal sound isn't that bad. You don't much notice it.)

However, I see things that no one else does. It's actually kind of frightening. I suppose you could chalk it up to just awful vision or strain on the eyes, but I'll see something in my peripheral vision and there won't be anything there. Or I'll see these silver streaks across the walls, like glitter or something. That might be because of eye strain. I don't know. I see floaters, or whatever it's called when you see cells perfectly fine, so it might be related it to that.

The really weird thing is that I'll dream something, and then it will happen. I tend to forget a lot of my dreams, so I won't know that it was in my dream until it happens. Although sometimes I can remember some of my dreams and I'll think something is going to happen and then it does. Weird, right? Like extreme deja vu.

I think my thought sense is pretty developed too. For instance, I can comprehend what 'forever' is, if only for a couple seconds. It might be different for others of the same thought process, but I imagine a really long winding thing that looks like a movie strip. Like those old things they put in the movie camera, the film rolls. It's weird. But anywho, the background is usually gold and the strip goes on 'forever', each seperate scene representing a seperate day. That way, for maybe four seconds, I can comprehend the idea of 'forever'. I am fascinated with black holes and things that defy matter and gravity, and I actually sat down and listened to a Stephen Hawking CD while my uncle was doing something on the computer and understood some of what he was talking about. It's really strange. Has anyone else ever thought like this? (That does require an answer, people. I would enjoy seeing that I'm not the only crazy one xP)

Kinarii said:
    One more annoying thing is that most 'neurotypical' folks don't know what social cues are when I explain that I'm still learning to read them, because they don't have to. The ability to pick them up is natural to them, so it's taken for granted.

That's one of my biggest problems. People think I'm a little strange because I try to act like a normal person, but it doesn't work. When writing I usually rest my head on my hand in an unusual fashion, or I won't walk like a normal teenage girl does. I mostly walk with my feet pointing somewhat diagonal instead of putting one foot in front of the other. (And soon you'll be walking out the-

*is shot*)

My ex told me that was one of the reasons he liked me, that I didn't walk like all the stuck-up divas or whatever. I thought it was a bit strange at the time but I didn't say anything xP

Kinarii said:
    The last thing is my lack of decent gross motor coordination. This is what absolutely killed me in P.E. growing up, and is one of the major causes of my hatred of competitive sports. I went to a college-prep private school most of my life, and one of the things it emphasized was athletics. Since Kindegarten I had been pitted against all the other kids, every one of which was athletic. I probably would have been, too, if I could actually throw, kick, run, or do any of the other things involved at least on par with average people.

I went to a college-prep private school too, but then I moved to homeschool and finally a public school. Now I'm in a private school again, but it's honors. Anywho, in the CP private school we always used to play four-square and race and whatever it is little kids do at recess. I'd get mad and hit all the other kids or throw the ball at someone. I had the strength, I just didn't know how to apply it. I don't run the right way, but one thing I'd like to emphasize is that when people see that sentence, they might automatically think 'oh, they're just mentally retarded, they run all weird'. But I don't. I just don't have the right arm movements, etc. that everyone else does. I can run, just not fast. I finally found a sport I love in volleyball, mostly because all it requires me to do is stand there, maybe run a few feet, and pound things, which is what I did for most of my childhood anyway. (Too bad I didn't discover volleyball earlier. That would have been my anger management right there.)

Kinarii said:
    I don't know what my actual IQ is, but I'm fairly certain it's at least above average.

Yeah, Aspie's are supposed to have above-average. Mine is 137, but I don't use most of it. I just don't feel like it most of the time. I have reason to be angry at the situation I'm in, and it doesn't really make sense to me why I have to go from a CP public school to an honors private school and be expected to get straight A's, just because I have a genius-level IQ.

Kinarii said:
    I have the ability to almost naturally understand completely new information on a more complex level rather by starting out with it being put into layman's terms. I also almost never need to take notes during a lecture, because most information is automatically committed to memory, and have almost never studied for tests in my life.

One of my friends asks me every week, "Have you studied for the Spanish test?" My answer is always no, the reason mainly being that I look at the words, see things in them that will help me understand what the English word is that it stands for. Foreign languages come extremely easy to me. (I'm failing English, though, which is fairly oxymoronic.) She's amazed that I have an A- in the class without needing to study. I just shrug, because once I hear it, it's there. No notes for me...I can remember nearly everything I've learned from kindergarten through 11th grade (which is what I'm in now). It frustrates me when they think they need to teach us the same information again and again. It's probably normal for regular people. Just annoying for me.

Overall, though, I do enjoy being 'different', which I suppose is another trait of the autism, and wouldn't want to become 'like everyone else'. I started out somewhat popular in the beginning of the year and dropped it: I've seen what those people are like. I don't want to be them. I don't care if the whole school calls me weird. I have freshmen friends that act just as crazy as me (although none of them have autism) and if people think I'm an unusual person, I just tell myself I can't change myself. It doesn't work that way. I went to therapy to try and read social cues, and even though that sped it up a bit, it didn't do that much. One of my friends from therapy moved and then moved back eight years later, and we met each other at school, which was like this huge coincidence. Considering my school was 2400+ students, and he was 1. He's a druggie/whore/gay, so I guess you can be whoever you want to be, but I still love him. He's my BFF and that won't ever change. But I guess some people can pick it up a lot better. He's the most popular guy in school (so it's kinda cool to be his BFF - unfortunately, we moved so bye bye popularity by association). However he's popular because he's weird and outgoing. He'll try anything. I'm well-liked by the freshman, sophomores, and seniors. (The whole junior class are catty, obnoxious, gossiping, rich, spoiled brats.) I've got friends. So I'm okay. (Stealing a line from Fullmoon Wo Sagashiite.) Even if I do have a strange obsession with anime/manga yet still be the most developed girl in my class. (Gets kind of annoying when you know people want what you have but you don't really understand why.)

I won't get too personal, though. What I'm trying to say is that it's really confusing for us a lot of the time, but the main thing is that I'm happy with who I am. I don't want to be the same as anyone else. (Though I still do want to look pretty and have a boyfriend and walk on the beach together and normal stuff like that.) I don't care that I love standing in the rain, even if I get cold. I went out the other day when there was one of those really weird-looking storms and this huge cloud was over one part of the sky and the other part was sunny. And I danced. I danced in the rain and just kind of let it wash over me, and then I just stood there, arms out and eyes closed and letting it pour over me.

I'm weird, I know ^^;

But it felt good. It gave me a feeling I've gotten a few times before, where I feel like I'm part of everything. Kinda like zen or nirvana. It was amazing. I go out in thunderstorms whenever I can. Even though I have all this weird behavior, I really don't care. I think it's cool. And sometimes people respect me for being my own person and not caring what people think. So it's all okay.

That's the end of my long rant. These are feelings I've kept inside for a long time and now they're out.

*holds up target* Yay! Here comes the thrown fruit!

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Kinarii, I love you. You're almost exactly like me. Time for the commentary, and then we can be best friends forever.
    Aww... :3 Here, you can join me on my throne as queen of text-walls! Yay for having a lot to say!

Usually, I just tell them to go home and Google it.

Yeah. I've only explained it to about a thousand people already. Time to let them do the work. >:3

This happens to me also, but only with a couple of foods. I can't have anything with a creamy texture and things suspended in the texture, unless it's something I've tasted without the stuff, like brownie mix with sugar lumps. I've tasted chocolate, and I've tasted sugar. Therefore, I can eat both together without choking because I've tasted each seperately and my brain has determined that I enjoy them both. But I can't eat chowder. I just can't. My mom fed me some once and I just sat there and tried to swallow it. It wasn't so much the taste - that would qualify it as a normal dislike of the food - as much as I just couldn't take the consistency.

My mom made me and my siblings carrot juice once on one of her 'healthy kicks'. She stuck carrots in a Magic Blender thingy and sliced them into a sort of milkshake. Only thing was...it wasn't liquid. It was quite literally, carrot mush. With some parts of carrot still in it. It tasted awful, but my other siblings drank it anyway. My mom was yelling at me to drink it, and I finally did, but I had to stop every couple seconds to get it down. It seriously felt like I was going to throw up.

Anywho, that's a bit graphic. I'll move on. However, I don't think my mom knows about the gag reflex thing. Even if I told her, she'd say it's just an excuse. (That's the kind of person my mom is. She's into mainstreaming me and getting me to act 'like everybody else', which I suppose has happened since no one really knows about my condition. But she favors my sister, the cheerleader, over me because she's perfectly fine and she's a cheerleader. Being an Aspie, I'm the writer/singer/artist of the family, and my mom is the kind of person who wishes she were a cheerleader and popular and just shuns the 'different' kids, like me. Even if I am her own daughter.)
    My entire childhood family life is plagued by instances of being forced to eat things against my will. Dinners and gatherings with my dad's relatives were always nightmares, as well as anytime mom wanted to cook something new. Even when she cooked things that weren't new, but already established as things I couldn't eat, my parents still made me stay at the table till I finished. I can think of ten million other bad food experiences, but the point of it is this: Food = Evil. Because of my past experience with people and food, I'm still extremely untrusting about eating with others unless they already know my situation and can be trusted not to even so much as suggest that I try something. If I want to try a new food, it will be on my own time when I'm ready to.

I see floaters, or whatever it's called when you see cells perfectly fine, so it might be related it to that.
    I see them, too, but I think those are actually normal things to see XD

I went to a college-prep private school too, but then I moved to homeschool and finally a public school. Now I'm in a private school again, but it's honors. Anywho, in the CP private school we always used to play four-square and race and whatever it is little kids do at recess. I'd get mad and hit all the other kids or throw the ball at someone. I had the strength, I just didn't know how to apply it. I don't run the right way, but one thing I'd like to emphasize is that when people see that sentence, they might automatically think 'oh, they're just mentally retarded, they run all weird'. But I don't. I just don't have the right arm movements, etc. that everyone else does. I can run, just not fast. I finally found a sport I love in volleyball, mostly because all it requires me to do is stand there, maybe run a few feet, and pound things, which is what I did for most of my childhood anyway. (Too bad I didn't discover volleyball earlier. That would have been my anger management right there.)
    Four-square = Evil

Actually recess as a whole was pretty evil. I liked math class loads better. At least my existence was acknowledged (plus I liked math anyway). I've always been a fairly small person, and I'm even weaker than I look, so I don't have anything going for me on the physical fitness front, except not being overweight. My stamina is about as bad as humanly possible, so starting anything physical at this point is basically pointless. Also, you hit the nail right on the head about running "the wrong way."

One of my friends asks me every week, "Have you studied for the Spanish test?" My answer is always no, the reason mainly being that I look at the words, see things in them that will help me understand what the English word is that it stands for. Foreign languages come extremely easy to me. (I'm failing English, though, which is fairly oxymoronic.) She's amazed that I have an A- in the class without needing to study. I just shrug, because once I hear it, it's there. No notes for me...I can remember nearly everything I've learned from kindergarten through 11th grade (which is what I'm in now). It frustrates me when they think they need to teach us the same information again and again. It's probably normal for regular people. Just annoying for me.
    Back when I was actually in a school that taught foreign language, I pwned at it. I was easily able to grasp the structure and grammar of Spanish lightning-quick. If I had continued with it at that school instead of switching to the lame watered-down private school for "special" people in high school that had no foreign language, I would have mastered it pretty fast. I have the same talent in English, being able to easily understand grammar and be able to spell any word intuitively after seeing it only once, even the strange ones. The only reason I didn't get into many spelling bees is because spelling verbally is totally different and not nearly as easy for me as written spelling.

Well, that should do it for this post XD

BEST. THREAD. EVAR! :3

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    It IS very awkward trying to explain it, isn't it? To other people that don't know what it is. They SHOULD google it XD

And despite being the auteur of this thread, i have NO text walls! :3

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Lol, I just personally have a hard time saying/replying to anything without a text-wall somehow manifesting itself in my post/comment/dA journal.

I speak in text-walls, too, unfortunately for those who don't like my rambling, though I'm actually very shy and often silent until someone else makes the first move. Once the ball's rolling, however, it's hard to stop XD

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    It IS very awkward trying to explain it, isn't it? To other people that don't know what it is. They SHOULD google it XD

And despite being the auteur of this thread, i have NO text walls! :3

That is so true! I have so much trouble with explaining to people why i have autism. It's so easy for them to say, "oh well you probably just have behavioral issues" but it's not true. I mean they could even say that just because I didnt speak full sentences by the time I was around maybe 4-6, is just some awkward developmental delay I had. Autism and ASDs are always complicated because sometimes people have a bunch of traits that could be misinterpreted as something else, unless someone actually has a very full-blown case of Autism, it's unlikely people can really understand it.

But yeah, I am mildly to moderately autistic. It usually varies depending on my mood. I have alot of disabilities but I think its actually just autism all together...D:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    My best friend's brother has AS, and my friend thinks I may do based on similar symptoms, however I am dyspraxic which i feel is more likely to be the reason why i show certain symptoms.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    Lol my own social skills have improved a lot over age. ^_^ I too tend to wait for someone else to start a conversation however XD

That is so true! I have so much trouble with explaining to people why i have autism. It's so easy for them to say, "oh well you probably just have behavioral issues" but it's not true. I mean they could even say that just because I didnt speak full sentences by the time I was around maybe 4-6, is just some awkward developmental delay I had. Autism and ASDs are always complicated because sometimes people have a bunch of traits that could be misinterpreted as something else, unless some actually has a very full-blown case of Autism, it's unlucky people can really understand it.
    Thats right, Misayu ^_^ It is quite unfortunate that it is a very hard disorder to understand, as there is no clear line indicating when someone has it and doesn't. That fact caused me to have a very rocky school career, and clinical depression. I'm a lot better now, thankfully ^^

Soul Eater

Years
    Lol my own social skills have imporved a lot over age. ^_^ I too tend to wait for someone else to start a conversation however XD

Mine haven't. I always fear social interaction and sometimes with phone conversation I panic and start crying. D: In public, it's like I want to have some sign or shirt saying I'm autistic. I usually try to avoid social interaction but...it's never easy. DX

Yeah, same with me. I've had alot of trouble with getting teased and no one ever gave me special treatment. I misbehaved and people that I was a bad kid, but really it was just the autism and the behavorial issues I suffered, you know like not knowing what I was doing was wrong. D:

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    Mine haven't. I always fear social interaction and sometimes with phone conversation I panic and start crying. D: In public, it's like I want to have some sign or shirt saying I'm autistic. I usually try to avoid social interaction but...it's never easy. DX

Yeah, same with me. I've had alot of trouble with getting teased and no one ever gave me special treatment. I misbehaved and people that I was a bad kid, but really it was just the autism and the behavorial issues I suffered, you know like not knowing what I was doing was wrong. D:

It can always get tough :( people thought i was insubordinate, or a misbehaved kid 'cause i did things that were out of line etc. i used to argue with everyone, but thankfully i have gotten myself back on track and know that it isn't all bad. sometimes i don't even think i have autism. That MIGHT just be me though XD

Soul Eater

Years
    It can always get tough :( people thought i was insubordinate, or a misbehaved kid 'cause i did things that were out of line etc. i used to argue with everyone, but thankfully i have gotten myself back on track and know that it isn't all bad. sometimes i don't even think i have autism. That MIGHT just be me though XD

Well, I've always wanted people to understand that I have a disability. I mean no, I don't want people treating me like I need some sort of special treatment or anything but to just simply understand that if I make a mistake or do something without thinking, not to lash out at me, you know?

No, it's not you. Sometimes I wonder if I even have it because I hardly ever have those violent meltdowns and even do the worst autistic behaviors. I only get mild behaviors and I never have any strict rituals...see, my autism seems much more complicated. It;s not like some serious thing for me since most of the time it seems pretty mild. It usually only gets worse when I deal with sound or social interaction. It's like, really loud sounds make me cover my ears but to be honest, that doesnt happen often and then with touch, I usually get overwhelmed by affection.

I know when i was little, and I was sick, my parents couldn't even touch me. So maybe it's because it's getting better, I don't know. I know that I often get yelled at for obsessing over something but to be honest, I was never hard on something changing. In fact, change is usually good for me because it makes me feel really excited.

In some ways, i do have autistic traits because I have little to no eye contact and often let my eyes wander when I'm talking to someone. I also do a lot of fidgeting and odd movements like flicking my wrists or shaking my feet.

I also make a lot of noises and often make weird noises or hum. I also repeat phrases from my favorite shows and remember a lot of my favorite parts and I even say things with the TV while watching something.

So, in same way I am autistic but most autistic people act differently depending on how severe they are. Though, I am very aggressive and I yell and throw things a lot. I do get pretty emotional too and it's always hard for people to understand that.

Back