• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism, Aspergers syndrome etc.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    To a lot of people, autism can seem like a somewhat "futile" disorder, because it's problems can overlap with so many different things and it fits in so many different contexts. Why do you think it's such a controversial disorder? Disorder, i might add, not disease. (Here's looking at you, Chibi)It is not breaking us down, or decaying us, which would be a typical criteria for a disease.

But we DO know it is one. If we didn't, why would we have Psychoanalysts dedicated to the subject? It's known people don't know much about it;it's so varied in it's symptoms.

I don't believe people really blame things they do on autism, because i notice the symptoms i have myself. It isn't like being insane or anything, at all. Aspies are as conscious (mostly) of their symptoms as the people around them. Just remember that some of us have had the kniowledge that we have this disorder for almost our entire lives, so people should be sensitive when saying things.

There may be thin lines between the symptoms that autistic people and neurotypical people experience, they are still there. Also note that i used the word "neurotypical". It's an actual word from the dictionary that is penned by psychoanalysts for "non-autistic" people.

Once again, Chibi, i'll say something to you. Did you know that EVERYONE is on the autistic spectrum? Even you're on it. Autism or any other A.S.D can't even be clearly defined as autistic people being different from neurotypical people. It's more like a different balance of behaviour. Now Chibi i completely respect that that is your view, and i won't make you change it. I'm just giving you the response that i would give. ^_^

I hope i at least cleared even one litle thing up ( i didn't have to do much, Kylie Chan pretty much hit the nail on the head). Let's try and keep the mood light here, like Rukario said, okay? This thread is not intended to be a heated one, like you may find in other areas of other chat. Everyone is entitled to our own opinions, but we should be careful, respectful and sensitive to other peoples views. A forum is not the best place to be blunt with ones words!

EDIT: Yes, i do understand that some would blame things on autism for attention. But that wouldn't even be totally relevant to this thread. It's a gathering, a party for the aspies ^_^

Last edited:

PkMn Trained

Uber trainer
    Years
    Do you guys ever have sleep problems? I read somewhere that people with autism are prone to having problems with going to sleep.

I have a really bad case of insomnia. I've tried everyhting to make me sleep and the one thing I won't give up is watching a movie before I go to bed. I mean duh, Autism? I have a huge ritual when it comes to movies. If I can't watch one before I go to bed, guess what? I won't sleep.

It's hard for me to sleep when I'm away from home and traveling with my parents. I can't sleep enough when I'm forced to sleep on a hard bed because it makes me restless. I have terrible soulder problems that cause some impairment when I move them.

I wake up in the middle of the night though.

You try Valerian root? Valeria is proven all natural sleep aid. You can take it in capsulses or tea. Both smell like dirty gym socks, though.

In case no noe noticed, I have spelling trouble.

See the noe up there? thats what happens if i dont bother to edit it bewfore i post.

I misspel alot of things, but I cant get Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the ne wrold wright! I ussually abbrivieate it as TOS:DOTNW.

Emil is soooo cut!

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    @ PkMn Trained: Please, you're going to have to at least try to speak literately. And..stay on topic, okay?

Once again, Chibi, i'll say something to you. Did you know that EVERYONE is on the autistic spectrum? Even you're on it.

No. If everyone was on the autistic spectrum, autism wouldn't be a disorder. Disorders are when you have a disorder. It's not a disorder if everyone has a form of it. It's like calling people with lighter or darker skin color having a pigment disorder.

Quote 2 said:
    There may be thin lines between the symptoms that autistic people and neurotypical people experience, they are still there. Also note that i used the word "neurotypical". It's an actual word from the dictionary that is penned by psychoanalysts for "non-autistic" people.

You just said everyone was autistic later. :|

And I totally understand what Autism is, but like I said before, Aspergers just seems like a problem with being socially inept. And possibly a placebo from an interview I heard on NPR (National Public Radio). A woman, when she was in second grade, was very imaginative and didn't fit in with her students or like what they did. She was sent to a doctor, who told her she had Aspergers, and then she was labeled with it throughout her life. She felt like an outsider from people she now considered "normal" (and while we're on the subject of using the word "normal" in quotes, don't you think you've isolated yourself from others even further by putting the word in quotes?) and felt like she was thinking wrong, and whatever she did would not be accepted because she could not fight a disorder she had. Because of this, she quit high school because she became afraid of talking to others because she felt that she was "different" and they wouldn't accept her. She talked about how, if she had never heard that she had the disease, how she would have been willing to go up to people and make friends, how she would have had a social life, and how she wouldn't have had to be so afraid of being different. It was a really heartwretching interview, maybe she did have Aspergers, maybe she was just falsely diagnosed. Either way, the fact of someone telling her she had it made her life worse, and made her lose her self confidence because the mere idea that she would never be accepted. This is why I don't believe in Aspergers and think of it as a placebo or a way to justify solidarity.

PkMn Trained

Uber trainer
    Years
    I think everyones a little auitstic, crazy, whatever you wanna call it. Everyone is different, and everyone is human.

You can't define a disorder based on one, one-hundred, or one-thousand cases. No matter what science says, there will always be variables. Just because one person responds well to the latest cancer treatment, does that mean everyon will? No, it means it works for that one patient, and no amount of testing, trials, changes or experiments you do will change the fact that ONE drug will NOT cure EVERYONE. Just like how ONE set of criteriea does'nt aplly To EVERYONE.

Really, you can't blame EVERY SINGLE THING thats wrong with your life on Autism, Aspergers, or any other disorder, and I don't think anyone here is. They are simply saying that particular case COULD be part of their disorder.

If the minutes on my alarm clock Are'nt Divisible by five, I CANNOT, by any intent or purpose, get out of bed. This resembles a case of Obbsesive compulsive Disorder. I am NOT OCD, I just have a little Idiosycrasie that one COULD possibly see in a case of OCD. Is this a degenarative trait? I dont think so, if anything, its more likely that the rest of my day will follow this pattern. ( It may, or may not. I find it easier to stay focused if I start at a time divisible by five, for some reason.)

Immediatly saying that anyone with Autism is an idiot, a brat, or anything is a sterotype. Its like saying people who like pokemon are idiots. I know somepople who like pokemon that are, indeed, idiots. I also know people that ADORE pokemon that are some of the smartest people I know! ( Im not saying people with autism are idiots, this is just a reference)

Just because that ONE woman became an anti-social dosnt justify ANYONE saying that Aspergers is just an excuse to BE anti-social

Tis is all just my opinion, and I won't try to change anyone elses. I am simply laying out my ideas in a civilzed manner.

(That on topic enough for ya'?) ;)

( Miyasu, Im sorry if saying that offended you, I took it out.)

Last edited:

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    Also, I didn't say I had asperger's Syndrome. I have mild to moderate Autism and I didn't start speaking until I was four years old. I had no imaginative play and I prefered playing by myself and in the rocks when I was younger. I didn't make friends very well and I was prone to meltdowns and outbursts.

As for sleep problems, I didn't mean to say it was Autism, I just said it doesn't help I can't sleep because of it. I also have anxiety and depression which can counter meltdowns for me and panic attacks. I know they are slight panic attacks but they still feel like hell for me because sometimes I feel like I can't breathe.

I'm not saying it IS Autism but I'm saying that in some cases, Autism does play apart in how I act because sometimes when I get mad, I ignore anyone and anything around me. I won't listen to anyone and I throw tantrums and I cry.

Yeah, you see kids doing this but can you see a 20 year old throwing tantrums because she didn't get her way? Sometimes I do things without realizing and I get mad because I don't know any better.

Could this be anything? Sure. Do I have Autism? Obviously. However, I never said I was blaming anything on Autism.

I also have a huge tolerance to sound. It's so bad that now, I have to wear noise-blocking headphones to keep me from panicking. Sound makes it hard for me to focus and I get distracted, I have ADHD so the disctraction part COULD be ADHD.

I just wanted to get that out.

Kylie obviously has Asperger Syndrome and so does her brother. Also, it's obvious you wouldn't see that online because you can't see how the person acts. Not even just by judging from their posts and only what they tell you.

I also have a lot mild head injuries from my childhood. It's even possible that those could also play apart in the way I do things because with all the concussions, I probably lost a bit of the things I should have had from my past. I don't remember anything of my past from before I was nine years old. Everything else either comes in bits and pieces or there is just nothing that comes to mind.

It's possible that it could have caused some minor brain damage.

I also have a hard time telling what a persons emotions are. When my mom yells at me, I automatically retalite with negative behavior because she is angry but I don;t really get her anger and it is scary for me. She yells at me and I cover my and ears and start to cry.

When my grandmother on my dad's side passed on...everyone around me cried but i didn't. It wasn't out of rudeness it was because I didn't understand. I didn't know how to react and sure I know what was happening...but I couldn't react with tears. I couldn't force myself to cry either and I just never felt the sadness everyone else had felt.

I also have random bursts of laughter and hand movements for no reason. I just start giggling frantically and bounce up and down while clap my hands or pound my wrists together. It's random and it comes from no where.

I'll admit that most people wit Autism or asperger syndrome get misdiagnosed. Chibi, when I read that post about the girl, it seemed to me like she did have social phobia. It wasn't asperger syndrome because Kylie had already made her diagnosis of Asperger syndrome clear.

But, if you don't want to believe in it, don't. I'm not telling you that you should. It just hurts us when you say it that way because some of us really might have it. Sometimes, you see people with Autism that live normal lives. Some autistic people are lucky enough to get into special therapies before they are too old.

I've learned alot from my friends. I had one friend who had asperger syndrome in real life, he was recieving medication for it and it worked for him. Other aspies recieve therapy for their sensory issues but others...usually don't get that.

Misdiagnoses is definetely not a myth. Alot of the time it can happen with autism spectrum disorders because you have one doctor that probably does't know much at all about them and makes that mistake.

Last edited:

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    Chibi Chan said:
    No. If everyone was on the autistic spectrum, autism wouldn't be a disorder. Disorders are when you have a disorder. It's not a disorder if everyone has a form of it. It's like calling people with lighter or darker skin color having a pigment disorder.

Actually, it really isn't. at all. And everyone IS on the autistic spectrum because it doesn't just apply to disorders per se. The spectrum represents different levels and extremeties, from which doctors can confirm a diagnosis. basically, everybody is in the spectrum, but some are at different levels than others. Just because it has the word "Autistic" in it does not mean that that is all it applies to. Plus, comparing it to skin color now? The situation at hand isn't so "Black and white" (No pun intended)

Chibi Chan said:
    You just said everyone was autistic later. :|

Once again, i didn't say that.That would be foolish in more than just the slightest. i said everyone is on the autistic spectrum. And i've already explained that above.

I am completely fine with your view on aspergers. With the story you have said i can see perfectly why you would say so. All that i'd want to say is: We've been told, some of us likely quite recently, that we have a disorder called autism. We don't know much about it, because not many people do. Like it or not, we are connected to that term, and then you say quite bluntly that you think it doesn't exist..It's not that you said it that's bad, i think it was just the way it was said..

Still, there's no need to rant on about that. You say that not liking certain foods and sensitive palates and breakdowns etc. happen to everyone. Well, yes they do. How could i disagree? But that's why EVERYONE is on the autistic spectrum, no? It's not about just doing a certain behaviour, it's the extent and the way it is done that is analysed. And of course someone will be wrongly diagnosed; There must be one person who gets it wrong.

Also, i didn't say "neurotypical" to isolate myself. Although i see why you might've thought that, It's just a term. I try my best to fit in with other people, and act social, yet i still have been dignosed: How does that make aspergers a label for being "socially inept"?

Still, lets face it. We could probably dissect each others point forever over this subject. Whatever you believe about aspergers i will not make you change, and i am fine with it. This is my view, but all i'm saying is be a little more sensitive, okay? cause some of the things you've said can make a big impact if the right person hears it, you know?

Soul Eater

Years
    Actually, it really isn't. at all. And everyone IS on the autistic spectrum because it doesn't just apply to disorders per se. The spectrum represents different levels and extremeties, from which doctors can confirm a diagnosis. basically, everybody is in the spectrum, but some are at different levels than others. Just because it has the word "Autistic" in it does not mean that that is all it applies to. Plus, comparing it to skin color now? The situation at hand isn't so "Black and white" (No pun intended)

Once again, i didn't say that.That would be foolish in more than just the slightest. i said everyone is on the autistic spectrum. And i've already explained that above.

I am completely fine with your view on aspergers. With the story you have said i can see perfectly why you would say so. All that i'd want to say is: We've been told, some of us likely quite recently, that we have a disorder called autism. We don't know much about it, because not many people do. Like it or not, we are connected to that term, and then you say quite bluntly that you think it doesn't exist..It's not that you said it that's bad, i think it was just the way it was said..

Still, there's no need to rant on about that. You say that not liking certain foods and sensitive palates and breakdowns etc. happen to everyone. Well, yes they do. How could i disagree? But that's why EVERYONE is on the autistic spectrum, no? It's not about just doing a certain behaviour, it's the extent and the way it is done that is analysed. And of course someone will be wrongly diagnosed; There must be one person who gets it wrong.

Also, i didn't say "neurotypical" to isolate myself. Although i see why you might've thought that, It's just a term. I try my best to fit in with other people, and act social, yet i still have been dignosed: How does that make aspergers a label for being "socially inept"?

Still, lets face it. We could probably dissect each others point forever over this subject. Whatever you believe about aspergers i will not make you change, and i am fine with it. This is my view, but all i'm saying is be a little more sensitive, okay? cause some of the things you've said can make a big impact if the right person hears it, you know?

I kind of have to agree with Chibi. I mean there is no way everyone can be on the spectrum of Autism. Autism has to have at least 6 or more symptoms and depends on the severity.

Sleep problems come with Autism though, just like any other disorder. They can come with depression, anxiety, ADHD or hell, even naturally. Saying everyone is on the spectrum is way too much.

That's the kind of thing that makes people call us brats or fakes because there are so many people that are saying everyone is being diagnosed.

Chibi said what she had and if your saying she is just in the spectrum, I say your wrong. Chibi is just like everyone else and everyone else has certain things that can set them off. But in order for it to be SO bad that it's disabling to have to hear noise around you or probably to not be able to wear clothes with tags or seams or even doing behaviors with repition, that is Autism.

It's not leading to a spectrum, iot's leading to the severity of it.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    I kind of have to agree with Chibi. I mean there is no way everyone can be on the spectrum of Autism. Autism has to have at least 6 or more symptoms and depends on the severity.

Sleep problems come with Autism though, just like any other disorder. They can come with depression, anxiety, ADHD or hell, even naturally. Saying everyone is on the spectrum is way too much.

That's the kind of thing that makes people call us brats or fakes because there are so many people that are saying everyone is being diagnosed.

Chibi said what she had and if your saying she is just in the spectrum, I say your wrong. Chibi is just like everyone else and everyone else has certain things that can set them off. But in order for it to be SO bad that it's disabling to have to hear noise around you or probably to not be able to wear clothes with tags or seams or even doing behaviors with repition, that is Autism.

It's not leading to a spectrum, iot's leading to the severity of it.

I can understand that. ^^ I was told that everyone is on the autistic spectrum, because the symptoms of autism can also relate to people who aren't even diagnosed. And that just because everyone was on the spectrum didn't mean that everyone was autistic. When i say that though, i don't mean everyone is on the same "level" of the spectrum, because obvously, like you said, it's the severity of the behaviour, of which i very much agree. But i've always been told that on the spectrum, some people were more severe than others and "higher" up in the spectrum due to the severity of the disorder. All i can say in defense is that that was the way i was told things. Maybe that's why people use the autistic spectrum, no?

Don't think of the autistic spectrum as a way of saying "everyone has autism" because that's not the point i want to get across. The spectrum is more of a way of..well, not really "measuring" but a way to know the levels of severity that come with disorders such as autism.

At the end of the day, it's just a way-Maybe even just my way- of thinking through the subject. I don't want to offend anyone.

Soul Eater

Years
    I can understand that. ^^ I was told that everyone is on the autistic spectrum, because the symptoms of autism can also relate to people who aren't even diagnosed. And that just because everyone was on the spectrum didn't mean that everyone was autistic. When i say that though, i don't mean everyone is on the same "level" of the spectrum, because obvously, like you said, it's the severity of the behaviour, of which i very much agree. But i've always been told that on the spectrum, some people were more severe than others and "higher" up in the spectrum due to the severity of the disorder. All i can say in defense is that that was the way i was told things. Maybe that's why people use the autistic spectrum, no?

Don't think of the autistic spectrum as a way of saying "everyone has autism" because that's not the point i want to get across. The spectrum is more of a way of..well, not really "measuring" but a way to know the levels of severity that come with disorders such as autism.

At the end of the day, it's just a way-Maybe even just my way- of thinking through the subject. I don't want to offend anyone.

I'm still disagreeing. D: I can understand the most noted ASDs, like Asperger Syndrome and PDD-NOS. Those are ASDs. I'm not on the spectrum. I have mild to moderate autism and my counselor today, ( I saw on the first time) said that I really don't have anxiety/depression because it is more going into Autism.

I really don't believe in anyone being part of the spectrum. Like I said, that's what puts Autism into a bad position. Alot of people take that in consideration and say, oh well I'm on the spectrum. That's why we are called brats because people who are considered spectrum wise, ruin autism and make people think its not real.

I'm not saying you should't agree with me, I'm just saying that's how I see it.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    Lol once again , i'm completely fine with that Misayu ^_^ I understand where you're coming from. Mainly i've been saying stuff about the spectrum because i was brought up being told abouy it, which could seem a little whack.

I do get annoyed with people doubting that it is real, though..Maybe the spectrum thing isn't the right way to think of it? Meh. :P

It'd be great if the mood this thread has would go light again XD

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Yeah, the autistic spectrum refers to people with any condition that falls within the spectrum; it's more like

mild -----------------------> severe

rather than

doesn't have it ----------------------> is autistic

I grew up with a mother 100% positive something was 'wrong' with me and 100% determined to get a diagnosis of 'something' (to be fair, this wasn't just projection, and it wasn't her hypochrondria -- she wanted to find out what it was so we could find out what we could do to treat it/give therapy, and to make it easier to get aid etc. at school) -- until I was thirteen or so, I visited prominent neurologists, had brain scans, child psychologists, etc. etc. you name it, I saw them about it. She read practically every book available on the subject, and later my brother was diagnosed too. So I'd like to think I'm a bit knowledgeable about the subject, having been taught about it since I was pretty little as well.

o.o I think I've gotten my point across, so I guess my brief reapparance is over. *disappear*

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    I think the majority here is disagreeing on the way i was told about the spectrum..XD I might actually ask my parents about that *shot* Ah well.

I find that my mum was far too determined to get me to "fit in" and thus i never had ANY space. from hearing peoples views it made me wonder if that's why she said the thing about everyone being in the spectrum? If so, then i'd say i'm pretty angry about it. That would be very wrong to be dissilluded like that.

Soul Eater

Years
    I found out I wasn't diagnosed with Autism until ten but like Kylie, my parents were SURE something wasn't right about me. They got me in testing for everything, turns out I had mild to moderate autism. It wasn't as bad as it has gotten now and I think being older and not getting the right therapy, I wasn't able to control my feelings.

I'm pretty knowledgable as well. I'll definitely admit that and I know I am way more knowledable than my mother.

See, my mom doesn't seem to understand my autism. It can be hard because she gets mad at me so easily. I end up slamming around and throwing things. It causes outbursts and terrible meltdowns for me but it's something she just can't understand.

She also doesn't get it when I tell her to get out of my room. I yell at her to get out because see, my room is like my escape. I really prefer just being alone. I can even get scared easily and not just like a child would but to the point where I end up just crying out of nowhere.

I know it's normal for a child but for me it's not right. Last night, my mom discovered I was covered in this rash (turns out something made me break into hives so I'm on benadryl and anitbiotics and I'm fine now.) Anyway, she scared me when she insisted she was worried and thinking it was serious and I started to cry.

It took a while for this to subside and then finally I was able to settle down and go to sleep.

There was also today, at the emergency room for my hives, this person who was getting information for me came in and asked me questions. Some of them I didn't know and I was getting nervous over it and filled with anger, my mom could even see it and she snapped.

It got to the point where I ended up almost crying and my mom had to rudely, almost, tell the lady to wait and explain my autism, learning disability and ADHD. She let my mom answer this time.

See, I usually don't have very good language or a very good brain to be able to answer hard questions. It can cause me lots of frustration.

I realize its getting worse because I seem to get even more overwhelmed by these things. I know today at UPS the guy who was mailing a box to my aunt, and he was placing the tape over the box to seal it. The sound was DELIBRATING like so hard on my ears I had to walk away, but still couldn't escape it.

It was like ear splitting and so painful. That's just stuff that's happened recently and I've started a personal journal to write down things.

I hope next month I can show them to my psychiatrist. I got one just yesterday so, I'll be seeing her every month and I hope this might help get me more confidence over things.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    I found out I wasn't diagnosed with Autism until ten but like Kylie, my parents were SURE something wasn't right about me. They got me in testing for everything, turns out I had mild to moderate autism. It wasn't as bad as it has gotten now and I think being older and not getting the right therapy, I wasn't able to control my feelings.

I'm pretty knowledgable as well. I'll definitely admit that and I know I am way more knowledable than my mother.

See, my mom doesn't seem to understand my autism. It can be hard because she gets mad at me so easily. I end up slamming around and throwing things. It causes outbursts and terrible meltdowns for me but it's something she just can't understand.

She also doesn't get it when I tell her to get out of my room. I yell at her to get out because see, my room is like my escape. I really prefer just being alone. I can even get scared easily and not just like a child would but to the point where I end up just crying out of nowhere.

I know it's normal for a child but for me it's not right. Last night, my mom discovered I was covered in this rash (turns out something made me break into hives so I'm on benadryl and anitbiotics and I'm fine now.) Anyway, she scared me when she insisted she was worried and thinking it was serious and I started to cry.

It took a while for this to subside and then finally I was able to settle down and go to sleep.

There was also today, at the emergency room for my hives, this person who was getting information for me came in and asked me questions. Some of them I didn't know and I was getting nervous over it and filled with anger, my mom could even see it and she snapped.

It got to the point where I ended up almost crying and my mom had to rudely, almost, tell the lady to wait and explain my autism, learning disability and ADHD. She let my mom answer this time.

See, I usually don't have very good language or a very good brain to be able to answer hard questions. It can cause me lots of frustration.

I realize its getting worse because I seem to get even more overwhelmed by these things. I know today at UPS the guy who was mailing a box to my aunt, and he was placing the tape over the box to seal it. The sound was DELIBRATING like so hard on my ears I had to walk away, but still couldn't escape it.

It was like ear splitting and so painful. That's just stuff that's happened recently and I've started a personal journal to write down things.

I hope next month I can show them to my psychiatrist. I got one just yesterday so, I'll be seeing her every month and I hope this might help get me more confidence over things.

I hope it goes well ^_^ A journal is a good idea, i've never really motivated myself to get one though..XD

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 3, 2009
    Hey, best of luck; a journal is a really really helpful thing. I've got one next to my bed, that way if I'm upset about something I can transfer it into the journal and it helps me sleep. I also brainstorm and put little diagrams/lists in it.

I looove making lists. I have a whole book of lists. <.<

Soul Eater

Years
    What do you think is your biggest challenge with Autism? Like, what really makes you feel like you could do better on one thing you are limited into doing?

For me, I have to say social interaction. I know most of the time people will be shy but for me its disabling because I can't go up to a store clerk and actually pay for my own things. It's a fear but a fear that I just can't understand.

My parents have to talk for me and sometimes even tell them I'm autistic. The only thing that sets me apart from being normal is when I interact. If I meet a new person, I just stand there or sometimes I'll fiddle with my thumbs or fidget and pace walk around, not saying a word.

It seems like a normal shy thing but it's not. It can be hard for me because when I want to say something, to explain to a person what's on my mind, I never have the words. I have very good language but I still have problems with explaining things.

When I have to talk on the phone, I started to having panic attacks and my parents can't get me to just say my dad has permission to do everything for me. It's so bad that my dad has power of attorney over me so that everytime he has to call someone for information, he can talk to them without them getting the okay from me.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    I think i agree that the biggest challenge for me has been social interaction. It's been a long journey for me to get much better and i wouldn't be much better at all if it weren't for the help i recieved. ^_^

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 3, 2009
    I think the same, it's great isn't it?... I got a loooad better after Grammar school because I had extra help. The only reason I got any better was because I had to basically get taught how to interact. I picked it up, but I still occasionally offend many many people by just speaking my mind. Then I can't tell them about my Asperger's because they're so pissed at me for accidentally upsetting them...

I'm just so glad I have my boyfriend. He knows how to put up with it, whereas my parents (especially my dad) get annoyed and frustrated.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    The biggest challenge? Knowing the motive behind a question. If someone asks me during a marathon, "Why are your shoelaces untied?" I can answer "When I change direction, the inertia of the shoelace keeps it moving in a straight line, and by some coincidence, it is the right direction of pulling to untie it." I wouldn't know if they are teasing me or telling me to tie my shoelace. It definitely makes it difficult for people to tease me by asking "annoying" questions because I will almost always assume they meant to know the logical answer.

Back