• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism, Aspergers syndrome etc.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
Years
  • Well there were a lot more when I was a kid, a lot of my "quirks" I've stopped at one point or another. But I still have a few.

I have problems with self-control, don't trust people enough, can't call people by name, overshare information too much, have some uncontrollable physical habits that take years to break each time i get them (one I have had for six years and it doesn't show any signs of ever stopping), feel a need to correct/explain things all the time, and more.

If you're interested, I also have bipolar, ADHD, and extremely slight OCD.

I...don't want to be a jerk or anything but that really doesn't sound like Asperger syndrome.

Kylie made that clear two or three pages ago. Seriously, Asperger syndrome is way off than from that.

https://autistics.selfip.org/dsm4-aspergers.html

If you want to read up on the general symptoms and try to see if you have those as well, prove me wrong.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Well, as I said before, I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but I know that I'm not what most people call "normal" (can that seriously even have a meaning?)

For example, I am known for:
    - Talking to myself whenever there is silence - it's bizarre and I literally can't control it.
    - Mood swings (but they are usually not from happiness to anger, normally they're from happiness to deep sadness; another thing I really can't control)
    - Becoming extremely obsessive over something (to the point that I sometimes forget to eat)
    - Sometimes I stare at an object and I get lost in space for a little bit...
    - Very high succeptability to sugar (strangely enough, I'm not that suceptable to caffine...)
    - Undereating
    - Lack of Trust (I think this is an aquired behaviour though - I realize that I can be rather Naive and thus I became a lot less trustworthy)
    And the such.

I'll start paying more attention to my behaviours to see if I can list more, but these 7 are mainly the ones that people notice a lot.
    Now I don't want anyone playing doctor here, but I'd really like a little suggestion to what could be causing these things...

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Well, in reality, they are the same, except I was a lot more Naive. I guess you could also say they were about 10x what they are now, but I think the talking to myself, undereating, obsessiveness and the whole "lost in space" thing have gotten worse.

It's weird. If there's complete silence, I'll start talking to myself within 5 minutes. I also constantly talk to myself when walking down crowded hallways because the noise in the background is just nonsense to my ears. It's like I have an uncontrollable urge to hear something that makes sense in the background.

EDIT: Whoops, just realized you were talking to Basslope. Oh well, I guess I had to explain a little more anyways...

Years
  • Too many to list, but here's a sample:

I acted like a cat, dog, mastadon, alien, etc.; went up to random strangers and described my cats in detail; chased boys around the gym screaming "I love you" in Furbish; pretended to believe everything said on TV was true; tried to convince people I was a robot; had elaborate and hard to understand one-player games with myself; got up and walked around the room during class; got incredibly upset when things didn't go my way; cried over everything; and had so many obsessions including cats, *NSYNC, Littlest Pet Shop, Tamagotchis, Beanie Babies, and many more. I would take my Beanie Babies and other toys and make them pretend to be Pokémon and battle each other. I would pretend to watch an invisible TV on the back of a car chair. I would insist that just because I didn't like certain things, nobody else could like them "under penalty of death" (or something like that). I would tell people there was a planet and man inside my head. I would swing girls' ponytails around. I would type random letters in an email and send it to someone.

That covers about... 2% of it.

Soul Eater

Years
  • Too many to list, but here's a sample:

I acted like a cat, dog, mastadon, alien, etc.; went up to random strangers and described my cats in detail; chased boys around the gym screaming "I love you" in Furbish; pretended to believe everything said on TV was true; tried to convince people I was a robot; had elaborate and hard to understand one-player games with myself; got up and walked around the room during class; got incredibly upset when things didn't go my way; cried over everything; and had so many obsessions including cats, *NSYNC, Littlest Pet Shop, Tamagotchis, Beanie Babies, and many more. I would take my Beanie Babies and other toys and make them pretend to be Pokémon and battle each other. I would pretend to watch an invisible TV on the back of a car chair. I would insist that just because I didn't like certain things, nobody else could like them "under penalty of death" (or something like that). I would tell people there was a planet and man inside my head. I would swing girls' ponytails around. I would type random letters in an email and send it to someone.

That covers about... 2% of it.

Wow, sorry. I really didn't have any idea. XD

I used to do a lot of odd things too as a child. I was an obsessive tomboy and did prented to race my bike around this field next to my house. I also pretended the snow plow was out to get me and would hide from it when it came around.

I still meow like a cat sometimes. I love cats because they are totally adorable and they have very cute meows. :B

I still cry over not getting things my way and tend to get overly emotional over things. I'm not that good at social interaction unless I am with someone I am comfortable with, like my dad.

I mean sure, if i was five years old, having a tantrum over not getting what I wanted would be normal but for a 20 year old, it would seem as if I have major issues. Some of my behavoirs are between 3 and seven years old.

I sleep with four plushies too and I have strong attachments to my blanket and can't part with it. I think it has to do with sameness because I'm used to having a comforter that feels as soft as a baby's bottom.

However, I have a lot of conflicts with my other disabilities and it's possible that what you've said could conflict with the ones you have.

Jupiter: Wow, have you told your doctor about it? What you should do is keep a notebook, write down everything you feel, everything you notice, etc. Give it to your doctor at the next check up.

Last edited:

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Wow, sorry. I really didn't have any idea. XD
    I sleep with four plushies too and I have strong attachments to my blanket and can't part with it. I think it has to do with sameness because I'm used to having a comforter that feels as soft as a baby's bottom.
    Well, there's really nothing imature about that. I'm a lot like the same way (well, part of the reason why I wear the blanket is because my arms get cold real easily, but...)

I guess it's what you define as immature. Usually, I consider a behaviour, whether it is intentional or not, that is disruptive immature. Thus, it's really not that immature at all.

(Actually, I think I'm defending myself more than you on this one XP)

Soul Eater

Years
  • Well, there's really nothing imature about that. I'm a lot like the same way (well, part of the reason why I wear the blanket is because my arms get cold real easily, but...)

I guess it's what you define as immature. Usually, I consider a behaviour, whether it is intentional or not, that is disruptive immature. Thus, it's really not that immature at all.

(Actually, I think I'm defending myself more than you on this one XP)

No, but it is autistic behavior. I have attachments and resist on sameness with a lot of things. I just don't have massive panic attacks if those things are changed.

See, I can deal with change in some extent. If my room is moved around, it actually helps with my sudden depression/anxiety (which is actually considered as just autistic behavior for me) but if I couldn't watch the movie I wanted to watch before going to bed or my DVD player broke or something...then I can get a bit upset. I usually start to cry and throw a big tantrum when I can't watch something in the living room until I am able to have it fixed.

It happened a while ago where my old DVD player died on me. It totally froze and I was in meltdown mode afterwords...meltdown modes for me are usually an angry face and sulking not massive crying and carrying on but still meltdowns since I usually scream at my parents to leave me alone...anyway, I was in meltdown mode for a bit and then went back into the living room to bug my father to let me sleep on the couch and my mom hated this but I did it.

The next day, my dad bought a blu-ray disc player for the living room and I got the DVD player previously in the living room. I had to go back into my room.

I think because where I do have enough sense to not carry on over something, it does help. I mean I will cry in a massive panic when I am pressured.

My rituals aren't as severe as someone who might have a much more worse case of Autism then the other person.

However, I also have outbursts where I tend to throw things. It's more like being in a trance, except I'm aware of myself and yet the only thing I can think about is what I am so ticked off a bit, it's considered an overload of emotions where I do things in a huge rage and don't think of the consequences.

It's not normal behavior for a 20 year old woman, believe me.

There is alot of things that you probably wouldn't consider of me online. Though if you were to somehow come to my house to evaulate my behaviors, then it's something you would notice right away.

It's not because I'm spoiled but mostly because I'm not at the right age limit in my state of mind. I do alot of childish things that would be considered below the level of an average 20 year old. It's more like, having a 'failure to thrive' label, except for the fact that I'm rather chubby and not lacking food.

It's more like saying that I would never be able to fend for myself if I had my own house. I wouldn't be able to cook, do laundry, remember to pay bills or even to know how to pay bills, etc. In a way, it's sad to think about but there a lot of people who are like that.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Hmmm... I guess its another example of how hard it is to draw the line with mental disorders. Immaturity is a very difficult thing to measure due to it having a different meaning to every person.

Hm... I normally don't throw tantrums. I am a pretty calm person, and I only get angry when someone is constantly provoking me (which I think actually has more of an effect - the person is more likely to back down from someone who's normally calm and gets pissed off rather than someone who gets pissed off a lot). However, I can quickly fall into a deep depressive state. I'm 100% sure it comes from my father, but basically, if something makes me feel sad, I get very very sad over it. It only lasts a little while, but it gets really deep.

For example, once, I had pissed off my Chem teacher in the morning for whatever reason. He got all upset at me, and I literally got depressed all day. By the time I got home, I got over it because I was dog tired, but I knew that I shouldn't have gotten that emotional over it.

I've also noticed that I get really panicky if someone looks through my room/binder/other personal places, and I really don't know why. It feels like someone's just going through my room and just making it all disorganized, even though it usually is already disorganized. I'm very uptight about people comming into my room and I usually tell people to get out. I also absolutely cannot stand being provoked, especially if I'm in kind of an "obsessive" state.

Soul Eater

Years
  • Hmmm... I guess its another example of how hard it is to draw the line with mental disorders. Immaturity is a very difficult thing to measure due to it having a different meaning to every person.

I've also noticed that I get really panicky if someone looks through my room/binder/other personal places, and I really don't know why. It feels like someone's just going through my room and just making it all disorganized, even though it usually is already disorganized. I'm very uptight about people comming into my room and I usually tell people to get out. I also absolutely cannot stand being provoked, especially if I'm in kind of an "obsessive" state.

well, there is alot of other things I have too. It's all combined with Autism but I do have autistic traits, no doubt.

I do that too. I get pissed at my mom for coming into my room and start panicking. D: When she touches my stuff, I am the same way. It's hard for me to just let anyone touch my stuff and I'm not sure why I get so panicked over it.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Darn it Misayu I keep on thinking you're the same age as me XP

I personally feel that I may have a slight case of both Autism and ADD (or maybe even ADHD) but I really don't think it's anything that I need drugs for.

(I point this out because when I was five and they supposedly "diagnosed" me with autism, it was so blatantly obvious that it was for the money that it still makes me sick)

Soul Eater

Years
  • Darn it Misayu I keep on thinking you're the same age as me XP

I personally feel that I may have a slight case of both Autism and ADD (or maybe even ADHD) but I really don't think it's anything that I need drugs for.

(I point this out because when I was five and they supposedly "diagnosed" me with autism, it was so blatantly obvious that it was for the money that it still makes me sick)

You might have PDD-NOS. PDD-NOS can be used to classify someone who might have possible traits of Autism, but somehow don't fit as actually being any other Autism spectrum disorder.

I mean like you said, you've realized you might have a slight case of Autism but it isn't enough to be considered severe in some areas. PDD-NOS is considered as something that is used to diagnose people with autistic traits but in a way that they can't be specified as being actual autism, asperger syndrome or high-functioning or even Rett Syndrome.

Though, Rett Syndrome isn't techincally autistic. It only shares some traits of Autism and isn't diagnosed until after around 18 months. It can cause brain impairment and can be very severe. It's also only seen in girls.

Yeah, i get that alot. XD I was at the store once and my mom was buying cigrattes. The clerk didn't want me to carry them and gave them to my mom instead.

The clerk thought I was like, 15 and my mom told her I was 20...she was surprised because I looked so young. I am pretty short for my age limit.

Last edited:

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Hmm, okay. Maybe I should look into it with a doctor.

Generally, though, I'm completely functional, and I'm even in some advanced courses and stuff. I don't think that whatever I have is so severe that it's going to effect my functionality, rather, it's just a "why?" kind of thing. Now that I look at it, some quirks like my extreme obsessiveness are really useful when it comes to learning things.

A "female" exclusive disorder? That's rather odd. I've heard of sex linked traits, but they usually apply to males.

Soul Eater

Years
  • Hmm, okay. Maybe I should look into it with a doctor.

Generally, though, I'm completely functional, and I'm even in some advanced courses and stuff. I don't think that whatever I have is so severe that it's going to effect my functionality, rather, it's just a "why?" kind of thing. Now that I look at it, some quirks like my extreme obsessiveness are really useful when it comes to learning things.

A "female" exclusive disorder? That's rather odd. I've heard of sex linked traits, but they usually apply to males.

Well, it could could be some other disorder too. I couldn't really be too sure. I know in the thread called hitting rock bottom you were talking about how you felt down all the time.

It's possible you could have depression. It's pretty common for young folk because of stress and everything.

I wouldn't consider talking about PDD-NOS but I would tell her about some of things you have. It's better to talk to your primary doctor rather than to someone who isn't as experienced. XD

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
  • Well, it could could be some other disorder too. I couldn't really be too sure. I know in the thread called hitting rock bottom you were talking about how you felt down all the time.

It's possible you could have depression. It's pretty common for young folk because of stress and everything.

I wouldn't consider talking about PDD-NOS but I would tell her about some of things you have. It's better to talk to your primary doctor rather than to someone who isn't as experienced. XD

Autism can get very confusing. I was reading one of my folk's books on it a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I've been away for a while, so i thought i'd better have some kind of reply here. XD

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    I have not noticed this :O.

Anyway, let me tell you about one of my old high school friends, Tom. After a LONG time without hearing from him in school, he eventually comes back. I don't understand what's up until he tells me he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia. I helped him as much as i could, and for everyone who doesn't know what this is, it's some sort of mental illness that has hallucinations and delusions being some of the main symptoms.

The word leaked out and for some reason he was bullied. It was apalling that these people didn't know what an unstable condition my friend was in. He eventually cracked or something, and spent a while in some mental places. I couldn't believe it, we're still friends and i think he's still on medication, but i think people in their teens should know about these type of things. Even i was bullied for my physical appearance, as i am white but have vitiligo, the de - pigmentation of the skin, so i have some very white spots on me.

Anyway, thought i'd like to just type that up, but i can't really explain how angry i was when this happened.

~Fire Eagle~

The Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • The dis advantages I have is ADD, ADHAD, and IED, which makes me a very scary to be around when I'm excited or in a bad mood.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • The dis advantages I have is ADD, ADHAD, and IED, which makes me a very scary to be around when I'm excited or in a bad mood.

Well, ADD doesn't exist anymore.
    And that's probably a typo of ADHD.

Did you actually get diagnosed for them, or did you just read Wikipedia and decide you had these disorders?

~Fire Eagle~

The Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • Well, I got diagnosed with them because they never let me see my medical report but I did see it and the report said that I had them.

EDIT: I highly agree that ADD does exist in this world.

Back