• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B/W Greatest pokemon game... ever?

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    Got my copy of White yesturday, and so far it's up there with my top 3. Wonderful game!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I never got my copy of the game yet, but from what I've read, B/W is one of the greatest Pokemon games created, thanks to its new features.

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
    Years
  • In JAPANESE they are the great Pokemon games EVER made.

The plot...it's the plot! The plot is so meaning, symbolic, philosophical! No Pokemon game has ever been so uplifting and DEEP! It's so much better than the other games because the other games were just the average gym battling, elite four, defeat evil team. But this, even though it does follow that pattern...it's just so much more involved and intellectual. It really makes you think about philosophy, and moral choices.

I just love how symbolic it is. It's so hard to put it into words. I'll give it a shot.

Isshu/Unova is a land that is separate from the 4 previous regions. Places that are isolated have higher diversity-which is true for this game! There is diversity of character/people, ideals, beliefs, and of course species of Pokemon. With this diversity of belief, there is conflict. But the message behind all of it is coexistence. Coexisting with one another despite differences in belief, and coexisting with other species. Because, the hero of the game realizes that the world is NOT Black and White. The villains of the game see the world as Black and White. And yet at the same time they are not evil, their goal is pure. There's only one corrupt evil character. Geechisu/Ghetis, who brainwashed his son and his organization in order to attain power. But the organizations goals were in favour of protecting Pokemon from harm from humans-can't blame them for that considering it is true that some humans abuse Pokemon-look at Team Rocket and all the previous villains. In the end, N and the rest of Team Plasma realize that they were wrong, that there are GREY areas in between the Black and White! All of this is represented by Reshiram/Zekrom and Kyerum. Reshiram being truth, light, Zekrom being power/darkness, and Kyerum being the absence of both and the absense of energy (fire and electricity are forms of energy, also plasma is energy that makes up fire and electricity-the typing of Reshiram and Zekrom! Also Reshiram and Zekrom represent the Yin and Yang, they represent balance. The hero/player character is seeking to protect that balance from Geechisu disrupting that balance. It's brilliant! Also the games are very Westernized which is very interesting to see! We see American themes, and we see European themes. N is king, Team Plasma are knights. The game plays out like a Chess game. The gym leaders of Isshu Vs. The Seven Sages of Team Plasma. The epic battle between N and the hero, with the legendary dragons...amazing! The sentimental end to the game between N and the player...it's so sweet!

Everything about this game is amazing.

The Pokemon's designs, the music, the graphics, and most importantly the plot.

It is DEFINITELY the most AMAZING Pokemon game of all time.

I hope I didn't miss any of my points, I could write a book on how amazing the plots symbolism and philosophy is.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    In JAPANESE they are the great Pokemon games EVER made.

The plot...it's the plot! The plot is so meaning, symbolic, philosophical! No Pokemon game has ever been so uplifting and DEEP! It's so much better than the other games because the other games were just the average gym battling, elite four, defeat evil team. But this, even though it does follow that pattern...it's just so much more involved and intellectual. It really makes you think about philosophy, and moral choices.

I just love how symbolic it is. It's so hard to put it into words. I'll give it a shot.

Isshu/Unova is a land that is separate from the 4 previous regions. Places that are isolated have higher diversity-which is true for this game! There is diversity of character/people, ideals, beliefs, and of course species of Pokemon. With this diversity of belief, there is conflict. But the message behind all of it is coexistence. Coexisting with one another despite differences in belief, and coexisting with other species. Because, the hero of the game realizes that the world is NOT Black and White. The villains of the game see the world as Black and White. And yet at the same time they are not evil, their goal is pure. There's only one corrupt evil character. Geechisu/Ghetis, who brainwashed his son and his organization in order to attain power. But the organizations goals were in favour of protecting Pokemon from harm from humans-can't blame them for that considering it is true that some humans abuse Pokemon-look at Team Rocket and all the previous villains. In the end, N and the rest of Team Plasma realize that they were wrong, that there are GREY areas in between the Black and White! All of this is represented by Reshiram/Zekrom and Kyerum. Reshiram being truth, light, Zekrom being power/darkness, and Kyerum being the absence of both and the absense of energy (fire and electricity are forms of energy, also plasma is energy that makes up fire and electricity-the typing of Reshiram and Zekrom! Also Reshiram and Zekrom represent the Yin and Yang, they represent balance. The hero/player character is seeking to protect that balance from Geechisu disrupting that balance. It's brilliant! Also the games are very Westernized which is very interesting to see! We see American themes, and we see European themes. N is king, Team Plasma are knights. The game plays out like a Chess game. The gym leaders of Isshu Vs. The Seven Sages of Team Plasma. The epic battle between N and the hero, with the legendary dragons...amazing! The sentimental end to the game between N and the player...it's so sweet!

Everything about this game is amazing.

The Pokemon's designs, the music, the graphics, and most importantly the plot.

It is DEFINITELY the most AMAZING Pokemon game of all time.

I hope I didn't miss any of my points, I could write a book on how amazing the plots symbolism and philosophy is.

This makes me even more excited to play it in a language I understand, haha. :P

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • HG/SS are my favorites because not only were they fabulous remakes of a nostalgic classic, they were really TWO games in one. Two regions, two sets of badges. The following Pokemon was a mechanic we ached for ever since Yellow, and I am GRAVELY disappointed it did not carry over to Black and White.

I'm as excited for BW as everyone else, but when they come up with stupid ideas like the Wonder Launcher, one just starts to worry if they'll accept any idea these days. Any real competitor should be disgusted at that, IMO.

Why do they have to dick us around with this PokeTransfer? When will they learn to just let us migrate our entire collection at once and not waste our time with this?!

The triple battle thing is going to get confusing for me, IMO. I'll adapt as best I can, but I will continue to play nothing but Lv. 100 Single Battles against other players.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    No.....Crystal is my favourite ever game.

I've finished playing my Black version in Japanese and I think the characters speak too much.
    The trading time takes forever...it's so slow...

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Black and White are definitely great games...but for me, I think they fall just short of the title "greatest Pokemon game". For me, i would have to go with HG/SS. They are awesome remakes with fantastic graphics/music!

Years
  • Got my copy of white this morning. I must say this game is the best in pokemon history. Personally I'll be playing this game for along time to come.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Black and White are definitely great games...but for me, I think they fall just short of the title "greatest Pokemon game". For me, i would have to go with HG/SS. They are awesome remakes with fantastic graphics/music!

Totally Agree with you. Gym leader and Elite Four redesign, i love 'em all especially Price, Morty, Mikan(forgot the english name), Lance and Blaine. Combined with the awesome battle music, i'm always hoping that they have harder battle to fit the music more.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Yes, I would say so. :)

Except maybe for the originals. =p

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    I would have to agree. this game is soooo fun, I am enjoying it way more than all of the others. My old favorite was emerald.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I don't know, I don't think i'm ready to go calling it my favorite version just yet but it has held my attention more so than HG or Pearl for that matter. I'm only on the second gym, so I have yet to go through the whole plot and I haven't read anything on it (keeping it that way!).

However, as of right now, my favorite version is still old school crystal just because I adore the horrid 2D graphics (the 3D graphics will not cease to throw me off) and the city layouts/gym leaders/etc. Sapphire is a close second.

I do think B/W will make it in my top three though, if it doesn't take sapphire for the number 2 spot on my list ha ;P

molepeople27

Pumpkin King
    Years
  • I don't know.
    I really think it depends on what you grew up with.
    But I've loved every pokemon rpg.
    So i can't say fo' sho' XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I honestly think White at least, which I haven't even completed fully, is the best game ever. Sure there are some Pokemon that aren't that appealing, but on the plus side, the new features, the new region, the fact that there's only 156 straight away, and considering the fact that the region looks so great, yeah, I consider White the best at least. :D And when I fully complete it, I'm sure I'll still continue thinking that! Every minor flaw makes up for a major awesome thing, really. :)

Years
  • It's a very good game, it's hard to judge between each of the series though.

The one thing I loved about B/W is the ending after the first time you go through the Pokemon League, I won't give any hints as I don't want to spoil it for people that don't know, but that's been my favourite part so far.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I don't think it's the best game ever. I think elements of it are better than in any other Pokemon game, like the plot and the general immersiveness of the atmosphere. There are also some brilliant set-pieces, like the lead up to climactic battle with N (avoiding spoilers here) and the battle itself; also when I first went over the Skyarrow Bridge I was pretty impressed.

One of the best thing Black and White do is distribute the Pokemon a bit more evenly. Whereas in past games - Diamond and Pearl especially, with Bidoofs everywhere - new Routes didn't necessarily mean new Pokemon, that really is the case in Black and White. Most new Routes contain not only a wide variety of Pokemon (instead of just Bidoof/Starly, or Bibarel/Staravia) but also new Pokemon; even quite early on (as in, after the first and second Gym) I actually found myself having to choose between several cool Pokemon of a similar level to fill out my eventual team, which was a novel and awesome experience. I already had more than 6 Pokemon I actually wanted to raise, as opposed to having my starter + 5 Bidoofs. It should also make Nuzlockes all the more special.

That's not to say the games aren't without their faults, though. There's no Pokewalker/Pokemon following the trainer, which is a big, big miss for me. There's also no Battle Frontier as far as I can tell, which is another great shame given that I'd just got into it in Gen IV. The Pokemon Musicals are a shoddy replacement for Pokeathlon and Contests; I've seen a few videos of them and never even been slightly tempted to try them, because they look pointless and irritating. And why do we have to hold B to run again?! Utterly inexplicable, I loved having the auto-run function in HG/SS; in fact, I never use the bike in those games. I really hope the 3rd game fixes at least some of these major complaints.

All in all, I think it's quite telling that I'm still keeping HeartGold as my main game, with my entire collection of Pokemon from Gens I-IV on it. I don't feel like I'll miss out by going back to HG after Black, although I'll definitely replay Black and White loads of times. There's loads more Gen V Pokemon I want to raise, and Black and White are fantastic games in their own right.

Last edited:

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Hmm... best game yet? Tough to say, I'll see if I can't give a more definitive judgment when I play the English version on my DS. But so far...

I'd say it's definitely up there. I think the third version could very well be the best one when it comes out, since there's always bonus stuff added- but that's a year or two away so I'll ignore that for now.

Black and White did something really good in not presenting any older Pokemon until postgame, which forces the player to actually get to know the new batch hands-on, the first time the games have really done this. In generations past you could make teams entirely of first and second generation Pokemon and totally pass up the newbies.

Moving sprites and the huge increase in battle speed definitely make the game feel more realistic to me. More than ever, it feels like my Pokemon are living creatures as opposed to sprites on a screen, and the effort put into animating them all and even closing their eyes when asleep shows this was a labor of love, and I appreciate it.

The plot is also far deeper and more complex than anything that's come before, asking us to consider if catching and battling Pokemon is morally wrong. N is probably the most interesting, fleshed-out character the series has ever produced.

Right now I'd have to say Platinum is my choice for current best, but that may well change. I'm surprised at all the people saying the Johto games- what with the somewhat weak plot, terrible level curve, and barebones Kanto, I feel that from a critical standpoint they're actually the worst games. They look nice, yeah, but they're easy to play and they just feel rough and unfinished.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Wasn't it IGN that gave it a perfect 40 out of 40?

Anyway, I think that it deserves the title as "best Pokemon game ever". The plot of the game was AMAZING. I really liked it, and all the new things and Pokemon just made it great. I'd certainly give it a perfect grade.

Back