• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Backers, Inafune has made you his *****. Next time, just say "No" to Kickstarter. I've never crowdfuned anything and I'm glad I don't. In my opinion, it's a very shady business tactic.
    Well, that's what people get for backing Inafune.
    I have also never crowdfunded, but I don't think it's THAT bad.
    It's just... it should be left to relatively unknown developers that have an interesting concept, not to old burned out 'stars' of gaming industry that only get money for their name.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    I think crowdfunding has had some successes before. I haven't tried my copy of Mighty No. 9 yet (I'm waiting to get over some sickness so I can sit down in front of a camera and try it), so I can't say if its good or bad yet, but I several people I know ended up backing Shovel Knight, which I personally think is one of the best games to come out in recent years.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I don't think that Mighty 9 is going to be like Daikatana Bad, but it does make sense for it to feel like letdown given its huge budget and numerous delays. While it may not be the Duke Nukem F of this generation, it certainly has the reviewers going for it. And as mentioned earlier, Call is there. At least some eye candy exists in the game.

pkmin3033

Well, after the delays, and the hype surrounding it, it was fairly obvious that it wasn't going to live up to expectations. This is partly why I'm so worried about Yooka-Laylee's delay...there is no reason to think it will go the same way. But, initially, there was no reason to think Mighty No. 9 was going to end up this way either.

This is part of the problem with crowdfunding...it's a pretty risky leap of faith for gamers.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    And that is why I prefer "early access" over Kickstarter funded things. At least for Early Access, you dump a little bit of cash and you get to play the game. I wish i can defend Killing Floor 2's still Early Access status though, and it was just last year (I think) where i was force dumping Killing Floor 2 during daily discussions T__T

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    And that is why I prefer "early access" over Kickstarter funded things. At least for Early Access, you dump a little bit of cash and you get to play the game. I wish i can defend Killing Floor 2's still Early Access status though, and it was just last year (I think) where i was force dumping Killing Floor 2 during daily discussions T__T
    Problem with Early Access is that the developers really have no obligation to ever deliver a full game or keep adding features/bug fixes once the game's sold a certain amount. This is my biggest worry with EA games (not EA- there are a bunch of other worries in regards to that company), and with the semi-recent success and popularizing (largely due to the viral nature of LPs, especially when played en masse)of Slime Rancher and a few others (such as Besiege, Subnautica, and the E3 presented "The Happy Few"), I feel they may fall into that same trap. It's happened before. Anodyne, The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, and various others. I can't tell you how many reviews I've seen that've started with "This game had promise, but..." Not forgetting to mention the games that fall into development Hell because the developer either stopped caring or made enough to not have to anymore (Delver and the wonderfully horrid Vox being perfect examples).

Such is the problem with hype- especially when applied to available-yet-unfinished games. This isn't to say that it always happens. Darkest Dungeon, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Tabletop Simulator are wonderful examples of games that've gone through EA and were probably better off for it. It's not definite, and I don't think games that go through EA are condemned to such a fate, but the risk is definitely there.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    I just got my PSN code for Mighty Number 9. It doesn't work.

... which I find to be quite fitting, actually.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Back to the Grind(stone)

Just been reading MN9's reviews on Steam. if i looked like Mirai (oh you little perverts imagining me as a little girl), i'd be crying like her regarding MN9's release ending up as an overly hyped mess.

Just quoting some of the steam user reviews. For once, i can find them somehow legit:
    The greatest sin a game can commit is being bland, and this game commits that sin. It's not awful, there's even some good fun to be had in some parts, but it's just so VANILLA and uninspired. It doesn't know whether it wants to be Megaman Classic, Megaman X, Megaman Zero, a score attack game, or a speedrun game. It doesn't have a great visual style, the soundtrack's just kind of... there, and the overreliance on the dash leads to a lot of really dumb boss and level designs. It wouldn't be getting as much vitriol if it weren't so hyped, but Comcept clearly should have spent more of the design tme polishing the gameplay and less time trying to make it into a franchise before it had a chance to get started.
    Whelp there's the "being bland" statement over there.​

The game play is okay. Its just not quite enough like megaman. Far too much Combo On Combo action. It makes me as sad as an Anime fan on prom night.

- and this is why I'm using Sad Mirai as my facial expression regarding MN9 on its release.​

It is an incredible downgrade from what was depicted during the Kickstart campaign
    Oh man, to those who have followed the Kickstarter campaign blogs..​

Back to the Grind(stone)

Its not even a Prom Night (Well the Prom Night for my Alma Mater or the high school i came from doesn't even start until next year), I'm an anime fan, which is why I'm spamming Beyond the Boundary Mirai GIFS, I'm not a bad guy, but I'm not an overly good guy (since when was i squaky clean?), I'm THE GUY a Doomguy, but I'm sad as heck.

And the worst part is that Inti Creates, the same studio who made the EXCELSOR Megaman Zero series was a part of this.

Well I hope that Necrum isn't around while some of us are randomly bantering about Mighty No. 9 since he's may have already saw the user and critic reviews and felt that a part of his soul died, and became a FNAF Monster.

Sir Codin

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ina...of-mighty-no-9-is-better-than-nothing/0168798

Hahahahah. Aw man, fuck Inafune. Seriously.

Keiji Inafune may just be one of the biggest con-artists in the gaming industry.

You've delayed the game for months and months only to release something incredibly mediocre with very little effort put in and on top of that the people who gave you money for this were given the wrong fucking download codes and all you can say is "It's better than nothing?"

I'm so happy I didn't back this, and I say this all the time but Keiji Inafune will never see a penny of my money.

Yukari

After all the crap that's happened, it looks like the game turned out about like I expected. I was really excited for this game, especially considering my love of platformers and the fact that I grew up with the Megaman series, but it was really over hyped and I doubt it could have ever lived up to the expectations.

Now would be the perfect time for Capcom to make a new Megaman game that puts Mighty Number 9 to shame but I know that won't happen.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I was supposed to post my killer smack line but god damn my Laptop just crashed on me.

So here it is.
    Back to the Grind(stone)

if things go well, there'll be sequels

Back to the Grind(stone)

THINKING OF SEQUELS!? SEEQUELS? Okay hold the phone. Anyway, Inafune was also trying to get MN9 into other ventures outside of the video game when the damn game was undergoing development hell. What was he thinking? MN9 the movie?

My friend PeePee over there is actually quite pissed that MN9 didn't come out as he'd hoped. He's already raging at how bland and uninspired the game feels while he's still managing to find what can be redeemable. He is so not un the mood right now.

I don't know who is at fault though. Inafune himself or whoever he was working with..

I might as well fire up some Megaman X8 since that is a WAY BETTER game.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    Inafune: "Hey, its better than nothing!"
    Me: "Yeah. Just like how getting a box filled with turds for Christmas as a kid would be better than nothing at all, by that logic."

On the bright side, I picked up this thing earlier at a local game shop:
    Back to the Grind(stone)

This is honestly the coolest light gun, well, ever. As disappointing as MN9 may be, at least I now have some good 'ol Lethal Enforcers on the Genesis to keep me entertained.

UPDATE: So I finally checked on my download codes for MN9 and...they sent me Steam codes. When I specifically requested the Wii U version on the survey. Good job Comcept. I wouldn't have expected anything less from such a professional company.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Have you already filed your complaint? You must have that one filed up asap.

I can already imagine either AngryJoe or ProJared being spammed requests to review Mighty No. 9 RIGHT NOW so that either one of them can rip Inafune a new butt hole.

Or probably even AVGN even if he doesn't don the AVGN persona and just play the game with Mike for a James and Mike Monday Episode. Then AlphaOmegaSin needs to do his manly rant on Mighty No. 9's failure and the future of kickstarter campaigns in video games and I can have a really FLEXED up day and lose 40 lbs more body fat and gain 50lbs more muscle.

Speaking of Light Guns...
    Back to the Grind(stone)

This baby is what i owned. I played some Time Crisis, the PSX Judge Dredd rail shooter, the rail shooter sections of Die hard trilogy 1 and 2, and many more with this bad boy. And it looks so badass. Too bad it looks so much like a real firearm that i might get shot by DA POLICE if i was seen walking around with this beast.

Also, speaking of more potential discussions on the BUS.. I advertising my thread to invite all people to join:
    Gaming and Graphic Violence

Last edited:

Sir Codin

The Beginning Hour demo for Resident Evil 7 is pretty good. Makes me really lament never getting a chance to play P.T.

A PC recreation of P.T. can be found here though: https://jedlondo.itch.io/punity/dow...LCJpZCI6MzIwNjJ9.O99ItxEFt3jyKYkIit/CCNi2sK0=

I really have no clue what possessed Konami to take P.T. off of Playstation Store, especially with how well-received it was. Sure, fine, you don't want to make the full game "Silent Hills" but don't take this off when it's become so ingrained into Survival Horror culture.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    Another Update: So I filed my complaint with Comcept. I sent several emails to them, most to the email listed on Humble Bundle to contact them with for problems with digital rewards. I have yet to hear back from them, despite it being over 24 hours. Have to be honest, a bit irked here.

Sir Codin

Another Update: So I filed my complaint with Comcept. I sent several emails to them, most to the email listed on Humble Bundle to contact them with for problems with digital rewards. I have yet to hear back from them, despite it being over 24 hours. Have to be honest, a bit irked here.
    I can't help but pity you because you're actually taking the brunt of Inafune's screwups. I've never been interested enough in Megaman to even back this game, let alone play it, but I'll be damned if a con-man gets away with his BS.

pkmin3033

Heh, Mighty No. 9 is a fine example of why developers shouldn't be tied down by past success and fan expectations...it's clearly a game trapped by the past, too afraid to be its own thing in fear of the comparisons that are coming thick and fast anyway and would have regardless.

Speaking of Kickstarters...any other Bloodstained backers get a Steam Key for the demo? I got one in my inbox this morning! Very nice surprise <3

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I still ahve no stable means of providing kickstarter backings. Oh how I wished i had an actual paying job, or I was probably streaming League and showing off my skillz (and be PokeCom's most popular League streamer, whether you'll like it or not ^^) then I get to play against the likes of Dyrus, Imaqtpie, then be friends with em, and whatnot. Oh wait, I have to live in North America if ever i would get into that level. The Challenger tier players who i play against in our own server are not even worthy names to sandbag upon.

Well in other regards, Saurian pretty much IS INDEED over its markup. I guess people really want to play some hot dinosaur action, or are big fans of jurrasic park. Speaking of Jurrasic Park..

I really still find it funny that John Romero put their own kickstarter campaign on hold after a few days. Remember, this was started back in April 25, 2016, which was basically a few days before the release of DOOM 2016. Then on April 29, they announced a stop to the campaign in order for them to create a demo. Then again I said this in previous posts. I did forget to mention that maybe, just maybe they thought DOOM 2016 was not going to live up to its roots, but obviously the complete opposite happened. God Romero overpredicted.

OH LOOK, AN IMPORTANT LOOKING PIECE OF E-JOURNALISM.
    What can we learn from Mighty no. 9's troubled launch

and here's one thing that I do agree with:
    Back to the Grind(stone)

Look at how many platforms that they tried to release the game into. PC, XBoner, PS Quadra, PS Triple, XBox360, 3DS, WiiU, and even PSVita? They might as well have included Mac and Linux as well. At least Mac users can join in the sh*tstorm as well.

pkmin3033

The more platforms a game is on, the better. I mean, exclusivity is becoming less and less relevant with each generation, with most third party titles being shared equally between consoles, and PC gaming and emulation bridging the gap meaning that even first-party exclusives are no longer quite as exclusive as they used to be. I mean, there are still a lot of exclusives to separate consoles out, but third-party exclusivity is, and should be, a thing of the distant past. I think Kickstarters NEED that multi-platform format in order to be successful too, as it draws in as many people as possible...and, since they're asking the public to fund their games, yeah. The more you appeal to, the better.

Also, I've figured out how to record stuff, and I'm working on streaming. Yay!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Ideally yes Multi platforming is the key. However, said dev studio should be ready in doing so like how are they going to make their game engine and other game programming related algorithms work for the rest of the other platforms, especially the older generation platforms or Nintendo's stuff (oops shotsfired).

I'm just pointing out that it could have been a problem to ComCept in their execution. Trying to port the game into so many ports and system but then again, they were given a huge budget so they still had no excuse.

Also, X:Men Destiny could have been one of the best X:Men games ever. Why are people so cruel to this game? Because of the use of the tried-tested-and-oversued DMC Style beat up em with Upgrades? Because it doesn't cover the Xmen universe as much as it should? Because you don't play as the X-Men and instead play as 1 of three generic flat lined avatars? Yet the game has a very deep and intricate upgrade system that makes players make their own set of super powers and abilities to definite their mutant? The game offers BOTH X-Men and Brotherhood missions, enabling one to pick sides, the game has really good set pieces and boss battles (Especially the Sentinel fight).. and NO. I'm not using AngryJoe as my side captain for this. Some of my friends owned XMD and they thought it was a great game, only hampered by performance issues on some areas. Then again, maybe because XMD felt that it could have been a far better game should more time and discipline be given in its creation.

My inner X-Powers are awakened. Time to pick a fight with Wolverine and Deadpool at the same time as a workout routine.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back